• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Bandana Dee is going to be in if there is a new Kirby rep. I support because of SSF2
I share and appreciate your enthusiasm, but nonetheless I would advise caution about assuming that any character is a dead-cert.

Remember, HAL Laboratory have been promoting Magolor a ton, for example (Magolor even has his own personal logo for certain merchandise featuring him), and anything could easily go another way at any given time.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
I share and appreciate your enthusiasm, but nonetheless I would advise caution about assuming that any character is a dead-cert.

Remember, HAL Laboratory have been promoting Magolor a ton, for example (Magolor even has his own personal logo for certain merchandise featuring him), and anything could easily go another way at any given time.
I think Magolor could be in, if Sora. LTD wanted to represent the Dreamland series. I think maybe the villain form the new Kirby game coming could be in if it is out before Smash starts are in the early stages of development. Also remember, HAL doesn't make Smash games any more, Sora. LTD does.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think Magolor could be in, if Sora. LTD wanted to represent the Dreamland series.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't quite follow, here - Dream Land is a location in the Kirby series, and its name has appeared in numerous titles, starting with the first game 25 years ago. I'm not aware of any "Dream Land series" or sub-series within the Kirby series.

I think maybe the villain form the new Kirby game coming could be in if it is out before Smash starts are in the early stages of development. Also remember, HAL doesn't make Smash games any more, Sora. LTD does.
I'm very well-aware that HAL Laboratory hasn't worked on a Smash game since Melee. ;) However, do bear in mind that Sora Ltd. is more an agency for Sakurai's freelance work (as far as I know, and as far as I can find from looking it up, the company only consists of himself and his wife), and has never really fully made one, because two people alone simply cannot - they were hired to assist Bandai-Namco on Smash 3DS/Wii U (which are officially "Smash 4" and "Smash 5"), and they also worked with Game Arts on Brawl.

Bandai-Namco actually put out a hiring-call for a "Smash 6" three years and three four months ago, for what it's worth, but there's been no suggestion of any involvement from Sora Ltd., and Sakurai's only hint as to his next project came in December of 2016, when he detailed a fairly realistic rifle which he bought a model-kit so as to study for the next game he's working on.

Last edited:

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't quite follow, here - Dream Land is a location in the Kirby series, and its name has appeared in numerous titles, starting with the first game 25 years ago. I'm not aware of any "Dream Land series" or sub-series within the Kirby series.

What I meant by Dreamland series is the main games. Also, Kirby takes place on Popstar :ohwell:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
What I meant by Dreamland series is the main games.
Ahh, I see. Most people just refer to the Kirby series as the Kirby series, so I've never heard anything like that before!

Also, Kirby takes place on Popstar :ohwell:
You don't really need to point things like this out - you're in a thread that's mostly filled with Kirby fans, at least some of whom have been fans for most or all of the series' existence. ;)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bandana Dee is among my most wanted and Kirby is one of my favourite franchises. The Switch game was probably my favourite new game announced at E3, although admittedly, Metroid Prime 4 comes close.

Bring on the Dee!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I was very lucky to be able to obtain the official Tokyo Station-exclusive Bandana Waddle Dee plush and keychain-plush via a collector in Japan, recently;

I did remove the accessories (which were attached in such a way as to suggest that they suspected that some folks would want to remove them, so as to make that easy), though, as I wanted him to match the others. (I left the keyring-plush as-is.)

You can't forget the fourth member of the Kirby crew, after all! :grin:

Bandana Dee is among my most wanted and Kirby is one of my favourite franchises. The Switch game was probably my favourite new game announced at E3, although admittedly, Metroid Prime 4 comes close.

Bring on the Dee!
Glad to see another new supporter join us! :grin:

I agree, the new Switch Kirby game looked great for its first showing, and it was nice to see some older gameplay elements making a return, too. Now we just need to see if Bandana Waddle Dee shows up, as well!

Pre-orders are already available for the game from Amazon UK, but I'm waiting to see if it gets a nice Kirby 25th Anniversary-related Collectors' Edition pack before placing one. I'm hoping for that, since they've promoted the game on the Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account (which they don't use for non-anniversary items), and the anniversary doesn't end until April 27th 2018. Moreover, a few other big releases have gotten such packages recently, too.

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I'm in full support of Bandana Dee as well as any other modern kirby rep for smash! I would like Galacta knight to join in as well seeing as though he is a very marketable, long staying villain (no he would NOT be a metaknight clone).

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
How has nobody mentioned Kirby Battle Royale yet?!

Bandana Dee is not only a major NPC in the game, but appears to be rocking a Parasol as well. Considering that Parasol is already a playable ability in the game, could this mean Bandana Dee is a CPU ally in the single-player? Maybe even an unlockable reskin for playing as the Parasol ability? Spear is playable too and there's no way I don't see him using that to some extent as well.

This game has been the biggest thing for Bandana Dee since Rainbow Curse. No longer is he just some background character waiting to contribute anything more than morale and health-pickups like he was in Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot and Team Kirby Clash Deluxe!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so thats more reason form him to have both spear and parasol moves in smash

anyone else voting for thier favourite copy ablity? could lead to an extra one to play as in battle royal

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What if Dee double-wielded the spear and parasol as a sword-and-shield combination in Smash.
His playstyle could revolve around having plenty of range and being hard to hit, but having blindspots because of the spear's thin hitboxes

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I reckon he'll primarily use the spear, but pull out other weapons for certain attacks. I was thinking the Parasol and maybe beam want. Like the spear would turn into them for those attacks

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
How's the Dee Brigade doing?

Pretty impressed still by his SSF2-incarnation, it's many ways fun. Is he potent in that game?

I reckon he'll primarily use the spear, but pull out other weapons for certain attacks. I was thinking the Parasol and maybe beam want. Like the spear would turn into them for those attacks
Beam I wondered if Smash-team could play in a rather crazy fashion of making Dee actually do some strenuous death stare with his eye, and makes a little beam whip come out. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Long time, no see, God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin ! :grin: Nice to see you here again!

Bandana Dee is not only a major NPC in the game, but appears to be rocking a Parasol as well.
It's well worth pointing out that Bandana Waddle Dee's parasol in Kirby Battle Royale matches the colour-scheme of the one used for the Custom Parasol ability in Kirby: Planet Robobot. That was granted by scanning the regular Waddle Dee Amiibo into that game - it turned Kirby orange, and gave him a blue bandana and a blue-and-white spotted parasol, as a nod to Bandana Waddle Dee.

I think that some took that as the first official hint that, like his regular Waddle Dee peers, Bandana Waddle Dee can also get along just fine with a parasol - and of course, that's now proven true.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I love everything about this new Kirby game!

I hope Buff Dedede is Dedede's final Smash in the next game.

D

Deleted member

I made a really long moveset for Bandana Dee a little before the direct, but I had him use a parasol in it. I'll post it if asked, but the parasol moves were the Parasol ability's idle animation (up tilt), Parasol Swing (the one with the water effects, forward smash), Circus Throw (up throw), and a three in one down special that had him float down with it, Parasol Dive, and a Parasol Shield reflector. I don't think the parasol would show up for much more than that, aside from potentially splitting up the down special and adding in a parasol dash attack. I still used Beam Whip as a side special and Capture Beam as a forward throw.

But yeah, the new game has me really excited. Not just for a potential Smash game/port, in which I honestly think he's basically a lock along with Inkling.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
How has nobody mentioned Kirby Battle Royale yet?!

Bandana Dee is not only a major NPC in the game, but appears to be rocking a Parasol as well. Considering that Parasol is already a playable ability in the game, could this mean Bandana Dee is a CPU ally in the single-player? Maybe even an unlockable reskin for playing as the Parasol ability? Spear is playable too and there's no way I don't see him using that to some extent as well.

This game has been the biggest thing for Bandana Dee since Rainbow Curse. No longer is he just some background character waiting to contribute anything more than morale and health-pickups like he was in Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot and Team Kirby Clash Deluxe!
To re-quote recent post of mine, I feel that Bandana Dee has also entered the tournament, and is making his way through the ranks while you (as Kirby), are busy with your side of the tournament. Maybe they'll meet each other at some point in the story mode, resulting in their first fight since Revenge of the King!

It's well worth pointing out that Bandana Waddle Dee's parasol in Kirby Battle Royale matches the colour-scheme of the one used for the Custom Parasol ability in Kirby: Planet Robobot. That was granted by scanning the regular Waddle Dee Amiibo into that game - it turned Kirby orange, and gave him a blue bandana and a blue-and-white spotted parasol, as a nod to Bandana Waddle Dee.

I think that some took that as the first official hint that, like his regular Waddle Dee peers, Bandana Waddle Dee can also get along just fine with a parasol - and of course, that's now proven true.
I hope detractors don't start using that as a way to...you know. Detract him or something.

How's the Dee Brigade doing?

Pretty impressed still by his SSF2-incarnation, it's many ways fun. Is he potent in that game?
Sadly, SSF2's current tier list has him pretty low. His primary problem right now is crazy low KO potential combined with his already light weight.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I think that for specials, Waddle Dee could maybe have moves from various kirby enemies. For example, his side B could be beam. Either he uses it quickly and swing the beam up to down, or he charges it up for a projectile. He could run around to charge up spark and use that for his neutral B, his up B could be tornado, and his down B could be, I dunno, bomb?

Also, I love the idea of megaton punch for his down smash that goes through the platform and hits below it.

Spiwizzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mama Mii-a
3DS FC
5429-9383-9253
I want to have Bandanna Dee put in, then make a mod to replace all the waddle Dees in Smash Run with Kirbys (Kirbies?) and have Bandanna Dee avenge what Kirby did to his Dee bretherin. After that, Bandanna Dee's Adventure In Dreamland! An epic tale for sure! Then we get franchising, and advertisement deals, not to mention merch. He becomes a beloved character, and then, DEES SHALL RULE THE WORLD BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA erm, I mean... he's a really cool character, and I wanna see him in smash :3... heh... heh...

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I want to have Bandanna Dee put in, then make a mod to replace all the waddle Dees in Smash Run with Kirbys (Kirbies?) and have Bandanna Dee avenge what Kirby did to his Dee bretherin. After that, Bandanna Dee's Adventure In Dreamland! An epic tale for sure! Then we get franchising, and advertisement deals, not to mention merch. He becomes a beloved character, and then, DEES SHALL RULE THE WORLD BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA erm, I mean... he's a really cool character, and I wanna see him in smash :3... heh... heh...
Why are you speaking like Kirby and Bandana Dee aren't already on best-friend terms since the end of Revenge of the King? I assume our banded boy wouldn't be providing Kirby with health power-ups and slaying his own brethren in Return to Dream Land if he was actually bothered by Kirby's genocide. The latter especially--Dee on Dee violence is no more okay than Dee on Kirby violence, smh.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd love to see a moment where Bandana Dee has to choose between Kirby and King Dedede.

With his loyalty to the King, he challenges Kirby as a fully fledged out boss fight.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd love to see a moment where Bandana Dee has to choose between Kirby and King Dedede.

With his loyalty to the King, he challenges Kirby as a fully fledged out boss fight.
How badass would it be if this happened in the upcoming Battle Royale and/or Star Allies games?! Both games also give B.D. a perfect opportunity to have this happen!

Also, after Super Star Ultra, it's very likely B.D. would choose his boss over Kirby.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
How badass would it be if this happened in the upcoming Battle Royale and/or Star Allies games?! Both games also give B.D. a perfect opportunity to have this happen!

Also, after Super Star Ultra, it's very likely B.D. would choose his boss over Kirby.
Now I'm imagining Bandana Dee screaming "DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!" when he has to decide between King Dedede and Kirby.

Yes, I would love a B.D. boss fight where he presents an actual challenge to the player:)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yes, I would love a B.D. boss fight where he presents an actual challenge to the player:)
If Dedede's been possessed, as the Buff Dedede part of the recent Kirby: Star Allies footage demonstrates, then could the same thing have also happened to Bandana Waddle Dee, I wonder?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I hope our first proper boss fight against Bandana Dee isn't him being possessed.

Actually, for Star Allies specifically, maybe the Final Boss of Helper to Hero. Where he sorta serves as a coach trying whip these helpers into heroes, and the Final test he fights them himself.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
There was recently a Japanese poll of enemy characters/species from the Kirby series, and the Waddle Dees won it!

Waddle Dee wins Kirby Enemy Character Grand Prix

Japan has spoken, and Waddle Dee is their favorite Kirby enemy. The classic baddie pulled in 1,351 votes out of a total of 5,017 in the Kirby Enemy Character Grand Prix. This means some special Waddle Dee merch will be released in the future! Check out the list of top-voted Kirby enemies below.

Waddle Dee (1,351)
Magolor (614)
Gordo (608)
Maruku (593)
Kracko (455)
Daroach (434)
Waddle Doo (310)
Whispy Woods (282)
Susie (191)
Taranza (179)

Source: Link
As the report quoted above notes, this means that there'll be some new Waddle Dee-related merchandise as a result. Hopefully Bandana Waddle Dee will be included in this, too.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There was recently a Japanese poll of enemy characters/species from the Kirby series, and the Waddle Dees won it!

As the report quoted above notes, this means that there'll be some new Waddle Dee-related merchandise as a result. Hopefully Bandana Waddle Dee will be included in this, too.
Waddle Dees are the Goombas of Kirby. No other Kirby enemy can top that at all.

Not even Scarfies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
But even Goombas would get toppled by Bowser, they were competing against big villains

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Waddle Dees are the Goombas of Kirby. No other Kirby enemy can top that at all.

Not even Scarfies.
I agree, Waddle Dees were popular enough to get a lot of theme merchandise such as Navy and Animal Dees, so it made sense that they would be the most popular Kirby Enemy.

If Pupupu Train is any indication, we'll at least get another Bandana Dee plush.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A portion of a new Japanese promotional video about Kirby Battle Royale appears to show Bandana Waddle Dee acting as Kirby's teammate in the Dedede Grand Prix event that you're playing through in the game's Story Mode.

This suggests that Bandana Waddle Dee may appear quite a bit in the single-player game! :grin:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A portion of a new Japanese promotional video about Kirby Battle Royale appears to show Bandana Waddle Dee acting as Kirby's teammate in the Dedede Grand Prix event that you're playing through in the game's Story Mode.

This suggests that Bandana Waddle Dee may appear quite a bit in the single-player game! :grin:
Wow! This is great! See, I just knew that there HAD to be something MORE to Bandana Dee's presence in Battle Royale, considering that Story Mode cutscene he appeared in during the first trailer for the game. Not to mention, the official artwork. Speaking of which, I wonder if he'll be playable in some form...?

For the record, I'm not trying to brag or anything. I'm just excited that B.D. gets a notable role for this game.

Now, we can only hope he gets something for Star Allies...

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Wow! This is great! See, I just knew that there HAD to be something MORE to Bandana Dee's presence in Battle Royale, considering that Story Mode cutscene he appeared in during the first trailer for the game. Not to mention, the official artwork. Speaking of which, I wonder if he'll be playable in some form...?

For the record, I'm not trying to brag or anything. I'm just excited that B.D. gets a notable role for this game.

Now, we can only hope he gets something for Star Allies...
Me too, it's pretty cool that Nintendo is using the Helper idea for a mainline Kirby game. It would just sweeten the deal to see B.D. in it in a huge role.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Bandana Waddle Dee has just put in an appearance in the newest posting from the Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account, with some new artwork showing him presiding over a game of Tug-of-War at the Dream Land athletic-meet.

Top Bottom