• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
While it's no Banjo, I actually wouldn't mind a battletoad getting into smash, the moveset potential is there. Also, if the new Battletoads does well, it might actually open the door for another Banjo/Conker project as well, as it would show that Rare's old ips are still viable.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Yo! what if we get King Boo as DLC to promote LM3 on switch ?
YOO, he is one of my most wanted and he could have a DownB special where he becomes invisible for like 2 seconds or sth.
But I just want to see Banjo first, then King Boo and then I don't care who else joins except for KataWHO? or FE rep

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
YOO, he is one of my most wanted and he could have a DownB special where he becomes invisible for like 2 seconds or sth.
But I just want to see Banjo first, then King Boo and then I don't care who else joins except for KataWHO? or FE rep
Well, you'll be pleased to find out that Katalina is no longer being considered, per Hitagi. https://www.reddit.com/user/Senjoug.../just_a_quick_update_not_answering_questions/ Big surprise. How the heck do you make a mistake about a leak from the *wrong* game? *sigh*

Quote Hitagi: "I made a mistake with Katalina, thinking she was confirmed, and at this point, a lot of things are pointing to the deal not being about smash, but something more than that now. "

Honestly part of me isn't even expecting Steve now.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Battletoads would make an awesome addition to Super Smash Bros and just like Banjo-Kazooie they would have probably already been in the roster if it wasn't for the buyout, Rash worked out really well in Killer Instinct too, Their Smash attacks could be their exaggerated giant fist, big boot, etc, Pimple and Zitz could be echo fighters, Their Battletoads logo is perfect for their HUD percentage and franchise/ series icon. They would be a lot of fun to play as and are perfect for Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
lmaoing @ "Other than that, if you don't like what I say, you're also probably questioning DasVergeben too."
Sure thing, buddy.
As much as I'm not fond of Verge, I don't think he'll be happy hearing that his contact has put him under the bus.

Battletoads would make an awesome addition to Super Smash Bros and just like Banjo-Kazooie they would have probably already been in the roster if it wasn't for the buyout, Rash worked out really well in Killer Instinct too, Their Smash attacks could be their exaggerated giant fist, big boot, etc, Pimple and Zitz could be echo fighters, Their Battletoads logo is perfect for their HUD percentage and franchise/ series icon. They would be a lot of fun to play as and are perfect for Super Smash Bros.
I think Pimple and Zitz can also work as alts, seeing as they initially started out having similar skillsets in their own series.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Should we be concerned that Battletoss made it into Ready Player One, yet Banjo Kazooie didn’t?

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I really hope Papa Geno’s source is right about Banjo. I so badly want to see him show up at the game awards with the N64 mini.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I really hope Papa Geno’s source is right about Banjo. I so badly want to see him show up at the game awards with the N64 mini.
We're all right there with you! If they don't make it but something else Microsoft does, at least we can hope for the future. It's a shame that Nintendo lost out on their rights way back when, I think they could have flourished on a Nintendo console instead of getting pushed to the side on XBox. =/

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Been seeing more and more people come out in favor of Steve

Guys, just face the facts that it's over. There's no reality where both of them get in, it's one or the other

"Let's see, do we put in the niche character that will only make a few people happy but a casual audience may not recognize....Ooooor do we put in the character practically EVERYONE in the world recognizes and guarantees an overall larger sales percentage! Sure, that small group might be upset, but the profit we'd gain would outweigh the backlash!"

JonSmash

Smash Ace
that would be nintendo prioratising money over there rich history & banjo was in the TOP 3 to 5 most wanted characters so people would pay for him as DLC. Plus I doubt Minecraft fans would buy smash B/C of steve unless its a skin in minecraft itself or fortnight kids don't care lol

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
That doesn't even make sense, because a lot of Smash fans do not like Steve, and if he gets in and Banjo does not, a lot of people just wouldn't buy the DLC. There will be bigger backlash than Corrin.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah I won't buy steve without banjo ! (I'm only getting piranha plant B/C he is free) they NEED fan favorite characters that we the fans wana buy

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
That doesn't even make sense, because a lot of Smash fans do not like Steve, and if he gets in and Banjo does not, a lot of people just wouldn't buy the DLC. There will be bigger backlash than Corrin.
Why do you think they're trying to sell as many DLC passes as they can on blind faith before they have to reveal them?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

Guys, just face the facts that it's over. There's no reality where both of them get in, it's one or the other

"Let's see, do we put in the niche character that will only make a few people happy but a casual audience may not recognize....Ooooor do we put in the character practically EVERYONE in the world recognizes and guarantees an overall larger sales percentage! Sure, that small group might be upset, but the profit we'd gain would outweigh the backlash!"
I'm not saying Steve doesn't have a better chance than Banjo, but there's no reason to give up at this point. I mean it's literally just waiting to see what comes out as DLC. If they do, they do. *shrug*. And there's no real reason they both couldn't be released. There's no set of rules that says the DLC is coming from all different parties.

I'm not saying I'm feeling great about their chances, but we've sorta knew that for, well, basically ever.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I will wait and find out if at the end if they do, I'm not gonna lie as much as I dislike Minecraft their chances have gradually have gained steam the past couple of months and wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went with them for financial reasons instead of tossing a bone to Banjo-Kazooie and showing them some respect, I know it's a business ,But it would be nice to see a giant corporation stand up for the little guy (Banjo-Kazooie) instead of always going for the big bucks.(Minecraft)

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Banjo would get people hyped and buy into the fighters pass, but he’d need to be announced first. Also he would need his game on an N64 classic

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The thing that really annoys me the most about steve potentialy joining Super Smash Bros is that Minecraft is already as big enough as it is, Does it really need that much more exposure? Kids do Youtube videos about it, a lot of merchandise, It's on every console even mobile and tablets, Not being in Smash won't affect Minecraft as a franchise, Not to mention that it doesn't seem like their fanbase doesn't really overlap much with the Smash fanbase, I assume most fans/kids of Minecraft will see steve in Smash and be like "oh cool" for like 5 minutes and then go back to their "Lets Plays" or whatever the hell it is that they do. While Smash is approachable, It seems like most kids these days are more into world building and shooting things then fighting games too. Also most of Minecrafts fanbase probably don't even give a damn about Super Smash Bros seeing how that a majority of them play on other devices that aren't Nintendo's and would have a larger install base over other systems if that was the case.

Unlike Steve, Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Bros can potentially be "Make or Break" for the future of the franchise and can really use that roster spot a lot more for a potential revival, most fans of the franchise are Nintendo fans who are also fans of Super Smash Bros who's hardcore fanbase is mostly older gamers who been playing for nearly 20 years and who probably don't give a crap about Minecraft, It's no secret how heavily demanded and been said to death on how perfect this duo is for Super Smash Bros and how they were pretty much robbed of a spot on the roster if it wasn't for the buyout, If something can really be worked out then it would truly be groundbreaking and the ultimate redemption for the bear and bird, Getting a 3rd Party Character is one thing ,But snagging a "Competitors" 1st Party Character to crossover (Who used to be part of Nintendo's own cast which makes it even more special) would be a Super Smash Bros and video game industry first and what better way to welcome their grand return on a Nintendo console after all these years on the biggest stage of them all that is Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
This is the kind of optimism we need! I know some people are losing faith because of how absolutely sure sounding leakers like Hitagi are towards Steve, and people are following them because of their record, but imho it's too early to completely buy into it. Sources can be wrong, and he has admitted that Katalina, who he seemed very sure of initially, was a misunderstanding.

Again, I'm not saying Steve / Minecraft doesn't have a better chance than Banjo, but in my honest opinion, it's too early to give up hope for the bear and the bird. I think the biggest problems (and ones that we'll probably never find out about) is the actual level of interest of a couple things:
  • How much Nintendo wants them in Smash, over something more recognizable today like Minecraft.
  • If Rare even wants to keep Banjo-Kazooie alive, outside of small cameos here and there.
  • If Nintendo and Microsoft / Rare tried to work out a deal and it just didn't work out for whatever reason.
We at least know, if we take at face value, that Phil Spencer from Microsoft is open to them coming to Smash, but we unfortunately don't know anything beyond that. I do think that what ChunkySlugger72 said above is true; they'd likely be among first DLC announced, or possibly the very last. That'd be great if they were the first!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Thing is, I don’t think Nintendo cares about making Banjo a thing anymore
Yeah, that's true as well. They probably realize that even if they get them in Smash, the chances of them being involved in any sort of reboot or franchise revival is probably zero, unless Rare has a huge change of heart. (Which wouldn't financially make sense for anyone, really.)

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Thing is, I don’t think Nintendo cares about making Banjo a thing anymore
That's my biggest worry and likely outcome, If Nintendo gave a damn about Banjo-Kazooie (And to a lesser extent Donkey Kong at the time) then they would have bought out Rare in the first place.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah its game over Its not guna happen there not even doing an N64 classic :/

Nintendo only cares about NES & SNES era of games witch is why simon belmont is the new 3rd party rep in smash (good new for geno maybe tho)

Banjo is not happaning

Who's to say is being genuine ? he keeps talking about a "rare revival" & we got KI made by not rare, rare replay & a new battle toads being made by not rare & for there flag ship iconic IP they just got like 5 peices of merch for there 20th anniversary & nothing but sea of theifs shilling NONSTOP! I don't think they REALLY care at all they haven't done anything to show it

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Well, if the N64 Classic isn't a thing on the horizon, that does give Nintendo less incentive to promote Banjo-Kazooie.

I guess the one thing we can hold onto is Phil Spencer's interest of the duo in Smash. If that influence is enough or caused any action to become of it, guess we'll find out.
Phil Spencer's word is not gospel

He will say anything that will promote one of his IPs. In an alternate timeline people could have been backing Viva Pinata for Smash and he would have said "Oh yeah! That would be perfect for Smash Bros!"

No N64 mini is the nail in the coffin, they have no reason to pick Banjo now.

It's Over

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Viva Pinata would be pretty sweet in Smash Brothers as well.

Look, chances probably went super far down with that recent announcement, but to me they're still non-zero. Until all 5 DLC are released, I'm not going to 100% shut out the idea. *shrug*

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't buy what Reggie is saying, There is always miscommunication with Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Japan (It's always their call), Remember when Reggie said before the Switch launched and said there wouldn't be any friend codes? They still exist, Not to mention all the trademarks they have been filing for the N64 Classic the past year and a half, Will it take longer to come out ? Maybe, I wasn't expecting it to come out this year anyways, The reason I see it taking so long is their probably deciding how to approach it, it's not as straightforward as the NES or SNES because of emulation, licensing and controllers (Control Sticks redesign), The big one being Rareware titles, I can actually see it still coming out possibly holiday of next year, The Nintendo Online subscription could hamper it ,But as we saw with the Wii, Wii U and now the Switch, Nintendo pushes NES and SNES titles and nostalgia a lot more because they are cheaper and easier to emulate and barely rereleases most of N64's library. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's possible that we're not actually getting any Microsoft characters at all, and just have some small references, like the Yuri AT from Koei Tecmo. At that point, it's probably best to pull an Isaac fandom and simply focus on Rash from Battletoads instead. Everything doesn't have to be gloom and doom, just gotta roll with the punches and settle for some good alternatives, in case betting all chips on one character isn't working.

Should we be concerned that Battletoss made it into Ready Player One, yet Banjo Kazooie didn’t?
Not really. RPO is not that good to begin with, so I wouldn't want people to associate B-K with a melting pot of cultural references.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
WELP with no N64 classic mini I say banjo has even less of a chance or really no chance :/

since switch is easy to hack/mod we might have to find a banjo who could just hack him in there

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think it's possible that we're not actually getting any Microsoft characters at all, and just have some small references, like the Yuri AT from Koei Tecmo. At that point, it's probably best to pull an Isaac fandom and simply focus on Rash from Battletoads instead. Everything doesn't have to be gloom and doom, just gotta roll with the punches and settle for some good alternatives, in case betting all chips on one character isn't working.
While Banjo-Kazooie is my first pick, I'm really going to be excited for all 5 characters, regardless of who they are. I've loved every Smash game so far, and hopefully that's the case with you guys too. There's just so much in Ultimate including all the prior characters and most of the stages, so 5 new characters and stages are all going to be great additions.

(Still not giving up on Banjo btw.)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm expecting B-K or Steve? because of Vergeben.

I can't imagine them negotiating for a Spirit and not show it off in the Direct like how Shantae was shown, let alone negotiating with Microsoft only for a Spirit. That seems outlandish to me, we're getting either the Bear & Bird or Mr. Minecraft.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While Banjo-Kazooie is my first pick, I'm really going to be excited for all 5 characters, regardless of who they are. I've loved every Smash game so far, and hopefully that's the case with you guys too. There's just so much in Ultimate including all the prior characters and most of the stages, so 5 new characters and stages are all going to be great additions.

(Still not giving up on Banjo btw.)
That's pretty fair to do. Regardless of what happens, I'll still be thankful of the game that's coming soon, with the gobs of stages and music coming with it.

I choose to interpret Reggie's statement as "We're not opposed to the idea, but we're not focused on that at the moment."

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't buy it, It's likely PR talk, They would be stupid not to release it since 90's nostalgia will be sticking around for quite a while, With all the trademarks going on for it and it's main rival the PS1 Classic releasing this holiday, I see could still see it releasing sometime next year.

D

Deleted member

R.I.P

BANJO & KAZOOIE
1998-2008

MICROSOFT DOSENT EVEN CARE ABOUT OLD TITLES ANYMORE.

Bye guys

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I wouldn't write Banjo off yet. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Sakurai tends to deliver when hope seems lost and expectations are low.

Top Bottom