• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Things have slowed down in here, and that might be for the better, but I'd like to get the ball rolling again.

I'm curious, what BK/BT worlds do you all find the easiest/hardest to 100%?

I recently replayed BK to 100% completion and Mad Monster Mansion was surprisingly easy and quick to finish. Rusty Bucket Bay was easily the hardest for me, though, even harder than Click Clock Wood. I didn't know there were windows on the boat you could break into for the longest time...

For BT, I find Witchyworld to be easier than the other worlds on average. That's relatively speaking, as to me all BT worlds take lot of effort to 100%. But I definitely find Grunty Industries to be the hardest world. It's just very tedious to get everything.
Easiest for me was Freezezy Peak and Mad Monster Mansion. But **** Rusty Bucket

D

Deleted member

This is so depressing

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Also yay Direct! Hoping for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Joker footage plus new character announcement (Hoping it's Banjo but expecting someone like Erdrick or Sora). Though if it was Erdrick I might be a little annoyed cause it would give Vergeben and all his supporters more ammunition towards Vergeben being the savior of leaks (Even though he's like 99% wrong when it comes to DLC leaks.)

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This is so depressing
With reboots becoming popular with Crash and Spyro. Now might be a good time for this return.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm just hoping we get footage or something of the new Pokemon game allegedly coming out this year. Very excited to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves!

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
This is so depressing
This is false. Nuts & Bolts was never Banjo Threeie, it was always Nuts & Bolts from the start.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
"New details on Fire Emblem: Three Houses" exspecting a new fire emblem protag announcement for smash LOL

LogFrog LogFrog not true it was banjo X & banjo Kazoomie as well as a banjo kazooie remake & banjo threeie whitch where all cancled followed by N&B with they admitted to just slapping banjo onto

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This is so depressing
The only news there is it being a response to SMG. It was already well established that the game had been an even more open Tooie in at least its level design before those levels had most of their content scrapped to become N&B's overworlds.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
"New details on Fire Emblem: Three Houses" exspecting a new fire emblem protag announcement for smash LOL

LogFrog LogFrog not true it was banjo X & banjo Kazoomie as well as a banjo kazooie remake & banjo threeie whitch where all cancled followed by N&B with they admitted to just slapping banjo onto
Actually, in the dev interviews locked away within Rare Replay (and scattered about YouTube) the alleged Banjo-Kazoomie was an entirelt different game called Fast and the Furriest. Nuts & Bolts spawned off of an HD remake of the original B-K that slowly turned into N&B when they tried to make the worlds bigger and give the player some sort of extra transportation around the worlds. Then, in a 4chan post (I'll edit the link in here shortly) that was supposedly a Rare dev (with timestamps and official evidence, apparently) ot was said that MS shot down the full remake of B-K and pushed for something different because (as was just said) the era of platformers seemed to have past.

Edit: Link to the an image of the discussion: https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1336805-banjo-kazooie

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
IIRC the driving elements in N&B were the final form of the animal riding in the scrapped Donkey Kong Racing and later the scrapped Sabreman game. It was, like many of Rare's projects, a mishmash of ideas and assets almost unrecognisable by its completion. Just, unlike most, not one that hit the right buttons.

D

Deleted member

So what indie gamer chick said last week do you think she knows this direct that was happening next week?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Actually, in the dev interviews locked away within Rare Replay (and scattered about YouTube) the alleged Banjo-Kazoomie was an entirelt different game called Fast and the Furriest. Nuts & Bolts spawned off of an HD remake of the original B-K that slowly turned into N&B when they tried to make the worlds bigger and give the player some sort of extra transportation around the worlds. Then, in a 4chan post (I'll edit the link in here shortly) that was supposedly a Rare dev (with timestamps and official evidence, apparently) ot was said that MS shot down the full remake of B-K and pushed for something different because (as was just said) the era of platformers seemed to have past.
That would mean that LoG breaking into a seemingly normal (if pisstake) BK game was a direct offshoot of the originally planned BK remake's active Gruntilda coming in to disrupt play after a level or two.

And also that Microsoft knew nothing, if they thought that SMG's success was the end of 3D platformers. SMG may have had an assortment of weird gimmicks but it was very much a Mario platformer from start to finish.
If anything, it showed that platformers had room for innovation.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
That would mean that LoG breaking into a seemingly normal (if pisstake) BK game was a direct offshoot of the originally planned BK remake's active Gruntilda coming in to disrupt play after a level or two.

And also that Microsoft knew nothing, if they thought that SMG's success was the end of 3D platformers. SMG may have had an assortment of weird gimmicks but it was very much a Mario platformer from start to finish.
If anything, it showed that platformers had room for innovation.
Exactly. Now, on the other hand, Yooka-Laylee proved that while classic platformers still hold some charm, collectathons the likes of DK64, Banjo-Tooie, and Yooka-Laylee itself can't hold up in an instant-satisfaction-seeking community. What makes SMOdyssey so great is that you can pick it up, grab a moon, and set it down again.

So as you said, platformers certainly have room for innovation, but they NEED that innovation.

So what indie gamer chick said last week do you think she knows this direct that was happening next week?
She kept saying “upcoming announcements” that could be announced “any time now” so it’s very possible they could announce the N64 classic tomorrow. Assuming her info is correct

Last edited:

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
I just had a crazy dream guys, in my dream it was E3 and there was a new Mario & Luigi game announced. In that Mario & Luigi game announcement Banjo & Kazooie were joining Mario & Luigi on the quest kind of like Paper Mario joining Mario & Luigi in Paper Jam. In the dream I was freaking out and I was hyped. Then at the end of the E3 direct Banjo & Kazooie were announced for Smash. God then I woke up and I was like crap it was a dream.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Zipzter Zipzter the moons in mario oddessy are kinda bad there are to many of them & A LOT of them are to easy to get & yooka laylee failed B/C they maneged the collectables very badly in bad placements in HUGE EMPTY WORLDS

Where as in B/K most collectables were to get more jiggys & had contects to the world like going on a mission (like finding 3 Xmass presents for a jiggy)
& the rest of the collectables where just stocking up ammo of eggs or fethers for banjo's moves witch where used like mario's coins to help guid the player through the worlds & since the collectables are always needed they would always respawn to help you always find your way around

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
I do think a new character reveal might happen tomorrow because in the datamine it seemed that "Brave" and Joker are in the same state as they both have stats. Maybe Sakurai could've been working on both of them? Kind of like Ryu and Lucas were just dropped on the same day. In case "Brave" gets announced tomorrow, let's give our final predictions of who we actually think it is. For me I think it's between Erdrick and Banjo. I know many are saying Banjo isn't likely to be "Brave" but the duck hunt theory and that slide and jump make me really believe that it could be Banjo. But that could just be my Banjo bias. A safe bet is Erdrick as well in order to not get overhyped and set myself up for disappointment. For the final damn time I'm sure you guys are sick of being asked this question at this point but who do you really think Brave could be?

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I just had a crazy dream guys, in my dream it was E3 and there was a new Mario & Luigi game announced. In that Mario & Luigi game announcement Banjo & Kazooie were joining Mario & Luigi on the quest kind of like Paper Mario joining Mario & Luigi in Paper Jam. In the dream I was freaking out and I was hyped. Then at the end of the E3 direct Banjo & Kazooie were announced for Smash. God then I woke up and I was like crap it was a dream.
Haha! Your dream might be very slight forshadowing, seeing as Alphadream is working with Switch hardware now that Bowser's Inside Story has released.

D

Deleted member

I do think a new character reveal might happen tomorrow because in the datamine it seemed that "Brave" and Joker are in the same state as they both have stats. Maybe Sakurai could've been working on both of them? Kind of like Ryu and Lucas were just dropped on the same day. In case "Brave" gets announced tomorrow, let's give our final predictions of who we actually think it is. For me I think it's between Erdrick and Banjo. I know many are saying Banjo isn't likely to be "Brave" but the duck hunt theory and that slide and jump make me really believe that it could be Banjo. But that could just be my Banjo bias. A safe bet is Erdrick as well in order to not get overhyped and set myself up for disappointment. For the final damn time I'm sure you guys are sick of being asked this question at this point but who do you really think Brave could be?
Still believe it’s banjo

Btw is erdrick floaty and has air attacks? I don’t play dq

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yooka-Laylee did lots of tiny things very wrong. Things like unskippable fly overs for many of its platforming challenges that would have been fine on the N64 but that people just don't have the patience for anymore.

So much of the game seemed like a relic of 90s game design and I strongly suspect that a similar problem was the cause of the poorly handled large maps. Old Rare made open world to the best of their ability but the constraints that they worked within were very different. I don't think they understood modern design at all when making Yooka-Laylee and that includes how to adequately scale things up to modern sizes.

I don't know if Yooka-Laylee's poor reception can really be chocked up to lack of innovation when it didn't so much stagnate the genre as go backwards.

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Yooka-Laylee did lots of tiny things very wrong. Things like unskippable fly overs for many of its platforming challenges that would have been fine on the N64 but that people just don't have the patience for anymore.

So much of the game seemed like a relic of 90s game design and I strongly suspect that a similar problem was the cause of the poorly handled large maps. Old Rare made open world to the best of their ability but the constraints that they worked within were very different. I don't think they understood modern design at all when making Yooka-Laylee and that includes how to adequately scale things up to modern sizes.

I don't know if Yooka-Laylee's poor reception can really be chocked up to lack of innovation when it didn't so much stagnate the genre as go backwards.
Very true, very true.

I'd like to point out that Odyssey also has some dauntingly huge levels, like the Sand Kingdom and Bowser's Kingdom, but the difference here is that they have waypoints that you're supposed to go after, but you can do stuff along the way, or ignore the goals entirely. Yooka was just open world, and I often find myself lost in the massive levels with no way if knowing where I'm supposed ti go next.

Edit: A quick example of this was the swamp level. My first time through, I had no idea what the limits if the level even were, and ambled about pointlessly before leaving, expanding the world, and finding some empty places I had visited were now only a little less empty.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Very true, very true.

I'd like to point out that Odyssey also has some dauntingly huge levels, like the Sand Kingdom and Bowser's Kingdom, but the difference here is that they have waypoints that you're supposed to go after, but you can do stuff along the way, or ignore the goals entirely. Yooka was just open world, and I often find myself lost in the massive levels with no way if knowing where I'm supposed ti go next.
Mario Odyssey had way too many moons too readily available in the early levels. Some of them were litterally 3 steps from the main path out in the open. That cheapened the experience a great deal and made some of the bigger tasks feel unrewarding.

It was, however, vastly superior to the sparceness that Yooka-Laylee opted for. Mario Odyssey was still a great game. Especially in the later levels.

And there's no excuse for lacking waypoints when even Banjo Tooie had them.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Mario Odyssey had way too many moons too readily available in the early levels. Some of them were litterally 3 steps from the main path out in the open. That cheapened the experience a great deal and made some of the bigger tasks feel unrewarding.

It was, however, vastly superior to the sparceness that Yooka-Laylee opted for. Mario Odyssey was still a great game. Especially in the later levels.

And there's no excuse for lacking waypoints when even Banjo Tooie had them.
Most notably, racing up to Chilly Billy/Chilly Willy before they blew you to pieces.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Agreed. But if Sora makes it into Smash and the techno intro version of Simple and Clean isn't apart of his Fighter's Pass then I'll riot.
The one from 2.8? If so we have very different ideas about which version needs to be in Smash.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to put too much stock in IndieGamerGirl but if they announce a N64 classic tomorrow I'm gonna go balistic

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This is false. Nuts & Bolts was never Banjo Threeie, it was always Nuts & Bolts from the start.
Actually it evolved from one of three concepts they initially had about a new Banjo game. The vehicle part came about as a result of the abandoned concept for a racing game where you would build your own vehicles and race them, and realising that the worlds were becoming far too large to traverse by foot that they had created for Banjo 3.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I found the Pagies in Yooka Laylee much more satisfying than the Moons in Odyssey which were either randomly placed with no effort or they were needlessly repetitive to get. Odyssey has a better campaign, is much more polished, and some of the post-game content is good, but damn did it feel like they pulled the rug out from under me. Odyssey is both one of the best games ever, but also one of the worst collectathons I've ever played. And yes, I've played DK64.

Despite its problems, I think I prefer Yooka Laylee in the long run. Yeah, the quizzes, Rextro, and Kartos suck, and the way the quills were handled is less than ideal, but most of the Pagies had variety. Not all of them were good, but not all of them were bad either. It was somewhat consistent. I'm also very weird and find that getting lost is part of the fun and rewarding. It's the reason why I like the original Metroid. Maps, while helpful, are also boring. I also never found the worlds to be much of a chore to explore considering how fast YL are while rolling. I highly recommend watching these commentary videos from Playtonic as they give insight into the development of Yooka Laylee where they talk about their mistakes and what they can fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOdgdf6Cjc

Top Bottom