• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Nintendo must have really learned a lesson in the leak department. Because there hasn't been any super concrete leaks yet. Even base Ultimate had a Ken image leak out. Since Joker there has been absolutely nothing besides 1 vague codename.

Heck most.people have kinda gave up making fake image leaks. During base game speculation there seemed to be a new one to debunk every week.
**Sassy Geno Vietnam flashbacks intensifie**
**Noodle fingers Banjo Vietnam flashbacks intensifie**

But yeah , more seriously , I agree with your point.
Except for leaking stage builder in official marketing , that one was uh... Well , lack of communication and bad timing.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
**Sassy Geno Vietnam flashbacks intensifie**
**Noodle fingers Banjo Vietnam flashbacks intensifie**

But yeah , more seriously , I agree with your point.
Except for leaking stage builder in official marketing , that one was uh... Well , lack of communication and bad timing.
1555901507317.png

A thought did cross my mind about leaks. With how most of the leakers regarding Steve either quit, disappeared, or retracted their claim, is it possible that he was leak-bait? It may be false, but I think Hitagi quit because their leak claim regarding Steve got someone fired.

No one cares what Xenother has to say and Vergeben's credibility has been tanked. I believe Sabi has claimed that Vergeben's "leaks" are piggybacking on others.

This would mean that Steve was a red herring. Most of the insiders that went with Banjo-kazooie have not retracted their claim, or like Sabi, has less confidence in Steve.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve being leak-bait is absolutely a possibility. But others can be too, including Banjo. Another possible one would be Erdrick. Doesn't seem like any others show up extremely often enough to be possible ones. Maybe most of the Square 7? I dunno.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
3 weeks left till E3, leakers still know nothing about anything (as expected). Props to Nintendo for actually handling leaks better this time (altho i do expect actual real stuff to pop up a week before E3 or within its week).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 222286
A thought did cross my mind about leaks. With how most of the leakers regarding Steve either quit, disappeared, or retracted their claim, is it possible that he was leak-bait? It may be false, but I think Hitagi quit because their leak claim regarding Steve got someone fired.

No one cares what Xenother has to say and Vergeben's credibility has been tanked. I believe Sabi has claimed that Vergeben's "leaks" are piggybacking on others.

This would mean that Steve was a red herring. Most of the insiders that went with Banjo-kazooie have not retracted their claim, or like Sabi, has less confidence in Steve.
Interesting information, Mr. Stagg. Now, keep in mind that Banjo-Kazooie themselves may also not be in the game as DLC at all, nor any Microsoft character, but it is nice to see that the bear and bird have less competition now, it seems.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Steve being leak-bait is absolutely a possibility. But others can be too, including Banjo. Another possible one would be Erdrick. Doesn't seem like any others show up extremely often enough to be possible ones. Maybe most of the Square 7? I dunno.
Banjo would have to be rumored to be leak bait. :p I guess you could sorta say Wabi (Edit: Sabi)/IGC, but it's debatable given their admitted uncertainty, the validity of their sources, there'd have to be some corroboration before taken seriously. Unlike Verge, who does have a good track record (with Smash) and his confidence in his claims. But other than 4chan posts, Banjo rarely makes an appearance in rumor circles.

I think it's safe to not consider any rumored character leakbait/confirmed--it's the easiest way to conform to our confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Banjo would have to be rumored to be leak bait. :p I guess you could sorta say Wabi/IGC, but it's debatable given their admitted uncertainty, the validity of their sources, there'd have to be some corroboration before taken seriously. Unlike Verge, who does have a good track record (with Smash) and his confidence in his claims. But other than 4chan posts, Banjo rarely makes an appearance in rumor circles.

I think it's safe to not consider any rumored character leakbait/confirmed--it's the easiest way to conform to our confirmation bias.
Banjo is definitely rumored enough. Keep in mind not every leaker will leak something. Just because a few bring it out doesn't mean he can't be leak-bait.

But yeah, your last sentence is my point. Anybody show shows up late(Banjo actually does show up a lot) could be potential leak-bait. Especially when insiders start talking about him. It get sketchy. Best to stay skeptical.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo is definitely rumored enough. Keep in mind not every leaker will leak something. Just because a few bring it out doesn't mean he can't be leak-bait.

But yeah, your last sentence is my point. Anybody show shows up late(Banjo actually does show up a lot) could be potential leak-bait. Especially when insiders start talking about him. It get sketchy. Best to stay skeptical.
I haven't heard any insiders talking about Banjo. The closest was Ryce, saying he thinks he's likely (with no information of his own, just speculation). There's Wabi (Edit: Sabi)/IGC, but I've mentioned the issues with even calling them rumors at this point. Outside of that and 4chan posts (which should rarely if ever be taken seriously), I haven't heard anything. Banjo shows up a lot in speculation, but in terms of credible rumors, virtually nothing. And of course Banjo or any character could be leakbait without actually being leaked by anybody--but that also goes for every other possible character as well.

All that having been said, I haven't paid as much attention to the rumor mill so I've probably missed some stuff (cursory glance at the rumor wiki comes up nothing other than 4chan stuff). My attention to Banjo recently has been coming up with my fan fiction for Banjo-Threeie. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I haven't heard any insiders talking about Banjo. The closest was Ryce, saying he thinks he's likely (with no information of his own, just speculation). There's Wabi/IGC, but I've mentioned the issues with even calling them rumors at this point. Outside of that and 4chan posts (which should rarely if ever be taken seriously), I haven't heard anything. Banjo shows up a lot in speculation, but in terms of credible rumors, virtually nothing. And of course Banjo or any character could be leakbait without actually being leaked by anybody--but that also goes for every other possible character as well.

All that having been said, I haven't paid as much attention to the rumor mill so I've probably missed some stuff (cursory glance at the rumor wiki comes up nothing other than 4chan stuff). My attention to Banjo recently has been coming up with my fan fiction for Banjo-Threeie. :chuckle:
Who is Wabi? Do you mean Sabi? She's definitely an insider by all means if you do. If you mean someone else, then Sabi definitely has talked about him being in.

You pretty much said my point over the leakbait factor. Just cause a lot of people doesn't talk about it doesn't mean it isn't true(I might've misplaced a negative there, but you get the gist). I'm in the "don't take rumors too seriously". Same reason I don't take Tansut seriously, when the only thing he got right was a claim of Cloud... which he made the claim he leaked it after Cloud was announced. I'm very skeptical of him. It doesn't help he has given zero reasons to believe Erdrick is in.

Sabi and IGC are far more trustworthy, same with Verge, at this point. Far more of a track record to look at, and we also know they aren't perfect, which is a good thing too. Of course, the problem with Verge right now is he's trying to move the goalposts about the "SE character not being the first one shown." It'd be better if he just admitted it might've been leak-bait and move on.

Mr. Stagg

I do have my bias, I'll admit that. It still stands that Banjo-kazooie's standing with insiders is far more favorable than others.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do have my bias, I'll admit that. It still stands that Banjo-kazooie's standing with insiders is far more favorable than others.
Oh, I'm not accusing anyone of bias at all.

Leaks are a funny thing in that regard. Many believe them if they have their favorite character there(and vice versa). Some don't regardless. I'm not going to call out anyone cause there's no need to. I'm more suggesting we should be a bit careful in who we trust, that's all. :)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The way Verg defends the SE character but the sketchy uncertainty behind it all has me believe that Nintendo was negotiating with Square but a bunch of legal hullabaloo is making things difficult.

Is there anyone who stands as firmly behind Banjo as Verg has with the SE character?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way Verg defends the SE character but the sketchy uncertainty behind it all has me believe that Nintendo was negotiating with Square but a bunch of legal hullabaloo is making things difficult.
It's also possible he got his information well before negotiations were even close to finished.

I think the problem is while he tries to wait for more evidence, he sometimes just lets loose information without waiting long enough. He has a hard time keeping his trap shut. Of course, to be fair, sometimes he has believed bad sources(like the earlier Nintendo direct), but he's only human as well. Going all in was still dumb. Just saying he heard these rumors would've been enough.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't think the SE rep is leakbait. I think it's old information before negotiations didn't work out. The list of names could easily have been who they discussed to add to smash and they just couldn't come to a deal with any of them.

Steve/Banjo being leak bait would be interesting because the other big names Master Chief and Cuphead have already been deconfirmed outright. Using them for leakbait means there might be another character they wanted instead. But what would that leave us? Conker, Battletoads, Generic Forza Guy? I know it's a rhetorical question because I know there is a few characters Microsoft could use in smash. But using big names like Banjo and Steve to hide that character seems like a really odd move to me. And even possibly ineffective because Banjo is a part of every other fake leak. So it could be hard to prove if the person they fed the leakbait to is spoiling secrets or not. I mean Steve might be effective I think? Because it wasn't until the last year when he started popping up in insider talk and fake leaks. It might have been easier to find a person leaking Steve then it would be for a person leaking Banjo?

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've gotta say, if Nintendo and Microsoft are at the table then Banjo is indeed inevitable. Both parties know for a stone-cold fact that Banjo is the biggest MS-affiliated thing that Nintendo fans care about. Phil Spencer and some Rare folks have talked very openly about their support for Banjo in Smash, and now we have this IndieGamerChick thing that, personally, I totally believe.

I have a feeling Rare Replay on Switch may be a little too ambitious but there's no doubt in my mind that Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie will be playable on a Nintendo console in the very near future, be it the Switch or its successor. Maybe (and this is me being very optimistic) we'll even get an N. Sane/Reignited-style HD remake, which would just tickle me silly.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've gotta say, if Nintendo and Microsoft are at the table then Banjo is indeed inevitable. Both parties know for a stone-cold fact that Banjo is the biggest MS-affiliated thing that Nintendo fans care about. Phil Spencer and some Rare folks have talked very openly about their support for Banjo in Smash, and now we have this IndieGamerChick thing that, personally, I totally believe.

I have a feeling Rare Replay on Switch may be a little too ambitious but there's no doubt in my mind that Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie will be playable on a Nintendo console in the very near future, be it the Switch or its successor. Maybe (and this is me being very optimistic) we'll even get an N. Sane/Reignited-style HD remake, which would just tickle me silly.
Can someone explain to me who this "IndieGamerChick" is and what they have claimed?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me who this "IndieGamerChick" is and what they have claimed?
Short version

Who she is: She does a lot of bundles for Microsoft and is a prominent indie game reviewer, hence the name. Sabi I think knows her irl to some degree (might be wrong on that one)
What she's claimed: I know I'm getting some details wrong on this one, but her big claim to fame is that she knew ahead of time who would be temporarily stepping into the place of Mr. Iwata after he died and left the Nintendo presidency vacant; aside from that she's gotten

The Metroid 2 Remake that happened on 3DS
Simon and Richter
SNES classic and Star Fox 2 finally being finished

Though she's gotten a few things wrong, she swore up and down the N64 Classic was happening (Although that still COULD happen), but she's been heavily backing Banjo for awhile now. She deletes her tweets whenever she leaks stuff though, hence all the screencaps

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
If there is an N64 classic, I bet Microsoft will leak it via their E3 questionnaire, like they did with the SNES classic.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't know why but I feel like mentioning this again. If a Microsoft character is in the game it would either be Banjo or Steve. Pretty much no one else makes sense. I think that's been settled.

But it's ultimately up to Nintendo and Sakurai if they rather have a representative from one of the most iconic and successful series of all time, or a classic fan favorite.

There's no way of predicting that. They both have a ton going for them. But I worry that Steve might have the edge by just how big Minecraft is. And like I mentioned before, big names usually have a leg up over fan favorites and classic characters. Especially with DLC.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

I don't know why but I feel like mentioning this again. If a Microsoft character is in the game it would either be Banjo or Steve. Pretty much no one else makes sense. I think that's been settled.

But it's ultimately up to Nintendo and Sakurai if they rather have a representative from one of the most iconic and successful series of all time, or a classic fan favorite.

There's no way of predicting that. They both have a ton going for them. But I worry that Steve might have the edge by just how big Minecraft is. And like I mentioned before, big names usually have a leg up over fan favorites and classic characters. Especially with DLC.
Since I'm sick of hearing about Steve I'll at least go onto say that Banjo and Kazooie are far more requested for far longer. I still believe Phil Spencer's support is what puts Banjo-kazooie far ahead in terms of likeliness. Nintendo has shown that they would rather go with the fans instead of the "logical" business decisions. K.rool is proof of this, at least in regards to Smash bros.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo has shown that they would rather go with the fans instead of the "logical" business decisions. K.rool is proof of this, at least in regards to Smash bros.
Not sure if you can prove the what Nintendo's strategy of choosing DLC characters from one character that Sakurai had chose for the base game. By same logic, you can say Nintendo would rather go with business decisions because Incineroar.

I'm not saying Banjo is unlikely or Nintendo doesn't care about fan demand. But if we are going to look at previous choices to predict next newcomers, Joker would be a lot more appropriate place to start than K.Rool.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Between Steve and Banjo it is important to note that Banjo is relevant to Nintendo than Steve as the former is himself a former Nintendo All-Star. The latter is just a cross-platform character, relevant to video games, but specifically to Nintendo.

This is not to say Steve doesn’t have a chance, but that is more fodder for Banjo

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not sure if you can prove the what Nintendo's strategy of choosing DLC characters from one character that Sakurai had chose for the base game. By same logic, you can say Nintendo would rather go with business decisions because Incineroar.

I'm not saying Banjo is unlikely or Nintendo doesn't care about fan demand. But if we are going to look at previous choices to predict next newcomers, Joker would be a lot more appropriate place to start than K.Rool.
I don't think Incineroar was picked to promote Pokemon since he'd be representing Gen 7 with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon being a year old at that point and with Let's go Pikachu and Eevee out by then, incineroar wouldn't make much sense. Sakurai mentions he was picked because he left an empty spot for a Pokemon character to be used and that Incineroar was chosen because the wrestler archetype wasn't done before in Super Smash Bros although Decidueye was almost picked (That part hurt, I really wanted Decidueye).

Also with Joker's inclusion, I'm starting to doubt that Nintendo is picking the list of characters and it's more like Sakurai taking full control of the DLC roster picks. I don't know what reason Nintendo would really want Joker specifically for the fighter's pass when they settled for Persona 5 scramble. It feels more like a consolation prize for letting Sakurai use Joker for Smash Bros.

Not saying that I don't like Joker. Despite my complete apathy for him, I think he was a solid first choice for the fighter's pass.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think a lot of you put a lot of stock in the "has strong ties with Nintendo" or "has a good history with Nintendo" when characters like Cloud and Joker have shown that that doesn't mean squat. I remember hearing the whole "Rayman is very likely because of how close Ubisoft has been with Nintendo". Yeah, so much for that theory. I don't think Sakurai cares at all if a 3rd party has or had a close relationship with Nintendo. Maybe a little. But it doesn't seem to be a priority.

So if Banjo-Kazooie is chosen it will be because of how highly requested they were.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

The great news and the way I see it is that we have 4 chances (I imagine one of them is bound to happen, Hopefully more, considering the circumstances) to get Banjo-Kazooie in some way back on a Nintendo console.

From Likely to Unlikely:

- Rareware games on the N64 Classic Edition
- Rare Replay on Nintendo Switch
- Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie remastered for Xbox one/Nextbox and possibly Switch

Though Rare Replay on Switch or Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Bros could possibly go either way.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think a lot of you put a lot of stock in the "has strong ties with Nintendo" or "has a good history with Nintendo" when characters like Cloud and Joker have shown that that doesn't mean squat. I remember hearing the whole "Rayman is very likely because of how close Ubisoft has been with Nintendo". Yeah, so much for that theory. I don't think Sakurai cares at all if a 3rd party has or had a close relationship with Nintendo. Maybe a little. But it doesn't seem to be a priority.

So if Banjo-Kazooie is chosen it will be because of how highly requested they were.
That’s still only a small percentage. Let’s not forget our first Capcom character was Mega Man and not Dante. Not saying it is a necessary requirement, but it is a factor.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That’s still only a small percentage. Let’s not forget our first Capcom character was Mega Man and not Dante. Not saying it is a necessary requirement, but it is a factor.
I think it probably had more to do with how requested Mega Man is, which bodes well for Banjo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think people try too hard to look for patterns in Sakurai's behaviour but they fail to realise he basically does whatever the **** he wants to do.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think people try too hard to look for patterns in Sakurai's behaviour but they fail to realise he basically does whatever the **** he wants to do.
That's not entirely true. Yeah he chooses who gets in but fan requests (Wario, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Simon, Ridley, King K. Rool) and left field picks (Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant) are what influences his choices. If we take into account his choices from Melee to Ultimate, he seems to choose fan favourites first then left field picks afterwards.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But at the same time, Snake got in before Simon.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's not entirely true. Yeah he chooses who gets in but fan requests (Wario, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Simon, Ridley, King K. Rool) and left field picks (Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant) are what influences his choices. If we take into account his choices from Melee to Ultimate, he seems to choose fan favourites first then left field picks afterwards.
It's hard to say really. We saw Bomberman relegated to an assist (who by all accounts is a massive fan favorite) and Bayonetta and Joker are playable.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's hard to say really. We saw Bomberman relegated to an assist (who by all accounts is a massive fan favorite) and Bayonetta and Joker are playable.
Like I said, he chooses who gets in. It can also be to do if he can visualise a playable moveset for the character, hence his comments on Heihachi. It could have been the same for Bomberman despite what kind of moveset we can create for him so if he does include Banjo Kazooie, I hope he can visualise a playable moveset for the Bear and Bird.

I kind of want to see what they do when they pick up an item like maybe Kazooie is the one that holds the item and attacks with it while sitting in Banjo's backpack or when they carry a crate they both chip in to lift it together.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Like I said, he chooses who gets in. It can also be to do if he can visualise a playable moveset for the character, hence his comments on Heihachi. It could have been the same for Bomberman despite what kind of moveset we can create for him so if he does include Banjo Kazooie, I hope he can visualise a playable moveset for the Bear and Bird.

I kind of want to see what they do when they pick up an item like maybe Kazooie is the one that holds the item and attacks with it while sitting in Banjo's backpack or when they carry a crate they both chip in to lift it together.
Banjo & Kazooie are, in my opinion, one of the most translatable playable characters for Smash. Their playable moveset and attacks from their major games and animations such as idles and victory animations can all be lifted almost directly from their games without much changes aesthetically. Some minor attacks and moves such as some tilts and aerials might need to be adjusted or improvised from other fighters such as Duck Hunt, Palutena, or Charizard to make them more viable, but almost all their moves and attacks from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie would translate just about perfectly into Smash. Of course, Sakurai would have to see that potential to make them worthy in his eyes for a spot on the playable roster. I would and will main them in a heartbeat if they get in.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Bomberman was probably a case of this game having only six "proper" newcomers, and Simon obviously took priority as the new Konami rep.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

To be fair a lot of us didn't say BK would get in solely or because of Nintendo history, we just say that it plays a factor, gives an edge or couldn't hurt to have it and unlike most 3rd Party's he didn't just appear on a Nintendo console, He was owned by Nintendo at one point, But you are right that fan request would probably be the main factor.

No offense ,But I always groan when someone says "Why is Cloud in ? He doesn't have Nintendo history or never appeared on Nintendo consoles". I don't know crap or care about Final Fantasy, But the franchise had history with Nintendo before Sony came along with the Playstation, They just decided to go with the most popular character from the franchise's biggest game that just so happen to be only be available on the PS1, Bottom Line: He's representing the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole and Square Enix (3rd Party) Not Sony (1st Party).

That would almost be like if Raiden from Metal Gear Rising got in Smash Bros instead of Snake, He never appeared on Nintendo consoles as his game was on PS3 and Xbox 360 ,It would be a really weird and controversial choice ,But he would still be representing the Metar Gear franchise and Konami as a whole.

I don't know jack about Persona either ,But I've heard that it's a spinoff or has ties to another series that has has previous history on Nintendo consoles too.

Rayman still has a solid chance as DLC, His faith hasn't been sealed yet, Though I don't feel as confident about his chances as much as I did before.

Last edited:

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
I don't know jack about Persona either ,But I've heard that it's a spinoff or has ties to another series that has has previous history on Nintendo consoles too.
Yeah. I do know Jack. Jack Frost. I think that he would be the perfect representative for the entire SMT franchise. Joker really only represents P5 so I think choosing him was... ehhh.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah. I do know Jack. Jack Frost. I think that he would be the perfect representative for the entire SMT franchise. Joker really only represents P5 so I think choosing him was... ehhh.
Sorry, Your talking to the wrong person as I don't know anything about Persona or SMT.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Bomberman was probably a case of this game having only six "proper" newcomers, and Simon obviously took priority as the new Konami rep.
That actually begs the question, was a Castlevania character more requested than Bomberman? I'm not so sure it was.

Top Bottom