• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i don't really want to see another Banjo & Kazooie vs. Steve debate,can we please not start this up again?

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I’m not really against Steve, but I’m just paranoid if he’ll get in and Banjo won’t. This might be the only fighter pass we’ll get and frankly, I’m sick and tired of waiting for Banjo and Kazooie to return; it’s been way too long.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't really hate Steve, I just have apathy, since I have no strong feelings towards Minecraft.

Though I still think people are being paranoid for nothing and that he actually may not be in at all, while the leakers' sources somehow misinterpreted something they found. It doesn't help that every time there's been a Minecraft-related event, people immediately assumed there would be a Smash announcement, despite the fact that said events have nothing to do with Nintendo.

i don't really want to see another Banjo & Kazooie vs. Steve debate,can we please not start this up again?
You're right, let's just shift to "Is Shantae actually getting popular in Japan or not?" instead. :4pacman:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
My thoughts regarding Steve are basically the same: unless there does end up being at least a second Fighter Pass, then I'd feel more than a little bummed if Steve got in over Banjo-Kazooie. That said, I'd still try to give him an honest chance and see how well he would play, but it'd still be a somewhat bitter pill to swallow. As unlikely as it is, however, I'd be cool with both of them getting in through this Fighter Pass.

Also, happy 300th page, Banjoroos!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I bet they will go with Master Chief or a Battletoad because of upcoming releases. Master Chief is the father of Xbox and Battletoads was one of the more must have games on the NES.

We keep arguing around in circles when we might not even be near what their plans are. Joker was unexpected. And people jump stright to arguing about super obvious characters like Erdrick, Steve, and Banjo getting in next. Either the rest of the pass is going to reflect Joker when no one saw then coming or Joker is our oddball pick and the rest of the DLC is going to be super obvious.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I bet they will go with Master Chief or a Battletoad because of upcoming releases. Master Chief is the father of Xbox and Battletoads was one of the more must have games on the NES.

We keep arguing around in circles when we might not even be near what their plans are. Joker was unexpected. And people jump stright to arguing about super obvious characters like Erdrick, Steve, and Banjo getting in next. Either the rest of the pass is going to reflect Joker when no one saw then coming or Joker is our oddball pick and the rest of the DLC is going to be super obvious.
Plus every character out there has at least one person wanting them in, so if they were to truly fit the definition of unexpected, they'd have to go with characters that haven't been mentioned online, and it would get too confusing and literal.

Besides, Joker had a support thread started for them way before the reveal happened, so.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Plus every character out there has at least one person wanting them in, so if they were to truly fit the definition of unexpected, they'd have to go with characters that haven't been mentioned online, and it would get too confusing and literal.

Besides, Joker had a support thread started for them way before the reveal happened, so.
I didn't mean it like that. When I mean not super obvious characters like Joker. I'm talking more in the sense of "there are no obvious signs they could possibly get in" until they are announced. Sure people wanted Joker. But no one expected Joker.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn't mean it like that. When I mean not super obvious characters like Joker. I'm talking more in the sense of "there are no obvious signs they could possibly get in" until they are announced. Sure people wanted Joker. But no one expected Joker.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. With Eddy and Steve's supposed buildup, I can't help but feel that people are setting themselves up for disappointment. If nothing for them does come true, the phrase "now you know how it feels" comes to mind.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

wouldn't using a character from a well-known upcoming release be super obvious too? Banjo is still unexpected for many seeing as they've been MIA for almost 11 years.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
wouldn't using a character from a well-known upcoming release be super obvious too? Banjo is still unexpected for many seeing as they've been MIA for almost 11 years.
But I also feel like Master Chief would fall where Joker falls. Wanted but no one actually expects it to happen. Banjo can be expected from being heavily requested and being a star of the Nintendo 64.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Master Chief has been deconfirmed.

The only reason people think Erdrick and Steve are super obvious are because of supposed leaks. It's not because of the characters themselves.

Last edited:
But I also feel like Master Chief would fall where Joker falls. Wanted but no one actually expects it to happen. Banjo can be expected from being heavily requested and being a star of the Nintendo 64.
You could also say Banjo is wanted but not expected. But he’s MASSIVELY wanted, yet still not expected by most. Adding Banjo would be a win-win situation as far as that goes

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
I think Banjo&Kazooie are very unique under the circumstances, and I feel like they are a perfect fit for smash because of it.

1) As far as "unexpected" characters go, they definitely fall under that category. Sure, they have a huge fanbase that loves them and wants to see them revived/in smash, but I'm pretty sure the majority dont EXPECT them. Its not the same. I mean... the games that made them famous (and the ones people loved) came out like 20 years ago. Halo and Minecraft, for example, would be the "expected" franchises to be repped when we look at it that way.

2) They hit a certain sweet spot when it comes to appeal. Nintendo fans love Nintendo because of the cartoony and colorful characters and worlds. Microsoft doesn't really have many characters like that, but Banjo is definitely one of their biggest that fits that mold. You attract newer Nintendo fans that have never heard of him as well as the older fans that never forgot about him.

3) I also think it would be important for Microsoft to establish and elevate more of the characters they own. Banjo-kazooie was one of the best selling N64 games, and Yooka-laylee met its goal within minutes on the mere promise of being like Banjo. The foundation is there. Why not take this opportunity to make Banjo&Kazooie even bigger than they are now? Smash is selling like crazy, and I'm sure many of those fans don't know about our favorite duo. Again, using them as examples, Minecraft and Halo are already huge. I dont feel like they need the extra exposure.

Anyway, that's how I sometimes look at it. Just some of my opinions to share with fellow Banjo-kazooie fans.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I could see Battletoads getting in down the line if Banjo gets in. Sakurai has a fondness for NES icons.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Even tho I wasn't really gunning for him, it kinda bums me out that chief is deconfirmed. Banjo is still my most wanted, but chief would've been a hype character. I can imagine his trailer playing to halo 2's theme.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pfft. Steve is a very obvious character not because of leaks but because he's a huge gaming icon and Microsoft and Nintendo have been heavily working with it(have a Creeper N3DS is a big deal, something fairly unexpected from an opposing company to directly use their character to promote another system).. The leaks aren't why he's expected. They're a bonus instead.

Erdrick is only really expected due to the leaks, though.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I really only see Minecraft being represented in the same way Monster Hunter is right now in Ultimate. Besides, I believe no one knows the DLC except higher ups and Sakurai. But I really hope they drop who the next DLC character is in the next Smash update in April.

Violante

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, Master Chief being the only officially denied Microsoft character is making me think he's the only one who will get in.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
What is there to gain from adding Steve? At the end of the day, Minecraft is individually the best selling game of all time. So... why would it need promoting? I understand that Minecraft should be represented, so make it a free stage alongside the actual Microsoft rep. Plus Steve would be the first Swedish character, at least Nintendo has used American and UK characters before. Just my 2 cents though

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What is there to gain from adding Steve? At the end of the day, Minecraft is individually the best selling game of all time. So... why would it need promoting?
It's more like promoting Smash than promoting Minecraft. Even though kids are already gonna play it because Mario.

SKX31

Smash Master
Any news from the conference?
I found two Microsoft conferences that may be interesting for those hunting for a Joker-esque surprise announcement (Times are in Pacific):

Wednesday, March 20 | 12:30pm - 1:30pm

XBOX LIVE: GROWING & ENGAGING YOUR GAMING COMMUNITY ACROSS PLATFORMS (PRESENTED BY MICROSOFT)

Sponsor Speakers: Bill Schiefelbein (Microsoft), Ramsey Khadder (Microsoft)
Pass Type: All Access, GDC Conference + Summits, GDC Conference, GDC Summits, Expo Plus, Audio Conference + Tutorial, Indie Games Summit
Topic: Programming
Format: Sponsored Session

Thursday, March 21 | 10:00am - 11:00am

PROJECT XCLOUD: THE FUTURE OF STREAMING XBOX GAMES ON MOBILE DEVICES AND BEYOND (PRESENTED BY MICROSOFT)

Sponsor Speakers: Gus Apostol (Microsoft), Brandon Riffe (Microsoft), Shawn Farkas(Microsoft)
Pass Type: All Access, GDC Conference + Summits, GDC Conference, GDC Summits, Expo Plus, Audio Conference + Tutorial, Indie Games Summit

My initial prediction is that we're not likely to see anything Smash related, 10ish % chance of that max. However, that's not to say it's impossible. That said though, the type of game emphasized might be telling, but could be a red herring too. Tread with caution here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get that, but that doesn’t have to be accomplished with a fighter does it? That didn’t happen with Monster Hunter (yet)
Valid point. Plus people care more about the setting anyway (like Monster Hunter).

I mean, we got an AT promoting a (dead) Koei Tecmo property, and that doesn't have anyone playable.

I found two Microsoft conferences that may be interesting for those hunting for a Joker-esque surprise announcement (Times are in Pacific):

Wednesday, March 20 | 12:30pm - 1:30pm

XBOX LIVE: GROWING & ENGAGING YOUR GAMING COMMUNITY ACROSS PLATFORMS (PRESENTED BY MICROSOFT)

Sponsor Speakers: Bill Schiefelbein (Microsoft), Ramsey Khadder (Microsoft)

Thursday, March 21 | 10:00am - 11:00am

PROJECT XCLOUD: THE FUTURE OF STREAMING XBOX GAMES ON MOBILE DEVICES AND BEYOND (PRESENTED BY MICROSOFT)

Sponsor Speakers: Gus Apostol (Microsoft), Brandon Riffe (Microsoft), Shawn Farkas(Microsoft)

My initial prediction is that we're not likely to see anything Smash related, 10ish % chance of that max. However, that's not to say it's impossible. That said though, the type of game emphasized might be telling, but could be a red herring too. Tread with caution here.
Yeah, I'm about 98% certain nothing interesting will happen, that would be best saved for E3. Also, any links to related streams for those, just in case?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Characters aren't added to "promote" things in many cases. If Steve gets in, it's because he's a gaming icon. It's... actually pretty much that simple. We've rarely had picks for the sake of promotion anyway(Roy and Corrin are... it. The rest got in for different reasons).

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I think Banjo&Kazooie are very unique under the circumstances, and I feel like they are a perfect fit for smash because of it.

1) As far as "unexpected" characters go, they definitely fall under that category. Sure, they have a huge fanbase that loves them and wants to see them revived/in smash, but I'm pretty sure the majority dont EXPECT them. Its not the same. I mean... the games that made them famous (and the ones people loved) came out like 20 years ago. Halo and Minecraft, for example, would be the "expected" franchises to be repped when we look at it that way.

2) They hit a certain sweet spot when it comes to appeal. Nintendo fans love Nintendo because of the cartoony and colorful characters and worlds. Microsoft doesn't really have many characters like that, but Banjo is definitely one of their biggest that fits that mold. You attract newer Nintendo fans that have never heard of him as well as the older fans that never forgot about him.

3) I also think it would be important for Microsoft to establish and elevate more of the characters they own. Banjo-kazooie was one of the best selling N64 games, and Yooka-laylee met its goal within minutes on the mere promise of being like Banjo. The foundation is there. Why not take this opportunity to make Banjo&Kazooie even bigger than they are now? Smash is selling like crazy, and I'm sure many of those fans don't know about our favorite duo. Again, using them as examples, Minecraft and Halo are already huge. I dont feel like they need the extra exposure.

Anyway, that's how I sometimes look at it. Just some of my opinions to share with fellow Banjo-kazooie fans.
How do we know that Banjo and Kazooie will not attract little kids as well? Why shill Minecraft when you can use a more popular character that can be appreceated by both young and older gamers? If the Bear and Bird gained such a great following to last to this day, it would make perfect sense to bring them out in a scene as widely seen like Smash. Minecraft is big enough, they don't need shilling and Nintendo's already made cash money from Switch and Smash sales. Plus Nintendo and the smash team has a good track record in keeping their ear to the ground on what fans want. We were vocal about specific patch notes and in the last update we got them. Nintendo isn't some Magpie that just blindly follows the shiny thing, they get that happy fans = uber sales.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even then, Sakurai needed to be shown how Corrin could be a unique fighter.
Exactly. Purely promotional picks don't happen. They can be part of the reason of course. But never the whole thing.

Main point being it's very very rare characters have promotion as part of why they were added. I did forget to mention that bit(that you said), though.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the only thing of value to add from Minecraft would be stage building. Aside from that, would crafting things in battle really work? For a platformer, it's one thing, but a fighter is a different one.

There are plenty of iconic Minecraft items and creatures (spawn eggs) that can be used to form Steve's moveset without even going into building / crafting mechanics. You can say that Minecraft fans don't care about Steve as a character, but I imagine that the response would be entirely positive by fans and non-fans alike if he is given a moveset that is a homage to everything Minecraft (utilizing ideas like burning people in furnaces, wolf AI companions, and weapons like tridents).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are plenty of iconic Minecraft items and creatures (spawn eggs) that can be used to form Steve's moveset without even going into building / crafting mechanics. You can say that Minecraft fans don't care about Steve as a character, but I imagine that the response would be entirely positive by fans and non-fans alike if he is given a moveset that is a homage to everything Minecraft (utilizing ideas like burning people in furnaces, wolf AI companions, and weapons like tridents).
On the flipside, only a few spinoff books I've noticed are even about him, so clearly he's not the end-all, be-all of that universe.

Anyway, this is pointless, can we go back to speculating about what the GDC could have?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
At this point, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Rare should all be well aware of the support Banjo has received ever since the 90's. If they are able to collaborate and have a chance of bringing the bear and bird to Smash but decide against it, that would be a huge mistake in my book.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
At this point, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Rare should all be well aware of the support Banjo has received ever since the 90's. If they are able to collaborate and have a chance of bringing the bear and bird to Smash but decide against it, that would be a huge mistake in my book.
It would be 2019 super bowl half-time 2.0

Biggest missed opportunity of the century

BZocky

Smash Ace
It would be 2019 super bowl half-time 2.0

Biggest missed opportunity of the century
the only way they could achieve this level of disrespect is if they revealed Banjo-Kazooie coming to Switch in the same direct, preferably as the final announcement prior to the reveal trailer

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the end of the day, I just want to see whether any fears are completely unwarranted, because these arguments have become so tiresome that you might as well just use a MyPillow to hibernate for the next few months.

And I realise that I say this in a thread that's specifically about a bear.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
If K Rool’s anything to go by, putting Banjo in Smash would definitely make him relevant again.

Top Bottom