• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

It seems highly unlikely to me that they consider two expanded mini-games drawn from a year-old game, plus one title that's not even in Kirby's staple genre, to be the "lots of games" that they'll be marking a huge milestone anniversary with. ;)
Even if you dont believe that, saying "they said there will be more games" isn't true.

Plus, 3 different games for one series in one year is a lot for pretty much any series.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Even if you dont believe that, saying "they said there will be more games" isn't true.
What was written can evidently be interpreted in two ways. When I read it, I took it as meaning that there would be more games besides the ones spoken about in the previous paragraph.

Until this exchange took place, I didn't even realise that it could be taken as them saying that the three announced titles equate to "lots".

I certainly didn't say anything untrue - I simply read something differently to how others have read it.

Plus, 3 different games for one series in one year is a lot for pretty much any series.
Not when two of them are expanded mini-games taken from a title that was released a year ago, with the potential for the fighting game due this winter to also be based off of a mini-game that was included with a 2014 title (which, given HAL's re-use of that engine, wouldn't surprise me; Don't get me wrong, it's no bad thing, but I can easily see it happening). :p

EDIT: I should add, it's also very uncharacteristic of HAL Laboratory. They tend to go above and beyond with the Kirby series, without fail, particularly for anniversary content.

Last edited:

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
Love the moveset! I just have a few changes I would personally make:

Dash attack - Parasol Dash. Pulls out a parasol and charges forward, hitting opponents with the parasol. Shown in this video around 1:03

Down special - Parasol Drill. When used on ground, you bounce up while spinning on your parasol, trapping and damaging enemies nearby. The first frames of the move have invincibility. When used in air, you drill diagonally down, attacking anyone caught in the drill. It can be cancelled at any time by releasing the special button. Grounded version is shown in this video at 2:12
and aerial version is shown in the first video at around 1:14.

As you can tell, I love parasol, and I believe that it should be more implemented into Bandana Dee's moveset, as the parasol is a signature "weapon" of the waddle dee race and would add unique variety into his moveset.

Furret24

Smash Master
Is this where we're all gonna go now?

Still hoping for Banana Whittle Dew to get in. :v

Maybe i'll bring back Waddle Wednesday or Jigglypuff Sunday to celebrate this thread.
:162:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If Bandanna Dee isn't playable in this Kirby action fighting game, heads will roll.

Not like they would actually forget about him given his importance.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
What was written can evidently be interpreted in two ways. When I read it, I took it as meaning that there would be more games besides the ones spoken about in the previous paragraph.

Until this exchange took place, I didn't even realise that it could be taken as them saying that the three announced titles equate to "lots".

I certainly didn't say anything untrue - I simply read something differently to how others have read it.

Not when two of them are expanded mini-games taken from a title that was released a year ago, with the potential for the fighting game due this winter to also be based off of a mini-game that was included with a 2014 title (which, given HAL's re-use of that engine, wouldn't surprise me; Don't get me wrong, it's no bad thing, but I can easily see it happening). :p

EDIT: I should add, it's also very uncharacteristic of HAL Laboratory. They tend to go above and beyond with the Kirby series, without fail, particularly for anniversary content.
But you have to realize that they released robobot last year, meaning they have just about a year to make these two expanded minigames and a game that, while inspired by another minigame from triple deluxe, could very well be expanded in meat to became its own standalone game.
Do you really think that with such a tight timeframe HAL will reveal even MORE games for Kirby's birthday? I found that quite unlikely.
Also, as Zebei said, this is a lot more than other franchises get for their birthday (I mean, they even gave this event its own Twitter account and a series of concerts in Japan. I'm sure HAL also considers this a form of celebration).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Maybe i'll bring back Waddle Wednesday or Jigglypuff Sunday to celebrate this thread.
It might be best to leave that for the social. ;)

If Bandanna Dee isn't playable in this Kirby action fighting game, heads will roll.

I would be very surprised if he was left out, somehow.

But you have to realize that they released robobot last year, meaning they have just about a year to make these two expanded minigames and a game that, while inspired by another minigame from triple deluxe, could very well be expanded in meat to became its own standalone game.
Do you really think that with such a tight timeframe HAL will reveal even MORE games for Kirby's birthday? I found that quite unlikely.
Also, as Zebei said, this is a lot more than other franchises get for their birthday (I mean, they even gave this event its own Twitter account and a series of concerts in Japan. I'm sure HAL also considers this a form of celebration).
HAL Laboratory is a large company that has multiple teams.

In 2015 - the year before Kirby: Planet Robobot - they released Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and, spread between late 2014 and early 2015, two expanded mini-games from Kirby Triple Deluxe (Kirby Fighters Deluxe, and Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe). Accordingly, it actually isn't difficult to believe that we could get one more game this year - they've shown previously that they're capable of releasing two expanded mini-games plus a larger scale game within about a year of the last one.

Most series don't get a couple of cheap downloadable expanded mini-games taken from a year-old game, one of them being a free-to-play title, to mark milestone anniversaries like a 25th - they most often get a game in their main genre, or an anniversary collection, as well as little bonuses and live real-world events. They did that for Kirby's 20th, though it didn't get a global release, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if we saw a 25th anniversary collection, either, which might see a worldwide release this time.

There's no doubt that the Japan-only Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account and concerts are considered a form of celebration, as is all of the Japan-only merchandise. It would seem very strange for a company as reverent of their properties as HAL to only release cheap recycled downloads for a 25th anniversary event.

Time will tell, regardless. :p

EDIT: I sincerely apologise, I made an error above, as the European dates for Kirby Triple Deluxe, Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse threw me off.

To correct myself: They released Kirby Fighters Deluxe and Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe (the expanded mini-games taken from Kirby Triple Deluxe) six months after Kirby Triple Deluxe (suggesting a short timeframe for creating the expanded mini-games), and they released Kirby and the Rainbow Curse one year and 11 days after Kirby Triple Deluxe. Basically, HAL Laboratory have shown that they're capable of releasing two large Kirby games and two expanded mini-games within the space of one year. This was alongside BoxBoy! also being made and released during that same timeframe, for a total of two large retail games, two small recycled downloadable ones, and one moderately-sized (173 stages) downloadable title in about one year.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Do you think non Kirby's are going to get a role at all? I always assumed it was just going to be a bunch of different Kirbys with different hats.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Do you think non Kirby's are going to get a role at all? I always assumed it was just going to be a bunch of different Kirbys with different hats.
With the oversaturation of side games that have playable Kirbies, I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have a diverse roster for it.

Even if that were the case, how would it be different from Team Kirby Clash and Kirby Fighters?

Best thing we can do is wait for E3. Doubt we are going to get a new Direct for the month.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Best thing we can do is wait for E3. Doubt we are going to get a new Direct for the month.
Well, there is this rumour from earlier this week, which is intriguing if nothing else;

RUMOR - Is there a Nintendo Direct coming next week?

Nothing escapes the ever-watchful eye of internet sleuths. Today we have some interesting info from the NeoGAF gang that could very well point to a Nintendo Direct as early as next week

- on the Japanese Nintendo Direct page, a slot opened up about a week before the last direct aired
- apparently this is part of a pattern, and has been happening with other Directs
- today, another slot opened up in the same manner on the Nintendo Direct page

Like the info says, this is a pattern that seems to have been pretty much proven at this point. When a slot opens up, a Direct is soon to follow. Let's see if the sleuths have made an accurate prediction!
Naturally, it's not a guarantee of any sort. It's merely an interesting observation that people have made. Here's hoping, though!

EDIT: We have a small merchandise-update - a mini-sized Waddle Dee plush, of about 75mm (roughly 3") tall, has been released. This is from Takara Tomy A.R.T.S, and is available right now.

Hoshi no Kirby - Mocchi-Mocchi- mini: Waddle Dee

Last edited:

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Chandeelure Chandeelure add this to the OP
Everyone The Waddle Dee we all know and love is a new character in the most played Smash fan game on the internet :Super Smash Flash 2!

Here's the download

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A second Tokyo Station-exclusive Bandana Waddle Dee plush is being released on June 16th;

This one is a keychain-plush. Judging by other such items made by the same manufacturer, this means that he should be about three inches or so tall.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder if they'll reveal that new Kirby game they teased. Or at least give more details on the next mini-game turned spin-off.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Been meaning to ask... what's with the thread title? Do you believe that Waddle Dee will be announced as a playable character at E3?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A new Kirby game has just been announced for the Switch! :grin: The trailer is currently still running on Nintendo's E3 Spotlight stream.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
new kirby game looks great

playable waddle dee (not our bandana friend) that got to be good for us

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The official Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account has made a post about the new Kirby game for the Switch;

It includes a link to the official Japanese page for the game, too. This contains some screenshots and a Japanese-subtitled version of the game's E3 reveal-trailer.

EDIT: The Kirby 25th Anniversary Twitter account has also posted a piece of commemorative artwork about the game, to go with all of the other 25th Anniversary pieces, here.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Nago's back...Nago...NAGO...NAGO!!

Hey, who else hopes for/expects ALL 6 Animal Friends to be incorporated into Clean's moveset? Heck, throw Gooey and his little sister Blob in there too while they're at it!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, what do you think of Bandana Dee using a moveset like his SSF2 incarnation in official Smash games?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Might as well post this here too
Blowout Blast got a new trailer, but more importantly we got release dates, in Japan it's coming out July 4th, and North America July 6th. Sadly can't find anything about Europe's release date though.
Hey everyone, what do you think of Bandana Dee using a moveset like his SSF2 incarnation in official Smash games?
I wouldn't be too fond of it if they literally just ripped off SSF2 and took credit for it (they won't lol), but if it's similar with a few differentiating quirks I'd be all for it, I love how he plays in Smash Flash!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they may end up with some of the same moves, i imagine in smash bandana dee will take stuff from adventure wii and perhaps the parasol ability

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I feel like the original post should have maybe a couple more things mentioned in it. Firstly, Bandana Dee's appearance in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, and how, much alike to BDee playing with Kirby in the Triple Deluxe credits, he does so in the credits of Revenge of the King from Super Star Ultra, way before he was playable in Return to Dream Land.
Interesting.png

:050:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I feel like the original post should have maybe a couple more things mentioned in it. Firstly, Bandana Dee's appearance in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, and how, much alike to BDee playing with Kirby in the Triple Deluxe credits, he does so in the credits of Revenge of the King from Super Star Ultra, way before he was playable in Return to Dream Land.
View attachment 131117
:050:
Perhaps Chandeelure Chandeelure could take a look at giving the post a new coat of paint? After all, these are relevant Bandana Waddle Dee appearances, with one of them being his most recent game appearance, too.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hello hello.

I'm making SSB4 Character UIs and I just did Bandana Dee's a couple of days ago. I think you'll like this.

waddle-dee-character-ui-8player.png

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go for "Waddle Dee" or "Bandanna Dee", but since the Smashified site went for Waddle Dee, I felt I needed to stay consistent. Please understand

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hello hello.

I'm making SSB4 Character UIs and I just did Bandana Dee's a couple of days ago. I think you'll like this.

That looks really authentic - nice work! :grin:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go for "Waddle Dee" or "Bandanna Dee", but since the Smashified site went for Waddle Dee, I felt I needed to stay consistent. Please understand
Honestly, HAL Laboratory themselves alternate between Bandana Waddle Dee (they specifically use the spelling of bandana that only has one "n" at the end) or just plain Waddle Dee for him, and - as in the example of the TBS iShop listings for the Tokyo Station Bandana Waddle Dee plush and keychain-plush - sometimes they'll use both at the same time.

Both are equally valid, it seems. It looks like it's just down to stylistic choice and context.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Bandana Waddle Dee got a shout-out in some colouring-pages that were released on Nintendo of America's Play Nintendo website, today.

He appears on the fourth page, this time simply using the name Waddle Dee (as noted above, it seems that they use both Bandana Waddle Dee and Waddle Dee interchangeably, now), with the caption "Kirby's trusty companion".

I just thought that everyone might want to know, since a mention's a mention! :laugh:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Bandana Waddle Dee got a shout-out in some colouring-pages that were released on Nintendo of America's Play Nintendo website, today.

He appears on the fourth page, this time simply using the name Waddle Dee (as noted above, it seems that they use both Bandana Waddle Dee and Waddle Dee interchangeably, now), with the caption "Kirby's trusty companion".

I just thought that everyone might want to know, since a mention's a mention! :laugh:
Oh, wow! That's pretty cool! Nice to see him being acknowleged at all, IMO.

Hey, gang. I've got a question for you all. Do any of you think B.D. will appear in Kirby for Nintendo Switch?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

Hey, gang. I've got a question for you all. Do any of you think B.D. will appear in Kirby for Nintendo Switch?
I hope so, especially since we know that he's had a plush out now. (I'm not sure he'll be playable but I'll be very surprised if he isn't in the game at all.)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

If Sakurai is the deerector: I don't think he'd get anything in game, most would be a mention in a interview or something. Bandana Dee not getting at least a mention this game was kind of absurd looking at the amount of trophies and non-playable content in game, and given that there's only 4 Kirby trophies that hail from the games he didn't make (Ultra Sword, Lor, Magolor, and GKnight), I think it's safe to assume it's likely more than just random chance.

If Sakurai is not the deerector: I think he has a extremely high chance to at least be a trophy or assist, and I'd guess he has roughly around a coin-flip's chance to be playable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom