• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hmmm it seems pretty credible. Can't say I'm too excited for a DQ character as I've only played the original Dragon Warrior and DQ characters aren't super highly demanded but DQ is pretty important to gaming so it's fine I guess. I wish Nintendo would remember they had first party characters.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

dlewis53

Smash Lord
If all the DLC turns out to be animesque third party reps, I’m gonna uber pass on getting it. I sincerely hope we’ll get a mix of serious and cartoony characters, especially the likes of Banjo & Kazooie. If so, I’ll gladly buy the fighter’s pass
To be fair, it's just a rumor at this point; nothing concrete.

I think a lot of “leakers/insiders” are just trying to throw everything at the wall and hoping that something will stick. I don’t think anybody really knows who the DLC is. Joker is first, meaning he’ll likely be released around April or May, meaning he’s probably pretty far into development, and nobody guessed him. If nobody even guessed the first DLC character I don’t know how you expect me to believe anyone knows the rest of them

Not to mention, Hitagi has said himself that he didn’t know what he was getting into by leaking Smash stuff. He’s never given the impression that he’s completely confident in his Smash claims, but I think he’s just sticking with the Steve thing now because he put it out there and he’s gained a ton of attention for it ever since.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy and Scorpion definitely, but Master Chief? He has a chance if Banjo and Steve do. You can't ignore the fact that he's Microsoft's face for the Xbox and one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. I don't play Halo and I don't play any first person shooters. I am just stating the facts.
He will always and forever be completely meaningless in Japan, sure face of Microsoft but that doesn't amount to anything for evidence in Smash, in fact theres no evidence. The hype train for Chief began as soon as Banjo-Kazooies took off, it is 100% just piggybacking off of Microsofts interest in them being in Smash, and hoping they drop a fan favourite and one that has been touted by the head of the games division to be want they want, in favor of just putting Master Chief in because he's more 'iconic'. The catch all term fans use to gatekeep characters.

Its absolute nonsense, Chiefs not getting in. Ever.

EDIT: Should say for the record; I love Doom, its my favourite FPS ever, I love MK and Ive enjoyed Halo, but they're just terrible fits for Smash, even if I like those games I still feel you gotta be able to fit into Smash and I don't see them as likely either.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If all the DLC turns out to be animesque third party reps, I’m gonna uber pass on getting it. I sincerely hope we’ll get a mix of serious and cartoony characters, especially the likes of Banjo & Kazooie. If so, I’ll gladly buy the fighter’s pass
That is my biggest fear for the DLC as well

And would be very underwhelmed if (Especially if it's more swordwielders)
Nintendo and Sakurai cater their "Entire" DLC Lineup to Japan and are mainly characters from JRPG's that are big over there and not here, Not that I have nothing against them, But personally the only JRPG I really cared about is "Pokemon" and that franchise is already well represented. (Though I wouldn't be surprised or maybe even mind if we get an 8th Gen rep.)

I hope we do get more Western characters in especially cartoony platformer mascots which are my favorite such as Banjo-Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot and the entire DLC lineup becomes a mix that pleases everyone.

But at the end of the day I don't give a damn who makes it in as DLC just as long as Banjo-Kazooie also makes the cut.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with swordsmen, the notion that there are too many characters using swords is silly. Especially since they are all different unless they are literally meant to be padding. The real problem is the characters being added aren't highly demanded characters. Like Isaac uses a sword but people have been asking for him for 10 years and that would be better than a Dragon Quest character to me. I love Persona and I'm excited for Joker but he wasn't someone super highly demanded. Why can't characters we want to see be added? I don't care for Geno but people have been wanting him forever so they could have made him DLC. Obviously, there's Banjo, but also, Rayman, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Shantae, Dixie Kong, Waluigi or Toad. I don't even support half of those options but I'd be happy to just see them finally taking what we ask for into consideration.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with swordsmen, the notion that there are too many characters using swords is silly. Especially since they are all different unless they are literally meant to be padding.
My thoughts exactly; I never got behind that argument because, from my perspective, it comes with the notion that everyone who wields a sword in the game plays exactly the same way, and that's not true. The Links play differently from Marth, who plays differently from Roy, who plays differently Meta Knight, who plays differently from Ike, who plays differently from Robin, who plays differently from Shulk, who plays differently from Cloud, who plays differently from Corrin. The closest we've got to actual copies are Lucina and Chrom, and even then, they still play somewhat differently from their counterparts.

My point is that, like you said, that argument is incredibly silly.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The way I see it is that Microsoft didn't really start out with either of the games, so are they *really* Microsoft Reps? Sure, they're both owned by Microsoft, but I still think of Banjo-Kazooie as Rare and Minecraft as Mojang. Yeah, Microsoft owns them now, but they represent different franchises, genres, gaming generations, and everything. To me it's different than say, two Final Fantasy characters being added or something. But yeah, who knows. I like to think that there aren't any rules at all when it comes to things. I don't think Spirits mean a character can't be DLC as well, so who knows, haha.
SEGA owns Atlus so technically they own Joker, however Atlus are credited in the trailer for Joker. I assume Rare would be the same.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
honestly i think at this point banjo would be saved for a big event like e3 or for the big final reveal and i am guess we may get unveils in directs sometime before and after e3. May the last fighter will be at the game awards again or in a direct close to the end of the year.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Whether Rare is credited or not (they probably will be), Banjo's backpack has the Rare logo on it, and that better be retained here!!

(and totally, E3, Sony ain't even there, so it's another perfect opportunity for Nintendo and Microsoft to showcase a collaboration).

Last edited:
If Banjo happens, it totally makes sense for him to represent Rare, with possibly other Rare content along with him. It doesn’t have to be some “Microsoft” extravaganza. It makes sense considering Rare’s history with Nintendo. I imagine it would be Rare’s name listed in the credits rather than Microsoft

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whether Rare is credited or not (they probably will be), Banjo's backpack has the Rare logo on it, and that better be retained here!!

(and totally, E3, Sony ain't even there, so it's another perfect opportunity for Nintendo and Microsoft to showcase a collaboration).
Shouldn't be much of a problem, since Banjo isn't a Nintendo-owned character like Dixie is nowadays.

Also, Sony can't catch a break, their main US representative barely got to do anything at all at the VGAs compared to Phil and Reggie. :p

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyone wouldn't happen to know in what way "Persona 5" is associated with Sony?

From what I am aware of it's a franchise by Atlus who is now owned by Sega, But some people have been saying that the franchise is owned by Sony too in some sort of way so I assume they helped published it or something? I always assumed it just so happened to be a Playstation exclusive just like many other JRPG's that don't appear on the Xbox ,But are still considered 3rd Party, Because if Sony did need approval in some way then that can only mean good things for Banjo-Kazooie if Microsoft appears to be ok with it.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
honestly i think at this point banjo would be saved for a big event like e3 or for the big final reveal and i am guess we may get unveils in directs sometime before and after e3. May the last fighter will be at the game awards again or in a direct close to the end of the year.
The thing with assumptions like this, is that Banjo is a bigger name than the other (3) DLC characters. If there's a Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft, then as much as I love Banjo, they're probably taking centre stage at E3.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone wouldn't happen to know in what way "Persona 5" is associated with Sony?

From what I am aware of it's a franchise by Atlus who is now owned by Sega, But some people have been saying that the franchise is owned by Sony too in some sort of way so I assume they helped published it or something? I always assumed it just so happened to be a Playstation exclusive just like many other JRPG's that don't appear on the Xbox ,But are still considered 3rd Party, Because if Sony did need approval in some way then that can only mean good things for Banjo-Kazooie if Microsoft appears to be ok with it.
Basically, Persona just happened to have been published on Sony consoles, except the Q spin-offs. That's it. Besides, the rest of the MegaTen franchise is mostly on Nintendo consoles, so it'd be impossible for Sony to keep track of it all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He will always and forever be completely meaningless in Japan, sure face of Microsoft but that doesn't amount to anything for evidence in Smash, in fact theres no evidence. The hype train for Chief began as soon as Banjo-Kazooies took off, it is 100% just piggybacking off of Microsofts interest in them being in Smash, and hoping they drop a fan favourite and one that has been touted by the head of the games division to be want they want, in favor of just putting Master Chief in because he's more 'iconic'. The catch all term fans use to gatekeep characters.

Its absolute nonsense, Chiefs not getting in. Ever.

EDIT: Should say for the record; I love Doom, its my favourite FPS ever, I love MK and Ive enjoyed Halo, but they're just terrible fits for Smash, even if I like those games I still feel you gotta be able to fit into Smash and I don't see them as likely either.
With characters like Joker and Bayonetta making it in, it is hard to say that Doomguy isn't a fit for Smash.

Honestly, the third-parties that fit the best and make the most sense are Rayman, Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, and Banjo-Kazooie but Nintendo has lost its mind and wants to put in these more adult characters from Franchises that are not a fit for Smash. Even Snake is an odd fit for Smash. Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, and Simon Belmont are great fits by the way.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The thing with assumptions like this, is that Banjo is a bigger name than the other (3) DLC characters. If there's a Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft, then as much as I love Banjo, they're probably taking centre stage at E3.
What? No. No way Lara Croft or Crash Bandicoot are a bigger headline than Banjo-Kazooie.

This would be Banjo-Kazooie's big return, that alone is a headline more than anything Crash or Lara can do at the moment since their franchises are kinda active (well, Crash hasn't been getting new games, but at least has been getting games). Add on top of that Rare's reunion with Nintendo, and Banjo in Smash to represent it, that's a huge deal that's certainly E3 worthy. But biggest of all is probably the fact that Microsoft, Nintendo's console competitor, is collaborating with them to put a character of theirs into Smash Bros.. Nothing can really top that at E3.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Banjo is litterally THE MOST wanted character now that K Rool is in ALL the fan polls say so he even beat crash

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Doomguy, Master Chief and Scorpion will never be in Smash, and I find anyone who believes that unironically to be highest form of deluded fans to exist next to Waluigi fans.
Screen capped for future reference.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
In the grand scheme of gaming it's no question that Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider are bigger names than Banjo-Kazooie seeing how the Playstation dominated the Nintendo 64 sales wise at about 3:1 (around 100 Million vs 35 million) thus giving those franchises more exposure and a bigger impact.

Lara Croft is likely the first character that comes up when you think of video game heroines and has had a couple of movies and is relevant again thanks to it's 2013 reboot and past couple of sequels as of late.

Crash Bandicoot was the de facto mascot for the Playstation brand and pretty much took over as Mario's main rival temporarily after Sonic and Sega were declining during the late 90's, The series entire PS1 output which included a trilogy and a couple of spinoffs that made it one of the best selling franchises on the system, Hell it even got parodied/referenced on "The Simpsons" back in it's prime, You know you made an impact when you get mentioned on one of the best TV sitcoms of all time, Plus the franchise is on much sturdier ground with the very successful N-Sane Trilogy, CTR remaster and potentially new future titles.

That being said Banjo-Kazooie makes much more sense and would have a bigger impact for Super Smash Bros because of their strong Nintendo legacy being an ex exclusive franchise for the company which heavily favors the Smash fanbase which are Nintendo fans, Just like how Crash and Lara Croft were heavily requested and would have made a big impact for "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale" because of their strong ties to the Playstation brand. (Though Crash Bandicoot would be my 2nd choice for a 3rd Party Character after Banjo-Kazooie)

Not to mention it would be shocking, jaw dropping and an industry first to see a rival competitor (Microsoft) have their 1st Party Character (Former Nintendo characters too) tied to the Xbox brand appear on a crossover fighting game interacting with Nintendo characters which would be the Ultimate reveal and reunion.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
What? No. No way Lara Croft or Crash Bandicoot are a bigger headline than Banjo-Kazooie.

This would be Banjo-Kazooie's big return, that alone is a headline more than anything Crash or Lara can do at the moment since their franchises are kinda active (well, Crash hasn't been getting new games, but at least has been getting games). Add on top of that Rare's reunion with Nintendo, and Banjo in Smash to represent it, that's a huge deal that's certainly E3 worthy. But biggest of all is probably the fact that Microsoft, Nintendo's console competitor, is collaborating with them to put a character of theirs into Smash Bros.. Nothing can really top that at E3.
My problem with E3 being a likely place to finally reveal Banjo & Kazooie is we already had an absolutely primo event that would've been PERFECT for their reveal with the Video Game Awards literally landing on their twentieth anniversary in Japan the day before the game launched and REGGIE AND PHIL ON STAGE AT THE SAME TIME, and who did we get revealed? Joker from Persona, someone who has little to nothing to do with Nintendo. I'm trying to be optimistic, E3 WOULD be a perfect time to bring them out. But will they? Especially if the likes of Piranha Plant and Joker are higher up on the priority schedule of reveals? I sincerely hope so. They would make this game truly Ultimate if they did finally return home and make it in.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah like i said how many times do the "stars have to align" for banjo only for it to not happen ? Banjo's ONLY hope is a N64 Classic Mini witch would be a holaday release making him the LAST character reveiled & nintendo already said the NES & SNES Classic Mini are now DONE ! there not making anymore of them

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

My problem with E3 being a likely place to finally reveal Banjo & Kazooie is we already had an absolutely primo event that would've been PERFECT for their reveal with the Video Game Awards literally landing on their twentieth anniversary in Japan the day before the game launched and REGGIE AND PHIL ON STAGE AT THE SAME TIME, and who did we get revealed? Joker from Persona, someone who has little to nothing to do with Nintendo. I'm trying to be optimistic, E3 WOULD be a perfect time to bring them out. But will they? Especially if the likes of Piranha Plant and Joker are higher up on the priority schedule of reveals? I sincerely hope so. They would make this game truly Ultimate if they did finally return home and make it in.
Sony isn't showing up at E3 next year, so it will just be Nintendo and Microsoft. E3 would be the perfect time for Nintendo and Microsoft to reveal the N64 Mini and Banjo in Smash since Sony isn't showing up at all.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I mean, the stars don't have to align for anything. Persona wasn't in The Game Awards at all, minus the Smash announcement. Whether Persona is coming next year to the Switch (as some rumors state) or not, it's possible that Nintendo just has the order in which they want to release the DLC and aren't gearing it towards any specific event. I don't recall any of the Smash 4 DLC being released around any milestones related to the characters contained in said DLC.

Whether Banjo makes it or not, we'll see, but I think you guys are jumping a little too quickly at dismissal because the seemingly opportune event passed by without any announcement. *shrug*

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I mean, the stars don't have to align for anything. Persona wasn't in The Game Awards at all, minus the Smash announcement. Whether Persona is coming next year to the Switch (as some rumors state) or not, it's possible that Nintendo just has the order in which they want to release the DLC and aren't gearing it towards any specific event. I don't recall any of the Smash 4 DLC being released around any milestones related to the characters contained in said DLC.

Whether Banjo makes it or not, we'll see, but I think you guys are jumping a little too quickly at dismissal because the seemingly opportune event passed by without any announcement. *shrug*
Persona was a Game of the Year nominee last year at the Game Awards, it actually lines up pretty well with the venue they chose to the announce the character. If anyone would know what Persona is most, it's the Game Awards.

Last edited:
Sakurai said something interesting in his latest Famitsu interview, when talking about including Simon and Richter. He said that a lot of players would probably be most familiar with Alucard, but he went with the Belmonts because that’s what the fans would’ve preferred, as well as because they (or at least Simon) were highly requested in the smash ballot. And I couldn’t help but think of this whole “Steve vs Banjo” debate, because it’s basically the same argument. People say Steve is more likely because a lot of players are more familiar with him. But Banjo is definitely the character the fans prefer, and it seems like they obviously performed well on the ballot.

So anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Assuming they’re keeping the ballot results in mind with the DLC, I think this is a bit encouraging for Banjo’s chances. Here’s a link to Sakurai’s comments if you’re interested
https://twitter.com/allsourcegaming/status/1074584068291944448?s=21

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sakurai said something interesting in his latest Famitsu interview, when talking about including Simon and Richter. He said that a lot of players would probably be most familiar with Alucard, but he went with the Belmonts because that’s what the fans would’ve preferred, as well as because they (or at least Simon) were highly requested in the smash ballot. And I couldn’t help but think of this whole “Steve vs Banjo” debate, because it’s basically the same argument. People say Steve is more likely because a lot of players are more familiar with him. But Banjo is definitely the character the fans prefer, and it seems like they obviously performed well on the ballot.

So anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Assuming they’re keeping the ballot results in mind with the DLC, I think this is a bit encouraging for Banjo’s chances. Here’s a link to Sakurai’s comments if you’re interested
https://twitter.com/allsourcegaming/status/1074584068291944448?s=21
So this basically confirms that fan demand matters more then recognizability....

Hmm...this makes me even more confident in the bear since I’m pretty sure Steve was never even present in the Ballot unless he was very low.

So this basically confirms that fan demand matters more then recognizability....

Hmm...this makes me even more confident in the bear since I’m pretty sure Steve was never even present in the Ballot unless he was very low.
Yeah, people’s main argument for Steve is Minecraft’s popularity. He’s never been a character that the fans have really asked for until recently. Hell, I don’t think Minecraft had even come to Nintendo platforms until after the Smash ballot ended.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Sakurai chose that for Castlevania reps, cause they were on the base game and were his decision. But we all know that Nintendo is the one choosing the DLC now.

My point is, we can't extrapolate any decision or pattern that Sakurai did on the base roster towards the DLC, because we have confirmation that it's an entirely different process.

Yeah, Sakurai chose that for Castlevania reps, cause they were on the base game and were his decision. But we all know that Nintendo is the one choosing the DLC now.

My point is, we can't extrapolate any decision or pattern that Sakurai did on the base roster towards the DLC, because we have confirmation that it's an entirely different process.
Nintendo were the ones who ran the Smash ballot. It was their decision. Why wouldn’t they continue to utilize it?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I would be genuinely surprised if at least one popular character wasn't pulled from the last Smash ballot to make as DLC. I'm not expecting more than 2 at the most in this category, but *someone* in the DLC decision making process has to realize that popular characters that people ask for are worth putting in because, well, people are asking for them. That's one reason I think Banjo isn't completely wiped from being an option; people have expressed interest in them still. Now, plenty of other characters have followings too, so whatever happens I'll be happy for the fans of their series of course, but I know at least thread would be stoked for our bear and bird.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Technically, I believe Nintendo only partially chose the DLC Fighters; from my understanding, what they did was come up with a list of characters that they'd be okay with having as DLC, and then they gave said list to Sakurai and allowed him to pick five of them, one of which apparently being Joker from Persona 5. So I'd say it's sort of a joint-effort with both Nintendo and Sakurai on this one.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I doubt Sakurai was locked out of the room when the decision making was happening... I get what that Tweet said but I think it's being taken too literally... Nintendo probably had more say than they usually do in the character selection.. Joker certainly bodes well for any other characters.... I highly doubt the Ballot was thrown out the window when it came to DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt Sakurai was locked out of the room when the decision making was happening... I get what that Tweet said but I think it's being taken too literally... Nintendo probably had more say than they usually do in the character selection.. Joker certainly bodes well for any other characters.... I highly doubt the Ballot was thrown out the window when it came to DLC.
Yeah, I figure they'll sneak in at least one from the ballot there. Bonus points if it's someone that's been requested since the Melee/Brawl days.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Was the spirits thing disregarded as being Nintendo of Japan thinking they could use them because they published them, not realising they weren't owned by them in the US?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Was the spirits thing disregarded as being Nintendo of Japan thinking they could use them because they published them, not realising they weren't owned by them in the US?
They would've been removed from the code in the update if that were the case, but from what I'm told, they're still in... Might still just be future proofing.

Top Bottom