• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

osby

Smash Obsessed
That actually begs the question, was a Castlevania character more requested than Bomberman? I'm not so sure it was.
Maybe not as an individual character, but considering Sakurai sited Belmonts along with Ridley and K.Rool, I think it's safe to say Castlevania characters probably got more votes than Bomberman in total.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Maybe not as an individual character, but considering Sakurai sited Belmonts along with Ridley and K.Rool, I think it's safe to say Castlevania characters probably got more votes than Bomberman in total.
Simon at least was definitely in my top ten most wanted characters so I can see how others wanted him in before Bomberman.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
That actually begs the question, was a Castlevania character more requested than Bomberman? I'm not so sure it was.
I believe Sak's himself mentioned that there was a lot of requests for various Castlevania characters. He made Simon and Richter due to fan recodnision instead of Alucard who was the more relevant at the time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In general, Castlevania is a bigger deal than Bomberman. Out of the two, I mostly certainly would of gone with the former in a heart beat.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I believe Sak's himself mentioned that there was a lot of requests for various Castlevania characters. He made Simon and Richter due to fan recodnision instead of Alucard who was the more relevant at the time.
He also picked them because he considered the Whip an iconic part of Castlevania that he wanted to include with the series representation in Smash.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I seem to recall Rareware's properties in general being really popular in Japan? Don't understand why the "western pick" label has been applied to Banjo. Is it literally because he was created in Europe?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I seem to recall Rareware's properties in general being really popular in Japan? Don't understand why the "western pick" label has been applied to Banjo. Is it literally because he was created in Europe?

Basically, a lot of people have this mind set that Japan is super xenophobic of characters who originated in the west. Despite that this has been proven wrong again and again. K. Rool was a top request in Japan, Banjo-Kazooie is popular there as is Minecraft, Japan doesnt hate western characers

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Basically, a lot of people have this mind set that Japan is super xenophobic of characters who originated in the west. Despite that this has been proven wrong again and again. K. Rool was a top request in Japan, Banjo-Kazooie is popular there as is Minecraft, Japan doesnt hate western characers
I think it's moreso to do with the difficulty in Sakurai working with the original creators as he likes their input.

Heh, I just realised if Steve was in that would mean he'd have to deal with Notch... I'm sure resetera would love that.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's moreso to do with the difficulty in Sakurai working with the original creators as he likes their input.

Heh, I just realised if Steve was in that would mean he'd have to deal with Notch... I'm sure resetera would love that.
He doesn't have to deal with someone who no longer works on the game. Later versions of Minecraft have even unperson'd him.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

It would actually be hilarious if Microsoft and Mojang had to get Notch to work with Sakurai after dismissing him for his comments.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He doesn't have to deal with someone who no longer works on the game. Later versions of Minecraft have even unperson'd him.
IIRC Sakurai said original creators. Just because someone else is in a position of power and notch no longer is, he still knows Minecraft better than anyone.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
IIRC Sakurai said original creators. Just because someone else is in a position of power and notch no longer is, he still knows Minecraft better than anyone.
Well. I wouldn't this this exactly. Notch sold Minecraft in September of 2014. And Minecraft is now drastically different from the state he sold it in. He only knows about Minecraft all the way to that point (unless the rumors are true that he just stopped caring several years into Minecraft's release and didn't do much). I would say the current devs know way more then notch does about Minecraft because of almost 5 years worth of updates since he sold it.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Also with Joker's inclusion, I'm starting to doubt that Nintendo is picking the list of characters and it's more like Sakurai taking full control of the DLC roster picks. I don't know what reason Nintendo would really want Joker specifically for the fighter's pass when they settled for Persona 5 scramble. It feels more like a consolation prize for letting Sakurai use Joker for Smash Bros.
You say "settled," but I'm actually very excited for P5S and I'm glad it's coming to the Switch. I loved Hyrule Warriors and I'm totally down for a version of that with Persona characters, especially if P3 and P4 characters are also included. I wanna be Chie and kung fu the crap out of thousands of Shadows.

Yeah. I do know Jack. Jack Frost. I think that he would be the perfect representative for the entire SMT franchise. Joker really only represents P5 so I think choosing him was... ehhh.
Joker is cool, though. He's slick af. Jack Frost would be a better "overall" rep for Atlus, especially if they worked in some references to Jack Bros on the Virtual Boy, but he doesn't have Joker's hype factor.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Is this legit? I'd like to share it on another site but, you know, 4chan.
Go ahead and share it. Considering the poster actually delivered with the audio I'm willing to believe this is legit.

Also another observation that was shared with me on Twitter; Square is notoriously good at keeping leaks under wraps, the only reason KH3 leaked is due to copies of it being outright stolen from a warehouse, and Tasnut was only able to leak Cloud mere hours before he was officially revealed.

With that kind of reputation, it seems weird that Erdrick would leak half a year ahead of his release unless it was intentional

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
So, this isn't Banjo related at all; but it's something interesting going down with Square and sort of provides more evidence of them actively trying to shoot down leakers. Ergo, there IS the distinct possibility Erdrick is leakbait

View attachment 222450

https://streamable.com/sk23c

And the original thread

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/462770485/#q462804804
If this is true, it's funny how a man who's supposed to be quelling leaks, is leaking that he's a leak "queller" XD

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Go ahead and share it. Considering the poster actually delivered with the audio I'm willing to believe this is legit.

Also another observation that was shared with me on Twitter; Square is notoriously good at keeping leaks under wraps, the only reason KH3 leaked is due to copies of it being outright stolen from a warehouse, and Tasnut was only able to leak Cloud mere hours before he was officially revealed.

With that kind of reputation, it seems weird that Erdrick would leak half a year ahead of his release unless it was intentional
Yeah but like, who is this guy and do we have reason to believe him? Is he someone important or trustworthy?

EDIT: Okay did some research on the guy, is there any way to prove the allegations in the original 4chan post true? Mr. Happy definitely had an interview with Yoshida but how do we know the rest is true?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It looks like we have a new thing to keep in mind leading up to E3. He seems to provide a bit of proof he knows people at the end of the post.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...m-before-the-storm-massive-info-dump.1482022/
Guess what is missing.

There is the chance that maybe Microsoft opted to make all the Banjo announcements during Nintendo's direct. Companies tend to do that during E3. Make announcements during different presentations. But I think it's time to start getting expectations in check. Surprising though is that Minecraft seems missing. Microsoft always finds a way to announce something Minecraft at E3.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

osby

Smash Obsessed
Joker is created by Katsura Hashino who no longer works in P-Team, but Sakurai was still able to get Joker with only talking to current development team.

Video game characters are handled by different people all the time.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It looks like we have a new thing to keep in mind leading up to E3. He seems to provide a bit of proof he knows people at the end of the post.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...m-before-the-storm-massive-info-dump.1482022/
Guess what is missing.

There is the chance that maybe Microsoft opted to make all the Banjo announcements during Nintendo's direct. Companies tend to do that during E3. Make announcements during different presentations. But I think it's time to start getting expectations in check. Surprising though is that Minecraft seems missing. Microsoft always finds a way to announce something Minecraft at E3.
Minecraft has Minecon just before E3 so it's unlikely to have much of a presence at E3.

My cynicism tells me there's no Banjo anywhere this E3. Seems to be a running trend after all.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft has Minecon just before E3 so it's unlikely to have much of a presence at E3.

My cynicism tells me there's no Banjo anywhere this E3. Seems to be a running trend after all.
Banjo in Smash would never be announced at a Microsoft event.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't lose hope.

Between the current relationship of Nintendo with Microsoft and the merchandising for Banjo we got last year alongside the confirmed presence of First4Figures at the Microsoft conference... The Spiral Mountain duo seems likely again.

It could be supported by a Banjo-related reveal at the Microsoft event doh, like a new remaster or title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
If there is indeed a Rare Replay on Switch + Smash announcement, I highly doubt that it wouldn't be during Ninty's own presentation. If all the Banjo stuff is happening on a different console, I would let the other guy do the work while focusing on my own thing, ya know?

D

Deleted member

If there is indeed a Rare Replay on Switch + Smash announcement, I highly doubt that it wouldn't be during Ninty's own presentation. If all the Banjo stuff is happening on a different console, I would let the other guy do the work while focusing on my own thing, ya know?
I have a feeling that Microsoft could announce a new Banjo-related project at their conference to push the Switch-related news before the Nintendo conference.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Oh absolutely not, but despite popularity and support it still seems too good to be true to get him in Smash.

And if Banjo doesn't pop up in Microsoft's presentation it indicates they aren't doing anything with him (IE no N Sane Trilogy style remasters or Threeie).

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Oh absolutely not, but despite popularity and support it still seems too good to be true to get him in Smash.

And if Banjo doesn't pop up in Microsoft's presentation it indicates they aren't doing anything with him (IE no N Sane Trilogy style remasters or Threeie).

Banjo in Smash seems a lot more likely to me than Banjo getting a new game.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I do find the idea of a remaster at the level of N.Sane Trilogy possible doh.
I mean, it's certainly possible but the audience for a new Banjo is a lot smaller than the audience for Crash and Spyro, since those games sold a magnitude more than the Banjo games did due to the sales gap between PS1 and N64.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It could be a Konami sort of situation. Put the characters in Smash Bros, then work on a new game.

Personally I would prefer if Nintendo bought the rights to Banjo Kazooie and then hired Playtonic to work on a new Banjo Kazooie game but that is a one in a million chance.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice

Minecon happens on September 28th though. That is way after E3.

Last edited:
Guess what is missing.

It’s been said over and over that Nintendo would be the ones to make Nintendo announcements

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I mean, it's certainly possible but the audience for a new Banjo is a lot smaller than the audience for Crash and Spyro, since those games sold a magnitude more than the Banjo games did due to the sales gap between PS1 and N64.
Actually that's not true. Banjo Kazooie sold 3.65m on the N64, Spyro 2 sold 3.45m and Spyro 3 sold 3.2 million.

Tooie sold "over 3 million" so it's possible both Banjo games outsold Spyro 2 and 3, but at the very least the first Banjo did outsell the 2 Spyro sequels (Spyro 1 sold over 4.8 million).

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Banjo in Smash seems a lot more likely to me than Banjo getting a new game.
Ironically i think both are equally highly possible. Both things would happen because of the fan demand and love towards the franchise all these years, I could see them doing both and the self promoting would work instantly both ways a the present time.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Is this legit? I'd like to share it on another site but, you know, 4chan.
It's an anonymous 4chan rumor, so that gives an idea of how legit it is, no matter what "evidence" is presented.

Guess what is missing.

While I've entertained the idea in the past, I've been convinced if Microsoft is doing anything on a Nintendo platform, it would show up in Nintendo's conference, whether it be Banjo in Smash or Rare Replay on Switch. The only thing that would show up at Microsoft's is if they made a Banjo-Threeie, which Grant has shot down (for the time being), and given Mayles statements, I just don't expect it any time soon.

Top Bottom