• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Is the leak people are talking about the Joker, Erdrick, Steve, Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Guy one? I think it sounds believable and I wouldn't be too opposed to it, but Doom Guy seems a bit out of place and too much like a violent Samus. And Ryu / Erdrick as two sword wielders seems a little bummer, but if Sakurai made them all play different, I'm cool with that as well.

Personally I don't believe it, but it's somewhat realistic at least?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I hope that leak's not real, because honestly, while Sakurai could probably make them interesting, overall that looks like a very underwhelming DLC roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fairly sure that one isn't real, has there been a real leak with this much in-depth info?

Usually to be real it has to have a simple character name, no details, no puzzles, no blurry pictures, just matter of fact and straightforward.

So until proof of the contrary, I'll assume Joker and Eddy are the first two pass picks.

Last edited:

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I found the leak and there's nothing that makes the leak anymore credible than the leak that had Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Sylux, and Porky. So yeah nothing worth putting stock into yet. Surprising everyone forgot they leak though.
I find the new leak of characters more plausible imo. Sylux and Porky dont seem like hype enough characters for casuals.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
While I don't love any of the characters specifically, they all represent quite different things and have pretty large fan bases.

Joker might be the most obscure simply because he's the newest, but he represents a newer character in a franchise that's been sort of a niche yet well received series.

Erdrick represents Dragon Quest, a series that has huge roots in Japan, and quite honestly I thought there would be Dragon Quest in Smash as soon as third party guests were a thing.

Ryu Hayabusa is a throwback character and has been in a handful of games spanning various genres.

Steve, as much as people on this board are against him, is part of an absolutely massive franchise. Maybe he's not recognizable on his own, but I'm sure they could give him 8 different sets of clothing from the series.

Doom Guy represents first person shooting games. I'm honesty most thrown off by this and he's the main reason I'm not sure I buy into this, but Doom is a long running franchise.

I don't really see anything wrong with the list and there are some incredibly recognizable names here, and while they might not be Banjo, I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with this set. But again, I'm not really believing it on account of there not really being a reason to. I do think Dragon Quest Hero is going to be one of them though.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
The thing is someone out there does know the full list of DLC so yes there can be credible leaks with the full DLC details. That's not the issue. The issue is 200% of all leaks are full of crap so it's likely to be fake just based on averages.
And that someone is Sakurai. I highly doubt there are many people, even among the developers that know all of the DLC characters. Nintendo is being more protective of their plans and I'm sure the DLC cycle will be the same as the main development cycle where no one person could confirm everything.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
And that someone is Sakurai. I highly doubt there are many people, even among the developers that know all of the DLC characters. Nintendo is being more protective of their plans and I'm sure the DLC cycle will be the same as the main development cycle where no one person could confirm everything.
Well, that's highly unlikely. First, there would definitely be higher-ups who know who is in the game. Especially since they were involved with who was picked to the game and because they would need to know for the legal side of acquiring most of these characters. Not to mention the team working with Sakurai is likely to know. And while I'm sure most are keeping quite it takes one person to talk to a friend or loved one without the same loyalty to say something and it's known everywhere. It's extremely hard to keep something from slipping before release. Now is it likely that's everything's been leaked? Not really. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I've got some big Grinch flashbacks here. A lot of gaming jurnos and youtubers are covering this like it's legit, only in this case it has even less "evidence" to back it up. The grinch leak had a whole photo and circumstances to make it look legit where all we have in this one is the word "Brave". That can honestly mean anything at this point. Get your lol reaction macros ready in case this turns out to be fake. It could be real, but it could be anything.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've got some big Grinch flashbacks here. A lot of gaming jurnos and youtubers are covering this like it's legit, only in this case it has even less "evidence" to back it up. The grinch leak had a whole photo and circumstances to make it look legit where all we have in this one is the word "Brave". That can honestly mean anything at this point. Get your lol reaction macros ready in case this turns out to be fake. It could be real, but it could be anything.
The "brave" thing is character data in the game, so while it could be something other than DQ or whatever, the data itself is real regardless.

The actual leak may very well be fake, though; it only has one or two things that seem to back it up, but even if it's fake, any of its characters could get in anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

The "brave" thing is character data in the game, so while it could be something other than DQ or whatever, the data itself is real regardless.

The actual leak may very well be fake, though; it only has one or two things that seem to back it up, but even if it's fake, any of its characters could get in anyway.
I know the data is real, I'm just saying that the word "Brave" could be anything. We still have the Rare spirits though. If the blockheads want to spurg out about the word Brave we have every right to shove the Rare spirits back at them and call them on their hypocrisy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know the data is real, I'm just saying that the word "Brave" could be anything. We still have the Rare spirits though. If the blockheads want to spurg out about the word Brave we have every right to shove the Rare spirits back at them and call them on their hypocrisy.
I'm both a "blockhead" and a Banjo-Kazooie fan.

Does it have to be a war like this thread seems to be making it out to be?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
While I don't love any of the characters specifically, they all represent quite different things and have pretty large fan bases.

Joker might be the most obscure simply because he's the newest, but he represents a newer character in a franchise that's been sort of a niche yet well received series.

Erdrick represents Dragon Quest, a series that has huge roots in Japan, and quite honestly I thought there would be Dragon Quest in Smash as soon as third party guests were a thing.

Ryu Hayabusa is a throwback character and has been in a handful of games spanning various genres.

Steve, as much as people on this board are against him, is part of an absolutely massive franchise. Maybe he's not recognizable on his own, but I'm sure they could give him 8 different sets of clothing from the series.

Doom Guy represents first person shooting games. I'm honesty most thrown off by this and he's the main reason I'm not sure I buy into this, but Doom is a long running franchise.

I don't really see anything wrong with the list and there are some incredibly recognizable names here, and while they might not be Banjo, I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with this set. But again, I'm not really believing it on account of there not really being a reason to. I do think Dragon Quest Hero is going to be one of them though.
Doomguy is pretty plausible to me due to Doom having a long history and being one of the pioneering FPS franchises, the franchise has frequently supported Nintendo, is probably the top 5 most popular FPS characters, and Bethesda does have interest in putting one of their characters in Smash. I don't think violence is a problem at all, if they can make Bayo work, they can make him work as well.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Iconic game had they not made the Xbox version they’d be a green light! Imagine master chief in there lol

Mr. Stagg

I'm both a "blockhead" and a Banjo-Kazooie fan.

Does it have to be a war like this thread seems to be making it out to be?
Alright i'll admit I've spent a little to much time on 4chan, which is anytime. Doesn't help that the big majority of Steve-supporters act like smug jerk-offs. I truly believe the actual number of steve-supporters are overshadowed by shameless meme-lords who latched onto him because of Vergie-burgie. Then again this is from the cesspit of stupid that is 4chan so maybe I'm just salty.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I posted this earlier in the DLC chat on the General Thread:

f this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Ryu whatever his name is - Don't we have already a Ryu in the game?

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I remember someone being like "oh the Kencineroar trailer is exactly like they described it in a GameXplain video hmmmmmmmm", so I might be a little wary of their content in the event one of them's like an industry insider who knows things about the upcoming DLC. Tho even if they weren't I wouldn't be rushing to watch it anyway lol

f this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.
Now now man, that "probably true" talk was also said about that there Grinch leak. At least wait until an actual announcement to complain as we're not even 100% sure we're even getting any Microsoft character at all. And we already have two Roys so I don't see what the issue is.

I'd like Crash too (tho Rayman does have a spirit already), but I don't know if anyone is "deserved" a rep in this fighting series. That sounds entitled, to which Sakurai could be like "***** I'll put a Pirahna Plant in this game for all I care, I don't care about your limbless ******, I'll do whatever I want, this is my game!" (but in Japanese)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I remember someone being like "oh the Kencineroar trailer is exactly like they described it in a GameXplain video hmmmmmmmm", so I might be a little wary of their content in the event one of them's like an industry insider who knows things about the upcoming DLC. Tho even if they weren't I wouldn't be rushing to watch it anyway lol

Now now man, that "probably true" talk was also said about that there Grinch leak. At least wait until an actual announcement to complain as we're not even 100% sure we're even getting any Microsoft character at all. And we already have two Roys so I don't see what the issue is.

I'd like Crash too (tho Rayman does have a spirit already), but I don't know if anyone is "deserved" a rep in this fighting series. That sounds entitled, to which Sakurai could be like "***** I'll put a Pirahna Plant in this game for all I care, I don't care about your limbless ******, I'll do whatever I want, this is my game!" (but in Japanese)
It is not entitled. I spent $ 270 on a switch and $ 60 on the game. I EXPECT QUALITY for my money.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

Not buying any Nintendo console or game ever again because of additional optional content they're adding to an amazingly fun game? You are obviously allowed to have your own opinions, but to me that's beyond lame. Not trying to start anything here I promise, but there's no way any content added to a game would make me not want to play other fun games completely unrelated to it. Never want to play another Smash game, fine. But miss out on things like Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, etc, I dunno man.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't panic yet, due to one specific reason:

The only true leak right now is the datamine with the "Jack" and "Brave" codenames, translating to Joker and Erdrick. Any "leak" that doesn't have those codenames should be taken with a salt mine or trashed entirely. Preferably the latter, one can't just take everything for granted.

If at any point there is a datamine with the word "Block" in it, then there'd be reason for concern.

That said, even if the DLC is Smash 4 2.0, it's still a nice game overall.

Yeah, I agree with this. Look at Waluigi, Sakurai is fine with having him be the designated monkey and isn't prepared to upgrade him yet, there's still a few other noteworthy Mario characters to include first, so it's not like he needs to be playable ASAP. If time and circumstances allow, any fan favorite could theoretically get in someday.

Besides, Sak to me seems fairly modest in what he wants to do, he's not actively malicious. Even his actual jokes typically don't last long (Smash Bros is about game characters fighting each other. *THE END* Nah, I'm just kidding.)

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, I've realised both the Rabbids and Rayman have been in Smash-like (?) games: Rayman in Brawlhala and the Rabbids in that one TMNT fighting game.

hinode

Smash Cadet
Not buying any Nintendo console or game ever again because of additional optional content they're adding to an amazingly fun game? You are obviously allowed to have your own opinions, but to me that's beyond lame. Not trying to start anything here I promise, but there's no way any content added to a game would make me not want to play other fun games completely unrelated to it. Never want to play another Smash game, fine. But miss out on things like Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, etc, I dunno man.
It's okay, he can spend all his time playing all the new Banjo-Kazooie games that Microsoft/Rare are releasing for Xbox One instead.

Oh, wait...

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The list is really bad but I’m guessing it’s very real. It makes sense given its Nintendo choosing it smells like soulless marketing 101. I’m just incredibly disappointed in Phil spencer acting like he gives a crap about banjo and something like this happens. I hope he never says another thing about them ever unless they show up in S2 which probably won’t happen, since whole 5 thing seems final.

I legit expect a bk assist trophy or spirit incoming as well so he can try to play it off

Welp at least all my old characters are here and Ridley/K Rool are cool

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
The list is really bad but I’m guessing it’s very real. It makes sense given its Nintendo choosing it smells like soulless marketing 101. I’m just incredibly disappointed in Phil spencer acting like he gives a crap about banjo and something like this happens. I hope he never says another thing about them ever unless they show up in S2 which probably won’t happen, since whole 5 thing seems final.

I legit expect a bk assist trophy or spirit incoming as well so he can try to play it off

Welp at least all my old characters are here and Ridley/K Rool are cool
You do realize that this is still unconfirmed, right? For all we know, it could still be fake. I mean, look at what happened with the Grinch leak.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You do realize that this is still unconfirmed, right? For all we know, it could still be fake. I mean, look at what happened with the Grinch leak.
Idk I personally feel that game explains attitude says a lot, they didn’t believe the grinch leak probably because they were privy to info and I imagine they believe in this case for similar reasons. Also the grinch leak was too happy for fans this one reeks of marketing and money so it feels very realistic. Remember the last characters announced before launch were ken, Incineroar and piranha plant of all things. We should just be happy 3 fan picks got in at this point.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Idk I personally feel that game explains attitude says a lot, they didn’t believe the grinch leak probably because they were privy to info and I imagine they believe in this case for similar reasons. Also the grinch leak was too happy for fans this one reeks of marketing and money so it feels very realistic. Remember the last characters announced before launch were ken, Incineroar and piranha plant of all things. We should just be happy 3 fan picks got in at this point.
Personally, I don't feel Gamexplain's feelings should hold any sort of weight. Remember, people thought that their silence on the Grinch Leak was because of "insider info", so I honestly don't believe that they do. I would suggest not making any sort of insinuations or accusations towards any company right now considering nothing is confirmed. I also suggest to take any sort of leak/rumor with a grain of salt, no matter how "realistic" or "plausible" it may seem at first.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Personally, I don't feel Gamexplain's feelings should hold any sort of weight. Remember, people thought that their silence on the Grinch Leak was because of "insider info", so I honestly don't believe that they do. I would suggest not making any sort of insinuations or accusations towards any company right now considering nothing is confirmed. I also suggest to take any sort of leak/rumor with a grain of salt, no matter how "realistic" or "plausible" it may seem at first.
I just want people to be very prepared for the cruel reality that Microsoft got the opportunity for a character in smash and banjo wasn’t it due to money/marketing and there will be no second pass. Expectations need to be kept to an all time low like they were before Phil most likely lied about wanting banjo in smash, especially with the surmounting evidence against us.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I just want people to be very prepared for the cruel reality that Microsoft got the opportunity for a character in smash and banjo wasn’t it due to money/marketing and there will be no second pass. Expectations need to be kept to an all time low like they were before Phil most likely lied about wanting banjo in smash, especially with the surmounting evidence against us.
While I do feel expectations should be tempered, you're acting like it's already a foregone conclusion when it's not. Also, let's not accuse Phil Spencer of lying about his comments regarding Banjo-Kazooie without any actual evidence.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
While I do feel expectations should be tempered, you're acting like it's already a foregone conclusion when it's not. Also, let's not accuse Phil Spencer of lying about his comments regarding Banjo-Kazooie without any actual evidence.
Steve in smash and no banjo will be all the evidence I need tbh but yeah it’s too early to say anything for certain at the moment for sure of course, it’s just what I personally think is true.
I just want the mystery to be over with so we accept whatever reality is, the wait hype isn’t fun anymore tbh.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
if steve is in smash & banjo is not then I'll never buy any xbox or M$ product ever again ! & I'll never play Minecraft again !

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Banjo will inevitably be in Smash Bros. It's just a matter of when. It could be this wave if the leaks are fake. It could be a potential second wave. It could be the next Smash Bros or the Smash Bros after it. I'm confident that our 20-year wait will be worth it.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Highly HIGHLY doubting this latest leak. Mainly for Doom Guy...

I don't see it happening. Yes. Doom has a history with Nintendo and new games on Switch and it would also fit with that Bethesda interview last year..

That being said... I don't see Nintendo marketing a game a like Doom in Super Smash Brothers... the satanic imagery and violence of Doom is waaaaaay out of Nintendo's comfort zone. Yea Beyonetta, Snake, and arguably Simon come from dark and violent franchises but considering Doom is a franchise that has pentagrams of blood covering walls over piles of shredded corpses and the protagonist literally disembowles demons and tears things heads off with his bare hands.. I just don't see them marketing that sort of game alongside Mario, Pikachu, and Nintendogs...

I see people use Beyonetta as an argument for Doom representation in Smash but I just don't see them on the same level at all. Not to mention if Bethesda was getting a rep I'd imagine they'd want it to be an original character of theirs and not id softwares original creation.. if the leak is real I'll eat my word's but I don't believe it at all. Not even because of Steve.. Doom guy ain't happening.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Highly HIGHLY doubting this latest leak. Mainly for Doom Guy...

I don't see it happening. Yes. Doom has a history with Nintendo and new games on Switch and it would also fit with that Bethesda interview last year..

That being said... I don't see Nintendo marketing a game a like Doom in Super Smash Brothers... the satanic imagery and violence of Doom is waaaaaay out of Nintendo's comfort zone. Yea Beyonetta, Snake, and arguably Simon come from dark and violent franchises but considering Doom is a franchise that has pentagrams of blood covering walls over piles of shredded corpses and the protagonist literally disembowles demons and tears things heads off with his bare hands.. I just don't see them marketing that sort of game alongside Mario, Pikachu, and Nintendogs...

I see people use Beyonetta as an argument for Doom representation in Smash but I just don't see them on the same level at all. Not to mention if Bethesda was getting a rep I'd imagine they'd want it to be an original character of theirs and not id softwares original creation.. if the leak is real I'll eat my word's but I don't believe it at all. Not even because of Steve.. Doom guy ain't happening.
Didnt they say all the DLC would be unexpected characters?

And ive never played MGS but doesnt Snake slit throats in his games? I think that is violent representation in Smash.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
bowser jr drills through people thats pretty violent & with doom guy in smash he can final tear apart pikachu for the demon devil worshiping monster from hell that he is currupting the youth into following satans will !

LOL remember the pokemon is evil scare of the 90s XD

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
I'm honestly starting to get REALLY scared for Steve in Smash since recently Sakurai has been retweeting stuff related to Minecraft.

Top Bottom