• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Microsoft approached Nintendo about a character in Smash, me thinks ‘twas Banjo
I think the impetus would come from Nintendo, they have the ballot results.

Yo guys, forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I stumbled across a point made by a Reddit user that may not have been made here.

You know how there are two Rare IPs in the game's code, the games being Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini? Well, while possibly nothing, in Rare Replay, the chronology of the Rare titles has both IPs sandwiching the Bird and Bear:

View attachment 200070
It's chronological, is it not?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
That is kind of interesting. Kind of reaching, but still a nice find in this sea of hints, rumors, etc.
Yeah defo, while a stretch I thought it was worth sharing. With Cuphead deconfirmed for Smash but confirmed for Switch, I'm feeling confident in Banjo at the very least being ported on Switch.

It's chronological, is it not?
Yeah, Rare Replay is in order of each game's OG release date

Last edited:
If Phil Spencer is the head of Xbox and he’s advocating for Banjo and is clearly aware of the fan demand, don’t ya think that’s who he’d bring to the table with Nintendo?

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
If Phil Spencer is the head of Xbox and he’s advocating for Banjo and is clearly aware of the fan demand, don’t ya think that’s who he’d bring to the table with Nintendo?
Any good businessman knows that a profitable decision is pointless if it means going back on a promise made to the customers. Phil's words regarding Banjo in Smash bros is almost a promise at this point. A man at his position should know that his words carry a lot of weight. If it really was hopeless and truly impossible to get the duo in I doubt Phil would be that vocal about it. Nintendo and Microsoft are not soulless corporations, they work for profit, but they know that happy fans = big big cash money.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, if he was advocating for Banjo, if he had told people to vote for him or kept name-dropping him in Smash like Suda51 does with Travis, it'd be a different story. But saying yes it'd be fine is not the same as advocating for or pushing a character. I reckon at this point Spencer would be fine lending any character to Smash. But I think, were it MS's decision, they'd go with a character they'd get more use out of.

That said, I don't think they'd be against adding Banjo were it suggested. I just don't think it'd be their idea.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm gonna come right out and say it. I fully believe Banjo getting in Smash would create more shock waves online then Steve.

Minecraft in smash would feel more like a sarcastic "big deal", kinda like when it was announced the game would be on Switch or 3DS. People are glad to have it, but it's not really something people get excited about these days.

Mean while Banjo in Smash would be like a return to glory for an age old beloved character. Nostalgia would run wild, the new model would make us cry (no way Steve can do that). His absence in the industry would be WHY his return would be such a big deal. Think K Rool
Trying to de-legitimize other's character picks is never a good idea and that's exactly what you're doing when you call him a "sarcastic 'big deal.'" I really dislike when I see this sort of terminology being thrown around even if I'm mostly ambivalent to Steve on a personal level. Does the Smash community overwhelmingly support Steve? Hell no, but the Smash community has lots of issues with lots of characters and even the ones that are majorly supported struggle sometimes.

But adding a game that has sold 150 million units and has captured a new generation of gamer altogether and appeals to a massive demographic of people is a big damn deal no matter how you look at it. Adding Banjo and Minecraft are both big deals, but for fundamentally different reasons. Banjo has the history and the historic partnership aspect, while Minecraft has a different historical context that we're still living and again a massive following that probably includes a lot of people here.

Think of how well Sakurai represents game and characters from those games, and how often he has won over even the nastiest critics with many characters. Incineroar got so much flack when Verge first dropped his name, but he's already amassed quite a fan base and loads more respect than those initial reactions would imply. Nobody knew they even wanted or could conceive of Piranha Plant as a character before Sakurai made him happen. I don't think the situation would be all that different with Minecraft representation beyond the disappointed fans bemoaning who the character is not. And I think it would generate generally nothing but positive press and acceptance after the initial wave of disappointment subsided.

And honestly, if there's ever a chance of a company getting two DLC fighters in the same pass, I think Microsoft with Banjo and Minecraft is absolutely the only one with even a reasonable chance seeing as Minecraft only kind of fits into the Microsoft narrative...

I think Phil Spencer would be completely willing to work with whoever Nintendo and Sakurai come to him with based upon his openness and willing to work with other companies. But we've always seen that Sakurai gets the final say on who is chosen and approaches the company with that character in mind (Though Nintendo chose this time, I don't think the process changes much). I don't think it's a negotiation of who gets in as much as it's a negotiation of legal rights and representation of the character.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn’t the rights for Banjo be easier to get considering how low-profile he is compared to Mojang’s juggernaut Minecraft? I’m not really sure how this works honestly.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Wouldn’t the rights for Banjo be easier to get considering how low-profile he is compared to Mojang’s juggernaut Minecraft? I’m not really sure how this works honestly.
I remember asking this earlier. I think so

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Any good businessman knows that a profitable decision is pointless if it means going back on a promise made to the customers.
Right, morality is a well-known aspect of the economy.

Phil's words regarding Banjo in Smash bros is almost a promise at this point. A man at his position should know that his words carry a lot of weight. If it really was hopeless and truly impossible to get the duo in I doubt Phil would be that vocal about it.
It's funny how rarely speaking in absolutes like "it's a promise" or "it's impossible" reflects reality. Luckily, there's a lot of middle-ground between those two extremes, and therein you will find the situation at hand.

Especially since under this paradigm there'd be no way for him to express that it's simply possible, nothing more and nothing less.

Nintendo and Microsoft are not soulless corporations, they work for profit, but they know that happy fans = big big cash money.
The secret is, they'd make a lot of money with any plausible addition. But depending on who they add, they could make even more money elsewhere. That's why, if it came down to MS, I think they'd opt for a character they can profit off of more than Banjo. Unless they have impending plans to use him

But it won't come down solely to their call, that's not how Smash works, so ultimately this is moot.

How prolific a character is doesn't directly correlate to how easy they are to obtain. It might effect their price, but difficulty is more contingent on how many parties are at play, and how cooperative each party is.

But as far as Smash goes, money doesn't seem to be an issue. For characters at least.

Last edited:
One of the problems I see in these arguments is the idea that Smash is the only place where Microsoft can push their brand. “If they’re gonna have a character in Smash it’s gotta be the one who will be the most profitable!” But as we’ve been seeing, Microsoft are bringing their entire games over to Switch. Minecraft, Cuphead, supposedly Ori, supposedly Master Chief Collection. Their big guns are already benefiting on Nintendo in other ways. They don’t “need” to have their “most profitable” character in Smash. What the character “needs” to be is simply a character that the Smash community and the Nintendo community will go nuts over and be happy about and therefore make lots of money.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

One of the problems I see in these arguments is the idea that Smash is the only place where Microsoft can push their brand. “If they’re gonna have a character in Smash it’s gotta be the one who will be the most profitable!” But as we’ve been seeing, Microsoft are bringing their entire games over to Switch. Minecraft, Cuphead, supposedly Ori, supposedly Master Chief Collection. Their big guns are already benefiting on Nintendo in other ways. They don’t “need” to have their “most profitable” character in Smash. What the character “needs” to be is simply a character that the Smash community and the Nintendo community will go nuts over and be happy about and therefore make lots of money.
If anything, Banjo getting in would be step 1 on the road to their revival. Cultivating the hype around Banjo-kazooie and possibly marketing them off to a younger group would sell big time. Plus it would make headlines as a return of a lost IP that was essentially part of the Nintendo family. If the Totaku sales is hard enough, imagine the quest you have to embark for a Banjo-kazooie Amiibo.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Was browsing reddit when someone on the Banjo sub said Lootcrate removed the Banjo Kazooie logo from their site.

I wonder if the Banjo item was removed or Microsoft wanted a “and more” thing... which I won’t pretend to admit I don’t understand.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Was browsing reddit when someone on the Banjo sub said Lootcrate removed the Banjo Kazooie logo from their site.

I wonder if the Banjo item was removed or Microsoft wanted a “and more” thing... which I won’t pretend to admit I don’t understand.
You're right.
02-28:
chrome_2019-02-28_17-28-44-png.png

Today:
chrome_2019-03-21_23-02-59.png

What type of game are you playing here Microsoft.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Is this bad?
Here is the thing. This seems like more of a "people weren't supposed to know yet" sort of situation. By this point in the month the lootcrates would have already been packed and are getting ready to be sent out. That would be to late to actually remove the Banjo-Kazooie stuff. So it could mean one of two things. Banjo-Kazooie was never intended for this lootcrate (which would mean the logo was added and stayed up for several weeks without anyone at Lootcrate noticing) or Microsoft asked for the logo to be removed for some reason.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Could it have been for some kind of tie in? Maybe Lootcrate knew they would include Banjo Kazooie stuff later but accidentally advertised it for this month. At least that’s what I think might have happened but it might just be wishful thinking.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Anyone subscribed to Loot Crate? When you get your Crate, let us know if you have any B&K merch lol.

Though I am curious, has this sort of thing happened before with Loot Crate advertising early or taking merch off?

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Didn’t Lootcrate also make those Banjo-Kazooie 20th anniversary license plates? I doubt they’d mistake it with that.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Here is the thing. This seems like more of a "people weren't supposed to know yet" sort of situation. By this point in the month the lootcrates would have already been packed and are getting ready to be sent out. That would be to late to actually remove the Banjo-Kazooie stuff. So it could mean one of two things. Banjo-Kazooie was never intended for this lootcrate (which would mean the logo was added and stayed up for several weeks without anyone at Lootcrate noticing) or Microsoft asked for the logo to be removed for some reason.
Buy why would Microsoft want it removed? Are they planning something? Or is this another case of MS going:
"Hey! Did I just catch you having good things Banjo?! No! Bad! Get back in your irrelevancy box!"

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Buy why would Microsoft want it removed. Are they planning something? Or is this another case of MS going:
"Hey! Did I just catch you having good things Banjo?! No! Bad! Get back in your irrelevancy box!"
Microsoft would have to have approved the items and the logo to appear at all in the first place. No way the logo was added there by mistake as they made sure to include room for it in the franchises box. So if the B&K item was never supposed to appear they had plenty of time to catch it. But the logo has been up for several weeks at this point just now being removed. I really do think Microsoft was waiting to announce something before people knew that Lootcrate would have a B&K item in it. But Lootcrate didn't know that and added the logo to early and Microsoft didn't know about it.

I pointed it out the last time this was brought up. But when you look at the original franchise list. Banjo & Kazooie was being included in a box with Fallout, Sonic, and Megaman. Banjo & Kazooie sticks at like a sore thumb. It is the only franchise on that list that hasn't had a new game in the last several years. I feel like there is a reason why it is there. But we weren't supposed to know just yet.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
You know, if we really don't get a new Banjo game anytime soon, I'd be down for a Diddy Kong Racing port on Switch in its place, or especially a sequel.
We're getting a Crash Team Racing remake, so why not DKR? It'd be a great fit for Switch, and Cuphead pretty much proves Microsoft would be willing to let such a thing happen.

I mean, this probably won't happen, but a guy can dream.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, if he was advocating for Banjo, if he had told people to vote for him or kept name-dropping him in Smash like Suda51 does with Travis, it'd be a different story. But saying yes it'd be fine is not the same as advocating for or pushing a character. I reckon at this point Spencer would be fine lending any character to Smash. But I think, were it MS's decision, they'd go with a character they'd get more use out of.

That said, I don't think they'd be against adding Banjo were it suggested. I just don't think it'd be their idea.
He has name dropped him though. I dont have time to dig up the interview but I'm sure someone else here has it

Mr. Stagg

He has name dropped him though. I dont have time to dig up the interview but I'm sure someone else here has it
There are 3 instances where Phil name dropped the duo.

1st via Tweet in 2015: "I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues"

2nd Via Interview about Battletoads in 2016:

I know I get questions all the time on would I ever like to see Banjo in Super Smash Bros. and I’m, like, “yes, I would do that in a second”. And certain people think I’m saying that as some sort of PR answer and I’m, like, “why wouldn’t you?”.”
https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3564591

3rd is Via tweet in 2018: "Yep"

Burn these into your memory, lads and ladies. Dont ever lose faith.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

1st via Tweet in 2015: "I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues"

I know I get questions all the time on would I ever like to see Banjo in Super Smash Bros. and I’m, like, “yes, I would do that in a second”. And certain people think I’m saying that as some sort of PR answer and I’m, like, “why wouldn’t you?”.”

I'm very certain and remember there was a 2nd time he tweeted sometime in late 2016 that people tend to forget, It was the same as his first tweet just in different words.

I tried looking for it before, But I can't find it ,Maybe it must have been lost ,accidentally deleted or something, There's tons of articles on his 2015 and 2018 tweets, But for some reason the one from 2016 can't seem to be found in any capacity or archive.

If anyone can find it I would appreciate it, It's been driving me nuts that it hasn't been brought up or found.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Right, that interview was what I was referring to. That's an unprompted name drop, not just answering a question and as he says not "pr speak". That's him genuinely as a gamer wanting to see Banjo in Smash.

At least that's how I see it.

Right, that interview was what I was referring to. That's an unprompted name drop, not just answering a question and as he says not "pr speak". That's him genuinely as a gamer wanting to see Banjo in Smash.

At least that's how I see it.
At the very least we know that Phil is aware of how much the fans want Banjo in Smash. I think it would be a huge middle finger to the fans to publicly acknowledge it multiple times and talk about how cool you are with it and then proceed to not make it happen despite finally having the opportunity

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
At the very least we know that Phil is aware of how much the fans want Banjo in Smash. I think it would be a huge middle finger to the fans to publicly acknowledge it multiple times and talk about how cool you are with it and then proceed to not make it happen despite finally having the opportunity
With like STEVE BLOCKS INTO BATTLE or somethjin

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
I keep having dreams of the Banjo announcement and it's driving me insane
I hear ya. I just had a dream where, out of nowhere, a one-minute Smash update dropped mid-direct (it wasn't even Nintendo's Direct). They showed off the legacy Rare characters have made, then announced Banjo for Smash.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
While I think Cuphead looks great ,I personally don't like the idea of indies joining Smash as fighters, That's why Brawlout exist, if your going to get in as a 3rd Party Character in Super Smash Bros then you sure as hell better have the legacy/track record and status to get an invitation, Even minor or lesser known Nintendo characters have the advantage because obviously they are own by Nintendo so they get a pass.
Even Indie characters deserve better than Brawlout.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I keep having dreams of the Banjo announcement and it's driving me insane
I had the very same thing happen yesterday!
Why not share?

This would take place at E3 during a joint Nintendo and Microsoft segment. Shows off titles making it's way to the Switch and it ends with highlights of Rare Replay. We see battletoads, Jet Force Gemini and then we see some N64 titles showing up (DKR, DK64, Perfect Dark, etc)
Yet, we do not see B&K anywhere, just the title Rare Replay: Nintendo Edition.

As the words remain on screen, it slowly zooms out at an angle to reveal it is on a Switch, being played by Banjo and Kazooie.

Insert witty banter between the duo and we get a shot of a Remaster of Banjo & Kazooie for Xbox One AND The Switch.

Banjo: Wow that looks good! I guess that's it huh?
Kazooie: No, you forgot something VERY important, Banjo!
Banjo: Guhhhh what's that?
Kazooie points to the Switch Screen
Banjo: *Surprised* Ohh Guh hyuh! That's right! Thanks Kazooie. People would have been upset if we missed this.
*Next shot is them looking at the Switch with Super Smash Bros Ultimate opened up*
Smash Announcement.

Top Bottom