• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
As somebody who basically injects Sea of Thieves into their bloodstream, I can attest that yes, the banjo heard is simply an instrument on the way. Now, if you guys want some interesting information from pirate land, Treasure Trove Cove has been seen in SoT artwork. Gimme a minute to find the image the name cameoed in...
View attachment 211843
You can see the island name behind the "I" in Hungering Deep. This was found on a road map for the game back in April, and while there is no information as to whether or not TTC or Jolly Roger Lagoon will ever make an appearance, Rare definitely acknowledges Banjo's minor meddlings with pirates, as seen in the mentions of Captain Blackeye in two places, both by name: Once in-game, revealing that he runs at least one trade business selling clothes, and once in a tie-in journal, providing the journal's writer with an impressive pirate story from his time on the Sea of Thieves.
So what you are saying is that Sea of Thieves and Banjo share a universe and that Banjo is going to become a playable character in Sea of Thieves?:4pacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Polarpanda agrees to me that the Minecraft testbuild rumor is most likely false

Sorry for being a Debbie downer last page:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
So what you are saying is that Sea of Thieves and Banjo share a universe and that Banjo is going to become a playable character in Sea of Thieves?:4pacman:
As crazy as that sounds... It could happen. Not in that way specifically, but the inclusion of Blackeye means that they DO exist in the same universe AND time period.
Edit: The Battletoads technically have a chance too, since their logo is painted on an island. They space travel a lot, appearing in Shovel Knight as well, sooo...

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Hey, have you guys heard about Tamarin?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/23/tamarin-adorable-adventure-game-from-rare-veterans-announced

It looks like not all of the former Rare devs went to Playtonic, a few others started their own studio: Chameleon Games. Their first project is called Tamarin

I won't lie....I'm really not feeling this. Everything just feels...disjointed, and it looks like an early alpha build. They're supposed to be releasing this in the summer too...
Jet Force Gemini 2’s looking kinda weird.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I want Banjo Kazooie to guest star in Killer Instinct, but as realistic versions of themselves. :laugh:

On the topic of Tamarin, I'm a sucker for cute monkeys and Jet Force Gemini. I don't care how bad the game may be; I'm eating that **** up.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I want Banjo Kazooie to guest star in Killer Instinct, but as realistic versions of themselves. :laugh:

On the topic of Tamarin, I'm a sucker for cute monkeys and Jet Force Gemini. I don't care how bad the game may be; I'm eating that **** up.
That would be hilarious and insane, Having Banjo-Kazooie go primal.

Look out Sabrewulf and Riptor, BK is bringing next level viciousness and ferocity to KI.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Right? Lol
I was mildly interested up until the gun. Kinda dropped off there.
It was kinda the opposite for me, I saw the ants and immediately thought "omg Jet Force Gemini successor."
Then I saw the cute fluffy protagonist thing and my hype dropped back to zero.
Then I saw the gunplay and thought "wait, is it JFG? What is this?"

I agree with Lenny, it looks really rough and imo generic as hell. I hope it's still a good game because man would I kill for a JFG style game but I am really not digging the generic character design and bland environment designs. Between this and Yooka I'm wondering if all the character designers stayed with Rare.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It does suffer from really bland visuals but I'm interested enough to check this out. I'm hoping the platforming in the game is deeper than what was shown in the trailer. Though man it really surprised me seeing that cutesy monkey thing pull out a gun.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It was kinda the opposite for me, I saw the ants and immediately thought "omg Jet Force Gemini successor."
Then I saw the cute fluffy protagonist thing and my hype dropped back to zero.
Then I saw the gunplay and thought "wait, is it JFG? What is this?"

I agree with Lenny, it looks really rough and imo generic as hell. I hope it's still a good game because man would I kill for a JFG style game but I am really not digging the generic character design and bland environment designs. Between this and Yooka I'm wondering if all the character designers stayed with Rare.
Steve Mayles works at Playtonic and is responsible for a vast majority of RARE characters like Dixie, King K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie. I don't see what is so bland about Steve's characters in Yooka Laylee design wise. They are all visually unique from anything I have seen from a video game. I remember when they first announce YL everybody was talking about how good the designs were. They made a great campaign just from these two alone. Sure some had their nitpicks, but they soon grew to love them.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Hey, have you guys heard about Tamarin?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/23/tamarin-adorable-adventure-game-from-rare-veterans-announced

It looks like not all of the former Rare devs went to Playtonic, a few others started their own studio: Chameleon Games. Their first project is called Tamarin

I won't lie....I'm really not feeling this. Everything just feels...disjointed, and it looks like an early alpha build. They're supposed to be releasing this in the summer too...
That David Wise soundtrack is already sublime and it looks gorgeous. I'm sure it'd be half decent at least.

Looks like it's PC only though?

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I don't like games made by Rare alumni. That includes:
Playtonic
Free Radical Design
Zoonami
NyamNyam
Gory Detail
Fortune Fish

People love to say that Microsoft era Rare could never make a decent game, but I believe they only hate them because they are not making for Nintendo. I feel. That Star Fox Adventures set up Rare's style of games pre-Kinect. Current day Rare doesn't feel anything at all like Rare. I believe this is because it is a mixture of DNA from Sumo Digital, Ubisoft UK, Creative Assembly, Lionhead and Criterion games and they are all injecting their philosophies into the games and culture of Rare. I have not played Sea of Thieves, but I know that the Rare we loved would have used their on game engine instead of UE4.
People also love to say that Rare stopped being Rare when a large chunk of the company left to form Free Radical. The only notable people that left at that time where David Doak, Graeme Nortgate and Steve Ellis. Martin Hollis went on to make Zoonami.
The Stamper Bros were the driving force behind Rare and it wasn't until they left that Rare started to focus on Kinect Sports. Up until then Chris Seavor still worked at Rare but chose not to re apply for his position when Microsoft restructured the studio. Rare still has Gregg Mayles, Robin Beanland, Chris Marlow, George Andreas, Louise Ridgeway and possibly more veterens that I am unaware of, but its current problem is studio head. The Stamper Bros also are involved in cloneware for smartphones nowadays.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Playtonic
Free Radical Design
Zoonami
NyamNyam
Gory Detail
Fortune Fish

People love to say that Microsoft era Rare could never make a decent game, but I believe they only hate them because they are not making for Nintendo. I feel. That Star Fox Adventures set up Rare's style of games pre-Kinect. Current day Rare doesn't feel anything at all like Rare. I believe this is because it is a mixture of DNA from Sumo Digital, Ubisoft UK, Creative Assembly, Lionhead and Criterion games and they are all injecting their philosophies into the games and culture of Rare. I have not played Sea of Thieves, but I know that the Rare we loved would have used their on game engine instead of UE4.
People also love to say that Rare stopped being Rare when a large chunk of the company left to form Free Radical. The only notable people that left at that time where David Doak, Graeme Nortgate and Steve Ellis. Martin Hollis went on to make Zoonami.
The Stamper Bros were the driving force behind Rare and it wasn't until they left that Rare started to focus on Kinect Sports. Up until then Chris Seavor still worked at Rare but chose not to re apply for his position when Microsoft restructured the studio. Rare still has Gregg Mayles, Robin Beanland, Chris Marlow, George Andreas, Louise Ridgeway and possibly more veterens that I am unaware of, but its current problem is studio head. The Stamper Bros also are involved in cloneware for smartphones nowadays.
I've only really played 2 games made by Rare alumni, Yooka-Laylee and Raging Justice and I enjoyed both.

I'll grab Rusty Pup as soon as it's on the Switch.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Timesplitters is a legimately great franchise and is up there with Rare's classics.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Well, it is an extremely far shot to begin with anyway. If they pick a Rare character, they'd go with B-K or Rash first, nobody else. No way they'd ignore both of them for someone else.

What I'm saying is, Seavor's statement affects absolutely nothing. Pardon my French, but he's a quitter.
While I'm completely okay with the likes of Conker, Rash, Steve, or Master Chief eventually making it into Smash, Banjo & Kazooie should be the characters that bridge the connection between Nintendo and Microsoft above everyone else. They're the ones who desperately need this opportunity more than anyone else, characters like Master Chief and Steve aren't going anywhere any time soon with Halo and Minecraft both having continuing popularity and new games being released, Battletoads is getting a new game along with representation in the recent Killer Instinct, and Conker, while sadly in the same boat as Banjo, at least has had more recent appearances than them. Banjo & Kazooie need this opportunity, otherwise, I just can't see a viable future for them other than continuing to wallow in their undeserved 'retirement'.

Last edited:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Playtonic
Free Radical Design
Zoonami
NyamNyam
Gory Detail
Fortune Fish

MS Rare forgot what their essence after the buyout. They missed their chance to imprint their footprint on the xbox brand during it's first generation and tried to change thing up to suit the Shooter/Racers Crowd Xbox had.

One of the Reasons NnB turned out the way it did, was that Rare thought that the Xbox' crowd likes Racing Games more than Platformers.
Of course over time Pressure from MS' side builds up, work environment gets more toxic and people will leave eventually. And here we are. 17 Years later, Rare suffered an even worse fate than sega, long forgotten by the audience.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One of the Reasons NnB turned out the way it did, was that Rare thought that the Xbox' crowd likes Racing Games more than Platformers.
Nuts & Bolts turned out the way it did because Rare didn't want to create another traditional platformer.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Rip 5chan leak lol

That’s another point against Steve. The leaks that had him supporting him as a fighter have vanished
On the one hand that's another point against Erdrick and Steve, who I'm not eager to have in the game. On the other hand I really want Doomguy and Hayabusa would be a pretty cool addition so that part is a bummer

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Surprised its a PS4 exclusive and coming to the west in 2020 in regards to P5R.

Jane must have been scrapped content then, or maybe shes just another background character in mementos that got cut for time since shes just another party member apparently.

All in all, strange decision on Atlus' part in this day and age, releasing what is essentially DLC at full price to buy the game again, little incentive for players who've already played Persona 5 to be forced to do the whole game just to experience maybe an extra 10 hours of gameplay at best and it doesnt arrive until 2020? Bad deal.

Well that ideas scrapped, moving on.

Unless P5S is something else, like a Switch port.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Surprised its a PS4 exclusive and coming to the west in 2020 in regards to P5R.

Jane must have been scrapped content then, or maybe shes just another background character in mementos that got cut for time since shes just another party member apparently.

All in all, strange decision on Atlus' part in this day and age, releasing what is essentially DLC at full price to buy the game again, little incentive for players who've already played Persona 5 to be forced to do the whole game just to experience maybe an extra 10 hours of gameplay at best and it doesnt arrive until 2020? Bad deal.

Well that ideas scrapped, moving on.

Unless P5S is something else, like a Switch port.
Is it possible that Jane is the new character from Persona 5 Royals that could be added to Mementos as DLC? Far Fetch I know

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I mean, if you’re paying attention, hasn’t the leak been dead for a while?
There were 2 leaks. This one survived once the absence of Jack Frost debunked the other one. Apparently this now defeated leak was first. This is basically double tapping the now dead body.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There were 2 leaks. This one survived once the absence of Jack Frost debunked the other one. Apparently this now defeated leak was first. This is basically double tapping the now dead body.
To be fair, it’s possible to a some parts of leaks to be correct and others to be incorrect. I don’t think the all or nothing approach to leaks does us any favors. These facts certainly hurt the credibility of many leaks, but I have found with Ultimate in particular fans jump way too quickly at the chance to “disprove” leaks and leakers entirely.

Not that I ever put any stock in the original leaks or care all that much, I’m just saying things could be more complicated haha.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I was browsing /v/ (why I don't know) and I ran into the argument that Banjo is just a copy of duck hunt and holy crap that annoys me so much. The only simularity is it's a mammal/bird combo. That's it

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Is it possible that Jane is the new character from Persona 5 Royals that could be added to Mementos as DLC? Far Fetch I know
If that was the case then why wouldn't they have just held off on releasing Joker a little longer?

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
To be fair, it’s possible to a some parts of leaks to be correct and others to be incorrect. I don’t think the all or nothing approach to leaks does us any favors. These facts certainly hurt the credibility of many leaks, but I have found with Ultimate in particular fans jump way too quickly at the chance to “disprove” leaks and leakers entirely.

Not that I ever put any stock in the original leaks or care all that much, I’m just saying things could be more complicated haha.
A wrong detail or two shows that the leak is poisoned with bad info. With this in mind it's impossible to tell how much more of the info is legit and what's corrupted by being wrong.

I was browsing /v/ (why I don't know) and I ran into the argument that Banjo is just a copy of duck hunt and holy crap that annoys me so much. The only simularity is it's a mammal/bird combo. That's it
Those fools build Strawmen faster than the hippies in Burning Man. People that make this argument are not to be taken seriously because they have absolutely no knowledge of the material they are laying the claim on. If it helps you can counter this by claiming that Shiek and Greninja can't be in the same game because they are ninjas, or say Ganon, and Incineroar can't exist because Bowser has a Side-B command grab. The Duck-Hunt Fallacy is just a weak crutch used by stupid people, plain and simple.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A wrong detail or two shows that the leak is poisoned with bad info. With this in mind it's impossible to tell how much more of the info is legit and what's corrupted by being wrong.

Those fools build Strawmen faster than the hippies in Burning Man. People that make this argument are not to be taken seriously because they have absolutely no knowledge of the material they are laying the claim on. If it helps you can counter this by claiming that Shiek and Greninja can't be in the same game because they are ninjas, or say Ganon, and Incineroar can't exist because Bowser has a Side-B command grab. The Duck-Hunt Fallacy is just a weak crutch used by stupid people, plain and simple.
Joker can't exist because his down B is a counter, Side b is PK fire, his UP B is ivysaur's up B. When using his stand up B is basically pits. They gotta remove Joker now.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I said it once, and I'll say it again:
Nintendo isn't going to go through the hassle of acquiring banjo and go "Lol let's just make him a clone". That would be the biggest waste of time and money. And before anyone says "b-but Richter and Ken are 3rd party clones" No. Both of those characters make sense to be echos. Ken trained alongside ryu, under the same master. It's not too much of a stretch to see why their fighting styles are so similar. Richter has most of the same tools as Simon. Also, both of said characters belong to the same series as the fighters they're based on. Banjo not only doesn't share a universe with duck hunt, but some of duck hunts attacks make no sense for banjo.

Anything utilizing a zapper has to be reworked, as banjo has no access to that. So already all of the smash attacks, and two of the specials has to be scrapped.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I said it once, and I'll say it again:
Nintendo isn't going to go through the hassle of acquiring banjo and go "Lol let's just make him a clone". That would be the biggest waste of time and money. And before anyone says "b-but Richter and Ken are 3rd party clones" No. Both of those characters make sense to be echos. Ken trained alongside ryu, under the same master. It's not too much of a stretch to see why their fighting styles are so similar. Richter has most of the same tools as Simon. Also, both of said characters belong to the same series as the fighters they're based on. Banjo not only doesn't share a universe with duck hunt, but some of duck hunts attacks make no sense for banjo.

Anything utilizing a zapper has to be reworked, as banjo has no access to that. So already all of the smash attacks, and two of the specials has to be scrapped.
Wouldn't the ONLY similar move be the up b anyway? Thats if they just don't give him Pit's instead?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's not that surprising. Smash fans have a bad history of reducing characters down to their simplest elements to claim similarity. I mean look at how sword characters'have been lumped together. It comes down to people not knowing enough about the characters and not caring enough to look past only what they can see. "Don't judge a book by its cover" seems to always be forgotten.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's not that surprising. Smash fans have a bad history of reducing characters down to their simplest elements to claim similarity. I mean look at how sword characters'have been lumped together. It comes down to people not knowing enough about the characters and not caring enough to look past only what they can see. "Don't judge a book by its cover" seems to always be forgotten.
I feel like people are just taking their frustrations out on the weapon it's self because it seems like a sure fire way to get into smash. It doesn't help that they had the need to give most of them a down B counter and a side b combo.
4 of the Fire Emblem cast play basically the same. Even when they started added more unique fire emblem characters they still felt the need to give them a sword.
We have 3 links
People are just so sick of swords.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I feel like people are just taking their frustrations out on the weapon it's self because it seems like a sure fire way to get into smash. It doesn't help that they had the need to give most of them a down B counter and a side b combo.
4 of the Fire Emblem cast play basically the same. Even when they started added more unique fire emblem characters they still felt the need to give them a sword.
We have 3 links
People are just so sick of swords.
It only seems to be a sure fire way to get into Smash if you can be a clone or you're the main character in FE. I was onboard with no more swords myself when it was originally about diversifying FE but it quickly spiraled into every character with a sword being the same in people's eyes. It's a common weapon what should really matter is how it's used and even in FE there's more than just Marth's way of fighting.

Top Bottom