• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Now forgive this, as it's a pretty massive reach, but it's just me mostly thinking out loud.

-As I recall Joker was ACTUALLY built off of Piranha Plant so it would seem like Jane is possibly our next character being built on top of Joker.

-All we really know about Jane is that she has a ponytail, and is like from a 3rd Party IP.

-In terms of female 3rd Party characters, it seems to reason that Jill (perhaps in her BSAA or RE5 Black Widow costume) could very easily be that character. She also has a gun that would work somewhat similar to Joker's.

-IndieGamerChick said that Jill had been considered for Smash and cancelled due to "political issues". Which could be political issues pertaining to her gun use on the base game (which seems to not be an issue for DLC as we have Joker).

-We have 3rd Party Mii Costumes missing from SEGA, Capcom, Square and Namco. SEGA's Sonic Mii costumes came back with Joker, and we're heavily rumoured to be getting a Square character of some kind, indicating Chocobo and Geno could easily return with the release of that character (as sales are much easier to divide on 3rd Party content when it's sold separately from the base game). Meaning that a Namco and Capcom character could also easily come along too.

-IGC ALSO heavily insinuated that Banjo would be coming to Smash. And if these characters had been decided on since prior to November, then it stands to reason that it came from the E3 sitdown Nintendo and Microsoft had.

A Fighters pass of Erdrick, Jill Valentine, Heihachi and Banjo-Kazooie seems fairly realistic.

Take that with a heaping bowl of salt but just throwing it out there as a scenario.
I like this idea. I love me some Jill.

But I would be LIVID if they used that god awful mind control zero suit bull**** from RE5. That's like adding Dante but using the one from DmC. I however dig the idea of a BSAA alt alongside her classic design as the default.

oopsy doopsy somebody already did that

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
Regarding ages I just turned 19 in February and am in my first year of college. My first ever video game console was the Nintendo Gamecube with my first game being Super Mario Sunshine (gee that game was fairly hard for a 6 year old at the time). Also pretty interesting that Banjo-Kazooie brings people of a wide variety of ages together that thought is kinda cool. Any other 19 year olds in this thread? I feel like a fetus lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
I like this idea. I love me some Jill.

But I would be LIVID if they used that god awful mind control zero suit bull**** from RE5. That's like adding Dante but using the one from DmC. I however dig the idea of a BSAA alt alongside her classic design as the default.

oopsy doopsy somebody already did that
Was just about to bring up PlayStation AllStars.

Then I saw the spoilered stuff.

Hoo boy that game is one of the biggest "what if"s in this decade, easily. As for DmC Dante I believe that was Capcom's suggestion just as two Coles were infamous'. I don't blame Superbot (the dev team) for that when it was literally their first game and Sony's list of secure first party IPs... yeah.

You could make the counterargument that Nintendo's the odd man out compared with Sony and Microsoft. In that Nintendo has loads of first party IPs. With 3 massive flagships. Those flagships - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon - account for 22 characters in Smash. Not counting the DK characters, Wario, Yoshi nor echoes, and counting PKMN Trainer as one by the way.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Was just about to bring up PlayStation AllStars.

Then I saw the spoilered stuff.

Hoo boy that game is one of the biggest "what if"s in this decade, easily. As for DmC Dante I believe that was Capcom's suggestion just as two Coles were infamous'. I don't blame Superbot (the dev team) for that when it was literally their first game and Sony's list of secure first party IPs... yeah.

You could make the counterargument that Nintendo's the odd man out compared with Sony and Microsoft. In that Nintendo has loads of first party IPs. With 3 massive flagships. Those flagships - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon - account for 22 characters in Smash. Not counting the DK characters, Wario, Yoshi nor echoes, and counting PKMN Trainer as one by the way.
Yeah, when you think about it Nintendo is secure when it comes to fighting game character choices from their own stable.

Meanwhile, Sony barely even cares about their mascots or history to the point that they pass through proverbial revolving doors, while Microsoft doesn't have much to work with at all when the Rare stuff is taken away.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Could someone post a source regarding these "Joker = Piranha Plant" findings? Because I thought Cloud was used to make Joker.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, when you think about it Nintendo is secure when it comes to fighting game character choices from their own stable.

Meanwhile, Sony barely even cares about their mascots or history to the point that they pass through proverbial revolving doors, while Microsoft doesn't have much to work with at all when the Rare stuff is taken away.
Well, if I were to point at something in Sony's case, it's that most of their mascots were under limited exclusivity contracts (Crash, Spyro) or third parties to begin with (Final Fantasy post 7, Metal Gear from Solid onwards). Among their own IPs only Uncharted and God of War have been unambigious smash successes that rival Crash and Final Fantasy 7. And neither Uncharted nor GoW quite reach Mario and Pokemon's place amongst the highest.

Microsoft meanwhile, I believe suffers from having their IPs a bit too spread out. They do own Age of Empires - back then it was a AAA IP - but it's been dormant outside of rereleases and with AoE IV seemingly in development hell*. It, like Forza (and Sony's Gran Turismo) are not going going to ever see playable reps in Smash or clones.* Their recent moves, like buying Ninja Theory, could help - but time will tell I suppose.

(*Yea, this is the point where I'll segue into Pokemon Conquest and - TIL - Nintendo's Napoleon game. Which does include heavily fictionalized versions of real(-ish) stuff. Yes, Nintendo published - and still owns - a Fire Emblem esque Napoleon game (What the fudge?). The only evidence in Ultimate is a Novice Spirit of a fictional general, Allesandro Inzaghi. Makes sense when you think about it: Nintendo putting any real people, especially people like Napoleon or those connected to him, into Smash - in any form - would risk sparking the mother of all firestorms.)

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Could someone post a source regarding these "Joker = Piranha Plant" findings? Because I thought Cloud was used to make Joker.
Apparently Joker's original stats were a copy-paste of Plant's. I dunno, just what I could recall, if it's correct.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
if we get jill valentine & she is not based on her RE1 & RE3 look (& moveset) I'll be pretty mad IMO as I HATE the latter RE games, BUT with RE3 getting a remake like RE2 did I could see her getting her old look PLUS sakurai LOVES classic desings ! WHO knows maybe CHRIS & LEON might get Alt costumes like alf ? altho as MUCH as i want leon I could see her & chris since they were both in RE1 so 4 chris skins & 2 jill RE1 & 2 Jill RE3 skins IMO

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
lol people really want Jill as a character? Really? You know she'll just be another Snake right? You know she'll never use guns & only explosives that are rarely or never used in the RE games, right?

And wasn't there a string of code someone found for Jane that referenced the Joker. It said something like Jane was the 6th skin for the Joker. So she's more than likely an echo(yea more love for this terrible franchise)

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Wait... if hair physics is a thing with Janes character wouldn't that be a significant part of her character?

I could still see Dixie Kong being Jane.. even if she comes with a spirit board there's barely any spirits for Tropical Freeze aside from Frederik and she could come with spirits primarily from TF, DKC2 and 3.. plus they removed the DKCR stage, so I could see her coming alongside a new TF themed stage.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A Fighters pass of Erdrick, Jill Valentine, Heihachi and Banjo-Kazooie seems fairly realistic.
A fighter pass that consists of 4 realistic humans and Banjo seems like it would be really uninteresting not gonna lie.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
A fighter pass that consists of 4 realistic humans and Banjo seems like it would be really uninteresting not gonna lie.
It also seems realistic, considering 5 of the previous 7 DLC characters were realistic humans, and the 6th was a toony human. Hell even Mewtwo is the most humanoid Pokemon.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The funny thing is, that's basically what Smash 4's DLC lineup was.

wupp_ax_scrnbt_111_ev02d.jpg

One cartoony character in the form of Lucas while everyone else is a serious looking humanoid character. Oh and Mewtwo.

I think the problem is that most of the remaining big Japanese third party franchises consist of said serious/humanoid characters.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It also seems realistic, considering 5 of the previous 7 DLC characters were realistic humans, and the 6th was a toony human. Hell even Mewtwo is the most humanoid Pokemon.
The funny thing is, that's basically what Smash 4's DLC lineup was.

View attachment 211267

One cartoony character in the form of Lucas while everyone else is a serious looking humanoid character. Oh and Mewtwo.

I think the problem is that most of the remaining big Japanese third party franchises consist of said serious/humanoid characters.
Yeah and that was my biggest problem with Smash 4 DLC. Mostly every pick was a realistic human. Where is the variety?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
lol people really want Jill as a character? Really? You know she'll just be another Snake right? You know she'll never use guns & only explosives that are rarely or never used in the RE games, right?

And wasn't there a string of code someone found for Jane that referenced the Joker. It said something like Jane was the 6th skin for the Joker. So she's more than likely an echo(yea more love for this terrible franchise)
Resident Evil and Metal Gear aren't even the same genre of games. As a survival horror I could easily see an ammo preservation gimmick applied to whomever the RE character would be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The only evidence in Ultimate is a Novice Spirit of a fictional general, Allesandro Inzaghi. Makes sense when you think about it: Nintendo putting any real people, especially people like Napoleon or those connected to him, into Smash - in any form - would risk sparking the mother of all firestorms.)
Dr. Kawashima is in the game, you know.

Yeah and that was my biggest problem with Smash 4 DLC. Mostly every pick was a realistic human. Where is the variety?
In said characters' designs? It's kinda hard to argue that Bayonetta or Ryu don't have distinct appearances.

Lucas wasn't realistic but his design is still a lot more derivative than the third parties we got.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Lucas wasn't realistic but his design is still a lot more derivative than the third parties we got.
Cartoon Child isn't exactly common though. Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, Inkling, Ice Climbers and Villager. And they weren't really all DLC characters released back to back.

When all you do is release realistic humans back to back it's understandable when people start to question why there hasn't been more variation in character design.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Smash is hard to play or even appreciate the work that goes into characters when they're really thin & detailed on a micro level, and this only applies to human characters because they have realistically proportioned features and non-distinct silhouettes. Often I find myself struggling to see where I am when playing as Ryu, Ken, Bayo, ZSS, Joker, Snake to a smaller degree, Clouds okay because of the buster sword.

I like characters with really distinct silhouettes and features in these kind of games. Banjo-Kazooie would be a great character silhouette fit for this game, super distinct art style and look, exaggerated proportions. Cartoon stuff.

I'm fine with humanoid characters but constantly getting them as DLC is a bit boring. I want something really weird and whacky.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cartoon Child isn't exactly common though. Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, Inkling, Ice Climbers and Villager. And they weren't really all DLC characters released back to back.
That doesn't change that Lucas's design is literally Ness but with different hair.

Also bundling up all the humanoid characters together while singling out cartoon kids seems a bit too arbitrary. I can also create a Realistic Woman category and claim Bayonetta was an addition to an uncommon category.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash is hard to play or even appreciate the work that goes into characters when they're really thin & detailed on a micro level, and this only applies to human characters because they have realistically proportioned features and non-distinct silhouettes. Often I find myself struggling to see where I am when playing as Ryu, Ken, Bayo, ZSS, Joker, Snake to a smaller degree, Clouds okay because of the buster sword.

I like characters with really distinct silhouettes and features in these kind of games. Banjo-Kazooie would be a great character silhouette fit for this game, super distinct art style and look, exaggerated proportions. Cartoon stuff.

I'm fine with humanoid characters but constantly getting them as DLC is a bit boring. I want something really weird and whacky.
Well, we just got Piranha Plant. :)

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
If the Mii costume Theory holds true I would actually be pushing for Phoenix Wright or Felecia from Darkstalkers. Both could easily be made into a fighter with a stage and set of Spirits. On Namco's side I know it's not likely, but I'll be hoping for Klonoa, even though the spot might go to Nightmare from Soul Caliber. For Squeenix it might be Loto, but im going to hope and pray it turns out to be Chrono. I feel like a lot of Edrick people are sleeping on how Chrono appeals to both the East and West.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Well, we just got Piranha Plant. :)
I don't count PP as a part of the character pack, but it was a nice addition, that kinda stuff is fun.

I'd hope at least 2 of the characters in the fighter pass are really unique and distinct, call me a party pooper but I find the prospect of a Resident Evil character to be the most utterly boring option out there. The less realism in Smash the better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>assuming that the character design variety of all things will be the same as last time
Do you have any idea how silly you lot sound right now? I know that looking for patterns to be upheld forever is pointless, but that right here is the silliest worry I have heard about in a while. This is too silly.

Also, I don't really mind realism, just let me shoot at people with machine guns and ****. MvC2 let you sic a Zombie on people, for goodness' sake.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If the Mii costume Theory holds true I would actually be pushing for Phoenix Wright or Felecia from Darkstalkers. Both could easily be made into a fighter with a stage and set of Spirits.
I'd love a Darkstalkers character in Smash but I heavily doubt it being Felicia. Morrigan is significantly more prominent than her, even if you don't go into the design territory.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Found it.
https://twitter.com/DrHyperCake/status/1098748513251291136
https://twitter.com/vaanrose/status/1120094740156796928
Jane is connected to Joker. Probably a planned echo or was supposed to be a skin ala Robin but was canned(or will be sold later)
Echo fighters I can see being just free updates for those who have purchased considering how little work there is to be done, the question is whether or not they just didn't have the time to finish Jane or they're waiting until all the news about P5: The Royal comes out on the 25th before they can announce the echo.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Echo fighters I can see being just free updates for those who have purchased considering how little work there is to be done, the question is whether or not they just didn't have the time to finish Jane or they're waiting until all the news about P5: The Royal comes out on the 25th before they can announce the echo.
The only problem with that is content packs are planned very far in advance. So with that knowledge, why would Sakurai and Nintendo, and Atlus agree to release Joker 1 week prior to when all Persona content would be able to be shown. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd love a Darkstalkers character in Smash but I heavily doubt it being Felicia. Morrigan is significantly more prominent than her, even if you don't go into the design territory.
Yeah man, when you see a Capcom crossover, one of the first things you expect is Morrigan showing up sooner or later. She's the Ryu of Darkstalkers.

