• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Another Square-Enix rep is definitely coming because of what Polar Panda's sources and other legit sources have said besides Vergeben. So perhaps it's Lora Croft, or maybe it's Elma from Xenoblade X.
Sorry I haven't been following all of Panda's statements. Does that mean we're looking at getting two characters from Square Enix, or are you just reaffirming that a Square character is coming?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That whole buyout was a huge mess. Looking back, I can see why Nintendo didn't buy Rare. They likely thought Rare would get purchased by a third party company. That way, Nintendo could still partner with them for DK and Banjo, and whoever bought them could fund the games Nintendo wanted nothing to do with.

I'm sure the last thing they imagined was new competitor emerging and buying up Rare at the last minute.

Here's an old interview that kind of backs up what I'm saying.

Emphasis on "we will always have a good relationship with Rare."
This interpretation of the entire situation kinda reminds me a bit of that Spongebob episode where Mr. Krabs lost him in a card game to Plankton, who proceeded to try and convince to make Krabby Patties for him.

Just because you're really good at making something for one company doesn't necessarily mean it'll carry over elsewhere if your hand is forced in a way you don't want.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sorry I haven't been following all of Panda's statements. Does that mean we're looking at getting two characters from Square Enix, or are you just reaffirming that a Square character is coming?
I still seriously doubt we will get two SE DLC reps. Unless SE was master negotiators when Sakurai wanted cloud back.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Hey, I'm back with more Conker nonsense to spread.

I may have made a similar post like this in the past, but I'm going to make this one anyway. I believe that the Banjo and Conker fans should be supporting each other as we move forward in Smash speculation. We both love Rare franchises with uncertain futures, and deserve to be rightfully reunited with Nintendo once more. If this was any other site, I would not be making this type of post. Countless times my opinions and ideas have been invalidated by Banjo fans on other sites just because everyone wants to view this as a popularity contest. Characters like Conker and the Battletoads aren't worth discussion because Banjo would be the only Rare character that would supposedly get in.

I'm not reaching out to you guys because I specifically want more attention at the Conker thread. I'm reaching out to you guys because you have the numbers to spread some love to all of the Rare characters. From our perspectives, Banjo is this big untouchable juggernaut and we're just left in the dust with the very few people actually willing to talk about someone other than Banjo. It just sucks, this whole survival of the fittest mentality we've applied to Smash speculation. Now more than ever, Rare franchises have a chance at a revival thanks to Nintendo's partnership with Microsoft. Getting into Smash would undoubtedly increase a franchise's chance at getting a revival. To me, I don't want just a Banjo-Threeie. I want all the Rare games to receive some love.

At the very least, I hope you guys will consider it. We're all fans of Rare, a company that hasn't had the best track record for the longest time. We shouldn't be creating divisions, we should all be working together. Just my two cents.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
This interpretation of the entire situation kinda reminds me a bit of that Spongebob episode where Mr. Krabs lost him in a card game to Plankton, who proceeded to try and convince to make Krabby Patties for him.

Just because you're really good at making something for one company doesn't necessarily mean it'll carry over elsewhere if your hand is forced in a way you don't want.
Ms: You see I always get what I want. And I want you to make me a banjo kazooie game!

Rare: Beep-beep-boop... Response: Why don't you ask me later

Ms: What?! WHAAAAAAAT?!?!

Rare: Get welded.

Ms: Wait! I command you to make me a banjo kazooie game!!!!

Rare: I don't wanna.

Ms: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
This'll be my last post and then I'll leave the ball in your guys' court, but all I'm saying is Microsoft and Nintendo are finally starting to work together. This is our window of opportunity to get our favorite Rare characters into Smash. Of course Banjo will always be on top, but that doesn't mean he's the only one who qualifies. Are we just gonna waste this opportunity on a "BANJO ONLY" mentality instead of trying for other Rare favorites? We don't know how long Nintendo and Microsoft will stay buddy-buddy.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It is kinda strange how they would only have Conker, Battletoad, and Banjo on their Christmas card when all they care about right now is Pirates. It either means something or Rare just REALLY likes milking that nostalgia but never doing anything with it.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I really hate the "Yooka failed" camp.

It sold a million copies and broke kickstarter records. That's already a success. Some people didn't like it, but the backers DID like it. It delivered the RETRO 3D platform experience it promised. They never promised to reinvent the wheel like some people were expecting. Was it flawed? yes. But it was a good game. It's nothing like Mighty No 9.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah, Yooka is underrated and I hope Steve Mayles gets the chance to direct Banjo-Threeie for the Switch and XBOX One

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Sakurai speaking to some Minecraft tubers and...

View attachment 194261

Could this mean anything?
If it meant anything, it's definitely "assist" related. Then again they could be joking. We will know sooner or later i guess.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I can't believe that Steve is an assist trophy.
Please oh please please let this happen! All the teasing they gave the Issacs, Genos and Waluigis. This would be better than a Mii costume or Spirit. I would totally call it that Steve would be better as an Assist.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Sakurai speaking to some Minecraft tubers and...

View attachment 194261

Could this mean anything?
I think the wording implies that the figure he uses helps assist him with the characters. He did a similar thing back in Brawl.

Source: Nintendo Power (the magazine)

Mr. Stagg

I think the wording implies that the figure he uses helps assist him with the characters. He did a similar thing back in Brawl.

Source: Nintendo Power (the magazine)
This is it. I still stand by my statement though. If we are to get more AT's, then Steve would work the best that way. We got Andross and Virtua Fighter man.
GDC-Scan-02.png

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, Steve makes more sense to me as an assist. His clunky model would personally look awful in Smash to me. (Again, it's my opinion. I know Sakurai is a miracle worker and could make it happen somehow, but even then, I just can't imagine ever liking how it'd look. It's just me.) However, as an assist, it'd make sense, especially with the Akira assist existing. I feel that just better represents that kind of thing rather than having Steve playable, and he would be able to use block-placing elements without it being OP and game-breaking (which, let's be real, that has potential to be very unbalanced for a playable character).

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Honestly, Steve makes more sense to me as an assist. His clunky model would personally look awful in Smash to me. (Again, it's my opinion. I know Sakurai is a miracle worker and could make it happen somehow, but even then, I just can't imagine ever liking how it'd look. It's just me.) However, as an assist, it'd make sense, especially with the Akira assist existing. I feel that just better represents that kind of thing rather than having Steve playable, and he would be able to use block-placing elements without it being OP and game-breaking (which, let's be real, that has potential to be very unbalanced for a playable character).
1. Pick Steve
2. Place blocks to extend the edge of the arena towards the side blast zones
3. Camp, wait, and bait your opponent to get near.
4. Back throw
5. ???????
6. Profit

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
1. Pick Steve
2. Place blocks to extend the edge of the arena towards the side blast zones
3. Camp, wait, and bait your opponent to get near.
4. Back throw
5. ???????
6. Profit
The block mechanic always seemed like this to me. It will either be useless or OP.

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
I feel like the block-placing element of Steve's kit is a bit over-exaggerated. A minimum of three blocks (wool colored in your player slot), and blocks like pistons, furnaces, beacons, shulkers, end chests for your throws / smash attacks / specials would be more than enough without being game-breaking. Not to mention, there would be loads of other Minecraft references and game elements like mob eggs, pet wolves (which is always there in the concept art alongside Steve), and other weapons. There's reasons to not like Steve, but moveset isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

I feel like the block-placing element of Steve's kit is a bit over-exaggerated. A minimum of three blocks (wool colored in your player slot), and blocks like pistons, furnaces, beacons, shulkers, end chests for your throws / smash attacks / specials would be more than enough without being game-breaking. Not to mention, there would be loads of other Minecraft references and game elements like mob eggs, pet wolves (which is always there in the concept art alongside Steve), and other weapons. There's reasons to not like Steve, but moveset isn't one of them.
I dont agree on that due to how the visuals and blocky designs clash and look compared to the rest of Smash's aesthetic. The problem still lies in Steve's limited animations and lack of inspirational features to use said tools. If this were to go down he would just turn into a Janky, ugly, villager clone.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
The blocks would fit completely fine in Smash's aesthetic, not sure what makes you think otherwise. And Steve himself would only need slight modifications to his body in order to do these kinds of motions. Take a look at the Minecraft Dungeons trailer if you haven't already. Even the base-game of Minecraft has already started incorporating those sorts of more complex motions for its player characters in swimming, and they look completely fine. Villager clone statement seems unfounded when none of what I said is shared with him.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I haven't caught up with the thread lately, who is this Jane character that people are talking about?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I haven't caught up with the thread lately, who is this Jane character that people are talking about?
A mystery character. While most people think that "Jane" is just a female alt for Joker, some think that "Jane" is actually an entirely separate character.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
A mystery character. While most people think that "Jane" is just a female alt for Joker, some think that "Jane" is actually an entirely separate character.
I see, so there was a new datamine leak?

Mr. Stagg

The blocks would fit completely fine in Smash's aesthetic, not sure what makes you think otherwise. And Steve himself would only need slight modifications to his body in order to do these kinds of motions. Take a look at the Minecraft Dungeons trailer if you haven't already. Even the base-game of Minecraft has already started incorporating those sorts of more complex motions for its player characters in swimming, and they look completely fine. Villager clone statement seems unfounded when none of what I said is shared with him.
You said it yourself that different blocks are to be used for different purposes. That is where my villager clone comparison comes from. That does not work because people wouldn't be able to tell what block does what. They all are textured in a pixel matter and that would be hard to see from how far the view is placed. Sure they look fine in Minecraft, story mode and dungeons, but not in Smash brothers. Add all the joints and ligaments you want, it still does not distract from how out of place he looks and animates.

This is why I push for Banjo-kazooie so hard. They have the articulation and aesthetics to fit in perfectly. Add the rocken music, memorable worlds, and charm of the characters and you make the perfect fighters pack.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You said it yourself that different blocks are to be used for different purposes. That is where my villager clone comparison comes from. That does not work because people wouldn't be able to tell what block does what. They all are textured in a pixel matter and that would be hard to see from how far the view is placed. Sure they look fine in Minecraft, story mode and dungeons, but not in Smash brothers. Add all the joints and ligaments you want, it still does not distract from how out of place he looks and animates.

This is why I push for Banjo-kazooie so hard. They have the articulation and aesthetics to fit in perfectly. Add the rocken music, memorable worlds, and charm of the characters and you make the perfect fighters pack.
+ the fact Banjo Kazooie has had a large and loud vocal majority since melee times, same as Ridley. Unlike Steve, who has only had a loud minority since vergeben spout the name, who btw hasn't even touched the name ever since, and no leaker has known DLC content whatsoever yet.

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet

You may have misunderstood. Not every block would be present on the stage all at once. Wool and TNT are distinct enough from each other to be placed on the stage via specials, while blocks like furnaces and shulkers would only ever be present in throw animations and would disappear afterwards. That said, it's obvious enough what the blocks are from the normal stage distance (even if they're pixels), and that's just solved by not putting too many similar blocks

And I don't see how adding new joints to fix animations would still make him look out of place? Of course I don't know whether Sakurai will care enough to do it (or even add Steve for that matter), but clearly that would fix the problems you were talking about.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yee. To keep it short, someone found a file for Jane next to Joker's 6th costume. Speculation has run wild after this.
Weirdly, there is no female version of Joker in any official material for Persona 5. It is possible that Persona 5 is ported to the Switch, with the Switch version adding a playable female character.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a female character from P5 will be an alt for Joker? I never played Persona 5 so I don't know if it's a possibility or not.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is believed that "Jane" Is likely a new feature of an upcoming Persona 5 updated rerelease, likely P5R. This is not the first time this has happened in Persona, as P3 got a FeMC in P3 Portable. The Joker FeMC appearing here is likely a case of early bird playable promotion, like Roy and Corrin previously.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
It is believed that "Jane" Is likely a new feature of an upcoming Persona 5 updated rerelease, likely P5R. This is not the first time this has happened in Persona, as P3 got a FeMC in P3 Portable. The Joker FeMC appearing here is likely a case of early bird playable promotion, like Roy and Corrin previously.
This, plus it would explain why Nintendo has been so weirdly secretive over Joker and still refuses to show us anything despite obviously being close to if not done already.

Also why they didn't show Joker's face in the last direct, they can't show Joker until the official reveal.

Heck, even Sakurai posted that the next reveal would have both character and stage revealed at once

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So it's obvious Joker is an unusual case here. I'm a believe in the Fem Joker theory

Last edited:
Top Bottom