• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah considering they didn't even consult Steve Mayles for making K. Rool, I doubt Banjo's old composer would be in the know. He's just speculating.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
And I doubt he was approached to do any music or any voices either. Banjo and Kazooie are both voiced by Chris Sutherland, and Kirkhope only did the voice of Mumbo, really.
Huh, I didn't know that. I always wondered who voiced Banjo, Kazooie, and Mumbo. Who voiced Gruntilda?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huh, I didn't know that. I always wondered who voiced Banjo, Kazooie, and Mumbo. Who voiced Gruntilda?
Seems to be Chris Seavor.

On a semi-related note, if I recall correctly, the entire cast of Conker's Bad Fur Day was voiced by one guy (possibly using various voice filters, obviously). That's very impressive an achievement that's worthy of Rare.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

On a semi-related note, if I recall correctly, the entire cast of Conker's Bad Fur Day was voiced by one guy (possibly using various voice filters, obviously). That's very impressive an achievement that's worthy of Rare.
Chris Seavor IIRC.
Thanks you guys. Chris Seavor makes a really great witch voice which mad impressive which in this case fits Grunty well.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I recall hearing that too, the only exception were that some if not all the female characters were voiced by female workers at Rare for Bad Fur Day if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I agree Grant is speculating just like the rest of us, his opinion is still important--he knows the industry better than the rest of us, and he may have an insight in the chances, even if he doesn't know anything in particular. Still, we're at the same place we were before--chances are low, but this game is all about unlikely miracles happening. Ridley, K Rool--to me, Banjo rounds out the unlikely Trio.

And Steve Mayles is on the Banjo for Smash hype train!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Would they not have to talk to Grant at all if they were to inlcude any Banjo Kazooie music? Because I would think that if Banjo were in Smash he would come with music as well.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's been 10 years since King K Rool was in a game… he gets in Ultimate…
It's also been 10 years for Banjo & Kazooie…?????
I really want to believe

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Would they not have to talk to Grant at all if they were to inlcude any Banjo Kazooie music? Because I would think that if Banjo were in Smash he would come with music as well.
Since he's a freelancer I wouldn't be surprised if they approached him about it ,but when it comes to Smash they already have a whole orchestra meant for that series and just do their music for all franchises, not to mention all music from the Banjo-Kazooie games are copyrights and owned by Rare which is owned by Microsoft, So they would have to approach them for permission even if Grant is the man behind the series score.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Since he's a freelancer I wouldn't be surprised if they approached him about it ,but when it comes to Smash they already have a whole orchestra meant for that series and just do their music for all franchises, not to mention all music from the Banjo-Kazooie games are copyrights and owned by Rare which is owned by Microsoft, So they would have to approach them for permission even if Grant is the man behind the series score.
Ah ok, yeah I meant from a legal perspective. I know they wouldn't need Grant to actually make any remixes or anything. I just figured he would likely have some say legally speaking, but perhaps not. I'm not really sure how any of that works to be honest.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's the same situation as with David Wise.. I'm sure they didn't say anything to him about using Gangplank Galleon.. Grant Kirkhope has no idea of the inner workings of what's going on. Even if he did I very much doubt he would ruin the surprise for everyone..

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Since we brought up what the duo would like to be called on the fighter select screen by the Smash announcer another minor detail I would like to discuss is what their stage entrance should be when the announcer is counting down 3...2...1... Go!!! Probably the most obvious choice would be their warp pad entrance when they enter a world in the first game ,but I personally think it's a little generic, I would love to see their stage entrance where they come dive bombing down from the sky while screaming and then crashing or faceplanting on to the stage and then dusting themselves off really quick like their ok, then doing a quick ready to fight pose while Banjo says "Guh-huh !!!" and Kazooie says "Breegull !!!" in a slapstick kind of way, it would be fitting for the duo since the B-K games have that kind of silly, quirky, wacky charm to them and just like their anticipating debut in Smash it would be like they were coming out of no where or out of left field.
I certainly like the creativity and originality there, though I have to admit I'm also still a bit attached to the nostalgia involved with using a warp pad entrance. Though that's simply my two cents regarding the discussion you proposed; nothing more, nothing less. I guess in the end though... I'd be happy with whatever their entrance ends up being, so long as they get into Smash Bros. I don't want to be too picky or greedy after Sakurai has sacrificed so much of himself already.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
A musical note door pops up and Kazooie talon trots out of it and flips Banjo back on his feet before the battle start

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
The final trailer before Smash is released:

A raging blizzard covers a world in snow as the Ice Climbers struggle to climb a tall and arduous mountain. They have never scaled so tall a mountain before in all their years and they grow worried that they'll never reach the top of the mountain. They look around and can see nothing but grey and white snow all around them. Eventually, they reach the top triumphantly! The blizzard finally quells as they hope to have a better view but all around them is covered in snow and ice. Suddenly, they look west and notice the sun rising up! Only it isn't any ordinary sun, it's the Smash symbol flaming bright! It reaches its peak quickly and soon begins to melt the ice and snow all around them, the Ice Climbers sweltering in the newfound heat. Soon the ground beneath them begins to crumble quickly and they fall down a bit before landing on solid ground! They put themselves together and shake off the dust before they look around as the ice and snow melts to reveal Spiral Mountain! Gruntilda's Lair, the waterfall, and the vegetables all melt and come into view as they look around. Nana soon points out to Popo a small blue house in the distance, which then zooms in to the door which flings open to Banjo and Kazooie wearily waking from their hibernation before looking up at the sun to see the Smash symbol! They realize they've been invited to the competition and strike a pose with their splash screen saying Banjo & Kazooie come out of hibernation! Gameplay footage ensues showcasing their moves and techniques from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie with them fighting against Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Duo, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Princess Peach, etc. before showcasing their stage Spiral Mountain which travels to various parts of the hub world before fighting on top of Gruntilda's Lair with Gruntilda waiting to taunt the players! They then reveal their Final Smash with Mumbo Jumbo & Humba Wumba teaming up to transform them quickly into Daddy T. Rex before rampaging across the stage and roaring sending their opponents flying!

My buddy came up with the idea of them coming out of hibernation and I lost my **** over how cool a reveal that would be haha

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Warp Pad entrance just feels too perfect to not use.
It like it just fine ,but it seems a little boring and generic in my opinion, It's something that you can kind of slap on a lot of characters , that's why I want something that fits the duo and shows there wacky personality kind of like when they perform a beak bomb midair and Banjo says "yuh-oh" but I want to see them do that but downwards instead and faceplant for their entrance ,but as long as they get in that's all that really matters in the end.

Last edited:

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
Ultimately, all stage entrances have to be a simple affair because of the 3 second countdown. Depending on how many players there are in a match, most stage entrances can have a ‘blink-and-you’ll-miss-it’ feel as the camera pans from fighter to fighter. Falling from the sky is certainly original but the warp pad entrance is simple enough to fit countdown limitations and fits the nostalgia bill. Better to use their moveset to showcase their personality I feel.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah that's the only drawback of my personal entrance is that it may take little too long maybe they can speed it up a bit, my 2nd option would be taking a page from the Ice Climbers entrance with the pterodactyl, but with Kazooie lowering the duo on to the stage and then doing a ready to fight pose while saying "Guh huh !!!" And "Breegull !!!"

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice

Yeah Conker only has 3 voice actors

Chris Seavor did every male character
Every female character was voiced by the same lady
Then the Great Mighty Poo had a seperate voice i guess cause Chris couldn’t sing

Pakky

Smash Hero

So, yeah I want Banjo and Kazooie as the last BIG blow out character.... and then a reboot of the whole series on Switch and Xbox ONE...

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I started playing the first Banjo game today on Xbone. Man it’s such a damn shame we never got a true third game. Kazooie and Tooie are absolute masterpieces. I legit think Tooie might be the best 3D platformer ever made

But I also noticed how perfect all of their moves are for Smash. They can double jump,ground pound, they can shoot projectiles, punch, roll, etc. Not sure what their final smash would be though

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I started playing the first Banjo game today on Xbone. Man it’s such a damn shame we never got a true third game. Kazooie and Tooie are absolute masterpieces. I legit think Tooie might be the best 3D platformer ever made

But I also noticed how perfect all of their moves are for Smash. They can double jump,ground pound, they can shoot projectiles, punch, roll, etc. Not sure what their final smash would be though
I agree, it is a shame. Though people give Yooka-Laylee a lot of slack--and some of it is warranted. However, I consider it a worthy "third" installment as a spiritual successor, much more so than Nuts & Bolts despite the limitations of being an indie developed game (and to be honest, despite its heresy, had more fun with it than Odyssey). It is a shame, though, as Tooie was such a good game it would have been interesting to see how they took that formula further.

The moves are so perfect for Smash--in the 64 era, Smash was essentially a fighter of platforming characters, and nothing embodied that more than Banjo-Kazooie, with the exception of Mario. All the moves you learned as you progressed through the world, the freedom of movement, while still having that wacky charm. It's why I'm flustered when people suggest Minecraft Steve over them--have they ever PLAYED Banjo-Kazooie? The moves speak for themselves, and regardless of what some people may think, I'm certain Sakurai considers the intricacies of each new fighter's move-sets more than "well they're more famous and relevant."

It's why I feel like had the Rare situation not happen, Banjo & Kazooie would have certainly been in Melee and would now be perennial veterans. As Sakurai is using this game to bring back so many things that were once scrapped (e.g., Ditto) or considered impossible (e.g., everyone is here, Ridley), I feel like while there are more "relevant" newcomers, Banjo's importance cannot be overstated, and I consider the single-most important missing piece of the puzzle.

(I had an image I whipped up that portrays that feeling, but I've still yet to figure out how to upload images)

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Tell me about it. Tooie was such an insanely big deal to me as a kid--I remember I had printed out a transcript of the opening scene that I had found online, and regularly read and reread it in anticipation of the game. And when I got to play it...just wow. One of my favorite parts was always how the worlds interconnected; it blew my young mind how big and seamless the game world felt.

Both Tooie and Kazooie just captured my imagination when I was a kid...It was an incredible experience. There was this sort of wonder about it, like anything could be hiding in the game--alot of that was because there literally were tons of things hiding in the game. The hidden eggs, the ice key, Bottles' puzzles, the vast array of cheats...and some of them were even incomplete, leading to absolutely nothing happening. I miss how games used to have so many rough edges and unused ideas still left in the game...it made it feel so mysterious. Rare and the N64 were especially great at that. I'm afraid we'll never see that kind of thing again, what with the absurd amount of polish in newer games and the rise of commonplace hacking digging up all the secrets.

At least I still have the memories.:) I'll never forget wondering what the hey Shark Food Island was about, only to see it rise up at the end of the 100% game. That was freaking magical.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Tell me about it. Tooie was such an insanely big deal to me as a kid--I remember I had printed out a transcript of the opening scene that I had found online, and regularly read and reread it in anticipation of the game. And when I got to play it...just wow. One of my favorite parts was always how the worlds interconnected; it blew my young mind how big and seamless the game world felt.
Rare were truly ahead of their time with that. Whoever heard of open-world gameplay, let alone on the freakin' Nintendo 64? Sure, they were branded a kiddy developer back then, but that's no reason to downplay their contribution to the industry.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Man the riot that will ensue if the Steve the miner gets in over Banjo as the Microsoft rep
Man, I can't stand Minecraft as it is, If Banjo-Kazooie lose out to a souless, lifeless hunk of blocks, I don't know what I will do ,but based from some of the newcomers so far, Ultimate looks to be made for the fans and luckily the bear and bird seem to consistently be a Top 3 or 5 most requested character based on a lot of polls and I have barely even seen any Smash fan demand for minecraft representation, the only good thing I will say about it is that it can be used to bridge a gap between Microsoft and Nintendo to help bring Banjo-Kazooie to Ultimate.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Belmonts over Bomberman was bad enough and I haven't seen a single newcomer this time that I would consider playing as. I'm already feeling a little iffy on this installment so, if Steve gets in over Banjo then I am 100% not buying the game.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey Banjo fans, let’s say that the big BK does get into smash and, more over, the franchise gets the Castylevania treatment with 35 songs. What 35 songs do you want to see Included?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hey Banjo fans, let’s say that the big BK does get into smash and, more over, the franchise gets the Castylevania treatment with 35 songs. What 35 songs do you want to see Included?
Oh man, where do I start ? To be honest I don't even know if the series has that much and overall I pretty much like them all, but my favorites are:

- Spiral Mountain
- Treasure Trove Cove
- Bubblegloop Swamp
- Freezezy Peak
- Rusty Bucket Bay
- Grunty's Final Boss Theme
- Jolly Roger's Lagoon
- Glitter Gulch Mine
- Cloudcuckoo Land
Man, I would just put the entire soundtrack for Kazooie and Tooie in there !!!

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Very pleased with the roster already. Expecting a couple of characters catering more to the Japanese audience before release, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Banjo-Kazooie made it in as DLC to keep the hype train alive after release. Hoping they make it regardless!

If Banjo-Kazooie get in, their stage gimmick needs to be Gruntilda coming up with insulting rhyming couplets for the cast.
Bayonetta? A witch without a broom who cannot rhyme?
Just add me to roster for some real Witch Time!

I'm sure the localization teams would have a blast. Perhaps haiku in Japan?

Wario crawls near
Smells bad even to Grunty —
Wary of the waft

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Very pleased with the roster already. Expecting a couple of characters catering more to the Japanese audience before release, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Banjo-Kazooie made it in as DLC to keep the hype train alive after release. Hoping they make it regardless!
That's a good point now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of the newcomers this time around have been characters I think mainly western audiences really wanted like Ridley and K. Rool. If characters like Issac and Bandanna Waddle Dee got in, I'd be happy with that, as long as eventually B-K get in as well! Personally, I feel the most ideal ultimate roster of newcomers would consist of Ridley, K. Rool, Paper Mario, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Issac, Inklings, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Simon Belmont, Geno, Rayman, and Banjo-Kazooie as straight-up newcomers and Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, Daisy, Isabelle, Chrom, Richter Belmont, and Shadow the Hedgehog as newcomer echo fighters, either as base character or DLC all the way to the end. That would be at least 11 original characters and 7 echo fighters (which if I'm correct are pretty simple to make), bringing 18 newcomers added on to the 63 veterans, making a grand total of a 81 character roster featuring characters from 36 different game franchises! 18 seems like a bit much I know but if this is the ultimate Smash Bros. experience and we've already gotten 8 newcomers revealed since the game was announced, 4 completely new and 4 echo fighters, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai pulled out all the stops to put as many crowd-pleasing newcomers and echo fighters in Smash as possible. I'd be happy with a roster of that size and caliber!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As much I love the entire soundtrack for Kazooie and Tooie, I think the themes from Grunty's Final Boss Fights in both games would be very fitting for Smash and would love to see it on a Top of Grunty's lair stage with thunder strikes in the background(maybe even a stage hazard along with Grunty casting spells on everyone on her broom with her cackling laugh, that would be badass.

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Funny I would end up reading this while listening to a medley of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie tracks. But yeah, like ChunkySlugger72 said, there's just too many awesome songs to pick from already. Needless to say Grant Kirkhope is a true wizard when it came to video game music. But let's see here, I'd go with...

Banjo-Kazooie Main Theme (obviously)
Spiral Mountain
Gruntilda's Lair
Treasure Trove Cove
Gobi's Valley
Mad Monster Mansion
Grunty's Furnace Fun
Gruntilda's Boss Battle Theme
Klungo's Theme
Jinjo Village
Mayahem Temple
Witchyworld / Mr. Patch's Theme
Atlantis (could be rearranged similarly to what was done to Stickerbush Symphony in Brawl)
Hailfire Peaks Fire and / or Ice Side
Terry's Theme
Weldar's Theme
Tower of Tragedy
HAG 1 and Gruntilda Boss Battle Theme

And that's just me being nitpicky about what tracks I believe could fit in well with SSB's overall atmosphere. To say nothing about the tracks I overlooked...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Belmonts over Bomberman was bad enough and I haven't seen a single newcomer this time that I would consider playing as. I'm already feeling a little iffy on this installment so, if Steve gets in over Banjo then I am 100% not buying the game.
I
It would be a total sellout move to choose steve over Banjo-Kazooie seeing how heavily the duo is requested, yeah I understand how big it is and all ,but let's be honest how much of the Smash fan base are actually begging for minecraft in Ultimate? It's usually huge with kids and preteens from what I've seen, not that they can't enjoy Smash too, but Super Smash Bros has been around since 1999 (Banjo-Kazooie '98) about 20 freakin years, a big part of the game is Nintendo history which Banjo-Kazooie was a part of and a large part of the fanbase who are likely veteran players have been there since the N64 or Gamecube era would likely have more of an attachment to classic characters and franchises.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I don’t understand why everyone thinks Minecraft is that iconic. I’m not saying that it wasn’t hugely successful, but it’s dying, and dying fast.

Top Bottom