• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
If we look at the recent appearances of third party guest characters released at the launch of a Smash game

Brawl - Snake, Sonic
Smash 4 - Mega Man, Pac Man
Ultimate - Simon, ???

If we combine this with the Vergebin leak which states Minecraft but specifically states only representation and not a character, and we combine that with the fact Sakurai is interested in adding as much fan favorite content as possible, I really think this is very likely now. I would not have said this before, but the more I think about it, the more I see how Sakurai is handling Smash. I think this bird and bear are gonna. Especially with the Rare Ltd. tweet. Modern Rare Ltd. doesn't have much of a connection with King K. Rool, and I'm sure there's some odd red tape restrictions that would normally pop up in retweeting a competing company's promotional material. It would be more acceptable is Banjo was in and is to be revealed.

At least I hope so, I certainly hope Sakurai doesn't just straight up add Minecraft Steve as a character over Banjo. I don't think he would though.

Edit: Also forgot to say, but good luck you guys. I really hope you guys are able to get your duo in.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Vergeben being further backed by this direct is definitely giving me more hope for Banjo & Kazooie.

I doubt Sakurai would add Steve over Banjo & Kazooie, he might be unpredictable but I think he'd still favour a character that is essentially a beloved Nintendo character over a Minecraft character given the chance.

I think it's most likely that we'll get a Minecraft assist trophy. (or maybe a regular trophy)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah a Konami situation with one IP getting playability and the other in the support role.

Unlike Konami, don't see a third getting added to the mix though.

nawsm

Smash Rookie
Hi there, big fan of this thread! I stumbled upon an interesting yet probably incorrect blurry book of what might just be Banjo and Kazooie behind Sakurai:
https://imgur.com/a/tdP7DBG

I'm probably wrong on this... but in case I'm right, it's on the record!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Vergeben being further backed by this direct is definitely giving me more hope for Banjo & Kazooie.

I doubt Sakurai would add Steve over Banjo & Kazooie, he might be unpredictable but I think he'd still favour a character that is essentially a beloved Nintendo character over a Minecraft character given the chance.

I think it's most likely that we'll get a Minecraft assist trophy. (or maybe a regular trophy)
He might not have a choice maybe he can’t get any other Microsoft Character I been having this thought

From a Banjo and Kazooie, Master chief support and not Steve

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
With K. Rool now revealed, two characters I'm definitely anticipating are Geno and Banjo & Kazooie. Now that I've actually watched some footage of the N64 games, I can definitely see how the duo could work. I also get the thread title's reference now.

Overall, Banjo & Kazooie looks like a very well made game. Clearly inspired by Mario 64, but not just an outright imitation.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Just a thought, but if the theme is heroes vs villains, Grunty would make an excellent stage boss

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Banjo getting in would also make for an interesting reunion with Diddy Kong I just realized.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
With K. Rool confirmed, Banjo-Kazooie's the only character left who I feel should have been in Smash a long time ago. Even if I've never played their games, their role is enough that I hope they make it to Ultimate as playable, when so many other noteworthy franchises are making their respective debuts at the same time.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Ugh, I'm getting hopeful. I told myself not to and yet here we are. The one sad thing about this is that even if Banjo and Kazooie do get added, I doubt we'll get a new game for them. And even if we did I doubt it would be good. -_-

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel it, the flame of hope. From the first spark that ignited when Phil gave his "blessing," to the slow burn that roared during the ballot.

I feel it, the feeling I haven't felt before or since that first feeling long ago.

I feel it, our bear and bird are coming home.

Do you feel it, too?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The only thing potentially holding Banjo and Kazooie back is Nintendo and whether they'd be okay with a rival character in Smash, Phil Spencer gave his approval before the ballot, Sakurai definately noticed his popularity and Spencer's remarks, and he was considered for Melee. Probably just saving him for last due to having a rival console character in being huge.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
The only thing potentially holding Banjo and Kazooie back is Nintendo and whether they'd be okay with a rival character in Smash, Phil Spencer gave his approval before the ballot, Sakurai definately noticed his popularity and Spencer's remarks, and he was considered for Melee. Probably just saving him for last due to having a rival console character in being huge.
I could understand that argument pre-Microsoft/Nintendo love, but the two seem to be on great terms lately.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe this is just me but I kinda feel like negotiations might have broken down if Microsoft didn't agree to Banjo & Kazooie being playable. I just find it hard to imagine Sakurai taking Master Chief or a Minecraft character instead of Banjo & Kazooie given their relationship with Nintendo. There isn't another third party character that has quite as intimate a relationship with Nintendo as Banjo & Kazooie.

It might just be my bias showing through but I feel like Sakurai would have opened negotiations with Microsoft solely with the intention of getting Banjo & Kazooie as playable.

Minecraft content is a side effect of Sakurai getting Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Maybe this is just me but I kinda feel like negotiations might have broken down if Microsoft didn't agree to Banjo & Kazooie being playable. I just find it hard to imagine Sakurai taking Master Chief or a Minecraft character instead of Banjo & Kazooie given their relationship with Nintendo.

It might just be my bias showing through but I feel like Sakurai would have opened negotiations with Microsoft solely with the intention of getting Banjo & Kazooie as playable.

No way that Sakurai goes to Microsoft without the intention of getting Banjo & Kazooie. He prioritized Mega Man over Ryu, after all.

Banjo & Kazooie would be the motive behind Sakurai's negotiations with Microsoft due to their likely high ballot placement and of course, formerly strong ties to Nintendo. Minecraft would be a bonus without having to focus dev time on a character who may or may not aesthetically work in Smash, but its presence would still gain a ton of buzz since it's Minecraft in Smash.

Master Chief would be a future incentive to Microsoft's benefit as a shock DLC character that brings a whole new audience to Smash, ala Cloud, and gives Microsoft huge recognition since it's their de facto gaming mascot.

I don't think they could deny Banjo & Kazooie if they were promised Minecraft and/or Master Chief at some point. If Phil Spencer is to be believed, they may not deny B&K anyways.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I feel it, the flame of hope. From the first spark that ignited when Phil gave his "blessing," to the slow burn that roared during the ballot.

I feel it, the feeling I haven't felt before or since that first feeling long ago.

I feel it, our bear and bird are coming home.

Do you feel it, too?
I feel the universe shifting

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Maybe this is just me but I kinda feel like negotiations might have broken down if Microsoft didn't agree to Banjo & Kazooie being playable. I just find it hard to imagine Sakurai taking Master Chief or a Minecraft character instead of Banjo & Kazooie given their relationship with Nintendo. There isn't another third party character that has quite as intimate a relationship with Nintendo as Banjo & Kazooie.

There is no way Master Chief would be in Smash :bobomb: He isn't even in Killer Instinct.

If the Microsoft and Nintendo partnership means anything for Smash, we are getting Banjo and Kazooie, playable or not. Maybe we can get a Rash (Battletoads) Assist Trophy too, so we can finally kill him with cameos.

Anyways, I still feel like Banjo and Kazooie are coming. This is the ultimate Smash and it wouldn't be ultimate without two of the most iconic faces of the N64 era.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Yesterday's direct was INSANE. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie are closer to becoming a reality in this game than ever before. If they get in alongside Ridley, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont, this will truly be the Ultimate Smash that fans have been waiting almost 20 years for. Please don't let us down, Sakurai.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
smash_mii_costume_bear_2__large.jpg

Well with a lot of the DLC Mii outfits released during the smash ballot turning into smash ultimate playable characters one outfit always felt out of place to me didn't quit fit in & that was the honey bear ! & banjo is a honey bear ! the pot is yellow & the bow tie blue ! banjo's colors & the girl bear outfit has a red bowtie! red & a girl like kazooie ! BANJO FOR SMASH! or am I grasping at straws & going crazy lol is that bear outfit from something or just some random bear outfit ? :p

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Also is said I didn't get the hype behind simon Belmont B4 when he was just a rumored leak WELL I TAKE IT BACK ! I'm hyped as F^&*$ brought back memorys of SC4 on Snes I liked that game as a kid, they realy whent all out on him ! :D

Reila

View attachment 156577
Well with a lot of the DLC Mii outfits released during the smash ballot turning into smash ultimate playable characters one outfit always felt out of place to me didn't quit fit in & that was the honey bear ! & banjo is a honey bear ! the pot is yellow & the bow tie blue ! banjo's colors & the girl bear outfit has a red bowtie! red & a girl like kazooie ! BANJO FOR SMASH! or am I grasping at straws & going crazy lol is that bear outfit from something or just some random bear outfit ? :p
I don't see Kazooie there, so it is just a random bear outfit in my eyes.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The honey bear was released during the ballot alongside K Rool and Geno? Just to clarify

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I don't see Kazooie there, so it is just a random bear outfit in my eyes.
If we had "Kazooie", A.K.A. a bird in that costume as well, it would make it too obviously a reference to these characters whom they don't own. I don't personally think it's intended as a reference regardless, because we also have generic cat and monkey costumes.

Though if it was a reference? I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo & Kazooie end up playable.

The honey bear was released during the ballot alongside K Rool and Geno? Just to clarify
Alongside K. Rool in Wave 3. Geno came after the ballot ended in December for Wave 5.

Reila

If we had "Kazooie", A.K.A. a bird in that costume as well, it would make it too obviously a reference to these characters whom they don't own. I don't personally think it's intended as a reference regardless, because we also have generic cat and monkey costumes.
My point is that there isn't Banjo without Kazooie. If the bear suit was supposed to kinda represent Banjo&Kazooie, there would be ways to do it without copyright infringement.

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered that if BanjoK got in, it might be better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) if they were DLC in terms of a design perspective? Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin are way more overloaded in their designs than the average character. Seeing King K. Rool in, I'm glad he's in but his kit is pretty basic - even having a counter on his down b. I'm just wondering how different BK would be if they were in the basegame compared to being DLC.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Okay that Honeybear is straight up a reference.

Sorry, but it’s timing alongside K Rool, the blue and red ties. I can see how this has not been brought up before, because yeah the cat and dog costumes, but considering how much it seems the ballot is playing into this game’s roster...

I mean I am not expecting Banjo-Kazooie because it would be too good to be true, but then again....

I am totally expecting Banjo-Kazooie

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
My point is that there isn't Banjo without Kazooie. If the bear suit was supposed to kinda represent Banjo&Kazooie, there would be ways to do it without copyright infringement.
Gotcha. I think it would help support the idea if there were a separate bird costume in the same pack (especially if it was a reddish bird), but the blue bowtie accessory on the male bear in place of the backpack and the red bowtie on the female bear would be one subtle (extremely so, likely out of caution) way of handling it.

It's hard to "represent" them both in one costume since it's such an odd combo of animals that everyone would immediately catch onto it. Maybe if the blaster on the arm were red to reference the Breegull Blaster?

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Reila Reila
My point is that there isn't Banjo without Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing says Hi LOL

Yeah Banjo HAS to get in this game even if its DLC phil, rare are on board M$ & Nintendo are working well together banjo was high on the fan polls
& this is the "Ultimate" smash bros after all :p But I'm aware it just may not happen but its fun to be hyped if your already prepared for a letdown B/C as etika said in a tweet -
"In an age where games (especially fighting games) are opting to give LESS content upfront and have the rest as paid DLC...
Ultimate comes along as a truly revitalizing, reassuring breath of fresh air which gives it ALL. This game will be worth its $60 price tag and THEN some."
so I'd still be happy
BUT as a physical copy lover I'd rather have them in the base game! like look how long people LOVE melee! I'd be sad if in 10 to 20 years my switch breacks & no eshop so no more banjo! Nintendo dose not really re release smash game exept Smash 64 I think? & smash 3DS/Wiiu didn't get a gold or GOTY edition for there DLC as I would of rebought them for the physical value

Folt

Smash Ace
Just remember: At the moment, there is no guarantee that there is any Minecraft content at all in the game, nor is there any guarantee that Banjo and Kazooie can make it in even if it were. It's fine to hope, but don't fall into the trap of "expecting" them to be in, even if the stars appear to have lined up perfectly.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Just remember: At the moment, there is no guarantee that there is any Minecraft content at all in the game, nor is there any guarantee that Banjo and Kazooie can make it in even if it were. It's fine to hope, but don't fall into the trap of "expecting" them to be in, even if the stars appear to have lined up perfectly.
I'm with you on that. I pray this'll be their time to shine after the likes of Ridley and King K. Rool making their long-awaited debut but there is as much going against them as there is for them. I want to have hope but I want to be realistic as well.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Hey everyone, I've spent most my time glued to the K. Rool pages here.... now that THAT is over with... it's time for me to move my speculation to my next most wanted character or characters rather... the good ol' Bear and Bird. I think Banjo has a great shot, he was high up on just about every ballot vote recording list. With how friendly MS and Nintendo have been as of late I feel Banjo has the best chance he's ever had.

Not only that but I even have a sneaking suspicion as to when Banjo & Kazooie could be revealed... I think the N64 classic is inevitable and I think it's going to drop this holiday season.. I have a feeling that Nintendo got the rights to publish Banjo-Kazooie on it and we will see a reveal trailer for them alongside the announcement of the N64 classic. This new Smash hasn't really had any tie in trailers with game but I could see a Banjo announcment coinciding with such a reveal.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 156577
You’re not the only one who has thought about this over and over

Top Bottom