• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
True. For Phil's sake, I hope Nintendo and sakurai are willing to play ball.
Considering that Nintendo has the ballot data and made Smash decisions based on that data, I would be surprised if they don't add them in.

The crappy thing is that it might not even be his fault. Despite his persistence, Nintendo or even sakurai might've found Steve to be a more profitable choice.
If you look at it from a business perspective, there are more Smash playing Switch owners hoping for Banjo-kazooie. Nintendo has shown that they keep their ears to the ground about what fans want. K.Rool, Ridley and Simon is proof of this. I wont doubt Minecraft's popularity and sales, but from a smash perspective, Banjo-kazooie would be more profitable. I know for a fact I will buy the whole pass and the inevitable Banjo-kazooie Amiibo. I doubt people are going to shell out for a Switch, Smash and DLC because of Steve.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Considering that Nintendo has the ballot data and made Smash decisions based on that data, I would be surprised if they don't add them in.

If you look at it from a business perspective, there are more Smash playing Switch owners hoping for Banjo-kazooie. Nintendo has shown that they keep their ears to the ground about what fans want. K.Rool, Ridley and Simon is proof of this. I wont doubt Minecraft's popularity and sales, but from a smash perspective, Banjo-kazooie would be more profitable. I know for a fact I will buy the whole pass and the inevitable Banjo-kazooie Amiibo. I doubt people are going to shell out for a Switch, Smash and DLC because of Steve.
Fair points. But do we know that the ballot is influencing dlc? It would make sense if it was, but sometimes Nintendo loves to not make sense. Im also worried that "sakurai bias" will kick in when it comes to banjo vs steve. Sakurai does like Minecraft after all

Last edited:
Fair points. But do we know that the ballot is influencing dlc? It would make sense if it was, but sometimes Nintendo loves to not make sense. Im also worried that "sakurai bias" will kick in when it comes to banjo vs steve. Sakurai does like Minecraft after all
I can imagine them using at least one more ballot character as DLC. Especially someone like Banjo who makes more sense from a business perspective as DLC

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Well said, Banjo-Kazooie caters and appeals to Nintendo's audience especially the older ones who have been playing Super Smash Bros since the N64 era (1999) and Melee during early Gamecube (2001) which was also when the Banjo-Kazooie (1998) franchise was in it's prime

Hardcore Smashers will likely shell out the cash for DLC fighters especially fan requested ones more likely than casuals who will likely be happy with just the base game or would be unaware of it especially kids.

Also keep note that while MC is popular, The Switch install base isn't as big as other consoles even PC or Mobile, People who play MC on other devices other than Switch probably don't even give a damn about Nintendo let alone Smash so even if MC gets DLC, I don't think people are gonna buy a Switch, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Extra Controllers, Online Subscription to play a $5 DLC guest character,

You know who gives a damn about Banjo-Kazooie? Nintendo fans and guess what ? They already own Switches and copies of Super Smash Bros Ultimate that are more than happy to pay an extra $5 to see the bear and bird return.

A big portion of the Super Smash Bros fanbase are hardcore Nintendo fans that play and care about most of Nintendo's 1st Party franchises which Banjo-Kazooie were pretty much a part of during the N64 era marketed along side Nintendo icons such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu, That's why there is such heavy demand for the them and you can see it in voting polls and most Youtube videos Top 5 or 10 list.

We can also all agree that if it wasn't for the "Buyout" They very likely would have already been on the roster by now.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Gamepass coming to Switch does sound exciting. I do hope they release the first two Banjo and Kazooie separately on the eshop though. And I do hope one day we can get a proper remake of the first two games as well akin to the Crash and Spyro remakes

Mr. Stagg

If that's the case then we should be happy that Nintendo made the Smash DLC list to bring to Sakurai. Considering Phil is being super cooperative, Nintendo would see it as a cheap, easy IP to use that would pay big dividends. Plus they can easily make a Steve Mii costume and sell it for cheap for the Minecraft people.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
This isn’t a rag on Minecraft, but Steve would work so much better as a mii swordfighter. Steve is kinda emotionless as is so the static head wear along with the body weilding a diamond sword would be cool. Plus, the custom move sets can tie in to how customizable Minecraft itself is.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If that's the case then we should be happy that Nintendo made the Smash DLC list to bring to Sakurai. Considering Phil is being super cooperative, Nintendo would see it as a cheap, easy IP to use that would pay big dividends. Plus they can easily make a Steve Mii costume and sell it for cheap for the Minecraft people.
Hopefully it was just banjo on that list

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmmm Phil Spencer did say that he went to lunch with Nintendo during e3, last year...…...

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Wonderful point is that even though Minecraft is more influential/iconic, Banjo would be way cheaper and more simplistic to negotiate for, with someone already advocating for his inclusion for years.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Phil Spencer: "We're a big third-party on their-"

I think he said something like that last year in an interview, when talking about Nintendo.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
This isn’t a rag on Minecraft, but Steve would work so much better as a mii swordfighter. Steve is kinda emotionless as is so the static head wear along with the body weilding a diamond sword would be cool. Plus, the custom move sets can tie in to how customizable Minecraft itself is.
Imagine if version 3.00 rolls out and reveals a Steve mii costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, a boxy fellow like him would be pretty tough to animate without having him look unnatural anyways. I mean, Andross is one thing, but...

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
Yeah right! Sakurai would never ignore the popular vote in favor of a character he "likes more", right?

*cries in dark pit*
*dies in incineroar*

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's too early to tell since we only have one of five characters but just considering Joker, well, his game was released almost a full year after the ballot ended so initial impressions would be no.

I wouldn't count Simon as a reason they are listening to fans. Also for the two fan picks in K Rool and Ridley they still added Inklings, Inceniroar, Piranha Plant, and Ken completely unrelated to popularity so that's 4 to 2 when it comes to listening to fans (not saying Inklings weren't wanted or didn't deserve to be here but Sakurai didn't even try to say they here based on popularity and we all knew they were getting in regardless).

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's insane how we've gone from wild speculation to rumors actually going around about MS and Nintendo talking and doing "something"..

Shouldn't this add some credibility to that indiegamerchick? I mean she was one of the first that in saw that actually said something about MS and Nintendo cooperating now it's all over the place from multiple sources.

I mean a few people have said Banjo is getting into Smash now as time goes by were getting more and more rumors popping up about this stuff. Not so much about Banjo in smash specifically but more so about just MS and Nintendo in general collaborating.. things are looking crazy right now.. here's the thing and call me crazy but..

If this is all real and MS is getting THIS close with Nintendo.. wouldn't it make more sense for MS to get two Characters in the DLC? I would totally see Banjo and Steve by virtue of what I would consider a historical partnership.... when your looking at companies like Capcom and Koonami who have multiple characters on the roster and then think about how big this crossover is MS getting two reps seem's unbelievably realistic to me...

It's too early to tell since we only have one of five characters but just considering Joker, well, his game was released almost a full year after the ballot ended so initial impressions would be no.

I wouldn't count Simon as a reason they are listening to fans. Also for the two fan picks in K Rool and Ridley they still added Inklings, Inceniroar, Piranha Plant, and Ken completely unrelated to popularity so that's 4 to 2 when it comes to listening to fans (not saying Inklings weren't wanted or didn't deserve to be here but Sakurai didn't even try to say they here based on popularity and we all knew they were getting in regardless).
Didn’t Sakurai literally say the Belmonts were added due to popularity from the ballot?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Didn’t Sakurai literally say the Belmonts were added due to popularity from the ballot?
He said that yes but he also called Bayonetta the ballot winner. I don't really think Simon got in due to being massively popular so much as Sakurai liked Simon being in Smash and already working with Konami. If anything his ballot placement was just a convenient extra.
Yeah. Simon was popular in America while Richter was popular in Japan if I recall. That's why we got both.
No, actually it was because he based a lot of Simon's moves on Richters so he decided to just add both.

Mr. Stagg

Sakurai himself said that he wanted Alucard, but went with Simon and Richter because of the fans and fan recognition. That's where I get that from. I believe the logic here stemmed from a mass of requests of Castlevania representation and that led to Simon and Richter.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Sakurai himself said that he wanted Alucard, but went with Simon and Richter because of the fans and fan recognition. That's where I get that from. I believe the logic here stemmed from a mass of requests of Castlevania representation and that led to Simon and Richter.
Actually, he said "A lot of players would probably be most familiar with Alucard, but fans would probably prefer one of the Belmonts—even though they’re unrelated to the later games in the series". And when talking about adding Castlevania content he says this "[Castlevania] was highly requested in the Smash Ballot, and when it came time to add new content Sakurai says his choices were limited."

Mr. Stagg

Actually, he said "A lot of players would probably be most familiar with Alucard, but fans would probably prefer one of the Belmonts—even though they’re unrelated to the later games in the series". And when talking about adding Castlevania content he says this "[Castlevania] was highly requested in the Smash Ballot, and when it came time to add new content Sakurai says his choices were limited."
Thanks for the quote.

That still shows ballot and fan influence. I doubt we would get the official data, but going off fan polls is a decent indication.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Thanks for the quote.

That still shows ballot and fan influence. I doubt we would get the official data, but going off fan polls is a decent indication.
Yeah, fan polls are a great indication which why I doubt Castlevania got into due to high placement but as Sakurai said being limited in choices for new content.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You guys... It's getting harder and harder for me to remain skeptical. This is all looking way too promising.

Even IF we don't get Banjo in Smash, this latest news about GamePass all but guarantees Rare Replay on Switch no? That alone is insanely hype!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Well Who is to say we get just 1 minecraft Mii costume ? we could get a few steve/alex (alex for female miis) Mii costumes in smash Ultimate Based off a few skins in minecraft as well as a mine craft stage after all Wii U smash bros had mii costume packs & stage packs alongside the character packs & sakurai already said we would get more/other DLC then just the character packs

So we could Get banjo kazooie as a fighter & a bunch of minecraft side content & who is to say master chief can't also be a fighter ? with M$ & nintendo really being buddy buddy we could actually get ALL 3 M$ Bois ! (ender dragon being there classic mode boss? if rumors are true) 2 being actual fighters the other being mii outfits this would make the most sense to me if M$ & nintendo struck a big deal PLUS N64 classic mini ?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Xbox Gamepass on the Nintendo Switch would be awesome and can only be a good thing if we can get Rare's legacy titles and possibly future games, Sometimes I debate if I should get an Xbox again (I did own one before mainly for Rare Replay and Killer Instinct) ,But with Gamepass on Switch I wouldn't have to worry about that.

But if I had to nitpick is that the only thing that sucks is that I would love a physical version of games like Rare Replay or a future BK game on switch to shelve right next to my other games ,But any capacity of Rareware on Nintendo Switch will make me happy.

I would love a modified version of Rare Replay on Switch that included Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures.

Dkl5vqQVsAAQZXY.jpg

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Feeling more optimistic about Banjo as time goes on.

Yeah, fan polls are a great indication which why I doubt Castlevania got into due to high placement but as Sakurai said being limited in choices for new content.
Sakurai also said he was looking to add a Konami character. Personally I think they wanted a new third party character in the base game because those are easy headliner characters, but only one with their company already in the game because of the already massive amount of companies already signed on, but that's just my conjecture. I could see Simon Belmont scoring higher than any other third party character with their company already in the game.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What really sucks for things looking likely for Banjo now is that it will be much more crushing when it doesn't happen.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Feeling more optimistic about Banjo as time goes on.

Sakurai also said he was looking to add a Konami character. Personally I think they wanted a new third party character in the base game because those are easy headliner characters, but only one with their company already in the game because of the already massive amount of companies already signed on, but that's just my conjecture. I could see Simon Belmont scoring higher than any other third party character with their company already in the game.
I wish their 2nd rep after Snake would have been Bomberman, I know he was originally Hudson Soft's creation and mascot and in recent years got absorbed into the Konami brand because of Hudson Soft going bankrupt ,But he also had a long history on Nintendo consoles and even Nintendo publishing some of his games, I personally don't care much for the Castlevania series and the Belmonts, So for me it sucked to see Bomberman revealed to be an Assist in the end.

Definitely got the biggest screw over out of all the Assist Trophys that got revealed.

Last edited:

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Should Banjo get in, I desperately cling to the possibility of them taking Ed Bryan's original Nuts & Bolts model and finishing it:

It would be so easy & a warm sentiment that Banjo's Smash appearance was designed by someone who worked on the original games.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think we should be skeptical that this means good things for Banjo, honestly.

The fact they're running head first in with Ori instead of Rare Replay concerns me that they don't see the value of Rare on Nintendo again. If that's the case then I doubt they care enough to add Banjo over craphead.

Mr. Stagg

It's hard to keep the faith. Take each day, bud. Eventually this'll end.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'll be remaining skeptical after getting burned thrice at E3, the last Smash Direct, and the VGAs last year. Until I see physical evidence (i.e. an official announcement) from Nintendo and Microsoft, I'm gonna remain hopeful but also cynical, just cuz they've screwed Banjo & Kazooie over one time too many for me to handle.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Well Who is to say we get just 1 minecraft Mii costume ? we could get a few steve/alex (alex for female miis) Mii costumes in smash Ultimate Based off a few skins in minecraft as well as a mine craft stage after all Wii U smash bros had mii costume packs & stage packs alongside the character packs & sakurai already said we would get more/other DLC then just the character packs

So we could Get banjo kazooie as a fighter & a bunch of minecraft side content & who is to say master chief can't also be a fighter ? with M$ & nintendo really being buddy buddy we could actually get ALL 3 M$ Bois ! (ender dragon being there classic mode boss? if rumors are true) 2 being actual fighters the other being mii outfits this would make the most sense to me if M$ & nintendo struck a big deal PLUS N64 classic mini ?

Top Bottom