• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why not? I mean, Nintendo gets that, Microsoft gets to push MCC on the Switch as a way to advertise the Xbox-exclusive Infinite. Win-win.

The rumors, if proven true, make me more sceptical about the whole decon thing, but lets not get into that.
I think you've got me wrong. I'm disagreeing with the assertion that in light of Cuphead, MCC wouldn't be that big a deal.

Though I also think that was one of the most unambiguous Smash deconfirmations thus far.

But the thing is, fans have been asking for Banjo in Smash for nearly 20 years. That’s a whole lotta years for them to just not notice something. It’s not like a new thing that fans recently started asking for.
It actually kind of is. Since Rare got bought people figured Banjo was basically an impossibility, which resulted in virtually no real noticeable demand or congregated fanbase past the occasional spot on some wishlist or dream roster. Things only turned around when Spencer's tweet had people reevaluating the situation.

That said, the renewed spark coincided with the ballot, so I'd guess Banjo performed pretty well and thus Nintendo is aware.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But the thing is, fans have been asking for Banjo in Smash for nearly 20 years. That’s a whole lotta years for them to just not notice something. It’s not like a new thing that fans recently started asking for. I guarantee Banjo has come up in previous Smash games but it’s obviously never been within the realm of possibility until now.
Yes, fans have been asking for Banjo for 20 years and he was a more of a serious consideration during the era when Rare actually still worked directly with Nintendo.

But that fan support largely went dormant and Banjo went to absolute pipe-dream status the minute Rare and Nintendo broke up. We only got any hope and significant support of Banjo back when Phil Spencer stoked those fires back in 2015-2016 with his comments on letting Banjo join the Smash roster. That's a good 10+ years where Banjo was a completely unreasonable expectation when all hope for a Nintendo reunion seemed lost. People didn't actively support him during Smash 4 from what I remember, he just wasn't a possibility to consider. Microsoft and Nintendo working together on that level was absolutely unprecedented minus the handful of Gameboy Advance titles released in the early 2000s. So, he wasn't a contender at all.

So, I seriously doubt Banjo came up in any serious capacity for Brawl or Smash 4, and likely fell to the same analysis that we as fans took Rare's departure to mean; "Banjo belongs to Microsoft and and there's no further conversation to even be had on the subject."

Now, we have a very different climate in the gaming industry, so it's just a matter of did they recognize his popularity in time to really make him a priority and did Nintendo and Sakurai see him as enough of a priority to sort through all of the legal paperwork and red tape to make it happen. Banjo's a big fan win, but he's certainly got a lot more hurdles than Ridley or even King K. Rool would ever have. He's third party belonging to one of the main western competitors in the console market and without a whole lot of opportunity for him to appear on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo could have just looked at the situation and decided against Banjo in terms of cost versus benefit because they didn't entirely see his popularity or didn't see it as justifiable to prioritize his inclusion. Banjo just doesn't have any actual consistent support of 20 years to highlight in that discussion unfortunately.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo just didn't consider him for all that long because that's a more traditional Nintendo blunder to make. They've misinterpreted a character like Isaac before and have seen the outrage at him just being an assist, Banjo could just as easily be in the same boat of misinterpreted character choice. Nintendo will make their own analyses and decide from there.

All that practically means for Banjo is that he has a shot based upon factors we've got no idea about.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think you've got me wrong. I'm disagreeing with the assertion that in light of Cuphead, MCC wouldn't be that big a deal.
Yes I did get you wrong. My mistake.

And yeah, I do get the sense that Banjo and Steve were each other's big spanner-in-the-works during the Nintendo-Microsoft talks. Really hard to compare fandom demand wiylth general mega popularity.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I’ve yet to see Polar Panda be wrong about anything!
Personally speaking, I generally try to take leaks/insiders with a grain of salt, so I'm trying not to get TOO invested in this, but like I stated before, it would be amazing if Rare Replay did come to the Switch!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie has always been demanded since Melee ,But once the buyout happened in 2002 fans realized that they would never have a shot ever again so they were more of a middle of the pack/back end request fighter that wasn't taken seriously or thought to even be possible.

It wasn't until 2015 (During the Ballot) when Phil Spencer gave his blessing that demand really took off and has been snowballing ever since, With other heavily requested newcomers like King K. Rool and Ridley finally making the cut, Banjo-Kazooie has risen through the most wanted ranks and is now a top request newcomer.

If Banjo-Kazooie does make it in, It probably be the biggest comeback/underdog story for any newcomer in Super Smash Bros History considering the circumstances they had to overcome and that's coming from a big supporter of King K.Rool.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Banjo-Kazooie has always been demanded since Melee ,But once the buyout happened in 2002 fans realized that they would never have a shot ever again so they were more of a middle of the pack/back end request fighter that wasn't taken seriously.

It wasn't until 2015 (During the Ballot) when Phil Spencer gave his blessing that demand really took off and has been snowballing ever since, With other heavily requested newcomers like King K. Rool and Ridley finally making the cut, Banjo-Kazooie has risen through the most wanted ranks and is now a top request newcomer.

If Banjo-Kazooie does make it in, It probably be the biggest comeback/underdog story for any newcomer in Super Smash Bros History considering the circumstances they had to overcome.
You'd think people would get wise to this when Sonic managed to get in. The concept of rivalries and opposing companies was shattered with that and Snake. Still pulling for Agumon to the the Pokemon rival in Smash. That would be sick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You'd think people would get wise to this when Sonic managed to get in. The concept of rivalries and opposing companies was shattered with that and Snake. Still pulling for Agumon to the the Pokemon rival in Smash. That would be sick.
That would be a very fitting comparison if Microsoft had exited the console scene like seven years ago. Or if Nintendo had ever had a rivalry with Konami.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The more we see Microsoft collaborations, the less of an impact and surprise Banjo-Kazooie in Smash will be, particularly if the announcement comes after a Rare Replay on Switch. Sort of like what happened with Sonic in Brawl's impact being lessened by the announcement of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games, like, it was obviously happening after that was revealed... So, yeah, maybe by now, everyone will just sort of expect Banjo-Kazooie to happen, but, it'll still blow my mind, not because it's Microsoft anymore, but just because it's Rare, it's Banjo-Kazooie, it's finally here, after nearly two decades away from Nintendo... they'd be back. I'd be crying with joy after all of the heartbreak that we went through with the Microsoft buyout.

So, if anybody wants to argue Steve, or Master Chief, or even Cuphead would be more popular picks since they're more widely known and current, sure, you could say that, but none of them come close to Banjo-Kazooie in terms of how much they mean to Nintendo and its history, and to the fans who grew up as Nintendo fans in the 90s, there's nobody who'd be a bigger deal than Banjo-Kazooie. And it makes me so incredibly happy to see them continually requested and topping polls, they deserve it so much.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I don’t know about you guys, but I really like the GBA designs for Banjo and I hope if he’s in they’ll go for more of this design.
1D9B4B1E-AE7E-4B75-A34A-A00982BED310.png

Violante

Smash Apprentice
The real question is: would the switch versions of Kazooie and Tooie be exactly as they were on the Xbox, or will the Nintendo/N64 references be reinstated back into the game? Would we even get the 4J Studios remaster at all as opposed to a new remaster from the original N64 roms? Certainly a compilation as big as Rare Replay would need a lot of retooling in order to release on Switch.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The recent Turok release on Switch was a remastered port, so I'd imagine if Microsoft brought over B-K and B-T to the Switch, they'd be the 4J studios remasters. However, if we get B-K and B-T on a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, they'd be straight ports of the N64 originals. That's how I see it going anyway.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah I could see the remasterds on switch rare replay & originals on N64 classic mini (maybe even some rare DK games ? Diddy kong racing at least on the rare replay for switch)

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
This whole deal with Microsoft potentially getting more of their exclusives on Switch gets me excited. I just might try out Cuphead now, and I'll be holding out hope for Ori, and of course, Rare Replay. BK and BT on the Switch would be pretty amazing.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, if Rare Replay comes to Switch, then I think that’s about as close to a done deal as you could make Banjo without actively announcing him I feel like. It’d be very weird to port over Banjo Kazooie games without then making him a part of Smash when so much incredible groundwork has already been lain.

That said, the Rare Replay Collection is pretty damn big in of itself too once you factor in the Xbox 360 titles, I wonder if they’d have it be a download addition or if we might see our first proper use of a 32 GB card. Really hoping for the latter there.

Also, if we somehow end up with Halo and Rare Replay on Switch in addition to Cuphead, I’d honestly have almost no reason to keep my Xbox One around lol.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Well, if Rare Replay comes to Switch, then I think that’s about as close to a done deal as you could make Banjo without actively announcing him I feel like. It’d be very weird to port over Banjo Kazooie games without then making him a part of Smash when so much incredible groundwork has already been lain.

That said, the Rare Replay Collection is pretty damn big in of itself too once you factor in the Xbox 360 titles, I wonder if they’d have it be a download addition or if we might see our first proper use of a 32 GB card. Really hoping for the latter there.

Also, if we somehow end up with Halo and Rare Replay on Switch in addition to Cuphead, I’d honestly have almost no reason to keep my Xbox One around lol.
If they use the 32gb cart. They are basically making a brand new version of the game. Because the way Rare Replay works is that a lot of the games were just keys to download the games from the Xbox store. They aren't actually a part of the Rare Replay disk. So they would need to program a new version of the game that integrates non-downloaded copies of said games into Rare Replay. And that is on top of needing to get all the 360 games to run on the Nintendo Switch hardware. This is by no means an easy port and if its happening I feel like there is bigger plans in store for us.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't think a Switch's Rare Replay lineup would be the same as the XBone's is.

I'm almost certain Star Fox Adventures and Diddy Kong Racing would be there.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I want Rare Replay on the Switch as much as anyone here and wouldn't even mind paying extra for the "Switch Tax" ,But my biggest concern is if it is even possible to port to Switch?

Anything Pre-Xbox shouldn't be a problem such as the N64 era titles even if they were XBLA ports too, But anything afterwards would require a ton of work to run on Switch, But the good news is that the Xbox 360 titles were treated as seperate downloads from the actual physical game itself so I assume they can just cut them out which I think most people wouldn't mind since most of them were pretty forgettable and Ghoulies for the Original Xbox was also pretty bad so that one wouldn't be missed ,But that was included inside the physical game.

I and many other would love to see Nintendo get involved and help release a modified version of Rare Replay by including Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures as replacements for the Xbox 360 titles which would make the version for the Switch definitive and feel more complete.

Trade proposal

Xbox/360 titles:
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata 2
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

Vs

SNES/N64/Gamecube titles

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Star Fox Adventures

It works out perfectly a 6 for 6 trade that would still keep it at 30 games.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Man, I really wanted to play Ghoulies, Kameo, and Viva Pinata on the Switch. Oh well.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nah, I want Viva Piñata on Switch lol. They even had a DS game, so it’s already been on Nintendo consoles.

It’s not like we haven’t released DKC in multiple capacities over the past two decades (I adore the games, but good god have they been released on everything they can be except for strangely enough 2 and 3 on the SNES Classic).

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I want Rare Replay on the Switch as much as anyone here and wouldn't even mind paying extra for the "Switch Tax" ,But my biggest concern is if it is even possible to port to Switch?

Anything Pre-Xbox shouldn't be a problem such as the N64 era titles even if they were XBLA ports too, But anything afterwards would require a ton of work to run on Switch, But the good news is that the Xbox 360 titles were treated as seperate downloads from the actual physical game itself so I assume they can just cut them out which I think most people wouldn't mind since most of them were pretty forgettable and Ghoulies for the Original Xbox was also pretty bad so that one wouldn't be missed ,But that was included inside the physical game.

I and many other would love to see Nintendo get involved and help release a modified version of Rare Replay by including Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures as replacements for the Xbox 360 titles which would make the version for the Switch definitive and feel more complete.

Trade proposal

Xbox/360 titles:
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata 2
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

Vs

SNES/N64/Gamecube titles

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Star Fox Adventures

It works out perfectly a 6 for 6 trade that would still keep it at 30 games.
I want Nuts and Bolts on the Switch honestly.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Got some good fan-art to share with you Bros. Some good takes on the Bear and Bird design. Looks very Smash Worthy.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/W2bKPv

These were made by https://twitter.com/_JAG3DArt/status/1108074372932214785
Very good indeed! Good combination of the classic and Nuts n' Bolts styles haha I'd be okay if they looked like that. But honestly, my preferred Banjo & Kazooie would be as close to looking like their promotional material from the N64 days as possible with maybe some flourishes from Nuts n' Bolts for their feathers/fur and backpack and shorts.

I want Nuts and Bolts on the Switch honestly.
Honestly, I do as well, I'd like to see all the Banjo-Kazooie games, including Diddy Kong Racing, Grunty's Revenge, Banjo-Pilot, and Nuts n' Bolts on the Switch with Kazooie & Tooie. I think Nuts n' Bolts would be a blast to play on the go, honestly. And of course, Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters in Smash, if possible.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind having Nuts & Bolts in a Switch version of Rare Replay ,But didn't it have trouble running on 360 emulation ? I'm sure it was still playable ,But that was on Xbox One, I wonder how well it would even run on Switch.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wouldn't mind having Nuts & Bolts in a Switch version of Rare Replay ,But didn't it have trouble running on 360 emulation ? I'm sure it was still playable ,But that was on Xbox One, I wonder how well it would even run on Switch.
When Rare Replay released, the game lagged super hard in Showdown Town.
A patch made it run a bit more smoothly.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to ask this earlier but what has polar panda leaked correctly. I barely know anything about him.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
I dont care if we get nuts and bolts really, but what i really do care about is STOP AND SWOP FUNCTIONALITY. That ice key has been taunting me for far too long!!!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
She posted on twitter that Rare Replay is coming to Switch.
I think LogFrog's asking what PolarPanda has been correct on concerning leaks in the past that make them a viable source of information, which personally I'd like to know as well, honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom