• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Eh. Don’t see Marx happening before Dee. I feel people put too much stock into Sakurai bias. We’ve already seen modern Kirby references through victory animations, Final Smashes, and costumes. Not to mention the scrapped epic yarn stage that was only remade into GCO because Yoshi’s Woolly World was thematically similar, but more relevant. And despite Marx’s playable appearance, Dee still got him beat by a long shot worldwide in terms of popularity, and even Magolor beats him Japan.
That’s my take on it anyway. Marx now just genuinely feels like how Sceptile felt during smash 4 DLC speculation. I honestly find it difficult to believe that he’d give Marx priority.
Maybe so. I suppose the fact that we're getting closer and closer to Ultimate's release without any sign of Dee has gotten me awfully pessimistic to try and lessen the blow for myself if he doesn't make it in. I was even the one who made a post pointing out the modern Kirby references in Kirby's victory animation and jump animation, and here I am worrying about Sakurai bias, heh.

I still can't really shake the fear that Sakurai would choose Marx over Bandana Dee for DLC, even when knowing the points against him. I'm hoping it is a completely irrational fear in the end though.

Man, I really hope that Dee gets revealed next though. Then I could comfortably back out of Newcomer speculation knowing that K. Rool and Bandana Dee, my two most wanted, are finally in the game. A man can dream...

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Man, I really hope that Dee gets revealed next though. Then I could comfortably back out of Newcomer speculation knowing that K. Rool and Bandana Dee, my two most wanted, are finally in the game.
That is basically me, except Bandana Dee is my only true want. I'm a rarity in that regard, a dedicated campaigner for only one character. While I have other wants, they are nowhere near as prominent as BWD for me.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to stop by and let everyone know in regards to the stage thing... B.W.D. might not need to worry about that since Kirby seems pretty set on stage representation, so the little guy wouldn't NEED a new stage to rep, right? He could just as easily reuse one of the existing stages. Hey, other characters are doing it...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
why is everyoen putting so much stock in this leak?
It's from someone whose other character leaks have been accurate so far, and it lines up with the special edition box, which (given the positioning of the characters) implies that there are only two newcomers left, with one of them being an echo of one of the following: Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Ryu, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Bowser Junior, or Cloud.

https://www.elecspo.com/static/uploads/2018/09/smashbrosultimatespecialedition.jpg

Of those eight, Ryu seems far and away the most likely to get an Echo fighter, which lines up with what Vergeben has been saying for a while about Ken being included. (to explain, the characters are grouped roughly in order of the official website, with the exception of Corrin, who's pushed into the next group by an Echo fighter)

This is what the full box would look like; Incineroar doesn't have anything definitive pointing towards him, but either way, there'd only be room for one more unique character on there once Isabelle is taken into account.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm thinking Kens spot is just a blank space, and that's what they all are, blank spaces because the characters on the box are just the characters they knew and that's it. 2x6x6 was still the best way to organise

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I'm really not buying this theory. With almost 3 months to go before the game releases, would they really make the final reveal ONE (1) Echo Fighter that wasn't necessarily one that placed high on the ballot (in comparison to Dixie Kong or Shadow?) I remember in the Direct they showed off 3 echoes like it was nothing. Having just one more up until release seems ridiculous. Though it could be argued that Vergeben was like Gematsu - they got data from the start of development, and considering echos don't take long to make..

But with just one newcomer, this isn't to say Incineroar is a bad choice or that no one wants him, it's just when you compare him to characters like Isaac, Geno, and Bandana Dee, he's miles behind.

It seems strange to suggest you're basing your roster off of what the fans wanted and then make the last addition an automatic flavor-of-the-month pick like Corrin or Greninja. Again, no hate against Incineroar (I picked Litten in S/M) but this is why I feel it's not legitimate (or just not completely accurate).

D

Deleted member

Let's see what happens, hopefully more news will give us Bandana Dee 's fate.

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've been a long-time supporter of Bandana Dee and follower of this thread but haven't signed up for a Smashboards account until now. Finally decided to get around to it so I could give my input in the rating thread today. Just wanted to show my support and say that I hope for the best for the boy, as he's definitely my most wanted newcomer by far. I've been hoping to see him in Smash since before 4 came out!

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
...Yeah I don't believe in this box theory. For one, as Shiny Porygon already mentioned, why pick those two newcomers where one can be an easy echo but was not most requested compared to other characters and one that is well-known but isn't a fan-favourite character like Bandana Dee, Skull Kid or Geno. Also, Didn't Sakurai mention from a famitsu column regarding King K. Rool that he was a newcomer because of his popularity from the smash ballot, assuming that he is using it to pull characters from? I always had this mindset that he would pick the remaining newcomers from the ballot, but now that seems unlikely because of Isabelle which probably got picked for being relevant and the face of her own series (I don't know how well she did in the ballot).

My point is that if Sakurai is using the ballot for reference, why pick the remaining newcomers that weren't voted in the ballot at all? Wasn't this supposed to be a fan-service-ish game? Ken may have gotten some votes in the ballot but he probably was chosen for the easy echo position instead. Incineroar, however, is from the latest Pokemon gen, which took place after the ballot. Yes, I agree we should have more recent/relevant fighters and although Sakurai could make Incineroar a fighter, I just think it wouldn't be "fair" (don't know the right word to use) when he can pick characters that are most requested such as Bandana Dee, Skull Kid or other characters that also did well in the ballot.

Sorry if I sound selfish, but I feel Sakurai shouldn't have mentioned using the ballot if he was going to make Incineroar and Ken the remaining fighters for the base roster. He could've said King K. Rool was one of the most requested characters and didn't need to mention the ballot because I think we would know what he meant. Since he did mention it and if these two were actually the remaining characters, that would be a bit disappointing (to me at least because Bandana Dee is the only requested character I want in and seeing him not there in the roster makes me a bit upset), even though I don't hate the characters and they are popular. I'd still love the roster either way because it has many characters that we're long requested and it's massive, so I'll take what I can get.

And there is always hope for DLC to get Bandana Dee too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's from someone whose other character leaks have been accurate so far, and it lines up with the special edition box, which (given the positioning of the characters) implies that there are only two newcomers left, with one of them being an echo of one of the following: Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Ryu, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Bowser Junior, or Cloud.

https://www.elecspo.com/static/uploads/2018/09/smashbrosultimatespecialedition.jpg

Of those eight, Ryu seems far and away the most likely to get an Echo fighter, which lines up with what Vergeben has been saying for a while about Ken being included. (to explain, the characters are grouped roughly in order of the official website, with the exception of Corrin, who's pushed into the next group by an Echo fighter)

This is what the full box would look like; Incineroar doesn't have anything definitive pointing towards him, but either way, there'd only be room for one more unique character on there once Isabelle is taken into account.

still doesnt mean you should all buy into them all the accurate leaks ive seen say stuff like ridley and k.rool are in which all the leaks from last time said, from what ive seen we really should take put any stock in any leak

box thing makes sense though but could still be wrong

Last edited:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Vergben did a leak, he confirmed Incineroar as Pokemon rep, ken and square enix but he's not sure on box theory. I hope box theory isn't true cause if that's the case 2 more characters :( and no Bandana Dee

Vergeben is currently checkig if Box theory is wrong so i'll stay tuned in (box theory HAS TO BE WRONG)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Vergben did a leak, he confirmed Incineroar as Pokemon rep, ken and square enix but he's not sure on box theory. I hope box theory isn't true cause if that's the case 2 more characters :( and no Bandana Dee

Vergeben is currently checkig if Box theory is wrong so i'll stay tuned in (box theory HAS TO BE WRONG)
or vergeben has to be wrong

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
...Yeah I don't believe in this box theory. For one, as Shiny Porygon already mentioned, why pick those two newcomers where one can be an easy echo but was not most requested compared to other characters and one that is well-known but isn't a fan-favourite character like Bandana Dee, Skull Kid or Geno. Also, Didn't Sakurai mention from a famitsu column regarding King K. Rool that he was a newcomer because of his popularity from the smash ballot, assuming that he is using it to pull characters from? I always had this mindset that he would pick the remaining newcomers from the ballot, but now that seems unlikely because of Isabelle which probably got picked for being relevant and the face of her own series (I don't know how well she did in the ballot).
The same could be said about roughly every previous Smash game.
-Why would the final unlockable character in Smash 64 be Ness when they could have added a major character, like Bowser or Ganondorf?
-Why would the final unlockable character in Melee be Mr. Game & Watch when they don't even have Diddy Kong in the game?
-Why would Wolf be included in Brawl but not Ridley?
-Why would the Duck Hunt Dog be the final unlockable character in Smash 4 when Metroid and Donkey Kong are still extremely underrepresented?
-Why is Bayonetta the Smash Ballot winner when I voted for a different character?

We don't necessarily know if Incineroar is going to be the final character in the base roster (Vergeben has also mentioned a mystery Square-Enix character; one of them would likely be DLC), but Ken (the one that we have some kind of evidence for) would almost definitely be an Echo Fighter, meaning that he took almost no work to make by comparison to anyone unique.

Heck, maybe there are more characters than what Vergeben and the box leak are indicating; I'm just trying to keep expectations reasonable considering that this sort of thing happens every time that the roster has been accurately leaked.

Besides, like you said, even if he's not in the base game, there's always hope for DLC, especially since this time around, they aren't going to be remaking any veterans.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick reminder that he never said “everyone is here” was a thing, same goes for Chrom. K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Richter.

It’s not like he knows everything.

As much as I hate to admit it, he tends to be right about certain things, but he isn’t all-knowing.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Also wasn't a lot of his original claims made first by others? Like Stealth saying Simon?

And I saw a lot of leaks saying All Smash Wii U characters returning (strange he knew that and not everyone else)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
YouTuber PKSparxx says he got his hands on the game, and this happened:

I wanna say he's trolling, but I'm not sure.
He is, looking at his earlier comments he has this as a response, among other things:

Safe to say he's not being serious.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Let's hold out on jumping to conclusions. Seems like any discussion of characters are just stressful for the time being. I'll just be silent for a while till we get real news on the characters. With the amount of people just throwing characters under the bus and what not. I'll still be here but will post less. Still holding hope for Bandana Dee. Bye for now

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
just got a bandana Waddle Dee figure today that I want to show y’all but I don’t know how to post pictures on here lol

31fps

Banned via Warnings
I legit don't understand people who don't wand BWD in the game. It's either they don't know enough about Kirby to understand how deserving he is, they wan't other characters over him but still would like to see him in the game, or the genuinely don't want him in. The second possibility is fine, but honestly at this point if you know enough a bout Kirby you should want him. Kirby has been super underrepresented and we've been waiting for a small glimmer of hope for a decade. Realistically Kirby deserves more than stupid FE but that would put it on par with Mario so they'd have to add another fighter. But Kirby fans have been so patient, understanding and happy for others who have gotten who they wanted. Now it's our turn to just get one little fighter in the game and that will hold me off for quite some time--that is, until the pull some dumb crap again.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I legit don't understand people who don't wand BWD in the game. It's either they don't know enough about Kirby to understand how deserving he is, they wan't other characters over him but still would like to see him in the game, or the genuinely don't want him in. The second possibility is fine, but honestly at this point if you know enough a bout Kirby you should want him. Kirby has been super underrepresented and we've been waiting for a small glimmer of hope for a decade. Realistically Kirby deserves more than stupid FE but that would put it on par with Mario so they'd have to add another fighter. But Kirby fans have been so patient, understanding and happy for others who have gotten who they wanted. Now it's our turn to just get one little fighter in the game and that will hold me off for quite some time--that is, until the pull some dumb crap again.
Seriously, it boggles my mind that Metroid (no offense to any Metroid fans), a franchise that was, besides Smash, dead for 6 whole years (7 if you don't count Federation Force) until just last year, gets not one but two newcomers, while Kirby, which only missed 1 year in the past 8, not counting Virtual Console.

And then there's Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem (Again, no offense to any of their fans), that got 2 and 4 new reps respectively because of a mix of Smash boosting the popularity of those series and Sakurai Bias.

Just to put it into even more perspective: Link and Fire Emblem Awakening have as much representation as Kirby. Not TLOZ and Fire Emblem as series, but Link as a character and Awakening, as a single entry in the series.

And Sakurai, out of "fear of overrepresentation of his own series" ends up not only making Kirby as a series underrepresented, but leaves Modern Kirby with next to nothing.

And it's not like Kirby doesn't deserve it either: Kirby has outsold Metroid and Star Fox (again, no offense to their fans) combined. In addition, Kirby and Waddle Dee are extremely popular in Japan, with Bandana Dee being the #1 most wanted without competition, with the sole exception of Rex (and Pyra).

And what do Kirby Fans get? No new fighter since Brawl, and no meaningful Modern Kirby representation besides a couple of Final Smashes.

And I'm sorry to fans who want Marx (except if the reason you want him is so Bandana Dee doesn't get in), but he is not gonna cut it. Part of the reason why fans want Bandana Dee (or me, at least) is that there is no Modern Kirby representation, due to Sakurai Bias. All Marx is gonna do is make that problem worse. And then there's the fact that people put him on a high pedestal as if he was a main character and Bandana Dee is just a Hat Goomba, while it's. more like the other way around. All Marx did besides Super Star, its remake and Star Allies is appear in a couple of cameos (even fewer than Magolor), while Bandana Dee keeps appearing as Kirby's sidekick in games like Battle Royale and Rainbow Curse (where Dedede and MK were only cameos).

Despite the fact that Bandana Dee has become Kirby's sidekick and helps give the Waddle Dees importance to the actual games, people write him off as a "Har Goomba", without learning more about him or at least trying to understand why we like him.

Despite the fact that there hasn't been Kirby representation since Brawl, while franchises that have done less have gotten more than one rep and sub-sets of series have gotten equal representation to Kirby, in addition to Modern Kirby being treated like a separate franchise that Sakurai refuses to add, with the perfect candidate who's loved in Japan and Kirby's sidekick, and not only are we left in the dark, but we're just called idiots who want a Hat Goomba just because Gamexplain said so!

...Sorry. Had to get that off my chest. Again, no offense to any fans of those other games and series.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think Dee will be in because a new Kirby character was heavily requested in the ballot especially in Japan, with Isabelle we've seen they are still adding newcomers from recent games and compared to other characters Bandanna Dee would be easy to make since he basically already has a Smash moveset in Kirby and his shape makes him easy to animate compared to the more complicated human characters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Seriously, it boggles my mind that Metroid (no offense to any Metroid fans), a franchise that was, besides Smash, dead for 6 whole years (7 if you don't count Federation Force) until just last year, gets not one but two newcomers, while Kirby, which only missed 1 year in the past 8, not counting Virtual Console.

And then there's Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem (Again, no offense to any of their fans), that got 2 and 4 new reps respectively because of a mix of Smash boosting the popularity of those series and Sakurai Bias.

Just to put it into even more perspective: Link and Fire Emblem Awakening have as much representation as Kirby. Not TLOZ and Fire Emblem as series, but Link as a character and Awakening, as a single entry in the series.

And Sakurai, out of "fear of overrepresentation of his own series" ends up not only making Kirby as a series underrepresented, but leaves Modern Kirby with next to nothing.

And it's not like Kirby doesn't deserve it either: Kirby has outsold Metroid and Star Fox (again, no offense to their fans) combined. In addition, Kirby and Waddle Dee are extremely popular in Japan, with Bandana Dee being the #1 most wanted without competition, with the sole exception of Rex (and Pyra).

And what do Kirby Fans get? No new fighter since Brawl, and no meaningful Modern Kirby representation besides a couple of Final Smashes.

And I'm sorry to fans who want Marx (except if the reason you want him is so Bandana Dee doesn't get in), but he is not gonna cut it. Part of the reason why fans want Bandana Dee (or me, at least) is that there is no Modern Kirby representation, due to Sakurai Bias. All Marx is gonna do is make that problem worse. And then there's the fact that people put him on a high pedestal as if he was a main character and Bandana Dee is just a Hat Goomba, while it's. more like the other way around. All Marx did besides Super Star, its remake and Star Allies is appear in a couple of cameos (even fewer than Magolor), while Bandana Dee keeps appearing as Kirby's sidekick in games like Battle Royale and Rainbow Curse (where Dedede and MK were only cameos).

Despite the fact that Bandana Dee has become Kirby's sidekick and helps give the Waddle Dees importance to the actual games, people write him off as a "Har Goomba", without learning more about him or at least trying to understand why we like him.

Despite the fact that there hasn't been Kirby representation since Brawl, while franchises that have done less have gotten more than one rep and sub-sets of series have gotten equal representation to Kirby, in addition to Modern Kirby being treated like a separate franchise that Sakurai refuses to add, with the perfect candidate who's loved in Japan and Kirby's sidekick, and not only are we left in the dark, but we're just called idiots who want a Hat Goomba just because Gamexplain said so!

...Sorry. Had to get that off my chest. Again, no offense to any fans of those other games and series.
Metroid is a bit of a different situation.

With Kirby, we're currently asking for fourth core member of the franchise, fourth most important character you could say.

Metroid at the time only had Samus, and Samus again. There's good reason people wanted Ridley so badly, he's the main antagonist and is the second most recurring character, second most important, in the franchise. And he's so connected and important to the franchise, his signature theme is the most recurring song in the series.

And Dark Samus is just an echo.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
-Why would the final unlockable character in Smash 64 be Ness when they could have added a major character, like Bowser or Ganondorf?
-Why would the final unlockable character in Melee be Mr. Game & Watch when they don't even have Diddy Kong in the game?
-Why would the Duck Hunt Dog be the final unlockable character in Smash 4 when Metroid and Donkey Kong are still extremely underrepresented?
-Why is Bayonetta the Smash Ballot winner when I voted for a different character?

We don't necessarily know if Incineroar is going to be the final character in the base roster (Vergeben has also mentioned a mystery Square-Enix character; one of them would likely be DLC), but Ken (the one that we have some kind of evidence for) would almost definitely be an Echo Fighter, meaning that he took almost no work to make by comparison to anyone unique.

Heck, maybe there are more characters than what Vergeben and the box leak are indicating; I'm just trying to keep expectations reasonable considering that this sort of thing happens every time that the roster has been accurately leaked.

Besides, like you said, even if he's not in the base game, there's always hope for DLC, especially since this time around, they aren't going to be remaking any veterans.
Well when you bring up those points that does make sense, idk why I haven't thought about the previous games on how they picked characters and how it's similar to this situation, now I feel stupid:facepalm: (I wasn't here or focused much on the speculation period of the previous games so I wasn't thinking about them much). But yes I agree, we still don't know if it's just those two or there are more coming. All we have to do is wait and hope for the best :).

Edit: I still think we may get some requested fighters because of the ballot though, and some recent fighters that had nothing to do with the ballot. But we'll see.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I've had a thought. Take a look at our current unique newcomers everyone.

Untitled drawing.jpg

Take a look at the three on the right. Two of them are villains, but all three are big, strong, dark, manly, gritty characters, and older, classic characters debuting in the 80s-90s.

Now look at our very first and most recent newcomers on the right. Small, cute, colorful, lighthearted characters with yellow or orange being their respective primary colors, and both are newer faces in comparison to the other three, but are nonetheless prominent figures in their respective franchises and are very popular.

The two on the right seems a little outnumbered in comparison to the three on the left don't they? I wonder who could fit the above qualifications and even things out?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Untitled drawing (1).jpg

I wonder.........

(And yes, Dee technically debuted in the older Super Star, but we still associate him with Modern Kirby since RtDL is where he made his big break y'know?)

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory

The difference here is that Ultimate's modus operandi is supposedly based around fan service, as opposed to the entries before where Sakurai's personal judgement was what played the biggest role in a character getting in. This time we're really basing our hopes and predictions off of actual popularity, a trait that didn't matter much before in comparison to relevancy, promoting a game, being a retro character, things like that.

Obviously that's still alive and well in the form of the Belmonts and Isabelle, but characters like Ridley and K. Rool were considered impossible before. As such people aren't expecting a more or less 'non-hype' character like Incineroar to be the last and only character left to reveal, who didn't even exist during the time of the ballot.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I've had a thought. Take a look at our current unique newcomers everyone.

View attachment 165056

Take a look at the three on the right. Two of them are villains, but all three are big, strong, dark, manly, gritty characters, and older, classic characters debuting in the 80s-90s.

Now look at our very first and most recent newcomers on the right. Small, cute, colorful, lighthearted characters with yellow or orange being their respective primary colors, and both are newer faces in comparison to the other three, but are nonetheless prominent figures in their respective franchises and are very popular.

The two on the right seems a little outnumbered in comparison to the three on the left don't they? I wonder who could fit the above qualifications and even things out?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

View attachment 165058

I wonder.........

(And yes, Dee technically debuted in the older Super Star, but we still associate him with Modern Kirby since RtDL is where he made his big break y'know?)
I'm a pessimist, so I kinda see this as evidence against him, cuz we know how Sakurai is biased in many things. If he goes in one direction with something, it's hard to make him stop, especially seeing as to how there's a ton of evidence towards Incineroar. While he's more recent, he falls under the "big, strong, dark, manly, gritty character" group.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm a pessimist, so I kinda see this as evidence against him, cuz we know how Sakurai is biased in many things. If he goes in one direction with something, it's hard to make him stop.
Well, I made that post for fun really, I don't actually think that it's actual evidence pointing to Dee or anything, haha. I just thought it was kind of interesting when I compared the unique Newcomers, and that Bandana Dee would make a nice little thematic group with Isabelle and Inkling if he were revealed next.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

BWD: I don't like this new character Kirby, her smug aura mocks me.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well, I made that post for fun really, I don't actually think that it's actual evidence pointing to Dee or anything, haha. I just thought it was kind of interesting when I compared the unique Newcomers, and that Bandana Dee would make a nice little thematic group with Isabelle and Inkling if he were revealed next.
K. Makes sense, but I just hope that the box theory's wrong and they have more non-edgy/villain characters for us. That's kinda what separates Nintendo from the others, imo.

Top Bottom