• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo could have been more DLC than he ended up being.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
This is what I'd do to DLC Banjo up and I hope (nope) modders will one day address this. No big-asks like a unique moveset for Kazooie being tossed in. Again no big-asks like the aforementioned.

Shield-B is Clockwork Kazooie eggs. Make it so that you have to hold the B button until the Clockwork egg is manufactured in the attack animation. This means you're very vulnerable (no shielding) while laying these eggs. If you let go of the B button before it's ready the Clockwork Kazooie egg will malfunction and not work. When it does work it functions EXACTLY as Bowser Jr.'s Down-Special. It's really just a reanimated version of that attack. The time it takes to get through the attack animation is about the same time it takes for Inkling's shield-B to go from empty to full ink storage.

Neutral-B needs to allow for double-quick consecutive egg shots before restarting the animation if you're to do it again. Doing this SLIGHTLY extends of attack animation of Neutral-B to afford time to the extra egg. Banjo fans know what I'm talking about. Where before Banjo starts holding Kazooie for the Breagull blaster. It's very similar functionality to a double jab input just with your special button instead.

Let the grenade egg last like 1 second longer. Maybe 2 seconds because for f***'s sake Snake exists.

Improved Wonderwing system. This is my system and it can either be unforgiving or casual friendly. 3 Wonderwing connects (any damage done to an enemy player with Wonderwing counts as a connect) leads to gaining 1 extra Wonderwing feather (please play the feather collection jingle too). Now this is either where it's unforgiving or casual friendly because I think you should be able to earn one more feather (so the possibility of 2 extra feathers per stock in total equaling 7 when added together with the default 5) if you connect 5 Wonderwings in a row. Unforgiving would mean locking this 7th feather to the consecutive landing of your initial 5 feathers. Casual-friendly would be allowing you to miss your first Wonderwing but if you were to land 3 in a row after that AND your final feather in addition to the extra one you got for landing 3 Wonderwings you could also be allowed to gain this 7th feather. I think casual friendly would be fine because otherwise it'd make the 7th feather way more uncommon than it has to be.

EDIT: I have decided that 3 consecutive Wonderwing connects should net you 1 feather and 2 Wonderwing connects at any point should net you the other.

These are my changes to Banjo. The only other thing I could throw in there is to give him double aerial inputs minus neutral air. Every double input is essentially just kazooie charging towards the directional input as the double input similar to this attack here (youtube video) in the direction of the double input. If this were to be implemented I'd give Banjo Dr. Mario and Plant's down air before double inputting into his usual down air. Make them all very laggy to keep it fair.

EDIT: Only Down-Air and Up-Air would receive these double inputs. Down-Air would be Plant and Dr.Mario Down-Air and if the input was tapped again in quick enough succession Banjo-Kazooie would do their regular Down-Air in Ultimate today. Their first input for the Up-Air would be the regular one that's in Ultimate today and the second input (again if tapped in quick enough succession) would be Mario and ZSS Up-Air.

Edit: Everything else I still stand by i.e. grenade egg lasting a bit longer, Clockwork Kazooie egg Shield-B and quick double tap for double eggs for Neutral-B.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Okay hey I thought of the double aerial thing some more and here's what I came to.

Obviously as I previously stated neutral air wouldn't get one and I've decided forward and back air wouldn't get one either. My down air double aerial idea would stay the same with Banjo's first down air being Plant and Dr. Mario's down air and then if tapped again in quick enough succession he'd do his normal down air he has today.

Their up air would get this treatment as well. The first up air would be the usual one but again if tapped again in quick enough succession they'd do Mario and ZSS up-air.

Just better to keep it basic as hell so as to not interfere with Banjo's current design and really it's mostly just referencing the fact that they're a duo and Kazooie is a bird so they should work together on a couple of their aerials.

I thought about making the Wonderwing system even easier. Could be 3 hits in a row nets you 1 feather and 2 at any point (not consecutively in a row that is) nets you the other one. Would be a much more extreme buff to the Wonderwing system and I still think it's justifiable. We'd end up seeing feathers come into play more and I think that'd be the point. This would allow for the continued use of Wonderwing as a recover option too so I decided that my initial system was a bit too harsh.

Man it makes me sad thinking that Banjo is in and is soooooo faithful but still feels like he's missing some bull****. I think current Banjo plus all my changes would be the perfect interpretation of the character for Smash and so much of the work already exists in the game.

Top Bottom