• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh yeah, Banjo-Kazooie's inherent ties to Nintendo (being an actual Nintendo property back in the day) gives them priority over ANYONE else from Microsoft. Banjo-Kazooie, despite being third party, IS a Nintendo icon, and the characters getting in won't be because Banjo-Kazooie itself is an iconic franchise to gaming, but an iconic franchise to Nintendo specifically. That gives it an edge over Crash, over Rayman, over any third party franchise already included in Smash Bros.. So, in my opinion anyway, they'd be the most deserving third party character to be included pretty much ever, already counting those third party characters already in Smash.

Master Chief though, he'd be huge, HUGE. And I don't think he'd be undeserving either. He'd get in for the same reason Metal Gear's Snake and FFVII's Cloud got in, they're gaming icons, and both Master Chief and the Halo franchise are on that same level if not higher. Despite not having much to do with Nintendo, that shouldn't matter, when it comes to Master Chief, just as it came to Snake, Cloud, Pac-Man, Sonic, etc, it's not because of Nintendo, it's because of gaming as a whole. That's not the case for Banjo-Kazooie, but it is the case for Master Chief and Halo. And to me, they're both legitimate reasons to include a character, as they both have been for past characters included in Smash already. And if Microsoft is involved, heck yeah, let's get all three gaming icons, those from Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft, and Halo... Just, yeah, Banjo-Kazooie takes priority, please.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
What if we got Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters with a Banjo Kazooie stage and Master Chief as an Assist Trophy or regular Trophy?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
What if we got Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters with a Banjo Kazooie stage and Master Chief as an Assist Trophy or regular Trophy?
Or, what if we got Banjo-Kazooie as a playable character with a Stage and a Mumbo Assist Trophy, we got a Minecraft Stage with a Creeper Assist Trophy, and we got Master Chief as a DLC Playable Character with a DLC stage.

I think that would be pretty amazing.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
How about we just focus on getting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash by themselves with a stage, an assist trophy, and some trophies? They are all I want for Microsoft representation and are the most important characters from Microsoft to be in Smash.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Master Chief has zero history with Nintendo. At least Final Fantasy started on the NES.

I mean if we got Master Chief, I wouldn’t care too much, but only if Banjo got tons of representation first

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It's be cool if Conker was an assist if Banjo got in, maybe a full character would be stretching it considering his limited game span.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Master Chief has zero history with Nintendo. At least Final Fantasy started on the NES.

I mean if we got Master Chief, I wouldn’t care too much, but only if Banjo got tons of representation first
Dude Halo was going be on the Ds

And no way it wasn’t a mod for anygame it was a port of halo

I don’t think ign covers mods for ds games

https://youtu.be/-StVwe2D39k

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
History with Nintendo shouldn't be a factor with newcomers. So many of the third party characters already included owe very little of their success to Nintendo, and some none at all. Pac-Man is an icon because of the arcade game, Sonic an icon because of the Sega Genesis game, Street Fighter iconic due to the arcade game, Metal Gear Solid is iconic due to a Playstation one game, and same goes for Cloud and FFVII for the Playstation one. I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to have Master Chief on there, when so many characters have very little to do with Nintendo already, at least for why they're icons. And when it comes to Bayonetta, she's more of an adopted child, since now she's kind of a second party franchise for the company.

Mega Man is the only third party character/franchise that can really say they owe it to Nintendo for their success. It started on the NES/Famicom, and grew there. Mega Man is the closest third party newcomer already on the roster to what Banjo-Kazooie could be. But even outside of Nitnendo, Mega Man is an icon... I'm not sure anyone can say that for Banjo-Kazooie... However, kinda like Bayonetta now, Banjo-Kazooie was a 2nd party joint creation by Nintendo and Rare, and was even owned by Nintendo back in the day. Banjo-Kazooie was as much a Nintendo character as say, Isaac from Golden Sun, Chibi Robo, or the Legendary Starfy. Created by a second party studio, but completely Nintendo's. So, yeah, Banjo-Kazooie has closer ties to Nintendo than any other third party character possible at this point.

... Not that it's necessary, but it is an interesting quality.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
So apparently people really want Master Chief in Smash for some reason. After all the talk of Banjo-Kazooie NEVER getting in because they're owned by Microsoft even though they got their start on Nintendo and haven't had a real game under Microsoft in ten years and Halo is a Microsoft/Xbox-exclusive from the beginning and still having titles churned out, now apparently they want the Chief in. I'm all for having high hopes especially since this is the most hope I've had for the bear and bird in Smash in forever, but give me a break. If anyone from Microsoft belongs in Smash, its Banjo-Kazooie before ANYONE else. Before Steve from Minecraft and especially before Master Chief. Hell, even before Sony's Crash or Spyro. End of discussion.
Banjo should get it in before other Microsoft characters. However if Sakurai does get Microsoft's IPs, I can easily see them getting both Banjo and Chief. Honestly if they do, I don't see one coming without the other. Having one third party character per company isn't a rule since Ryu's reveal.

I don't really know why people say Microsoft characters are an impossibility when the head of Xbox said he was okay with Nintendo using one of their characters. The question is if Nintendo would be okay with it.

There are a lot of reasons more people are wanting Chief in Smash
-Phil Spencer saying he is okay with Banjo being in Smash after the ballot and during Ultimates announcement. If he is okay with them being on a rival console I don't see why he wouldn't be okay with Chief
-He is the most iconic character not in Smash, his series is the Star Wars of gaming
-Having the mascot character of competitor console would be the biggest Smash character reveal possible topping the likes of Cloud.
-All third partys with the exception of Bayonetta, are some of the most iconic characters in gaming. Chief easily stands besides the likes of Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Sonic, Solid Snake, Ryu, Pac Man, Mega Man, and Cloud. History with Nintendo isn't a factor.
-Halo stage and Halo music
-Mario has Sonic, Link has Cloud, Samus has the Master Chief.

He is better than other third party characters people request that are neither heavily associated with Nintendo or video game icons.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
If Banjo-Kazooie make it in, then fine, Master Chief can join too. I don't think he'd fit in very well, but I'd play as him. Nowhere near as much as Banjo-Kazooie, but I'd give him a try. I just prefer third parties to have a history with Nintendo. I know its not a rule, but its something that makes sense to me at least. I think my other thing is I hate seeing Banjo being chained up to Halo like, you can have them in, but ONLY if Master Chief tags along. You can't have one without the other. I get so sad that people forget that Banjo-Kazooie were Nintendo-exclusives like Mega Man for the first part of their lives before they got bought out by Microsoft. I wish they had never been sold and maybe we would've had them in Melee and the other Smash games by now as veterans as they should've been from the very beginning!

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Is that like how people are like "I can't imagine Crash being in Smash without Spyro" or something?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Not really.

Neither Spyro nor Crash have much history with Nintendo outside of an occasional port or two.

Banjo was friggin Nintendo All-Star who represents an entire sub genre of gaming popularized on the Nintendo 64. To include Master Chief over Banjo would be an insult.

By the way, this discussion might be mute. Does Microsoft actually own Master Chief? Because Microsoft does own Steve and Banjo

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
All this talk made me want to to go back and play Banjo-Kazooie, and boy if you have day with nothing to do...

If played in one long sitting (6-8 hours) this game really holds up. It is such a tight game that is paced like a masterpiece! Honestly one of the best video games of all time. Top 25 for sure!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
If Banjo-Kazooie make it in, then fine, Master Chief can join too. I don't think he'd fit in very well, but I'd play as him. Nowhere near as much as Banjo-Kazooie, but I'd give him a try. I just prefer third parties to have a history with Nintendo. I know its not a rule, but its something that makes sense to me at least. I think my other thing is I hate seeing Banjo being chained up to Halo like, you can have them in, but ONLY if Master Chief tags along. You can't have one without the other. I get so sad that people forget that Banjo-Kazooie were Nintendo-exclusives like Mega Man for the first part of their lives before they got bought out by Microsoft. I wish they had never been sold and maybe we would've had them in Melee and the other Smash games by now as veterans as they should've been from the very beginning!
As I said Banjo and Kazooie should definitely have priority over any other Microsoft franchise. He was once owned by Nintendo, is heavily associated with Nintendo, and was considered to be playable in Melee

I only took issue when you said that you didn't understand why people are starting to want Master Chief, I just wanted to explain that.

The reason I said I couldn't see one coming without the other is because Banjo was one of the biggest ballot characters, the head of Xbox said he was okay with him being in Smash, he was once owned by Nintendo and is heavily associated with them. But if Sakurai is going to get him, I could easily see him also trying to get Chief. Sakurai likes having the biggest crossover in gaming history and he also likes "holy s***" reveals, having the mascot character of a currently existing rival console would be huge. They don't have to come together, I said I just can't see one coming in without the other if Nintendo is okay with having Microsoft characters.

I don't think people have forgotten that Banjo Kazooie was once just as Nintendo as Pikachu or Ness. Rare is hugely associated with the Nintendo 64 era and 3D platformers. People always lament how Microsoft does nothing with them and that they should have stayed with Nintendo. Not to mention that he was definitely in the top 10 of most requested ballot characters.

Melee actually used the land mine (it was modeled after Goldeneye 007 in the international release, modeled after Perfect Dark in Japan) and the cloaking device from Perfect Dark. The trophies for them didn't say what games they were from in the International release ( I think it said TOP SECRET), likely because they were in the process of being bought by Microsoft. And I remember in an interview talking about the development of Melee, he mentioned that he couldn't get Banjo and Kazooie due to copyright reasons.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The reason I said I couldn't see one coming without the other is because Banjo was one of the biggest ballot characters, the head of Xbox said he was okay with him being in Smash, he was once owned by Nintendo and is heavily associated with them. But if Sakurai is going to get him, I could easily see him also trying to get Chief. Sakurai likes having the biggest crossover in gaming history and he also likes "holy s***" reveals, having the mascot character of a currently existing rival console would be huge. They don't have to come together, I said I just can't see one coming in without the other if Nintendo is okay with having Microsoft characters.
The only problem about the "Holy s***" quality of Master Chief, is that after Banjo-Kazooie is revealed, Microsoft will be involved because of it, and Master Chief would almost become predictable at that point, instead of very surprising... Because you know once everybody sees that 'MICROSOFT' trademark added to the end of that Banjo-Kazooie reveal trailer (if and when it happens) that conversations will IMMEDIATELY start up about Master Chief joining the roster. I mean, he would still be surprising, obviously, but it'd be like how we got Ryu after Mega Man, and that's not nearly as shocking as getting Cloud out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody! Can I get added to the list of supporters too, please? I forgot to ask when I was part of the conversation weeks ago.

I remember that before E3 I was in the Ridley thread asking which other character would calm the dissapointment in case Ridley wouldn't make it and for me and for some other people it was our dear Bear and Bird combo. These guys were there in my first gaming days with Banjo-Tooie (yes I am in the minority, even though I played later Banjo-Kazooie, for me it doesn't top the different worlds, bosses and techniques Banjo Tooie had. God, I remember it took me literally years to collect 90 jiggies because I couldn't beat the freaking Canary in Cloud-Cuckooland and I had no idea how to reach the icy train station. Good old days without internet.

Anyways, I have been recently reading more and more leaks with BK in them. One of the most "credible" being the one of the ESRB guy that described that one of BK's move was pooping eggs and thus influencing the rating of the game. I always do this, with each new fake leak that includes BK I can't help to get more and more optimistic but hey I felt the same thing for Ridley and look where we are now.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Canary Mary for Smash as an assist! She appears and challenges all fighters to a race! You then have to tap A super fast for like 5 minutes but to no avail as you lose, not just just a stock, but the whole damn match.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hey everybody! Can I get added to the list of supporters too, please? I forgot to ask when I was part of the conversation weeks ago.

I remember that before E3 I was in the Ridley thread asking which other character would calm the dissapointment in case Ridley wouldn't make it and for me and for some other people it was our dear Bear and Bird combo. These guys were there in my first gaming days with Banjo-Tooie (yes I am in the minority, even though I played later Banjo-Kazooie, for me it doesn't top the different worlds, bosses and techniques Banjo Tooie had. God, I remember it took me literally years to collect 90 jiggies because I couldn't beat the freaking Canary in Cloud-Cuckooland and I had no idea how to reach the icy train station. Good old days without internet.

Anyways, I have been recently reading more and more leaks with BK in them. One of the most "credible" being the one of the ESRB guy that described that one of BK's move was pooping eggs and thus influencing the rating of the game. I always do this, with each new fake leak that includes BK I can't help to get more and more optimistic but hey I felt the same thing for Ridley and look where we are now.
I too loved Banjo-Tooie a lot more than Banjo-Kazooie. I love both equally, of course, but when Banjo-Tooie came out, it improved upon everything that made the first game great in my opinion. If they got in to Smash, I would hope they'd have as many of their moves from both games as possible. The more people that join this little group, the more hope I have that the only characters I ever truly wanted would finally make it after years of disappointment, and that maybe this WILL be the ULTIMATE Smash.

As for the whole Master Chief thing, I feel like if he got in, it would take away from the triumphant victory of Banjo-Kazooie finally returning home to where they belong after all these years. That's my other problem with him possibly getting in. But like I said, as long as Banjo-Kazooie get in, I don't care who else gets in.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Not really.

Neither Spyro nor Crash have much history with Nintendo outside of an occasional port or two.

Banjo was friggin Nintendo All-Star who represents an entire sub genre of gaming popularized on the Nintendo 64. To include Master Chief over Banjo would be an insult.

By the way, this discussion might be mute. Does Microsoft actually own Master Chief? Because Microsoft does own Steve and Banjo
I believe BUNGIE owns Master Chef - they just happen to be using Microsoft as their platform. Microsoft does or at least have something vested into the Halo Series. Though its ultimately Bungie's character. I don't know how all that would work contract wise if Master Chef would come to Smash. Im sure Microsoft would get in the way. I don't see Banjo-Kazooie being a problem since its not really a hot character for them (Microsoft).

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
On the Banjo-Kazooie vs Tooie debate, while I feel the former is better, Tooie is still a perfect sequel

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I love banjo kazooie & banjo tooie equally as there philosophy is different one being more open & the other more contained (altho tooie had boss replays & multiplayer mode my fave being the FPS game mode )

Hodin

Smash Apprentice

Do you have a link to the leak?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I believe BUNGIE owns Master Chef - they just happen to be using Microsoft as their platform. Microsoft does or at least have something vested into the Halo Series. Though its ultimately Bungie's character. I don't know how all that would work contract wise if Master Chef would come to Smash. Im sure Microsoft would get in the way. I don't see Banjo-Kazooie being a problem since its not really a hot character for them (Microsoft).
Microsoft owns the halo ip what includes Master Chief, so tell me who owns the chief?

But when halo and dead of alive did a crossover dead or alive didn’t get the chief just someone in similar armour to chief.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
How about we get Banjo, Crash, Spyro and Master Chief. That would be pretty Ultimate to me..
Banjo & Kazooie before any of them. They need this way more than any of them and they have a much more integral history with Nintendo than any of them, Crash & Spyro have remastered trilogies either already out or coming and Halo is a regularly popular series with regular installments. Afterwards, sure, they can be in. If we did get any other third party characters other than Banjo & Kazooie though, I'd personally prefer Simon Belmont & Rayman. They have more history with Nintendo and I think they'd be pretty unique characters too. Plus they'd balance the 'cartoony' third party characters (Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, & Banjo-Kazooie) and the more realistic/mature third party characters (Snake, Simon Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, & Bayonetta)

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
...they'd balance the 'cartoony' third party characters (Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, & Banjo-Kazooie) and the more realistic/mature third party characters (Snake, Simon Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, & Bayonetta)
Snake and, to a lesser degree, Bayonetta don't belong in Smash. Cartoony is what the series does and they push too hard in the opposite direction.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I don’t feel as though Samus is particularly cartoony, but yeah, Snake took it to new levels. But in this game he fits.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Banjo & Kazooie before any of them. They need this way more than any of them and they have a much more integral history with Nintendo than any of them, Crash & Spyro have remastered trilogies either already out or coming and Halo is a regularly popular series with regular installments. Afterwards, sure, they can be in. If we did get any other third party characters other than Banjo & Kazooie though, I'd personally prefer Simon Belmont & Rayman. They have more history with Nintendo and I think they'd be pretty unique characters too. Plus they'd balance the 'cartoony' third party characters (Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, & Banjo-Kazooie) and the more realistic/mature third party characters (Snake, Simon Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, & Bayonetta)
Rayman because he was originally designed for SNES and had that Wii U deal?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Rayman is an okay choice for me, but he will just be the poor man’s Banjo Kazooie. With Rayman, yeah he has sheer more quantity of games with Nintendo and spans a longer time frame, but Banjo represents the late 90s era for Nintendo better than any other character.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Rayman is an okay choice for me, but he will just be the poor man’s Banjo Kazooie. With Rayman, yeah he has sheer more quantity of games with Nintendo and spans a longer time frame, but Banjo represents the late 90s era for Nintendo better than any other character.
Agreed, but I'd much rather have him in than either Crash or Spyro. Those two don't do a thing for me, honestly.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Crash would be interesting in a way Sonic was to a lesser degree, but I have zero interest in Spyro

Top Bottom