• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Says who? You got any proof? How do you know he actually did anything?

Meanwhile in reality

This proves that Japan doesn't care for K.Rool. Until you have proof showing otherwise this will be treated as the truth
You have one image which doesn't show K. Rool in a top five. Meanwhile, we have two polls which quite clearly shows otherwise. Plus countless other sources which shows he was liked in Japan. Yet you keep looking at this one single image as proof that he wasn't, while demanding more proof from us, yet also constantly writing off what we have as "it's just westerners broadcasting their wants over what Japan really wanted". Make up your mind. Do you want us to bring proof that will sway you (which, spoiler alert, we have done), or will you just continue to write off everything we show you (which you are already doing)? You have nothing to gain pushing the narrative of "K. Rool wasn't popular in the east" using one image as facts, when we have countless other sources and images which are to the contrary to what you're pushing.
:060:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
View attachment 164463
Here's one plus the source gaming one now I have two and you only have one so I guess I win. I mean if you can ignore facts I can ignore your claim that the source gaming one isn't legit
That poll specifically points out that they only explect K.Rool.

Also didn't you say K.Rool was the top pick in Japan? Seems that Bandana Dee, Rex, and Spring Man all beat him.

K.Rool is only big in america. These polls have proved this. The Sourcegaming poll isn't a real poll thus is not allowed to be used

You have one image which doesn't show K. Rool in a top five. Meanwhile, we have two polls which quite clearly shows otherwise. Plus countless other sources which shows he was liked in Japan. Yet you keep looking at this one single image as proof that he wasn't, while demanding more proof from us, yet also constantly writing off what we have as "it's just westerners broadcasting their wants over what Japan really wanted". Make up your mind. Do you want us to bring proof that will sway you (which, spoiler alert, we have done), or will you just continue to write off everything we show you (which you are already doing)? You have nothing to gain pushing the narrative of "K. Rool wasn't popular in the east" using one image as facts, when we have countless other sources and images which are to the contrary to what you're pushing.
:060:
The proof shows K.Rool has nothing outside of America. That's all there is to it. You aren't to spread misinformation just to fake a character is more popular then they really are.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That poll specifically points out that they only explect K.Rool.

Also didn't you say K.Rool was the top pick in Japan? Seems that Bandana Dee, Rex, and Spring Man all beat him.

K.Rool is only big in america. These polls have proved this. The Sourcegaming poll isn't a real poll thus is not allowed to be used

The proof shows K.Rool has nothing outside of America. That's all there is to it. You aren't to spread misinformation just to fake a character is more popular then they really are.
There's more to the world than America and Japan, you know, and characters' popularity can shift in the time between the announcement of the Smash Ballot and E3 2018.

Also, can we get back on topic?

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Woah... What did I miss?
I must've started something when I posted a top 5 poll with BWD at number 1 on it...

An argument about King K. Rool's popularity was pointed out in comparison.

To end it all, there was no doubt that K. Rool was a known an wanted pick in Japan. That being said, I think that BWD and Rex usually out-polled him more frequently.

I would say that K. Rool was probably one of the highest picks worldwide. I wouldn't doubt him being #2 or #3 on the official ballot.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I must've started something when I posted a top 5 poll with BWD at number 1 on it...

An argument about King K. Rool's popularity was pointed out in comparison.

To end it all, there was no doubt that K. Rool was a known an wanted pick in Japan. That being said, I think that BWD and Rex usually out-polled him more frequently.

I would say that K. Rool was probably one of the highest picks worldwide. I wouldn't doubt him being #2 or #3 on the official ballot.
I’m assuming you’re talking about Xenoblade Rex, in which case, how did Rex out poll K Rool if he wasn’t even a character at the time?

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
People are just getting scared, really.

I think we just need to calm down and remember that there are still a few more trailers to go.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys here is this cute video to cheer us all up!

Whoever knew the anime would actually have answers to this.

I have to wonder how that feels. It just kinda... slips through their skin. They clearly have mouths, just no actual lips.

I wonder how utensils work with this.

D

Deleted member

I have no doubt King K. Rool was a popular choice, in Japan, and the west but that's me.

Bandana Dee's chances are still good we'll see.

The box theory thing probably does mean anything.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
You think BWD will be better than Kirby tier wise? I mean, Kirb is still pretty decent, as most of the demo players have said, Even being able to heal from projectiles or turn them into his own attacks now. He just can't deal with disjoints very well, like all of the Fire Emblem cast. Considering BWD will likely be a disjoint, how do y'all think he'll fair? Meta Knight really can't do anything to Kirby, so it probably depends on if they make him semi-strong, unlike a certain Knight.

D

Deleted member

I would imagine he would do pretty well overall character wise high tier possibly?

Maikou

Smash Ace
You think BWD will be better than Kirby tier wise? I mean, Kirb is still pretty decent, as most of the demo players have said, Even being able to heal from projectiles or turn them into his own attacks now. He just can't deal with disjoints very well, like all of the Fire Emblem cast. Considering BWD will likely be a disjoint, how do y'all think he'll fair? Meta Knight really can't do anything to Kirby, so it probably depends on if they make him semi-strong, unlike a certain Knight.
I honestly don't know. I personally ignore tier lists most of the time, and I'm kinda new to the competitive scene, still just practicing some of the simpler techniques. When I made my own moveset for Bandana Dee, I only added the percents because they seemed good and I just felt like I should for completeness. I do know one thing: Bandana Dee should always have a favorable matchup against Meta Knight. Lances beat swords, after all, and based on most of the movesets people have made here, Bandana Dee would generally have greater range than Meta Knight.

Actually, it'd be kinda hilarious if Bandana Dee beats Meta Knight, MK beats Dedede, and 3D beats BD in terms of matchup. Not only would Kirby represent the full Weapon Triangle before the FE characters, they'd exemplify it!

.....Thinking a little more on it, if "disjoint" means what I think it does (As in, the attack hitbox doesn't overlap with the character's hurtbox?) and those are Kirby's weakness, then yeah, Bandana Dee probably has the advantage against Kirby.

11th

Smash Apprentice
A little late to the discussion, but I'd still like to post this.

The problem with polls is that not everyone is going to read "most expected" and will just vote for their "most wanted" (or they're just that biased towards their wanted character(s)). While I doubt that the SG tally is way, way off, we don't know if every person who mentioned the characters (in a positive manner) would have actually voted for them through the Ballot, and if a lot of users were overconfident or not very confident it could have skewed the results. Japanese users were well aware of the popularity/"viability" lists that were being made in the West, and it's almost certain that those lists colored the perception of some folks on both sides.

Essentially, I read over 1,000 posts, tweets, etc and counted how often a character’s name was mentioned, and in what context. This time, I decided to add “points” based on how that user felt about the character. If a user felt that a character was a “shoo-in” then I awarded more points. On the reverse, if a character was seen as “less-likely” then they got less “points”. The reason I did this is because this method is highly ineffective for actually counting how much a character is requested. This is because with this method, I’m bound to pick up on the loudest fanbases. The loudest fanbase is not necessarily the biggest. Instead of acting like I can actually measure the biggest fanbase, I decided to fully embrace measuring the loud fanbases.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have a lot of truly accurate poll information for Japan, nor the West, because the polls can only show the results of those who saw them and participated at the time they were open, not of everyone who voted on the official ballot or who wants the character currently.

The point: Polls and post tallies are a reference, not the rule.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Bandana Dee is getting rerated in the RTC, come show your support.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think it's very well possible that Bandana Dee will get his own stage, that being the Megaton Punch Championship arena.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think it's very well possible that Bandana Dee will get his own stage, that being the Megaton Punch Championship arena.
NOOO

if we're getting a Kirby stage, WE NEED A MODERN KIRBY STAGE, WE NEED A MODERN KIRBY STAGE

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!!!

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Good news, you guys!

http://dotup.org/uploda/dotup.org1643534.jpg

While getting rid of the 103 stages theory isn't that big for you guys, it's a huge strike at the box theory, which I think you guys will love.

At the very least, something not box-related to discuss!
...It’s only been two days since Isabelle’s reveal.
Only two days.
Yet the tables might have turned back in our favour.
Nothing is guaranteed, nothing is.
But for now, it gives us something to hold on to.
Rejoice, everyone. Hold onto this newfound hope you may have regained.
For now, we’ve reclaimed our spot in the running.
The dream isn’t dead yet.

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Good news, you guys!

http://dotup.org/uploda/dotup.org1643534.jpg

While getting rid of the 103 stages theory isn't that big for you guys, it's a huge strike at the box theory, which I think you guys will love.

At the very least, something not box-related to discuss!
Wait what does it say?

Also on the box theory, It's complete BS lol. They only showed one side of the damn thing and who says there can't be other charters on other parts of the box (like the back). Not to mention that it would be odd for the marketing team to do something so very amateur in indirectly showing the amount of "slots" left before the game comes out as they know it would only cause chaos if they did.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about the box theory, as Vergeban feels pretty confident that there will be three new characters.

He confirmed he's 100% on Ken and Incineroar being in, and that he's pretty confident that a Square Enix Character will get in the base game. (I think the most likely one is Geno, but if not Sephiroth makes sense too)

This alongside the 108 stages has gave me a boost in confidence for Bandana Dee's chances in Smash.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
All the recent stuff kinda crushed my hopes for Bandana Dee. I'm sure I'll still love the game even if he's not in it, but I will be a bit disappointed. I'm not entirely sure why there being 108 stages instead of 103 is a mark against the box theory. How are they connected?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
All the recent stuff kinda crushed my hopes for Bandana Dee. I'm sure I'll still love the game even if he's not in it, but I will be a bit disappointed. I'm not entirely sure why there being 108 stages instead of 103 is a mark against the box theory. How are they connected?
Because if all of those other five stages were just returning stages, they would have shown them already. The idea is that at least a few of them would have to have been saved for new series/character reveals.

And if all we've got left is Incineroar and Ken, that would at most be one new Pokemon stage, as Ken would be an echo. Granted, not all five might have a character attached, but certainly more than one will. And the box theory only allows for one newbie. Or two, if Ken isn't there. But the only reason the box theory sounds credible is BECAUSE of Verge, so...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Because I believe that only new stages will be revealed from now on. If you look at the old stages not included in the game, they are all stages extremely similar to ones we already have (Sector Z) or stages that don't work well at all with Stage Morph (Jungle Hijinx).

So from that I can conclude that new stages will be mostly for new characters or something special (Minecraft Stage).

The biggest thing against the Box Theory though is Vergeban surprisingly. As he still believes that another Square Enix Character is on the way as well as Ken and Incineroar.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
With Isabelle being unique, we can still believe in curveballs, as I don't think a single person said Isabelle definitively WOULD be unique, the closest thing being Vergeben not specifying whether or not she'd be an echo. With that said, I believe we are in for a few crazy newcomers that completely demolish all leaks.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I might be saying something that’ll sound heretical in some people’s ears but hear me out.

...It may not necessarily be a bad thing if Bandana Dee’s left out of the base roster.

Again, hear me out. I got a reason for saying this.

So we all know that if Bandana Dee doesn’t get into the base game, he’s got an insanely good shot of becoming DLC, I think most of us can agree on that. And therein lies my thoughts: DLC is made after the game is done. Completely untethered from the initial Project Plan back in 2015/2016. If Bandana Dee becomes DLC, would this not give him even more moveset potential than he already had before planet robobot? Think about it. Moves can be taken from Battle Royale such as the Bubble projectile from Parasol and Gale Thrust from Spear. On top of that, we can actually see attacks being inspired from Star Allies. A lot of people bring up the elemental buffs that could have different effects, which would be cool. But why stop there? Give him a charge attack based on the Friend Train for a side special or dash attack, complete with a hat change like King K. Rool’s blunderbuss! We could even have a different Final Smash in the form of the Star Allies Sparkler instead of Megaton Punch. Sure, anyone that’s playable in Star Allies can use these, but who’s a better definition of an ally to Kirby than our Waddleman? I think he’d be perfect for it. Dee becoming DLC may help him stand out more as a fighter moreso than if he gets into the base roster.
Don’t get me wrong. I still REALLY want to see Bandana Dee get into the base roster, but if he doesn’t, we can still theorycraft for DLC, I think we can get a lot more creative with potential movesets if that happens. And if he does get in as DLC, we could be seeing something more special. Not saying a simple moveset is bad by any means (I’d still love a moveset of mostly Spear and Parasol attacks), but we could get more creative with it.

But who knows? Nothing’s set in stone yet. Personally, this helps me cope better if Dee doesn’t get into the base roster. I’m extremely sure Sakurai at least considered him if he doesn’t get in, and with more recent games coming out during Ultimate’s development, I think he could be inclined to take a look at them and be interested in visiting Dee again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, I might be saying something that’ll sound heretical in some people’s ears but hear me out.

...It may not necessarily be a bad thing if Bandana Dee’s left out of the base roster.

So we all know that if Bandana Dee doesn’t get into the base game, he’s got an insanely good shot of becoming DLC, I think most of us can agree on that. And therein lies my thoughts: DLC is made after the game is done. Completely untethered from the initial Project Plan back in 2015/2016. If Bandana Dee becomes DLC, would this not give him even more moveset potential than he already had before planet robobot? Think about it. Moves can be taken from Battle Royale such as the Bubble projectile from Parasol and Gale Thrust from Spear. On top of that, we can actually see attacks being inspired from Star Allies. A lot of people bring up the elemental buffs that could have different effects, which would be cool. But why stop there? Give him a charge attack based on the Friend Train for a side special or dash attack, complete with a hat change like King K. Rool’s blunderbuss! We could even have a different Final Smash in the form of the Star Allies Sparkler instead of Megaton Punch. Sure, anyone that’s playable in Star Allies can use these, but who’s a better definition of an ally to Kirby than our Waddleman? I think he’d be perfect for it. Dee becoming DLC may help him stand out more as a fighter moreso than if he gets into the base roster.
Don’t get me wrong. I still REALLY want to see Bandana Dee get into the base roster, but if he doesn’t, we can still theorycraft for DLC, I think we can get a lot more creative with potential movesets if that happens. And if he does get in as DLC, we could be seeing something more special. Not saying a simple moveset is bad by any means, but we could get more creative with it.

But who knows? Nothing’s set in stone yet. Personally, this helps me cope better if Dee doesn’t get into the base roster. I’m extremely sure Sakurai at least considered him if he doesn’t get in, and with more recent games coming out during Ultimate’s development, I think he could be inclined to take a look at them and be interested in visiting Dee again.
That's an interesting point. And personally if Bandanna Dee were to get in the base game I have a large amount of doubt that he'd bring a new Kirby stage with him. But if he's DLC, the chances of a new arena from the Pink Puff's games increases dramatically.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Don’t get me wrong. I still REALLY want to see Bandana Dee get into the base roster, but if he doesn’t, we can still theorycraft for DLC, I think we can get a lot more creative with potential movesets if that happens. And if he does get in as DLC, we could be seeing something more special. Not saying a simple moveset is bad by any means (I’d still love a moveset of mostly Spear and Parasol attacks), but we could get more creative with it.

On the other hand, if he's DeeLC he likely wouldn't get one of those amazing cinematics.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, I'm going to be very concerned if Dee doesn't make base roster for one reason... Marx. Now that Marx has made it into a modern Kirby game in a playable role, I can't help but think that Sakurai would yet again favor Super Star above all else and decide to put him in as DLC, especially since Marx's popularity for Smash has grown quite a bit since being added to Star Allies, so it's not like he wouldn't really be a fan favorite.

Your ideas from what they could add for Dee would be pretty cool for sure, but that's why Dee not making it into the base roster would really bum me out. He'd still have a shot for sure, but I can't help but feel Sakurai would favor Marx over him.

...Though by golly, if we could get BOTH of them then I'd be over the moon (Though I'd prefer Dark Matter over Marx tbh).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

That is a pretty compelling point. It's possible that just relying on his pre-Robobot appearances could stifle Dee's moveset potential, since Sakurai isn't the type to typically copypaste movesets from other games unless he had no other choice. A bit of a necessary weasel, so to speak.

Allowing others to get a spot in Dee's stead in the meantime would be a bonus, too.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Of the floated characters, he's my second most supported, so put me on the list.

I think there's hope for DeeLC.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee high character on a poll huh? That's cool. Nice too see.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm going to be very concerned if Dee doesn't make base roster for one reason... Marx. Now that Marx has made it into a modern Kirby game in a playable role, I can't help but think that Sakurai would yet again favor Super Star above all else and decide to put him in as DLC, especially since Marx's popularity for Smash has grown quite a bit since being added to Star Allies, so it's not like he wouldn't really be a fan favorite.

Your ideas from what they could add for Dee would be pretty cool for sure, but that's why Dee not making it into the base roster would really bum me out. He'd still have a shot for sure, but I can't help but feel Sakurai would favor Marx over him.

...Though by golly, if we could get BOTH of them then I'd be over the moon (Though I'd prefer Dark Matter over Marx tbh).
Eh. Don’t see Marx happening before Dee. I feel people put too much stock into Sakurai bias. We’ve already seen modern Kirby references through victory animations, Final Smashes, and costumes. Not to mention the scrapped epic yarn stage that was only remade into GCO because Yoshi’s Woolly World was thematically similar, but more relevant. And despite Marx’s playable appearance, Dee still got him beat by a long shot worldwide in terms of popularity, and even Magolor beats him Japan.
That’s my take on it anyway. Marx now just genuinely feels like how Sceptile felt during smash 4 DLC speculation. I honestly find it difficult to believe that he’d give Marx priority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom