• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yes. Villager was only doable because he could represent the gameplay of Animal Crossing. Ness is literally a representation of the gameplay and various PSI. We literally see what the character is like.

Shulk is another example, as his gameplay was designed to show off the Monado Arts, a key part of the gameplay. Another is the reason Fire Emblem characters even have Counter. It's because it represents the idea of being able to counterattack during a battle, after your opponent makes a move. It's something some strategy rpg's have(Shining Force is another example of this. I don't remember if it exists in Disgaea). So basically, some are clearly representing part of their series' gameplay, while others were directly stated to do so. It actually is a thing and part of why he often goes for mechanics to show off a series moreso than just a quick usable moveset(only clones get those. This also includes Echoes and Semi-clones, as shown with ones like Isabelle. And not all do, as Ness was literally created from Mario, which is also why they have a lot of similar moves, the same bodyshape for the Polygon form, and he happens to be very close to Mario and Luigi on the roster slot).
Clearly you've never played Xenoblade. The monado arts are hardly key gameplay, just optional support moves, and most of the smash monado arts are completely made up. A lot of Xenoblade fans including myself were really annoyed at that mechanic as it does not in any way represent Xenoblade and is just there for the sake of an arbitrary gimmick.

Shulk's counter, however, does represent key gameplay. In Xenoblade you have visions of upcoming attacks within battles which gives you time to defend or counter against them.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

Not sure if peeps have seen this. Just want something to share. Wondering how the investigation into the Google theory is going.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
ask and ye shall receive (i have some serious beef with the way some of the moves work but otherwise i would welcome steve if he's implemented somewhat like this)
i still think banjo is more likely but denying steve because moveset potential is a really ignorant move.
Thank you very much for the video. I like the idea that he based the moveset around building but it just seems too bland. Most of the moveset consists of building cobblestone blocks and smooth stone while they constantly conflict with each other and only broadens my fear that it could be broken. More broken than Smash 4 Bayonetta or Brawl Meta Knight, only the potential would be leagues above those two.

Just a reminder there is no rule that says one company can't have multiple DLC characters. The DLC can be four more Microsoft characters if they so choose. As unlikely as that seems lol
Well that is always true that characters could always be revealed outside of the fighter pass, Joker's inclusion and the stage selection option paints a big fat no for that as of currently. I count fan rules based on patterns and they stay in place unless they are officially broken by Sakurai.

Don't worry , no harm was done.
If you still want to support the Sora fanbase , go ahead. I don't encourage anyone to stop supporting them because they have a different situation.

It honestly depend : When you think about it , dealing with 3 differents companies is easier than dealing with 5 different companies.
Think about it : Microsoft and Nintendo will be the big names at E3 , and revealing 2 characters is likely. Then why not two microsoft characters ?
Both Steve and Banjo and Kazooie getting in will make everyone happy and is completely possible :

-Both fanbases will be happy

-Sakurai get the character from the most selled video game of all time , an icon , and one of the most wanted characters in the history of Smash+ an icon of a complete genra

-Microsoft get to push even harder Minecraft and open the door for new games for Banjo and Kazooie : They have mr.collect-a-thon with them + we're in a time where this genra is getting popular again. They are the best opportunity for cross-promotion : Kazooie and Tooie HD both on Switch and XBOX One , and an exclusive Banjo game on XBOX ONE

-Nintendo manage to get more people to play Minecraft Switch , and to buy more online subscriptions. Banjo Kazooie/Rare replay make their library of Switch games even bigger and trust me , BANJO ON SWITCH WILL SELL LIKE HOTCAKES. It's a ton of profit for them on the long term.

-A co-reveal of these two together is an instant win button for E3 for both companies.

If you're talking about costumes as a counter-argument : THEY ARE NOT IN THE FIGHTER PASS.
They are considered as individual DLCs that you have to buy outside of the fighter pass. (I was very mad , because I tought buying Joker's pack would give me the Miles Prower and Knux costume.) So any microsoft/Rare costume can be announced with them and be released individually.

Furthermore , WHO could be a good candidate to be revealed alongside Banjo and Kazooie or Steve ? Because no matter how you slice it , those 2 characters would break the damn internet. Using a first party to promote a game would be very badly recieved , except if :
-The character is really unique and cool (King Boo for Luigi's Mansion 3 , as an example)
-Is a very big fan-favorite (Isaac for Golden Sun 4 reveal) or to push an already established and loved franchise with no playable rep. (Chorus Kids for Rythm heaven as an example)
And even then , they will probably be forgotten quickly.

And for 3rd party ? Erdrick , no matter how you slice it , is a Japan heavy character. He's also a sword user (He's unique , but looking at him , there's no way to know that he has others weapons and magic) , if anything , his reception would be very mixed.
Probably no SEGA rep
For Bamco , they have a very big list to chose from , but except if they pick a Dark Souls rep , I don't see them being as ground breaking.
For Capcom , Morrigan and Phoenix Wright are very good candidates , but won't stand a chance to have some spotlight against Banjo and Steve.
For Konami , Bomberman got AT'd , and I can only see Frogger left , but I might be forgetting someone.

I think the important factor is : Why bother ? Why trying to include a big reveal and then try to slip in a character with no relation to them or a very big upcoming game ? When it is easier to ask a company for 2 characters , instead of 2 companies for 2 characters ?
Especially when the letter that Sakurai send (and wich was shared by Pushdustin) mentioned specifically fighter 2 and 3? Sakurai has no obligation to tell them how much they progressed on the characters. And the , why these two especially ? With E3 being so close ? It seem a bit fishy to be specific like that. He could be honest , but he has no reason to. Saying "The upcoming 4 DLC characters" wouldn't have created any kind of expectation , compared to "fighter 2 and 3".

So yeah , don't think that it's impossible for 2 characters from the same company to be DLC for the first FP. Sakurai never said it was like that , and do you know what mostt of the people who will buy DLCs want ?
More fun and cool characters. And this can be first party , indie , 3rd party , ect... And this can be 2 characters from the same company.
Now that you mention that it would be easier to work with two or three companies instead of five different companies for one character each. It reminds me of this tweet. Hope this comes out right.

If Sakurai brought up that two characters are coming soon, that might just be the case.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is we can't use patterns to help determine stuff. Among 3rd parties, DLC never had two from the same company either. Meaning there's zero precedence. It's no less a silly fanrule, but other things is that our actual DLC was a bit more complicated in 4. For instance, just saying Ryu was Capcom is a bit misleading. Sakurai went to Capcom USA, a different branch entirely to get him. They are two physically different companies. Of course, more importantly, one was base and one was DLC. So our current standings do suggest we'd get one DLC per company. I don't believe it holds any water as good reasoning, but it's not impossible.

Even the design philosophy for this round of DLC is kind of... hard to say what'll happen. There's the idea it wants to appeal to the more casual side, but that doesn't mean niche characters can't happen either. It just means that your niche option, which would be "unexpected", is best to think of less as ironclad and more having a good chance. And so on. Or basically our information is vague enough to change very little.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The problem is we can't use patterns to help determine stuff. Among 3rd parties, DLC never had two from the same company either. Meaning there's zero precedence. It's no less a silly fanrule, but other things is that our actual DLC was a bit more complicated in 4. For instance, just saying Ryu was Capcom is a bit misleading. Sakurai went to Capcom USA, a different branch entirely to get him. They are two physically different companies. Of course, more importantly, one was base and one was DLC. So our current standings do suggest we'd get one DLC per company. I don't believe it holds any water as good reasoning, but it's not impossible.

Even the design philosophy for this round of DLC is kind of... hard to say what'll happen. There's the idea it wants to appeal to the more casual side, but that doesn't mean niche characters can't happen either. It just means that your niche option, which would be "unexpected", is best to think of less as ironclad and more having a good chance. And so on. Or basically our information is vague enough to change very little.
I guess the most plausible outcome is that they're going to try to do a bit of everything.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess the most plausible outcome is that they're going to try to do a bit of everything.
Eh, I dunno. It feels more like "we know nothing tangible enough" to get an idea of what they'll do. All we have is Joker. I mean, if Kasumi is an Echo separately, maybe we might have more ideas of how all of DLC will go, but that helps little. Once we see the second Fighter's Pass character, we have something more useful.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
For all we know there was no rhyme or reason for the picks. Sakurai might have just circled 5 random names and started development.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
For all we know, Nintendo picked the newcomers in the Fighter Pass.
Which then Sakurai gave final approval on if they can be made into fighters or not. Let's not start acting like Sakurai had no choice in the matter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which then Sakurai gave final approval on if they can be made into fighters or not. Let's not start acting like Sakurai had no choice in the matter.
I'm not acting like he's forced to implement certain characters, but that doesn't mean he picked random characters. That would be a highly unprofessional move that's very uncharacteristic of him.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm not acting like he's forced to implement certain characters, but that doesn't mean he picked random characters. That would be a highly unprofessional move that's very uncharacteristic of him.
I was saying he could have picked random characters from the list Nintendo gave him if he felt like it. It's more saying how we need to stop acting like everything Sakurai does has some sort of pattern. Every single fan rule has been broken at some point. (Except a new Pokemon rep but that is no longer a fan rule when Sakurai outright admitted he keeps a slot open for a Pokemon rep)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was saying he could have picked random characters from the list Nintendo gave him if he felt like it. It's more saying how we need to stop acting like everything Sakurai does has some sort of pattern. Every single fan rule has been broken at some point. (Except a new Pokemon rep but that is no longer a fan rule when Sakurai outright admitted he keeps a slot open for a Pokemon rep)
It's not as simple as you're making it. He sometimes keeps a slot open, but the idea is in case something catches his eyes. He had less feasible options for Ultimate than in 4, which already tells us that it's not some "guarantee" either. It's just something he looks at. Do note it's not simply just a slot, but a slot for the latest Generation.

Osby's point is that while there is no pattern, it doesn't mean what he's doing is effectively "random" either. That's just an extreme and inaccurate way to put it. He's choosing things by actually looking at the character and other factors we don't know about. Nothing is done "because lolwhynot". There's always reasoning behind it. That reasoning isn't going to inherently be a pattern.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree that pattern recognition is a poor way of predicting the newcomers in most cases, but that doesn't mean we can't use previous character additions to make informed predictions.

Like "we must get a Fire Emblem character from the latest game" was fans finding a rule where there is none, but Corrin's addition still showed Sakurai won't shy away from a character with their own merits just because "reps".

But at this point, this conversation is better suited to DLC speculation than Banjo-Kazooie support thread, so maybe it's better if we don't keep this up for long.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Osby's point is that while there is no pattern, it doesn't mean what he's doing is effectively "random" either. That's just an extreme and inaccurate way to put it. He's choosing things by actually looking at the character and other factors we don't know about. Nothing is done "because lolwhynot". There's always reasoning behind it. That reasoning isn't going to inherently be a pattern.
In my mind I was trying to say exactly this. Just the example I used wasn't accurate. :V

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Didn’t Sakurai consider Heihachi but decided against it due to his moveset situation?
Nottttttt exactly. It's more he had no way of faithfully transferring the 3D gameplay of Tekken over to Smash. Heihachi doesn't lack moveset potential. But he wants the gameplay transferred over, not simply just the moveset. There's a reason Ryu has input commands, to make him stand out.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
This is the Banjo thread , not the Sora thread.
And I cannot take seriously a fan poll wich doesn't let you type the character you want + have Goku from Dragon Ball in it.

I mean , I looooooove Goku , but he shouldn't be in Smash.

I know it's most likely a bait , but this reflect a problem I often see with fan polls : They often don't let you straight up said who you want. I hope more fan polls in the future allow more liberties.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
These fan polls are starting to get annoying. I feel like we keep trying to justify how worthy Banjo is of getting in.
Problem here is that no one will accept the results unless their own most wanted is on top. Gotta keep in mind that for all these "relevant" characters these days, a cartoon bear and his sassy bird friend from 10-20 years ago is smoking them in fan polls.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don’t care for fan polls, though I say Sora may not have much of a chance of getting in as Banjo does, no offense to Sora fans. Just my opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The problem with fan pools are how they measure the interests of a very narrow portion of the overall fanbase.

Also most of the time, the way they are analyzed is subjective as all hell. If someone's favorite character is winning, that's "a good sign and shows how popular they are". If they're not, then "fan pools don't affect the chances and it's just for fun, anyway".

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The problem with fan pools are how they measure the interests of a very narrow portion of the overall fanbase.

Also most of the time, the way they are analyzed is subjective as all hell. If someone's favorite character is winning, that's "a good sign and shows how popular they are". If they're not, then "fan pools don't affect the chances and it's just for fun, anyway".
I can also sense some Bias in the answer choices given. There is A LOT of really popular characters they decided not to include.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Um this poll is not a good indicator because it's not polling for popularity it's polling for some artist to do art things for which ever character wins. That's why no changing options and lots of left out options.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can also sense some Bias in the answer choices given. There is A LOT of really popular characters they decided not to include.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the person conducting the pool is an artist, right? I think they might've just included the characters they're okay with drawing.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong but the person conducting the pool is an artist, right? I think they might've just included the characters they're okay with drawing.
I wasn't aware of this till I already made the post sorry. :V

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

K. Rool and Ridley were pretty much recognized as the two major requests in Ultimate. We see Krystal added in her Star Fox Adventures garb, Shovel Knight and Bomberman as assists. I think we have a (relatively) decent grasp on what Smash fans are asking for honestly.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Too bad Nintendo are never allowed to reveal the smash ballot results due to copyright (I imagine that's why they can't reveal it) otherwise we would know where Banjo Kazooie would actually stand.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
Fan polls like this are fun, but yeah, they should never be taken too seriously. The only time that a poll should ever really be looked in to is when an actual company puts one out, like for example years ago when Sega put out polls for fans to vote on their favorite stages from each Sonic game, and ended up using that data when selecting the stages for Sonic Generations.

But hey, Banjo & Kazooie appear to be at the top of this poll again currently, so that's awesome.

I’ve never understood the “don’t take fan polls seriously” argument. Don’t you think those same people who vote in fan polls also voted in the Smash ballot and also voice their opinion everywhere else? Banjo-Kazooie was the 10th best selling N64 game, they’re a beloved character to people who grew up with them. There seems to be this idea that the only people who want Banjo are people like us who hang out in character-specific forums and chatrooms. Not only do we want Banjo but a large margin of the Nintendo community as a whole seem to want Banjo as well

volbound1700

Smash Master
I just got the Rare Replay for Xbox One for ~ $ 8.00. Played Conker for the first time last night. Got to past the Barn/Terminator-Haystack boss. Man some of those early Rare games belong on the Angry Video Game Nerd review channel. They are bad!

I have played most of Banjo-Kazooie on the N64 that I inherited for my wife so I may try out Banjo-Taooie. The only thing that I hated about Banjo-Kazooie was that it was very easy to get lost, especially in the Witch's castle early on.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just got the Rare Replay for Xbox One for ~ $ 8.00. Played Conker for the first time last night. Got to past the Barn/Terminator-Haystack boss. Man some of those early Rare games belong on the Angry Video Game Nerd review channel. They are bad!

I have played most of Banjo-Kazooie on the N64 that I inherited for my wife so I may try out Banjo-Taooie. The only thing that I hated about Banjo-Kazooie was that it was very easy to get lost, especially in the Witch's castle early on.
"Suzy 9mm !!! , I'm right here Sweetie Pie !!!
Just tell me where to shoot !!!"
One of the best lines from Bad Fur Day.

Damn, If you got lost in Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie is gonna feel like an open world game for you.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Excellent work lads! We won by 33 votes!

So does this mean that he's going to be doing a Smash wallpaper image for Banjo-Kazooie? If so, then that would be AWESOME!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Oh yeah , since we're talking about Banjo/Kazooie and Sora...

Top Bottom