• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Welcome to another episode of "Holy **** there are so many guests in this thread again" feautring NOT Speedwagon, tonight we have a special essay reveluating Banjo's merit in Smash, the possibility of Rash screwing over Banjo, and learning that Banjo was in a Mario Paint game.

I mean.....you're not wrong. Albeit it would be more like "Sakurai and Japan really really REALLY like Dragon Quest".
More accurately, "Sakurai and Japan really really REALLY like Dragon Quest, but Sakurai is the only noteworthy person in the country who likes Erdrick as a character, and not as a legacy".

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's true: https://www.nintendo.com/games/coming-soon/

Incoming Direct maybe?
Your tweet ain't displaying there.

What's the best way to put them....hmmm...well I suppose you can call them Rares attempt at the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles formula. Rash is one of...3 I think, his bros being Pimple and Zitz. Their games were side scrolling beat-em-ups where their gimmicks involve their limbs and various body parts morphing into things like hammers, anvils, and even a rams head for charging attacks. Rash was a fighter in Killer Instinct and now they got a game coming out this year. Not to jinx it though, Rash fits smash very well. I dont think they have much music aside from their theme, but I can see him working. If I weren't a Banjobro I'd totally be a Toadbro first.

View attachment 207696
Between the first NES game and that Double Dragon Ultimate Team crossover, I think they got some decent tunes to pick from.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Would they really? ArcSys owns at least 4 noteworthy properties; DD, Guilty Gear, Blazblue and Kunio, and DD hasn't been doing that great with people lately.

If anything, even Kunio would get in sooner over the dragons.
Sakurai is a big NES guy and Double Dragon's one of the most influential games of its time. Could easily see them going with Double Dragon over those other properties. DD is way more iconic.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Sakurai is a big NES guy and Double Dragon's one of the most influential games of its time. Could easily see them going with Double Dragon over those other properties. DD is way more iconic.
That said we have yet to find a rep for the N64 era. Young Link and Ganondorf kind of fit this mold, though a a tried and true N64 Icon is needed badly. Zelda is a series that predates the N64, Banjo got his start on the 64.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That said we have yet to find a rep for the N64 era. Young Link and Ganondorf kind of fit this mold, though a a tried and true N64 Icon is needed badly. Zelda is a series that predates the N64, Banjo got his start on the 64.

Animal Crossing did first release on N64, you know.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Animal Crossing did first release on N64, you know.
That Villager is specifically modelled on the Wii though.

The closest thing to an N64 rep would be K. Rool I guess. I suppose you could make a good case for the Star Fox cast, since even though they're modelled on Zero that was essentially a remake of the N64 game, and that's their most iconic game overall.

Edit: Young Link, Sheik and Ganondorf totally count actually.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The closest thing to an N64 rep would be K. Rool I guess. I suppose you could make a good case for the Star Fox cast, since even though they're modelled on Zero that was essentially a remake of the N64 game, and that's their most iconic game overall.

Edit: Young Link, Sheik and Ganondorf totally count actually.
And the N64 game is essentially a remake of the SNES game, with elements from the formerly-scrapped SF2. So, almost, but not quite.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it was Japanese only so he's more going to counted as a GameCube icon as that's where everyone met him worldwide.
Yeah Animal Crossing was first on the Nintendo 64, but Japan only, so I don't count Villager as a good N64 rep, definitely more of a GameCube and Wii rep than anything. Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Paper Mario, and even someone from the Snowboard Kids series would be good N64 reps for Smash starting exclusively on N64 worldwide.

Eh, I consider K. Rool more of a SNES rep than anything. His forward smash and Final Smash are the only two things representative of Donkey Kong 64, he has way more representation from his SNES incarnations than anything.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'd totally want Banjo's classic mode to be him battling other N64 era characters.
Completely agree! Mario, Young Link, Sheik, and Ganondorf, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, Fox, Falco and Wolf, and Captain Falcon would all be great choices for them to fight.

I guess this route would end with Ganon, considering he's from OOT?
It'd be fantastic if they made Gruntilda a stage boss exclusively for Banjo & Kazooie to fight, but that's wishful thinking lol

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Completely agree! Mario, Young Link, Sheik, and Ganondorf, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, Fox, Falco and Wolf, and Captain Falcon would all be great choices for them to fight.

It'd be fantastic if they made Gruntilda a stage boss exclusively for Banjo & Kazooie to fight, but that's wishful thinking lol
Add her ala Rathalos. As a boss, but also as an assist (or hazard in the BK stage).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmm. There's a lot of interesting options and ways to do it. Characters that simply had games on the n64 is one thing. But there's some who had 3D debuts on the 64 or around that time. MegaMan, Mario, Young Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, Sonic, Pikachu, Fox, Falco, (though not Wolf), Yoshi, Samus(via Smash itself), Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Villager, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pokemon Trainer(since his design of Red did show up on the 64, if I remember right), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Wario. I think I got them all. I forget which system had Pac-Man's 3D debut, so the timing might be off.

You could also go with various characters who had related games on the 64, so you could add Simon and/or Richter to it.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Hmm. There's a lot of interesting options and ways to do it. Characters that simply had games on the n64 is one thing. But there's some who had 3D debuts on the 64 or around that time. MegaMan, Mario, Young Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, Sonic, Pikachu, Fox, Falco, (though not Wolf), Yoshi, Samus(via Smash itself), Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Villager, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pokemon Trainer(since his design of Red did show up on the 64, if I remember right), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Wario. I think I got them all. I forget which system had Pac-Man's 3D debut, so the timing might be off.

You could also go with various characters who had related games on the 64, so you could add Simon and/or Richter to it.
Not Wolf?

Star Fox 64 was Wolf's first officially released game though.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

My deal here is that most if not all of these characters got their start on systems before the N64. They were already known before they were made into 3D. Shiek may be the odd one out since I don't know any occurrence of Shiek before OOT. Banjo-Kazooie was the 1st party IP at the time that started exclusively on N64. The 64 is a great generation since a lot of these characters were shown in 3D for the first time. This is why I consider Banjo-Kazooie to be the quintessential N64 rep.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

There really are, but personally for me, the bigger the franchises and iterations that were on N64, or characters that started on N64, the better, Mario, Peach, and Bowser for Super Mario 64 (Peach's Castle N64, Princess Peach's Castle, or Rainbow Cruise as a stage), Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and King K. Rool for Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing (Kongo Jungle 64, Kongo Falls, and Jungle Japes), Young Link for both Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask (with Great Bay as his stage), Sheik and Ganondorf for Ocarina of Time (Hyrule Castle 64), Yoshi for Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Story), Kirby and King Dedede for Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Land 64 or Green Greens would work), Fox, Falco, and Wolf for Star Fox 64 (Corneria or Venom), Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, and even Pichu for Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, and Pokemon Stadium 2 (Saffron City and Pokemon Stadium), and Captain Falcon for F-Zero X (Big Blue).

I wouldn't count Link or Zelda since their incarnations in this game are based on Breath of the Wild and Link to the Past/Between Worlds, nor Samus since other than Smash, Metroid had no N64 incarnations which I distinctly remember or Villager since even though they did debut on N64, it was only in Japan and got remastered on GameCube worldwide, but I would count Wolf since he did debut on Star Fox 64. Mega Man did have Mega Man Legends on N64, but that wasn't exclusive to N64 and it was Mega Man Volnutt instead of the Mega Man in Smash, so I wouldn't count him either, and Pac-Man only had one game on N64 and it was Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness which also wasn't exclusive and had Ms. Pac-Man in the lead role (they really should of made her an alt for Pac-Man, it would've been so simple). Sonic I would not include even though I get you were saying he had his 3D debut around the same time, just because it would be better to just have N64 reps. And even though Luigi, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Daisy did make appearance on the N64, they were mainly spin-offs.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My deal here is that most if not all of these characters got their start on systems before the N64. They were already known before they were made into 3D. Shiek may be the odd one out since I don't know any occurrence of Shiek before OOT. Banjo-Kazooie was the 1st party IP at the time that started exclusively on N64. The 64 is a great generation since a lot of these characters were shown in 3D for the first time. This is why I consider Banjo-Kazooie to be the quintessential N64 rep.
Shiek debuted in OOT, as did Young Link(the idea he was young in some old games is a personal interpretation by Sakurai, but his true debut was still the 64). I'm talking about having their first appearance in 3D, so it doesn't matter when the character first appeared to me. I get your point, though.

Not Wolf?

Star Fox 64 was Wolf's first officially released game though.
Unless Wolf had his model directly appear in the game, I don't count him as his true 3D debut. You could play as Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy in multiplayer, making their true 3D debut. Wolf doesn't have this at all. I don't count a picture as a debut.

There really are, but personally for me, the bigger the franchises and iterations that were on N64, or characters that started on N64, the better, Mario, Peach, and Bowser for Super Mario 64 (Peach's Castle N64, Princess Peach's Castle, or Rainbow Cruise as a stage), Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and King K. Rool for Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing (Kongo Jungle 64, Kongo Falls, and Jungle Japes), Young Link for both Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask (with Great Bay as his stage), Sheik and Ganondorf for Ocarina of Time (Hyrule Castle 64), Yoshi for Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Story), Kirby and King Dedede for Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Land 64 or Green Greens would work), Fox, Falco, and Wolf for Star Fox 64 (Corneria or Venom), Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, and even Pichu for Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, and Pokemon Stadium 2 (Saffron City and Pokemon Stadium), and Captain Falcon for F-Zero X (Big Blue).

I wouldn't count Link or Zelda since their incarnations in this game are based on Breath of the Wild and Link to the Past/Between Worlds, nor Samus since other than Smash, Metroid had no N64 incarnations which I distinctly remember or Villager since even though they did debut on N64, it was only in Japan and got remastered on GameCube, but I would count Wolf since he did debut on Star Fox 64. Mega Man did have Mega Man Legends on N64, but that wasn't exclusive to N64 and it was Mega Man Volnutt instead of the Mega Man in Smash, so I wouldn't count him either, and Pac-Man only had one game on N64 and it was Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness which also wasn't exclusive and had Ms. Pac-Man in the lead role (they really should of made her an alt for Pac-Man, it would've been so simple). Sonic I would not include even though I get you were saying he had his 3D debut around the same time, just because it would be better to just have N64 reps. And even though Luigi, Wario, and Daisy did make appearance on the N64, they were mainly spin-offs.
Fair point on Link and Zelda. And ah, so Pac-Man still does count. It's still a form of MegaMan, and his first 3D debut in some way. I also don't consider spin-offs to matter whatsoever when choosing characters. A 3D first appearance is a 3D first appearance(as long as it's the character model). I'm only picky in a very specific way for how to work this. And I forgot PIchu, derp. I don't count Wolf as his first proper 3D model appeared on the GameCube instead(which is the particular context in how I'm looking at these characters).

The stage ideas are great, though~ And I'd argue fighting Master Hand fits even better, as he's the first Smash boss, via the 64 version. Ganon isn't a bad option, though. Either works.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Doubutsu no Mori came out wayyyyy too late to be considered N64 era. They're on N64 sure, but that's the dawn of the Gamecube. They had no presence during the N64's actual golden years, unlike Banjo (and Link).

I'd imagine Banjo's classic mode to look something like this:
banjo classic mode.PNG

Notable N64 games running chronologically from the beginning to (near) the end of it's lifespan.
Mario: Super Mario 64, June 23, 1996
Fox + Falco + Wolf: Star Fox 64, April 27, 1997
Yoshi: Yoshi's Story, December 21, 1997
Captain Falcon: F-Zero X, July 14, 1998
Young Link: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, November 21, 1998
Donkey Kong + Diddy Kong: Donkey Kong 64, November 22, 1999
Beast Ganon

Give or take Pokémon Stadium. Master Hand could also work as the boss, representing the original Super Smash Bros on N64. I know Mega Man and Castlevania had N64 games but I consider MML more of a PS1 game and Castlevania on N64 is... well... not very good... and you don't play as Simon or Richter in either of them anyway. Diddy Kong Racing could be referenced but that'd be redundant what with DK64 also being in the mix.

he HAS to fight DK, he just has to

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think in Banjo's classic mode there should be a fight between Banjo, Pikachu, Mario, and DK in reference to the image that features all of them.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if Banjo fights on the N64 stages it might be too similar to Jigglypuff’s classic mode.

What if like Banjo’s classic mode focuses on the anthropomorphic characters of Smash such as the DK characters, Star Fox Characters, Sonic, a few Pokemon, etc. I doubt they’d make a new boss for Banjo or any dlc character for that matter so I think it would be fitting if Banjo & Kazooie fought Crazy Hand and Master Hand - it’s two duos duking it out.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Incidentally, Ori has been a guest character on Rivals of Aether, and THAT game is being considered getting a Switch port...
I'm going to pre-order Rivals frame 1 once we get an official release date for the Switch port.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
E3 is shaping up to be big this year if it is just Microsoft and Nintendo. Which begs the question if Nintendo will join Microsoft on stage to rub it into Sony. Or they are just gonna do what they normally do and just casually announce how they are working together in their own separate presentations.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
E3 is shaping up to be big this year if it is just Microsoft and Nintendo. Which begs the question if Nintendo will join Microsoft on stage to rub it into Sony. Or they are just gonna do what they normally do and just casually announce how they are working together in their own separate presentations.
I got a feeling we will see them both up on stage together to announce Rare Replay on Switch. It oddly makes sense to see that happen.

It kind of tells the audience "See, we're friends! We are bringing you Rare games you haven't played since childhood. Also, Smash"

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I think BK's classic mode should be buddy themed:

Donkey and Diddy
Mario and Luigi
Ice Climbers
Ryu and Ken
Fox and Falco
Bowser and Bowser Jr.

And Bayonetta as the last boss for sure.

Either that or they should battle the 3D platformer-centric characters.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think BK's classic mode should be buddy themed:

Donkey and Diddy
Mario and Luigi
Ice Climbers
Ryu and Ken
Fox and Falco
Bowser and Bowser Jr.

And Bayonetta as the last boss for sure.

Either that or they should battle the 3D platformer-centric characters.
For some reason I was thinking Duck Hunt already did the duo theme. But it was just animals. But I swear a character already does a Duo theme. Was it ice climbers?

osby

Smash Obsessed
For some reason I was thinking Duck Hunt already did the duo theme. But it was just animals. But I swear a character already does a Duo theme. Was it ice climbers?
Yep. Diddy Kong's classic mode also followed a similar concept. Duck Hunt just fought with other animals.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The Bayonetta idea is good, they could also have Banjo tackle characters that resemble his bosses or something.

Giant Yoshi for Mr Patch, Bayonetta for Grunty, Bowser for Old King Coal, Charizard and Ridley for Chilli Willy and Chilli Billy etc.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I commented this on a Discord server, but I imagine Banjo's Classic mode route having him fight characters from games that center around exploration and finding hidden items (Mario, Link, Samus, Olimar, Wario, Donkey Kong(DK64) maybe Simon? (due to Simon's Quest)), since their games are pretty much the face of the "collectathon" genre.

And, obviously, the boss at the end has to be a green Bayonetta. Take no substitutes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think you're thinking of Chrom's actually, Fight As One.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I got a feeling we will see them both up on stage together to announce Rare Replay on Switch. It oddly makes sense to see that happen.

It kind of tells the audience "See, we're friends! We are bringing you Rare games you haven't played since childhood. Also, Smash"
The cherry on top of this awesome cake is that barely anyone who saw the VGAs would notice that Sony's PR person is the only one that's missing, showing how little presence they had. Even the Crash suit guy had more presence than him.

(they really should of made her an alt for Pac-Man, it would've been so simple)
After the early 00s, Namco has gotten severe issues not wanting to or allow to use any Pac-Man characters some, most or none of the company didn't make (including Ms. Pac-Man). I bet they didn't even suggest the option to Sakurai. It's a wonder that they continue to let Pac-Land exist in Smash, really.

At this point, the only thing that'll get them to reconsider is fight for her inclusion in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom