• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did I miss something? When did Sakurai confirm this?
Confirm what?

I swear im not bashing so don't send the Hag 1 on me here.

Wouldn't Minecraft require a lot more money to use in Smash due to all the Merch and sales it accumulates? Not saying Big N does not have the money for it, but from a business sense it would stand to reason to use the older IP that is more requested than the popular IP that isn't as sought after for Smash bros.
You might be right, I don't know.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say there's a particularly fatal downside to choosing Banjo.
Fan demand trumps the relevancy argument, and Banjo's pretty popularly requested. Moveset potential is through the roof. They've actually originated on Nintendo consoles and would fit right in as far as character style/variety is concerned. And we know Microsoft/Phil Spencer is totally down to work with Nintendo if given the chance.

I'm gonna be Captain Obvious and say that I think the biggest concern for Banjo is what I call the "5 character slot syndrome."
Five DLC characters is both a lot and not a lot at the same time. There are a plethora of viable characters, and while no one here will argue that Banjo doesn't deserve one of those spots, I see it as very possible that Nintendo and/or Sakurai think there are 5 other characters that should get those spots before Banjo.

It's one of the reasons I'm really hoping for a second pass of DLC characters.
Yeah, I think the determining factors for a second pass are that 1) this pass sells like hotcakes and 2) that enough people ask loud and clear for another pass. Plus Sakurai did officially state that he wanted to do as much for this game as humanly possible, that would be tough to do if he limits himself to just the 5 (unless the fifth character is the most ridiculously elaborate one ever, or something).

Confirm what?
Lack of new PGs.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I swear im not bashing so don't send the Hag 1 on me here.

Wouldn't Minecraft require a lot more money to use in Smash due to all the Merch and sales it accumulates? Not saying Big N does not have the money for it, but from a business sense it would stand to reason to use the older IP that is more requested than the popular IP that isn't as sought after for Smash bros.
I don't see how you would be bashing. But yes I agree. With how much money Minecraft, and it's merch generates, it makes sense why Microsoft would ask for more royalties. I don't know much about copyright laws tho, so maybe that's not the case.

The only argument, that's against Banjo, I can think of is "B-but the casual audience won't know who he is!" Which is a flimsy imo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't see how you would be bashing. But yes I agree. With how much money Minecraft, and it's merch generates, it makes sense why Microsoft would ask for more royalties. I don't know much about copyright laws tho, so maybe that's not the case.

The only argument, that's against Banjo, I can think of is "B-but the casual audience won't know who he is!" Which is a flimsy imo.
Meanwhile, MC advertised Minecraft hardcore towards the kids, so basically they'd have to hope that the kids' parents are willing to pay for a single Minecraft character on a specific game and console. Which is a bit much. When Smash DLC characters are aimed at the Smash userbase and adult gamers.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Meanwhile, MC advertised Minecraft hardcore towards the kids, so basically they'd have to hope that the kids' parents are willing to pay for a single Minecraft character on a specific game and console. Which is a bit much.
Honesty even if people don't know who banjo is, they'll probably buy him anyway for the sake of having all the characters.

Violante

Smash Apprentice
People hardly bring up that during the ballot, proven to influence Ultimate's roster, not only did Phil Spencer endorse Banjo as a choice, but going on a the exact same time was the Banjo Spiritual Successor Kickstarter that was funded in two hours and made two million dollars. Just with the promise of making something close to Banjo-Kazooie.

That's a financial and fandom guarantee. No way in hell did that go unnoticed by the powers that be.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
People hardly bring up that during the ballot, proven to influence Ultimate's roster, not only did Phil Spencer endorse Banjo as a choice, but going on a the exact same time was the Banjo Spiritual Successor Kickstarter that was funded in two hours and made two million dollars. Just with the promise of making something close to Banjo-Kazooie.

That's a financial and fandom guarantee. No way in hell did that go unnoticed by the powers that be.
I always forget about the ballot. I'm sure banjo did well back then

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
What's this about Brave being built off of Duck Hunt I've been seeing on 4chan?
The theory is that Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt Duo caused issues with the game, so they were possibly linked to upcoming DLC characters. Like how Piranha was built from Bowser Jr, and Cloud from Ike, and Bayo from ZSS.

People now think Mii Swordfighter was used as a base for Joker, so DHD is likely a base for Banjo.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
The theory is that Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt Duo caused issues with the game, so they were possibly linked to upcoming DLC characters. Like how Piranha was built from Bowser Jr, and Cloud from Ike, and Bayo from ZSS.

People now think Mii Swordfighter was used as a base for Joker, so DHD is likely a base for Banjo.
Do we have proof Piranha was built off of Jr? What issues are Mii and DHD causing?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do we have proof Piranha was built off of Jr? What issues are Mii and DHD causing?
A dataminer found Bowser Jr. animation stuffs or some kind of files stored with Piranha Plant's files, and Mii Swordfighter and DHD both cause the same issue as Piranha Plant (at least with a faulty SD card): they crash All-Star mode, followed up by corrupting your save file.

however I did forget about the SD card thing; I wonder if it was just a coincidence and people only played All-Star with these characters...?

maybe it wasn't just that, though; I just recall GameXplain making a video about it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would also like to see the different egg types from Tooie in their moveset as well. It could work like Shulk's Monado Arts in where you can choose which egg type you want by pointing the control stick in that direction.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I never did ask to be put on the supporters list did I. If you don’t mind, I’d like to be added onto the list please. I’ve been a Banjo & Kazooie supporter ever since Smash 4.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I would also like to see the different egg types from Tooie in their moveset as well. It could work like Shulk's Monado Arts in where you can choose which egg type you want by pointing the control stick in that direction.
Yes. They could serve different purposes.

Blue egg are your standard projectile.

Fire does little knock back, but deals good percent damage.

Grenade are slow, but are great kill options.

Ice have a chance to freeze at higher percents.

And the little robot bird (forgot the name) can act like jrs down B.

Maybe put the special eggs on a cool down to avoid spamming.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Even though the game isn't as well known, Grunty's Revenge also had Battery Eggs as a thing as well, if they decided to give them those, that could be a cool stun option.

As for the second season fighter pass, I would love that to be a thing if Banjo & Kazooie don't get in for this one, obviously. I feel like if they didn't get in the fighter pass this season, I'd have no real reason to purchase it, other than to have a complete collection of characters, stages, and other things for it, which would really bum me out with Banjo & Kazooie in it. I feel like if they got in, I'd buy the whole package, no questions.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think the different egg types as Banjo & Kazooie's Neutral-B would make him probably top tier in the meta game which, would be even sweeter.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice

What would be a good way to swap between them though? I was thinking it could be holding sheild and special and then selecting them like Shulk’s Monado arts.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
What would be a good way to swap between them though? I was thinking it could be holding sheild and special and then selecting them like Shulk’s Monado arts.
I had the same idea.

I'm also forgetting the little rapid fire machine gun eggs. Fast, but deals little percentage and no flinching. Like Fox's blaster

Maybe the longer you hold the input the stronger option you end up with? Kinda like Pac-Man’s neutral special

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here what I think some of Banjo & Kazooie's moveset would look like:

Recovery: Shock Jump Pad.

Neutral-B: Egg types from Tooie in which you can switch out like Shulk's Monado Arts.

Down-Air: Beak Buster/Bill Drill. By instantly taping the control stick down, you activate the Beak Buster and holding down the control stick activates the Bill Drill.

Side Special: Banjo uses Kazooie like a rifle and she aims her beak towards you.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Honesty even if people don't know who banjo is, they'll probably buy him anyway for the sake of having all the characters.
While I'd like to agree with you, I'm also aware that people can be particular with what they buy, myself included. I love Smash to death but I never bought Bayonetta or Corrin as dlc last game. Fact is, some of us out there only buy the dlc we're excited for. Not all of us need to have every character, especially those of us who avoid online play. True, I will probably be getting Joker even though I've never played any of his games, but that's only due to having a pretty cool aesthetic and a few friends that know him well and convinced me of his potential move set. As it stands, I'm going to fully analyze each revealed character to decide whether or not I would want them. The only way and I mean ONLY way I buy the fighter pass would be to show my overwhelming support should they ever announce Banjo-Kazooie. Is that the best way for Nintendo to notice anything? Probably not but it's all I got lol. Anyway, the only reason I brought this up is because I've lost count of all the users out there who just assume everyone who loves Smash will buy anything they release. It's simply untrue.

ChrisNonyminus

Smash Rookie
Beak buster would work best as a d-air instead. Personally for the down-b, I'd like them to lay down/spawn a split-up pad that can be used for the split-up mechanic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While I'd like to agree with you, I'm also aware that people can be particular with what they buy, myself included. I love Smash to death but I never bought Bayonetta or Corrin as dlc last game. Fact is, some of us out there only buy the dlc we're excited for. Not all of us need to have every character, especially those of us who avoid online play. True, I will probably be getting Joker even though I've never played any of his games, but that's only due to having a pretty cool aesthetic and a few friends that know him well and convinced me of his potential move set. As it stands, I'm going to fully analyze each revealed character to decide whether or not I would want them. The only way and I mean ONLY way I buy the fighter pass would be to show my overwhelming support should they ever announce Banjo-Kazooie. Is that the best way for Nintendo to notice anything? Probably not but it's all I got lol. Anyway, the only reason I brought this up is because I've lost count of all the users out there who just assume everyone who loves Smash will buy anything they release. It's simply untrue.
Not everyone buys everything, but none of the characters will have trouble selling.

There are enough fans of the characters and/or ravenous Smash players that Nintendo will have no problem turning profit hand over fist here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not everyone buys everything, but none of the characters will have trouble selling.

There are enough fans of the characters and/or ravenous Smash players that Nintendo will have no problem turning profit hand over fist here.
This sounds like a crazy question, but do you think Nintendo would make a bigger profit off of something like the top 10 most wanted characters on Smashboards for the hardcore fans over promotional picks for the causal crowd?

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like a crazy question, but do you think Nintendo would make a bigger profit off of something like the top 10 wanted characters on Smashboards for the hardcore fans over promotional picks for the causal crowd?
I don't see why they wouldn't. Of course, I'm not entirely sure how one would market to the casual crowd to begin with.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't see why they wouldn't. Of course, I'm not entirely sure how one would market to the casual crowd to begin with.
As for the causal fans reaction towards the highly requested online hardcore characters, I think they would welcome Banjo & Kazooie with open arms, same can be said for Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, and Shantae. I'm not too sure what they would think of Geno and Isaac though because of their obscurity outside of devoted fanbases.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
This sounds like a crazy question, but do you think Nintendo would make a bigger profit off of something like the top 10 most wanted characters on Smashboards for the hardcore fans over promotional picks for the causal crowd?
I say stick to your audience. Dlc is more catered more toward smash fans. If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If I was Sakurai or the CEO of Nintendo of Japan, that's how I would run the DLC.
Choosing a persona rep does give me hope. Persona 5 isn't something I'd call mainstream.

If they really wanted to cater to casuals we would of seen COD soldier, default fornite skin, Steve and Freddy fazbear.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing is most of Smashboards will buy both options. Whereas if you include a character like Geno or Isaac, they'll have limited mass appeal. They'll still sell well by virtue of being a Smash character, but people gravitate towards what they know - so a more widely prolific character would probably perform better.

That's why I bet you'll keep seeing Nintendo opt for including the big names (whether they've promotional value or not) more frequently than a promo or fanbase pick. In effect, I think we'll get more Clouds and Ryus over Bayos and Corrins.

I say stick to your audience. Dlc is more catered more toward smash fans. If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.
If people will defend the inclusion of Piranha Plant, it's impossible to "please no one".

Top Bottom