• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Simon Belmont hasn't really been in any games lately to my knowledge, yet here we are. Nothing short of Nintendo or Microsoft coming out via official venue saying that Banjo-Kazooie will not be DLC is going to have me throw in the towel. Am I expecting them to be? Nah. But there's no way I'm going to completely dismiss the possibility.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Simon Belmont hasn't really been in any games lately to my knowledge, yet here we are. Nothing short of Nintendo or Microsoft coming out via official venue saying that Banjo-Kazooie will not be DLC is going to have me throw in the towel. Am I expecting them to be? Nah. But there's no way I'm going to completely dismiss the possibility.
This is where I am.

Verge still hasn’t confirmed Steve and that is key.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Verge still hasn’t confirmed Steve and that is key.
Not saying anyone in particular is but I really hope people aren't taking Verge's claims as gospel. I know his track record is astonishing, but there should always be some room left for doubt.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The day after the Direct dropped I was inclined to believe that Vergeben and Hitagi were onto something, but nearly 2 weeks later with seemingly less certainty than before, I've personally stopped believing all leaks as facts. I've been following both of them on GameFAQs / Reddit just to see what they're discussing, but I've stopped putting definitive trust into them.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo or Steve, I think one of them must be in if not both. "Muh western company" is a big point against both, but after seeing the Detective Pikachu movie makes me think it really isn't an issue at all. I know Pokemon Company and Nintendo are separate entities, but both have historically been know to have huge sticks up their asses when cooperating with others in the past few years, especially Americans.

We now live in a timeline where Pokemon Company let Hollywood make a Pokemon movie where Pikachu says "Oh my God" and Mr. Mime basically tells Pikachu to shove it, working with Microsoft for Smash DLC is entirely within the realm of possibility. It may sound like apples to oranges, but the two companies operate pretty similarly. The only problem now is worrying about Banjo getting in along with or instead of Steve.

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
No N64 Mini (soon) doesn't mean much to me. The mini consoles are a whole different department than Smash Bros is. I don't think this lowers or increases Banjo's chances in any way. Actually I'm glad it's not planned yet, because a while ago I read about a "leak" that claimed to know the games, and there were no Rare titles on it. So that's fake too. Hope actually returned a bit if you look at it like that.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
They didn't denie it, But weren't they hush about the SNES well after the NES came out even though it was inevitable and everyone saw it coming? There was trademarks before it's reveal just like what's going on with the N64 at the moment.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I feel like we won't really have a good idea about what kind of characters are in until we get at least the first Fighter Pass character is revealed...which may not happen until at least early next year.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I feel like we won't really have a good idea about what kind of characters are in until we get at least the first Fighter Pass character is revealed...which may not happen until at least early next year.
There might be a possibility of some kind of teaser / first reveal at The Game Awards, but I think that'd only be the case if it was used in relation to something else that's being promoted or shown. I suspect we probably will get the first announcement closer to when Piranha Plant is done, personally.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
There might be a possibility of some kind of teaser / first reveal at The Game Awards, but I think that'd only be the case if it was used in relation to something else that's being promoted or shown. I suspect we probably will get the first announcement closer to when Piranha Plant is done, personally.
To be honest, while it is possible that something could be revealed there, I personally wouldn't expect anything major. I'd love to be wrong, but that's just my feeling right now, especially since I don't recall Nintendo ever doing any real big reveals at the show.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I don't buy what Reggie is saying, There is always miscommunication with Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Japan (It's always their call), Remember when Reggie said before the Switch launched and said there wouldn't be any friend codes?
I agree that Nintendo Japan doesn't keep Nintendo America up to date on many things and they don't really care about what they think for decisions about their company. That said, if the N64 classic/mini were to be coming next year, Reggie would have to know. He wouldn't have any say in it, but he'd have to know about it, to plan the marketing for the next year I assume. Like, with those words, if we ever get a N64 mini, I don't expect it any sooner than december 2019. But that's just a guess, I could be wrong, of course.

To be honest, while it is possible that something could be revealed there, I personally wouldn't expect anything major. I'd love to be wrong, but that's just my feeling right now, especially since I don't recall Nintendo ever doing any real big reveals at the show.
Well, Nintendo did show the BOTW first gameplay trailer at TGA, when it was their biggest upcoming game then. I'm pretty sure they'd have to acknowledge Smash somehow, especially because it comes out the following day. Reggie telling people how excited they are because the game is releasing TOMORROW is something I expect. Which doesn't necessarily mean a Smash reveal there, but they'll have to talk about it for sure.

For Nintendo at the TGA I only expect a Bayonetta 3 trailer. Bayonetta is kind of a mature game and I feel like they'd rather show it on a show like this instead of on a Direct that they'd have to put age restriction warning ratings in.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The whole Microsoft Steve thing

There’s one hint your all not thinking off

Couldn’t the Minecraft content just be some spirits?
Yeah, people have entertained the idea that Minecraft could just be Spirits, but the main defense for that is that they probably would have showed a major 3rd party like Minecraft / Microsoft during the final Smash direct. That's not to say it's impossible, but if Nintendo worked with Microsoft to get them in the base game, they almost certainly would have shown up in the Direct.

Now, I have seen some rumors that Spirits and Game Modes might be added for free down the line as part of Nintendo's ongoing support for the game, which seems like a good time to add stuff like that, but I haven't found a credible source worth linking.

Do you know something about this that we don't? Haha.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a fair expectation. The last time I watched the TGA, I didn't get much out of it beyond Psychonauts and Shaq Fu sequel announcements.

Although the fact that the Best Shooter award went to a game that actually deserved it was pretty cool. :ultinkling:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
so I know the banjo plush was pushed to next year what about the totaku figure ? when is that out ?

Hmmm Nintendo traidmarked banjo kazooie ? & there is no N64 mini plans ? why would they do that ? is them doing that really a thing ?

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Nintendo didn't renew the trademark for Banjo Kazooie, they're just listed as a previous owner. Rare's still in complete ownership of Banjo

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
And I mean no disrespect by this, but ChrisLax puts out all sorts of videos and misquotes lots of things. Don't get me wrong, anyone who has a strong feeling for Banjo is a friend in my eyes, but he isn't super reassuring.
Yeah ChrisLax basically posts any rumors or leaks out there to get hits. He usually puts out a video every day (sometimes multiple). Sometimes I wonder if these guys have jobs.

I agree with most on here that his chances are likely very weak. Steve makes more sense. He appeals to the younger (future) generation of gamers. Banjo would be loved by the Vets but we are getting older now and we are not the future.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't really buy that Reggie is lying or misinformed about there being no N64 classic. I would be more inclined to think it was the case if this was just some rando on Nintendo's German Twitter or something. But saying Reggie of all people is being kept in the dark or is laying just feels like the typical knee jerk denial when things are looking glum. Same thing happened when it was looking like Ken and Incenroar were our last two fighters.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The one thing that Banjo has going for him is aesthetically he probably appeals to younger audiences too. I feel that he has a friendly look to him and also seems cool at the same time. Who doesn't like animals, after all?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I don't really buy that Reggie is lying or misinformed about there being no N64 classic. I would be more inclined to think it was the case if this was just some rando on Nintendo's German Twitter or something. But saying Reggie of all people is being kept in the dark or is laying just feels like the typical knee jerk denial when things are looking glum. Same thing happened when it was looking like Ken and Incenroar were our last two fighters.
I'm with you. If someone from an official front like Reggie says that an N64 Classic isn't coming soon, I'm going to believe an N64 Classic isn't coming.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The thing that really annoys me the most about steve potentialy joining Super Smash Bros is that Minecraft is already as big enough as it is, Does it really need that much more exposure? Kids do Youtube videos about it, a lot of merchandise, It's on every console even mobile and tablets, Not being in Smash won't affect Minecraft as a franchise, Not to mention that it doesn't seem like their fanbase doesn't really overlap much with the Smash fanbase, I assume most fans/kids of Minecraft will see steve in Smash and be like "oh cool" for like 5 minutes and then go back to their "Lets Plays" or whatever the hell it is that they do. While Smash is approachable, It seems like most kids these days are more into world building and shooting things then fighting games too. Also most of Minecrafts fanbase probably don't even give a damn about Super Smash Bros seeing how that a majority of them play on other devices that aren't Nintendo's and would have a larger install base over other systems if that was the case.

Unlike Steve, Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Bros can potentially be "Make or Break" for the future of the franchise and can really use that roster spot a lot more for a potential revival, most fans of the franchise are Nintendo fans who are also fans of Super Smash Bros who's hardcore fanbase is mostly older gamers who been playing for nearly 20 years and who probably don't give a crap about Minecraft, It's no secret how heavily demanded and been said to death on how perfect this duo is for Super Smash Bros and how they were pretty much robbed of a spot on the roster if it wasn't for the buyout, If something can really be worked out then it would truly be groundbreaking and the ultimate redemption for the bear and bird, Getting a 3rd Party Character is one thing ,But snagging a "Competitors" 1st Party Character to crossover (Who used to be part of Nintendo's own cast which makes it even more special) would be a Super Smash Bros and video game industry first and what better way to welcome their grand return on a Nintendo console after all these years on the biggest stage of them all that is Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
Yeah, Steve wouldn't be groundbreaking like Pac Man, Sonic, Cloud, or Snake, given that minecraft is on every device in existence.
my criteria for third parties which is based on Sakurai's criteria
1. Be one of the biggest icons in gaming whose franchise carries game history (Cloud/Final Fantasy, Snake/Metal Gear, Sonic/Sega, Pac Man with arcade gaming)
or
2. Be so close to Nintendo that you are/were practically Nintendo. Like having multiple titles be exclusive for more than a generation so people associate the franchise with Nintendo. (Bayonetta and Banjo/Kazooie)
3. Both (Mega Man, Ryu with Street Fighter, Simon with Castelvania,

He doesn't fit the second point because Minecraft is on every device and is more associated with PC gaming, Steve fits the first one, he is one of gamings biggest icons with his game being the second best selling of all time. But Minecraft I don't know, Minecraft doesn't feel as historic like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, or Street Fighter.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
reggie always says this BS PR speak remember when he said that about restocking the NES mini or if there would ever be a SNES mini ? he said the same BS lol

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Can you get me a source for Reggie saying there isn't going to be an SNES Mini?
Also they didn't lie about restocking NES Classics. They did that. In fact I saw both NES and SNES classics in my local wal-mart just last week.
Even if you were talking about the initial first wave, they still did that, but it still got scalped to hell.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
oh god I have to look for the source about the SNES mini & orignaly he said after the 1st holiday of the NES mini that nintendo had no idea it would be that popular & didn't think nintendo fans would buy it when fans have the wii & wiiu & 3DS VC that they were going for a diffrent market & it was only a limited time thing & that they would not be restocking the NES mini (of course the demand was to big & they brought it back) I remeber being pissed reading that as I missed out on the NES mini & was mad they had no intention of making anymore

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I actually got an NES Mini day one, and I too was angry about them saying they were going to be limited time. I'm kinda passionate about Retro games, I wanted other people to have a chance to play them, and I think Nintendo has been making awful decisions regarding retro games lately, which is baffling because they were such camps back with the Wii Shop Channel, which is how I even got into retro games to begin with... If they eventually did put out an N64 classic I have half a mind to boycott it but I know my willpower is to weak to do that. Especially if they managed to get Banjo Kazooie onto it, which I have my doubts about.

Only thing I recall about the SNES Mini is that it was still hard to find, but not as hard to find as the NES, but only at first. Now they're about as common as Super Mario series Amiibo.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
DLC will be released all through 2019 till 2020 just because the N64 classic isn't in the pipeline now doesn't mean ever... Banjo and the N64 classic can come along anytime between now and then. This is by far not the end of Banjo it just mean's we may have to wait longer...

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
And if we're being honest, Banjo could show up in Smash without the N64 Classic ever being a thing. K.Rool and Simon showed up, both not having been in any games recently, the prior making it because of the ballot and fan support. It might not be the same scenario, but Banjo has been showing up in popular votes and around social media, hopefully Nintendo took some notice one way or another.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The one thing that Banjo has going for him is aesthetically he probably appeals to younger audiences too. I feel that he has a friendly look to him and also seems cool at the same time. Who doesn't like animals, after all?
That's why I love them as characters, they are fun, wacky and have loads of personality, then again I'm from the older generation of gamers who saw cartoon platformers (Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro) as the apex genre of video games, So from my point of view it's kind of sad that some gamers and kids probably see some of these characters for "babies" and would rather play as a generic CoD soldier, Fortnite character and an ugly souless, lifeless hunk of blocks, But hey that's just me.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Have we reached a point where aesthetics is our leg to stand on....?

1542336765354.png

Also, this piece here where Reggie doubles-down on character packs only, which rules out the possibility of Minecraft being a Mii costume

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
what about free content updates for smash ? I feel with only around half of switch users paying for online they might want to entice people to buy online with free smash content maybe ? (just give is native part/voice chat & people will buy it lol)

if there is no banjo on the N64 mini we can always mod & hack him on it like so many did to NES & SNES minis....if there are any rom sites left that is .......damn 12 mill is a lot of money nintendo!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, Steve wouldn't be groundbreaking like Pac Man, Sonic, Cloud, or Snake, given that minecraft is on every device in existence.
my criteria for third parties which is based on Sakurai's criteria
1. Be one of the biggest icons in gaming whose franchise carries game history (Cloud/Final Fantasy, Snake/Metal Gear, Sonic/Sega, Pac Man with arcade gaming)
or
2. Be so close to Nintendo that you are/were practically Nintendo. Like having multiple titles be exclusive for more than a generation so people associate the franchise with Nintendo. (Bayonetta and Banjo/Kazooie)
3. Both (Mega Man, Ryu with Street Fighter, Simon with Castelvania,

He doesn't fit the second point because Minecraft is on every device and is more associated with PC gaming, Steve fits the first one, he is one of gamings biggest icons with his game being the second best selling of all time. But Minecraft I don't know, Minecraft doesn't feel as historic like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, or Street Fighter.
Ryu close to Nintendo? He was on Sega Genesis, Arcades, etc. He wasn't limited to just Nintendo.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Ryu close to Nintendo? He was on Sega Genesis, Arcades, etc. He wasn't limited to just Nintendo.
True, he should probably go in category number 1. My thought process had a lot to do with Street Fighter II in the SNES era, it was on Sega, but was more popular on the SNES. But it wasn't exclusive and was only somewhat associated with Nintendo in that era due to that, so it doesn't fit category 2

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think with Street Fighter being more toned down than Mortal Kombat, the game became more associated with the family friendly Nintendo

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Something that's been rattling around in the back of my head since the last Direct with the DLC is the fact that they've confirmed 5 brand-new, non-Echo Fighter characters with their own stage and music. That to me seems to indicate new playable universes added to Smash, such as those of third party characters. Until the DLC comes out and they're unconfirmed otherwise, that's a strong point in favor towards Banjo & Kazooie, the undisputed champion of unclaimed third-party characters. Who else could bring in their own stage and especially their own music? Before the deconfirmation in the Direct, Issac, Geno (although he's still kinda up in the air in my opinion), Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, & Banjo & Kazooie could all have been contenders for that DLC. They all have their own universes (unless you count Geno as a Mario character, and he could easily bring a RPG stage and music with him), and they're all very unique characters. It would be nice to see Issac upgrade to a playable character, but that's sadly a faraway wish.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Something that's been rattling around in the back of my head since the last Direct with the DLC is the fact that they've confirmed 5 brand-new, non-Echo Fighter characters with their own stage and music. That to me seems to indicate new playable universes added to Smash, such as those of third party characters. Until the DLC comes out and they're unconfirmed otherwise, that's a strong point in favor towards Banjo & Kazooie, the undisputed champion of unclaimed third-party characters. Who else could bring in their own stage and especially their own music? Before the deconfirmation in the Direct, Issac, Geno (although he's still kinda up in the air in my opinion), Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, & Banjo & Kazooie could all have been contenders for that DLC. They all have their own universes (unless you count Geno as a Mario character, and he could easily bring a RPG stage and music with him), and they're all very unique characters. It would be nice to see Issac upgrade to a playable character, but that's sadly a faraway wish.
With that logic I’ll guess the choices would be among these...
Banjo & kazooie
Geno
Chorus kids (or another rhythm heaven rep)
Mach Rider (or excite bike)
Minecraft Steve (as much as it pains me to say it)
DQ rep
Sora
Shantae (Many people may doubt her but with how much nindies have been advertised I believe there may be something there)
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

I’m going to keep ATs off the table.

Last edited:
Top Bottom