• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...You guys do realize that we still have four unrevealed characters left, right? Just because Banjo-Kazooie weren't the first character revealed doesn't automatically mean they aren't in at all.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
Third party representation is great for Banjo, but with the first DLC character being a non-Nintendo character who hasn't even been on a Nintendo console, I'm worried that Sakurai is just gonna drop all these weird characyers on us.
I also fear this.

If anything it makes banjo seem more likely kind of. for the majority of fans would be a "OH MAN I REMEMBER THEM" or something like that.

Makes me also hope more for DoomSlayer. Reggie said the characters would be "Surprising" so sakurai may be pulling the weirdest ones he can.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I still think it's going to be three 3rd party at most, but hey, who knows. I personally want more characters in the 3rd party realm like Banjo, Chocobo, Spyro, Sora, etc, so I'm cool if it was all 3rd party. That said, Smash is a Nintendo game so I would hope they'd have at least a couple first party.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
Welp, 4 left, so probably like 3 months until the next one is announced.

Also did any leaks tip off joker? I'm really curious if someone got that right and was completely ignored due to how random it is.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, in more definitively positive news, Smash Ultimate has officially launched! Repeat, Smash Ultimate has officially launched! And I will be picking it up later today!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well, in more definitively positive news, Smash Ultimate has officially launched! Repeat, Smash Ultimate has officially launched! And I will be picking it up later today!
...aaannnddd that’s my queue to run from Smashboards for a bit. Avoid spoilers ya see.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
Someone on reddit compiled "Most wanted character" polls for smash ultimate

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9ejfq2/i_compiled_a_bunch_of_smash_bros_ultimate_polls/

it has the top 250 most WANTED characters.

Joker was 230

even better piranha plant was 245

WE GETTING NOCTIS, SLIME (dragon quest), EARTHWORM JIM, AND ZITZ(Battletoads) NEXT BOIS

Honestly I'd be super impressed with earthworm jim. Then I could finally play out my Samus, Falcon, and Jim buddy bounty hunter space cop movie.

Last edited:

Khandoit

Smash Cadet

Also if that is accurate, then I'd expect the 5 announcements to be

3rd party
1st party
3rd party
1st party
3rd party

So If true, banjo wouldn't be announced till atleast june of next year. Sylux would be announce when ever Metroid Prime 4 gets more info or released. And even then, he is a bigger deal than another square rep, which would probably make him the last one.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
You know, I may not know much about Persona, but I am under the impression that it's a fairly popular series, so honestly, outside of the whole "main game not being on a Nintendo platform", Joker's inclusion doesn't seem that bad to me, especially since Cloud was technically under similar circumstances when he was first revealed.

Also, after some thought, I'm rather curious on a few things: how will Joker play like? What's the stage going to be like? And what kind of music is going to be included? I'm rather interested, so I guess it's time to start doing research (at least, on Persona 5).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Banjo is coming I can feel it! I won't quit until the last DLC fighter... that being said I could care less about Joker...

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
If joker is a sign of things to come than holy... We might actually get Banjo... Or doom Slayer! Someone hold me!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I also fear this.

If anything it makes banjo seem more likely kind of. for the majority of fans would be a "OH MAN I REMEMBER THEM" or something like that.

Makes me also hope more for DoomSlayer. Reggie said the characters would be "Surprising" so sakurai may be pulling the weirdest ones he can.
About Doom, there was that interview with Sakurai name-dropping John Carmack, the father of FPSs. And Bethesda has been acting a little weird about question's pertaining to Smash. I know Doom Guy would make me hype as Hell.

With Joker, I'm okay with his inclusion. I would vastly prefer Jack Frost or anybody from Shin Megami Tensei, honestly. Maybe SMT could still be represented with Jack Frost playable?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Banjo is coming I can feel it! I won't quit until the last DLC fighter... that being said I could care less about Joker...
At the very least, I agree that I'm not giving up hope until the remaining four characters are revealed and none of them are Banjo-Kazooie. That being said, I'm going to reserve judgment on Joker until A. I see some actual gameplay with him and see what he can do, and B. I do some research on him and his game.

D

Deleted member

Guys xenother didn’t leak the joker

I don’t think I should trust leakers anymore

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
I just woke up from the night Smash got released, in which I totally didn't wake up 3 times too early out of hype. I just read the "log" here for the Game Awards, and it was quite a ride it seems. Once again many got a bit overexcited (but I can't blame you), and as a result, let down again. Now what did I tell you about hyping responsibly? *waves stick*

I'm glad the character we got wasn't a ****ty one like (insert your least wanted here). And there's still 4 spots left. Also remember that Nintendo picked this one, and it shows that they have good taste, will pick 3rd parties, and aren't just promoting themselves.

Anyway, why am I not playing Smash yet?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Reggie said these DLC characters are all from new franchises did he? If so then I think it raises Banjo & Kazooies chances a bit I think.

I get the feeling they're all going to be third party characters.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So Phil Spencer stating he wants to do a Gamers Pass to other consoles is a very good sign imo. Hopefully it'll shut those "why would Nintendo allow Microsoft to promote their games in Smash?" comments.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
1 slot down, 4 Roster slots to go.

Luckily my expectations were low so I'm not too surprised, But still disappointed by the character reveal, I'm aware of the Persona series, But I have never played them and have no history or connection with the franchise so this reveal does nothing for me.

My biggest fear with this reveal is that every 3rd Party Character so far in Smash history is from a Japanese company and that Nintendo and Sakurai are going to keep it that way and have eastern bias over the west.

What a crappy way to end Banjo-Kazooie's 20th Anniversary this year, I'm still hopeful ,But it sucks that we are going to have to wait longer to find out if the duo made it in or not, I imagine the characters are going to be spaced out every 2-3 months so the wait will be torture once again, But I'm still not giving up.

Side note: Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled was my highlight of the show and great to see the franchise on much sturdier ground now after the success of the N.Sane Trilogy.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
A lot of my friends are Persona geeka, but Joker doesnt sell me on the fighter pass at all. Couldve been worse Cmon, Banjo and cmon, Doomguy!
Doom guy would be interesting addition to Smash, But I feel like he would make so much more sense, fit in and be much more at home in Mortal Kombat 11.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
To me, Doom Guy just feels aesthetically wrong. *shrug*. I'm interested in Joker but never played a Persona game before. He looks pretty neat though as a character.

Honestly I'm feeling Banjo's chances are at least decent!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Lame DLC choice, but the general thread is eating it up because it is a random Japanese character that the young pups like

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Man, I'm seeing some comments here disappointed in the Joker reveal and here I am thinking how awesome it would be for Banjo to duke it against Joker.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
To be fair, I also did not care for Cloud or Snake. Call me old fashioned but I like when they have a little more to do with Nintendo.

Happy for the fans of course

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Welp it was Banjo's 20th anniversary year on the day of his japan anniversary release a day B4 Smash Ultimate came out during an award show & we get Joke a mostly new character from a new game of a well known series but not on nintendo ecept for one dancing game on 3DS kinda like cloud only with out being a well known iconic character over banjo kazooie a beloved fourmer Nintendo allstar who was VERY HIGH on the ballot REALLY?

HOW MANY TIMES CAN THE "STARS ALINE" for it to not happen ? we get a bit of mertch & sea of boar shilling ?

face it if banjo wasn't annouced by now under these surcomstances IT ISNT GUNA HAPPEN !

OH but rare spirits in the code ? yeah mybe the deal fell threw ?

remember nintendo picked this character who was mostly a PS only game I think ? & a newer game & new character CLEARLY going to get more persona games on switch/3DS now I say this is a permotinal character like this dude over Isaac ? come on !

oh well congrats joker fans

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I guess if you pick a match between Snake (Playstation Icon), Cloud (Playstation Icon), Joker (Playstation exclusive) & Ryu (Street Fight 5 is Playstation exclusive.) you could pretend it's Playstation Allstars 2.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
face it if banjo wasn't annouced by now under these surcomstances IT ISNT GUNA HAPPEN !
...Dude, we still have four more unrevealed characters; Banjo-Kazooie's chances are still pretty damn good. Heck, I'd even say that if Nintendo's willing to lead off with a character like Joker, then that only makes their chances even better.

I guess my point is, you need to calm down and wait until the remaining characters are revealed before you make a claim like that.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
...Dude, we still have four more unrevealed characters; Banjo-Kazooie's chances are still pretty damn good. Heck, I'd even say that if Nintendo's willing to lead off with a character like Joker, then that only makes their chances even better.

I guess my point is, you need to calm down and wait until the remaining characters are revealed before you make a claim like that.
Exactly, We are still in this thing , How many times have we seen some overdramatic fans in this thread go "If Banjo-Kazooie isn't revealed at this event I am leaving this fan thread and never coming back and I really mean it this time !!!" Saying things such as "It's over, Good bye, It's never gonna happen, only to turn tail and return like nothing happen. It's really annoying.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
The funny thing is, I've never played a Persona game, let alone Persona 5, but I'm kind of excited by this reveal for a few reasons:

- I happen to like Joker's character design.
- Nintendo chose this character, defying the fans' bemoaning that they'd only choose "shill" characters.
- It was something no one saw coming, even the leakers that everyone puts on a pedestal (or if they did, it was far too late for any of us to know).
- I've admittedly been disappointed by Ultimate's base newcomer selection to the point that a reveal that doesn't disappoint me is an actively good reveal.

I was honestly going into the TGA expecting the worst; something like a DQ rep, which I'd care far less for, and which would immediately confirm most of the popular leakers' info, leading to enforced bandwagoning on everything they say.

If Nintendo as a company is willing to choose Joker as a DLC fighter... if spirit data related to Rare-owned IPs are still in Ultimate's game files after the day one patch... if Microsoft is willing to put Xbox Game Pass on the Switch, furthering their already buddy-buddy relationship with Nintendo... then Banjo-Kazooie have a chance. And this is coming from someone who generally thinks Banjo's chances are lower than most people here think.

...Well, anyway, the game's out now, so have fun with Ultimate, everyone! I'll probably be ducking out just to play the game for a while myself.

Last edited:

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Not at all interested in the Joker, cause it's not Batman's Joker. Jack Frost would have been a better rep for Atlus. I expect Banjo to be separate from the fighter pack because he must have been negotiated really late.
I'm starting to believe that Sony didn't negotiate hard enough for Cloud, seeing how reluctant Square Enix was to include any ip in Smash Bros.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Well I didn't expect anything, and I certainly didn't expect that. I love Persona 5, the music is A++, the stage hazards can be full of personas. Its perfect, makes complete sense to me, and Reggies words after that reveal gave me alot of hopes insisting that they're all "characters you've never seen before, you wouldn't expect and are must haves". I'm sure they all won't be third party but still, another pick like Joker is even more insane than Cloud if you think about the historical context with Nintendo, its quite insane really. It just breaks even more contrived rules, the "rules" don't even matter anymore.

Its just whoever they can get, they'll put in. Does nothing to alter Banjos chances in my eyes, in fact it brings down this perceived barrier to entry the fans have created down even further, which in my eyes was demolished when K.Rool got revealed and debunked any argument that claimed 'relevancy' was a factor.

I think this is great for Smash, great for us, and I'm excited to see the other 4.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Banjo is somebody whose chances just rocketed up after Joker. At least two of my most wanted benefit, even if my very most is all but disconfirmed.

Top Bottom