The only problem with that is content packs are planned very far in advance. So with that knowledge, why would Sakurai and Nintendo, and Atlus agree to release Joker 1 week prior to when all Persona content would be able to be shown. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are deadset on thinking she'll be saved for later, even though it's looking likely that she has been scrapped for secrecy reasons.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Because one is relevent to Persona 5 which has been out for a long time, and the other is P5: The Royal which nobody knows anything about other than it being a female protag.

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
Because one is relevent to Persona 5 which has been out for a long time, and the other is P5: The Royal which nobody knows anything about other than it being a female protag.
We actually don't know if that girl in the P5R trailer was a female protagonist or if she is a new character added to the story, or a new confidant link. But we should have some more info on that on the 24th. Personally, I'm thinking she's gonna be a new character in the story.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm even having doubts that the Switch is even getting Royal. Which honestly would be a slap in the face for Nintendo. All the love for persona in Smash and the Switch just gets a port of the older version and not the brand new version that is going to be exclusive to the playstation.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The Mii theory is a bit lame, because most people were already expecting a Namco, Sqaure and Capcom rep. It doesn't change speculation all that much. I'm kinda hoping the theory is bogus, because I'm foolishly hoping for a Fighter Pass with both Banjo and Doomguy. But if we assume the theory is true, this would be my expectation.

- Joker
- Erdrick
- Leon Kennedy
- Chosen Undead
- Banjo-Kazooie

I think we've heard the last of Jane, so I consider Leon a safer bet than Jill.
Chosen Undead is just a gut feeling. Namco has a rich library of characters, so this could be anyone.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If we got a Darkstalkers character it would be Morrigan, and she would be getting in Smash in spite of being in Darkstalkers.

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
I'm even having doubts that the Switch is even getting Royal. Which honestly would be a slap in the face for Nintendo. All the love for persona in Smash and the Switch just gets a port of the older version and not the brand new version that is going to be exclusive to the playstation.
To be fair, we know very little about P5R it could be a full blown sequel, so having the first Persona 5 come to Switch would make sense. If P5R is an enhanced version of Persona 5 then P5S could be Persona 5 for switch with those P5R enhancements.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The Mii theory is a bit lame, because most people were already expecting a Namco, Sqaure and Capcom rep. It doesn't change speculation all that much. I'm kinda hoping the theory is bogus, because I'm foolishly hoping for a Fighter Pass with both Banjo and Doomguy. But if we assume the theory is true, this would be my expectation.

- Joker
- Erdrick
- Leon Kennedy
- Chosen Undead
- Banjo-Kazooie

I think we've heard the last of Jane, so I consider Leon a safer bet than Jill.
Chosen Undead is just a gut feeling. Namco has a rich library of characters, so this could be anyone.
I would rather Namco dig into some of their classic catalog for a fighter. Someone like Mr. Dig Dug or Klonoa,

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You know if I was releasing a Persona stage, Persona music, Persona Mii costumes, and a Persona character then I would also have the Persona costume or echo announce alongside them where it makes sense to reveal. I wouldn't split up part of the content because it's being announced literally a week after I planned to release the content. Which makes no sense. It may be Royal stuff but it's all still Persona.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
We actually don't know if that girl in the P5R trailer was a female protagonist or if she is a new character added to the story, or a new confidant link. But we should have some more info on that on the 24th. Personally, I'm thinking she's gonna be a new character in the story.
Marketing/Leaked images suggest its akin to Persona 4: Gold, most likely an enhanced edition ported for more consoles (including Switch) that I imagine has just the option to choose between a male/female in the story.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on this with the 25th, but I'm confident in that assumption.

Smash is one facet of many deals between companies and getting Persona 5 on switch is one of those between SEGA & Nintendo. I have no doubt its coming to Switch.

You know if I was releasing a Persona stage, Persona music, Persona Mii costumes, and a Persona character then I would also have the Persona costume or echo announce alongside them where it makes sense to reveal. I wouldn't split up part of the content because it's being announced literally a week after I planned to release the content. Which makes no sense. It may be Royal stuff but it's all still Persona.
It isn't split up. At best its a skin/echo that gets dropped for free and thats it, theres not much to it. As a business move it makes complete sense as its marketing Persona 5: The Royal for players on the same date the game itself is announced/detailed thrown in as a bonus to smash players to get them to check it out when it comes to Switch. Like I said above, Smash is a part of deals between companies, its a powerful marketing tool and third parties want in on it to promote brands at their leisure should they want it.

Being tied to dates like you're saying doesn't make sense, it's Atlus/SEGAs call on this, they'll drop this stuff when they see fit to if thats part of their deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom