• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Nintendo is conservative and very strict in their way of doing business, Rareware wasn’t doing business the way Nintendo would like them to do business but sometimes I wonder if they regret their decision...

I doubt it because most of Banjo-Kazooie’s staff left by the time Microsoft bought them. Nintendo made a smart decision by selling a company that had lost its’ strongest cards.
I feel like Nintendo should of really double down and try to fix them up, Retro Studios was in a bad spot until Nintendo took over and guided them, also game studios have turnover all the time and still manage I mean just look at Naughty Dog they have been around forever and keep making hit after hit, I'm sure Nintendo could of could of done the same thing with Rare.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I feel like Nintendo should of really double down and try to fix them up, Retro Studios was in a bad spot until Nintendo took over and guided them, also game studios have turnover all the time and still manage I mean just look at Naughty Dog they have been around forever and keep making hit after hit, I'm sure if Nintendo really cared about Rare they could of done the same thing.
Nintendo cared TOO much about Rare's output. They fell out because Nintendo tried to make them make the games that they set out to make, not wild offshoots like a child-friendly RTS that became a racing game (Diddy Kong Racing), a simple platformer thst became an M rated shooter (Conker) or a pirate adventure that became a single level in a flying bear's collectathon. Stepping in more would have only worsened their relations but letting them do their own thing would mean more fiascos like Dinasaur Planet. The sort of hard to sell mediocrity that Microsoft ended up with.
At least Nintendo were able to slap a fresh coat of paint on it and get something popular, if divisive from the mess.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
While that tweet is a bit of a downer. it doesn't mean Banjo won't be in Smash
or that there won't be a new Banjo game in the future, someone else might be working on it. or Gregg might decide to work on Banjo again eventually.

in other Banjo discussion, a question has been buzzing around in my head today, since Pokemon Trainer is back, transformation characters are possible again.
SHOULD Banjo & Kazooie have a transformation style moveset based on their Split Up gimmick from Tooie? or are they fine together (it's how they're best after all)
so while we can have some discussion on here about that, I also made a poll to see what the overall opinion is.
(I probably included a few too many options, but whatever.)
if you guys have a free minute, feel free to vote for your preferred option

Poll can be found here
To answer your question about separate movesets based on the Tooie Split Up mechanic, I feel that Banjo-Kazooie's charm is because they are a duo and need to work together 95% of the time in order to accomplish tasks. By default this has always made them that much more memorable and unique so I would prefer they stay as a duo were they to be in the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't actively whine if a decision were to be made to split their moveset into two because I'd much rather have them in the game than go without, but I have to admit, I'd definitely raise a quizzical eyebrow.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Nintendo cared TOO much about Rare's output. They fell out because Nintendo tried to make them make the games that they set out to make, not wild offshoots like a child-friendly RTS that became a racing game (Diddy Kong Racing), a simple platformer thst became an M rated shooter (Conker) or a pirate adventure that became a single level in a flying bear's collectathon. Stepping in more would have only worsened their relations but letting them do their own thing would mean more fiascos like Dinasaur Planet. The sort of hard to sell mediocrity that Microsoft ended up with.
At least Nintendo were able to slap a fresh coat of paint on it and get something popular, if divisive from the mess.
It just sucks that it had to turn out that way, it's like not matter what they were screwed and Maybe I'm looking too deep into it ,But it also showed how little consideration Nintendo had for the DK franchise and it's future for not locking up Rare, They were the main driving force behind the series and had DK Racing and a DK 64 sequel in the works during the Gamecube era which I still think could have been solid titles, After the buyout Nintendo had no idea what to do what the franchise and it was stuck in mediocrity and gimmicks for a little over decade until Retro Studios revived the Country series and as much as I love Tropical Freeze, I wish they didn't have to go through all that trouble just to get DK back on track.

Dedicated Studios: (Mario has EAD, Pokemon has Game Freak, Kirby has HAL Laboratory, Donkey Kong had Rare)

Last edited:

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
ah i remember the good game banjo and kazooie it was good and fun when i played this game,with k rool reveal,it's very sure they have big chance to be in smash, i want to see a bear and a bird beating every iconic fighter in smash.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There's still Sin & Punishment and Mischief Makers, seeing as Treasure isn't doing much period these days.
Wasn't Enix involved with Mischeif Makers in some way? They're still big.

It just sucks that it had to turn out that way, it's like not matter what they were screwed and Maybe I'm looking too deep into it ,But it also showed how little consideration Nintendo had for the DK franchise and it's future for not locking up Rare, They were the main driving force behind the series and had DK Racing and a DK 64 sequel in the works which I still think could have been solid titles, After the buyout Nintendo had no idea what to do what the franchise and it was stuck in mediocrity and gimmicks for a little over decade until Retro Studios revived the Country series and as much as I love Tropical Freeze, I wish they didn't have to go through all that trouble just to get DK back on track.

Dedicated Studios: (Mario has EAD, Pokemon has Game Freak, Kirby has HAL Laboratory, Donkey Kong had Rare)
Diddy Kong Racing was never intended to be a DK game and never would have been if Nintendo hadn't stepped in and demanded inclusion of their characters for marketing reasons. Donkey Kong Racing was likely just as much a Nintendo idea and Diddy Kong Pilot (later renamed to Banjo Pilot for copyright reasons after the split) only ever existed because Nintendo wanted a handheld tie-in game to showcase their new link cable and motion controls.

From what I can tell, Rare may have been the force behind the franchise's quality but they weren't the driving force behind production of DK games.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
To answer your question about separate movesets based on the Tooie Split Up mechanic, I feel that Banjo-Kazooie's charm is because they are a duo and need to work together 95% of the time in order to accomplish tasks. By default this has always made them that much more memorable and unique so I would prefer they stay as a duo were they to be in the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't actively whine if a decision were to be made to split their moveset into two because I'd much rather have them in the game than go without, but I have to admit, I'd definitely raise a quizzical eyebrow.
To answer my own question, I feel pretty much the same as you.
while Split Up was a major gimmick in Tooie, they're strongest and at their best when the two of them are united. and being a bear with a bird in his backpack is what they are most known for.
I may be slightly biased since I played Kazooie religiously as a kid. but only got to give Tooie a proper play much more recently. so all the new eggs and the Split Up don't hold much nostalgia for me personally.
I just remember back in the smash 4 speculation days Split Up was bought up often for a special gimmick for them in smash similar to zelda and Shiek. until transformation characters were dropped. but since pokemon trainer shows that they are somewhat back. I figured I'd just see what the general consensus is on if they should split up or not.
If i could alter my poll, I'd add another option for split up to be a sort of summon attack, where you can temporarily have Kazooie act independently at the cost of your recovery moves until you team up again. but that would probably be stupidly broken

At the end of the day though, as long as they get in, I don't care what their moveset is like.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Using split up moves like the Pack Wack and Kazooie's wing attacks, or even Taxi Pack for grabs, would be great to add more Tooie and Backpack representation to their moveset but I would much prefer it to be done without the actual splitting.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
while Split Up was a major gimmick in Tooie, they're strongest and at their best when the two of them are united. and being a bear with a bird in his backpack is what they are most known for.
I may be slightly biased since I played Kazooie religiously as a kid. but only got to give Tooie a proper play much more recently. so all the new eggs and the Split Up don't hold much nostalgia for me personally.
I just remember back in the smash 4 speculation days Split Up was bought up often for a special gimmick for them in smash similar to zelda and Shiek. until transformation characters were dropped. but since pokemon trainer shows that they are somewhat back. I figured I'd just see what the general consensus is on if they should split up or not.
If i could alter my poll, I'd add another option for split up to be a sort of summon attack, where you can temporarily have Kazooie act independently at the cost of your recovery moves until you team up again. but that would probably be stupidly broken

At the end of the day though, as long as they get in, I don't care what their moveset is like.
Yeah I really put some thought and effort in making a potential moveset and didn't have them split up either, not a bad idea though.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The progression of the directs seems to moving in Banjo’s favor. For example:

The first direct focused on Smash’s past. Banjo was once considered for the game during the Melee era.

The second direct (particularly with Shovel Knight’s inclusion) indicates that they are focusing on the Smash Ballot which Banjo was a major player in.

If the next direct reveals new stages, I feel like Banjo’s getting in.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
When it comes to a moveset, How does everyone feel the teamwork should be split percentage wise ? Obviously Kazooie does more of the work in the games with her beak and egg ammunition, but I feel like Banjo provides power, weight and force into some of those moves as well. I was thinking 60 Kazooie/40 Banjo split as I would try to incorporate him a little more so he doesn't look left out.

Last edited:

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
If the bear and bird make the cut, every game reviewer should just award Ultimate 10/10 on the spot. No need to wait till Dec 7th because everyone already knows this game is Sakurai's gift to mankind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I would like to see Split Up myself. Could be one of the biggest elements to help them stand out over other characters (particularly Duck Hunt, which already did introduce the "co-op on a single character model" aspect).

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
OH a split up in the moveset ? that would be cool it would be like 3 characters in 1 like pokemon trainer !

Banjo & Kazooie
Solo Banjo
Solo Kazooie

It would make them a more Unique character ! with 3 movesets! I'm down for having basicly more characters lol that be fine with me if the movesets are good & different from eatch other, what would solo banjo & solo kazooie 's movesets be ? Hmmm?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
OH a split up in the moveset ? that would be cool it would be like 3 characters in 1 like pokemon trainer !

Banjo & Kazooie
Solo Banjo
Solo Kazooie

It would make them a more Unique character ! with 3 movesets! I'm down for having basicly more characters lol that be fine with me if the movesets are good & different from eatch other, what would solo banjo & solo kazooie 's movesets be ? Hmmm?
I think I worded it wrong, What I meant to say is in 1 moveset how many moves should Banjo do and Kazooie do ,but their not seperated, While Kazooie was responsible for more of the moves in the games and would be more of the focus in Smash I don't want all the animations to be just Banjo just holding Kazooie while she does all the work, I want Banjo to do some attacks as well so it looks more like a tag team and that they are really working together I would say 60%-70% should be Kazooie attack animations and Banjo have 30%-40% atack animations that way Banjo still plays a big part and doesn't look left out.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I’d imagine the jab, run, first jump, and down smash would be Banjo, and everything else would be Kazooie. Banjo and Kazooie would combine for the forward smash and side special (gold feathers attack) and while most moves would be the product of Kazooie, Banjo would bring weight to the duo making the two on the heavier half of the roster, but not the heaviest top quarter

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I’d imagine the jab, run, first jump, and down smash would be Banjo, and everything else would be Kazooie. Banjo and Kazooie would combine for the forward smash and side special (gold feathers attack) and while most moves would be the product of Kazooie, Banjo would bring weight to the duo making the two on the heavier half of the roster, but not the heaviest top quarter
I was thinking the same thing too, Example:

Forward Smash: Breegull Bash (Funny and Obvious Pick)

Down Smash: Pack Whack (360 Degree Spin)

Up Smash : An Upward Double Wing Whack followed by a Peck or an Upward Triple Peck.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I have briefly skimmed through some of Gregg’s tweets and he hasn’t said anything to deconfirm the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie, just that he is not working on a game with them at the moment.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I have briefly skimmed through some of Gregg’s tweets and he hasn’t said anything to deconfirm the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie, just that he is not working on a game with them at the moment.
Did he ever comment on Banjo Kazooie in Smash before 4 came out?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I only briefly skimmed through his recent posts on K Rool in Smash. In the reply field a couple of people brought up Banjo in Smash and the only one Gregg commented on, all he said was that he didn’t realize his characters were so popular and he was glad they brought people joy.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Old_King_Coal's_Icon.png Chuffy is spectating the battles of Smash. Would you like Chuffy to pick you up?

Chuffy.png

Where is everyone? All aboard the hype train!

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
We all know what Banjo and Kazooie's side special will be ;)

I'm joking Sakurai please never again

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I support. It probably would've been in the cards a lot earlier if not for the Rare situation.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Really? I'm thinking the run would be carried out by Kazooie's Chicken Legs, while Banjo would roll into his Sumersault out of it for their dash attack.
Jab is obviously Bear Claws and Pack Whack has to fit into the moveset somewhere.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I hope Banjo-Kazooie has moves that showcase their strong teamwork. It would feel wrong seeing them split up.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I decided to replay the three Donkey Kong Country because, well, i don't know, i wanted to give K Rool some energy ? 15 days later, he got announced.

So, since he got confirmed, i'm now re-playing the two Banjo Kazooie N64 games. Who knows, maybe it'll give them some energy... I'm definitely too superstitious :laugh:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
View attachment 158102Chuffy is spectating the battles of Smash. Would you like Chuffy to pick you up?

View attachment 158104
View attachment 158102Chuffy is spectating the battles of Smash. Would you like Chuffy to pick you up?

View attachment 158104
When they make the cut, Let's celebrate by taking the Chuffy to Jolly's Bar for a round of Ginger Beers and Seaman's Surprise !!!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Another thought. Based off of K Rool’s Mii costume, Sakurai sees the N64 era as a retro era. This means he sees Banjo as retro, and you know how the madman likes his retro characters

Eternium

Smash Rookie
If we got Target Smash, a story mode and Banjo-Kazooie in one Smash game, it would easily be the greatest yet. Add me to the supporters!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Target Smash is simply the cherry on top that I usually don’t eat anyway, but hey it makes the overall dish look just that much better. Still I bought the Sundae for the Bananjo

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I love you all! Even if they don’t make it into Smash this time around, just knowing so many people support them, even after years of laying in video game obscurity, and wanting to see them in Smash. I hope Sakurai does hear the masses and realize how amazing it would be to bring them home to Nintendo via Smash, along with other long-awaited and mass-requested characters like Issac, Geno, Dixie Kong, and Rayman!

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We open in a seemingly empty Spiral Hill.

We suddenly see Red (Pokemon Trainer) At the top of of the spiral and shouting orders to Charizard. Charizard is in the middle of an battle in the sky against Ridley. Both are breathing fire and clawing at each other. Ridley suddenly grabs Charizard and mimics the seismic toss and slams him into the ground.

Ridley dives to end him when "GUH-OH-!"

A certain duo Beak Bomb into Ridley and knocks him away from Charizard. Red pulls out his Pokedex but gets an error message. Camera swings up to see Banjo and Kazooie flying in the air and circling Ridley.

BANJO AND KAZOOIE PUZZLE THE COMPETITION

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
We open in a seemingly empty Spiral Hill.

We suddenly see Red (Pokemon Trainer) At the top of of the spiral and shouting orders to Charizard. Charizard is in the middle of an battle in the sky against Ridley. Both are breathing fire and clawing at each other. Ridley suddenly grabs Charizard and mimics the seismic toss and slams him into the ground.

Ridley dives to end him when "GUH-OH-!"

A certain duo Beak Bomb into Ridley and knocks him away from Charizard. Red pulls out his Pokedex but gets an error message. Camera swings up to see Banjo and Kazooie flying in the air and circling Ridley.

BANJO AND KAZOOIE PUZZLE THE COMPETITION
Oh man. Words cannot express how much I love this! Bloody hell, I need to go and have a lie down after that...

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Leading speculator Papa Genos agrees with Source Gaming on no more stages in the base game pointing to them being left there for DLC.

Ironically, I think this points to good signs for two reasons:

1. Sakurai says he does not plan for DLC before completing the game. So why would he leave spots for DLC? If anything we’ll get a DLC screen or an entirely new row.

This points to six more stages, which really boosts our pair’s chances.

2. If there is planned DLC, The is a good sign for the bear and bird as most rumors point to them in as just that, DLC, and this would give more credence to those rumors.

It also makes sense for Nintendo to put them in as DLC, to control the money going to Microsoft.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Leading speculator Papa Genos agrees with Source Gaming on no more stages in the base game pointing to them being left there for DLC.

Ironically, I think this points to good signs for two reasons:

1. Sakurai says he does not plan for DLC before completing the game. So why would he leave spots for DLC? If anything we’ll get a DLC screen or an entirely new row.

This points to six more stages, which really boosts our pair’s chances.

2. If there is planned DLC, The is a good sign for the bear and bird as most rumors point to them in as just that, DLC, and this would give more credence to those rumors.

It also makes sense for Nintendo to put them in as DLC, to control the money going to Microsoft.
Theirs a small part of me that thinks that they won't do DLC or barely any because their already going overboard with the roster and extra content as it is, but then again they would be idiots not to take advantage of it seeing how this game is going to do gangbusters and have a massive install base and at the end of the day it all comes down to business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom