• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Evening Bandana Dee supporters. Just thought I would throw my support out for the cutest little spear user around. I was lucky enough to get my number one most wanted pick in the latest direct. If the next one was to reveal Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong as an echo, I would literally have every character I really care about in smash bros.

I would really appreciate Bandanna Dee getting in for the simple fact that it would be kind of interesting to have a kirby character that doesnt have multiple jumps ((which bandanna dee can only really do in game because he needs to be able to traverse the same levels as the othe three members of his crew.)). The trade off being that he would hopefully have much better air speed then the other three Kirby reps, who generally dont travel through the air that fast likely as a balance for their multi jumps.

A small character wielding a weapon with such long range, really would help the little guy stand out. While there are plenty of popular kirby characters among kirby fans, most really only show up in a single game and really dont have enough use to be considered a staple character of the series. Adding someone like Magalor or Marx would of been akin to adding Lord Fredrick from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze instead of K.Rool. No one is saying they couldnt be potentially fun and that they dont have fans, but with kirby swapping out villains every new game, its hard to really see any one of them taking this spot ((Although skull kid could potentially get in so from what we have been hearing, so maybe thats all a bunch of baloney))

Kirby's Return To Dreamland really gave Bandanna Dee his lucky break. Whether his role is playable or just someone in the background tossing items for you, you cannot deny that fact that out of all the other Kirby characters, BD has been one of few to stick.

The funny thing is the only thing going against Bandanna Dee's chances arent any of the typical "Goomba with a hat" reasons. Instead its more the fact that we may not have all that many spots for brand new new comers. If they wish to stop at 70 brand non echo new comers, that means we only have 3 slots less, 2 if pokemon gets one. Competition is gonna be tight and unless Sakurai decides to put in DLC fighters ((which may be against his idea due to the fact of wanting to have that poster of all the characters completed before the games launch)) Bandanna Dee is gonna have to fight tooth and nail for his chance to shine.

Its hard to say what will happen, but I 100% give my best regards to BD and hope you guys get a fourth kirby rep. If metroid ((and hopefully DK)) have four reps, then kirby deserves a 4th member hands down.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It's 100% going to be Megaton Punch. It's one of Kirby's most iconic songs not yet remixed in Smash Bros.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, most people who are a bit unfamiliar with Dee would probably expect some sort of cute and happy song for a character like him. Megaton Punch, a heavy and hardcore piece of music would subvert expectations and perhaps establish Dee as more than the simple mook that they might see him as. It would really sell how he's a true powerhouse who's not to be underestimated... especially if someone ends up kicking the bucket in his trailer like all the other trailers so far.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Now that I think about it, most people who are a bit unfamiliar with Dee would probably expect some sort of cute and happy song for a character like him. Megaton Punch, a heavy and hardcore piece of music would subvert expectations and perhaps establish Dee as more than the simple mook that they might see him as. It would really sell how he's a true powerhouse who's not to be underestimated... especially if someone ends up kicking the bucket in his trailer like all the other trailers so far.
I'm 99% sure that the Bandana Dee reveal trailer will involve the Megaton Punch Championship and will have characters that are good at punching like Little Mac. So maybe Little Mac is on the chopping block.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I'll raise another Return to Dream Land piece. Specificially the part around 0:19 I think would be good reveal trailer music for BD if they remixed it to focus on that part. I can see that put over a move set compilation.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Hey, hold on. Has anybody considered something from the Rainbow Curse OST? That soundtrack is phenomenal, and fits with his role in the story.

Found something that could work, I think!
Rainbow Curse’s OST is something I looked at, and my personal choice would be this:

Though, to be fair. I’d choose either this or something out of Battle Royale’s OST.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm 99% sure that the Bandana Dee reveal trailer will involve the Megaton Punch Championship and will have characters that are good at punching like Little Mac. So maybe Little Mac is on the chopping block.
I do feel that the Megaton Punch Championship is the best set-up for Bandana Dee's reveal trailer, but that doesn't mean someone has to die. Get wrecked, yes. Die? No.

I imagine the reveal would involve Little Mac landing a ground-shaker, but then Bandana Dee's punch sends Mac blasting off over the crowd, along with, of course, cracking the planet in half.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Megaton Punch Championship with Little Mac in it would be perfect for the trailer.
Instead of having a death, we could have Bandana Dee destroying the planet with his punch. But a little piece of the planet goes far away in space, and Little Mac is alone on it with a face like "seems like i'm not coming back anytime soon". That could be fun.

Last edited:

WinOrTroll

Smash Rookie
Bandana Dee's trailer would probably have this song in the background imo:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys are gonna be super happy. One of the largest gaming magazines in Japan had 2 Smash polls; Who is the most desired character, and who is the most expected character. Note: This poll was taken before the direct

The most desired Smash characters in all of Japan are

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

The most expected characters are

1.Rex
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (the poll goes out of it's way to state that Dee's placement comes from the sheer desire from fans to see him in)
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

When people say that Bandana Dee wouldn't be hype, just remember that he's basically Ridley x10 in Japan's Smash community.
Just to make sure, is this from the Famitsu magazine and do we know the sample size?

I say this because if if the former is the case and the sample size is in the thousands, which is a good indication according to any reliable political poll, that's a strong case to make him DeeLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So King K. Rool was the last character I supported for his fans alone, because I had no personal investment in him. I am soooo glad he's in now! It feels great to see him playable in the game.

Now I've moved on to Bandanna Dee as my most supported character that I have no investment in. As you can see in my signature I even think he is the most likely newcomer. I really hope you guys get who you want in!

Quick question for his fans, what do you think his name will be in the game? I know Bandanna Dee appeared on the Triple Deluxe site but that was only in America and just in one spot. Personally I think his name will just be Waddle Dee. Bandanna Waddle Dee is too much of a mouthful for me lol.

Sakurai could use Bandanna Dee though, he did create the name Duck Hunt for the dog and duck duo. Thoughts?

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
So King K. Rool was the last character I supported for his fans alone, because I had no personal investment in him. I am soooo glad he's in now! It feels great to see him playable in the game.

Now I've moved on to Bandanna Dee as my most supported character that I have no investment in. As you can see in my signature I even think he is the most likely newcomer. I really hope you guys get who you want in!

Quick question for his fans, what do you think his name will be in the game? I know Bandanna Dee appeared on the Triple Deluxe site but that was only in America and just in one spot. Personally I think his name will just be Waddle Dee. Bandanna Waddle Dee is too much of a mouthful for me lol.

Sakurai could use Bandanna Dee though, he did create the name Duck Hunt for the dog and duck duo. Thoughts?
If the OP is any indication, Sakurai has acknowledged Bandana Dee's importance in the Kirby Series himself. So I think that just "Waddle Dee" is unlikely. And while Bandana Waddle Dee is a mouthful, Smash 4 has "Rosalina and Luma", Which has 7 consonants syllables (what was I thinking). One more than Bandana Waddle Dee. So I consider "Bandana Waddle Dee" very likely considering we've had precedent of long names in-game. Though I wouldn't count Bandana Dee out of the question just yet, as, as you mentioned, "Bandana Dee" was used on the Triple Deluxe site. (Although Bandana Waddle Dee was used as well.)

In terms of likelihood, I consider BWD > BD > WD. Though my personal preference is BD > BWD > WD.

EDIT: I shouldn't forget to thank you for your support! :p

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If the OP is any indication, Sakurai has acknowledged Bandana Dee's importance in the Kirby Series himself. So I think that just "Waddle Dee" is unlikely. And while Bandana Waddle Dee is a mouthful. Smash 4 has "Rosalina and Luma". Which has 7 consonants, one more than Bandana Waddle Dee. So I consider "Bandana Waddle Dee" very likely considering we've had precedent of long names in-game. Though I wouldn't count Bandana Dee out of the question just yet, as, as you mentioned, "Bandana Dee" was used on the Triple Deluxe site. (Although Bandana Waddle Dee was used as well.)

In terms of likelihood, I consider BWD > BD > WD. Though my personal preference is BD > BWD > WD.

EDIT: I shouldn't forget to thank you for your support! :p
I just went through the Rosalina & Luma thing in my head yesterday XD! I still can't believe that's her character name.

Yea Bandanna Dee would be much better but hey if he's in the game I don't think any of us will care what he's called lol. I really do think he's likely...kind of feeling a late reveal due to his fan demand in Japan.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I just went through the Rosalina & Luma thing in my head yesterday XD! I still can't believe that's her character name.

Yea Bandanna Dee would be much better but hey if he's in the game I don't think any of us will care what he's called lol. I really do think he's likely...kind of feeling a late reveal due to his fan demand in Japan.
I'm still holding out hope for a general direct in September, just before TGS. Considering, as you mentioned, his fan demand is by far the biggest in Japan, I feel like he makes a lot of sense as a prelude to TGS to hype up the Japanese audience. Or I'm theorizing a bit too far here.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Bandanna Dee is one of few characters with strong fan demand left after The big bad lizards got in along with Simon, Dark Samus and Lucina's Dad while serveral characters got the Assist trophy treatment.

We've seen Chef Kawasaki as a new Assist trophy so he seems to have avoided that fate. Question is, was he demanded enough to get the playable treatment.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm still holding out hope for a general direct in September, just before TGS. Considering, as you mentioned, his fan demand is by far the biggest in Japan, I feel like he makes a lot of sense as a prelude to TGS to hype up the Japanese audience. Or I'm theorizing a bit too far here.
I'm actually theorizing a general direct around that time for TGS and the online services so that's a great point!

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Hi Waddle Dee fans, it's been a while since I've been on this thread, but I just want to say a few things about my support for this character!

I started Smash speculation when Smash 4 was announced, and the two main characters I was rooting for was Isaac (who is my #1) and Waddle Dee (who is my #2). Although they were both relatively popular, it was disappointing when neither of those top two wishes appeared in Smash 4 in any form. But with the Smash ballot coming around and seeing how well both characters did on fan polls, I really think both are a possibility.

I'm sorry I haven't been on this thread too much, mostly because I've been focusing on supporting Isaac. However, I think a lot of Smash speculators on the Internet underestimate Waddle Dee's potential to be in this next game. I've seen people say that he is unlikely simply because a moveset would be difficult to create or because he's nowhere near as popular as other contenders, and both of these are not true at all! In fact, sometimes I get kind of upset when people cast Waddle Dee aside as if he is overrated, because there is literally nothing against him being in Smash this time around.

I've been so optimistic about Isaac that a lot of times I forget about Waddle Dee, and I think this time around he has a really good shot to snatch one of the few slots left on the roster. If there's a supporter list and I'm not on it yet, please add me!

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Quick question guys, look at the last Spear attack in this video.

Do you think this is too similar to Little Mac's standard special to be included in BD's moveset?

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
There's only four FE clones. Ike, Robin, and Corrin are completely unique.

And no, I don't think the move is too similar. It could work as either his Side Smash or neutral special.
i was making a small joke but ya that could work for his standard B move.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I did some calculations to see if music could give us hints to newcomers.

Kirby:
31 in Smash 4
39 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

Metroid:
17 in Smash 4
25 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

DK:
19 in Smash 4
20 or more in Smash Ult (we only know of K.Rool's new theme)

Daaaang dudes. Things are looking REALLY good!

Note: Yoshi has only 2 new songs, Starfox only 3 new songs, and Wii Fit only 4 new songs. This seems to correlate with the fact that they probably won't get another fighter. More music possibly means newcomer!

Edit: Forgot! Sonic has 6 new songs. This also supports my "newcomer = more music" theory since, as we all know, Shadow is almost for sure happening.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

Kirby:
31 in Smash 4
39 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

Metroid:
17 in Smash 4
25 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

DK:
19 in Smash 4

Note: Yoshi has only 2 new songs, Starfox only 3 new songs, and Wii Fit only 4 new songs. This seems to correlate with the fact that they probably won't get another fighter. More music possibly means newcomer!

Edit: Forgot! Sonic has 6 new songs. This also supports my "newcomer = more music" theory since, as we all know, Shadow is almost for sure happening.
Hey uh...is this music information coming from the recent direct or what cuz I'd really like to know how many songs the Miis have.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

Kirby:
31 in Smash 4
39 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

Metroid:
17 in Smash 4
25 in Smash Ult
8 new songs

DK:
19 in Smash 4

I want to bellieve.

I WANT TO BUHLEEVE.

Hey uh...is this music information coming from the recent direct or what cuz I'd really like to know how many songs the Miis have.
We don't know. Considering the Mii logo wasn't found, Any Mii related songs (like the ones on the find mii stage) are under the "other" section of the Music section from the Direct is any indication. So we can't really say for sure.
EDIT: I suppose it's possible they're under the Smash section, Miis *did* have the smash logo as their series logo in smash 4, after all. But we didn't get a number for that. So we can't really estimate any guesses how many songs (like FD, BF, etc.) we'd have to detract for an accurate number of potential Mii songs.

Last edited:

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I’m trying to stay optimistic but also feel like I’m setting myself up for dissapointment I just wish we could see the final roster and assist trophies already to end this nervousness

Calane

Smash Ace
I skimmed through the support list and couldn't seem to find myself. If I'm not on there, I'd really like to be added.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah I was starting to have doubts too.

But I also believe that we've seen every stage, and combined with the sound test menu. I don't believe we're getting any more characters from new franchises unless it's something like R.O.B. eh Diskun

And when you consider that all remaining newcomers are from pre existing franchises. That really narrows down who they could add, Bandana Dee is definitely near the top of the pile from that point of view

I made another topic where go in a bit more depth if you want to check it out

EDIT: does anyone know how many minutes of Kirby music was in Smash for, counting the game songs?

Smash Ultimate has 1:14 minutes of Kirby songs. I wonder if this will indicate anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, the more I've been thinking about it, the more likely I see Bandana Dee. I would give him a 70% chance of happening really.
I honestly can't ignore the Toad argument because he is one of the most popular Nintendo characters not playable in Smash and it seems like even Captain Toad won't be playable. It could be possible Sakurai would feel the same about Bandana Dee in some respect.
What makes him likely to me is his popularity and support (I'm sure he did extremely well on the ballot), his most recent and relevant roles (which might not mean much now thanks to K. Rool, but Hal is pushing for BD), and his easy-to-make moveset. The first point is the most important one IMO because of the newcomers we've been getting are all popular choices.
I'm not expecting Bandana Dee to happen, but I feel like he might happen. I would be ecstatic since I've wanted him for so long.

We just got K. Rool and I'm already starving for information.

That's what happens when they don't show us Bandana Dee's fate.
I've already been starving for more information after the Direct. I guess we will have to wait for another month or two just for another Direct or random trailer like Robin.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, captain toad likely isint in due to his lack of jumping skills being a key part ofhis games. It could possibly be worked around, but the mario franchise already has the most reps. Though characters who appear in the background have been characters before (toon link from spirit tracks).

Unless they are making the villain theme a definite thing, i really cant see them choosing anyone but Bandanna Dee. Marx would likely be a boss (though i hope they use Dark matter/ Zero). Bandanna getting the stickers with the main crew in Robobot really cements that feeling. The big question is whether Kirby will get a rep at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I seriously doubt Dee will be left out this time. His fan demand in Japan alone is huge, and the SourceGaming research listed him as one of the top 3 most wanted newcomers and top 5 most wanted characters overall. He's the only one of that group that has yet to be revealed.

Last edited:

rcp24

Smash Rookie
Can I be added to the supporters list?

I think he's pretty likely and has become one of the more iconic Kirby characters. Also, the argument that he shouldn't be playable because he is just a generic enemy in a hat is silly. He has more personality than that and I'd totally play as a generic goomba in a hat too.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I’m trying to stay optimistic but also feel like I’m setting myself up for dissapointment I just wish we could see the final roster and assist trophies already to end this nervousness
Ah, but what if there's DLC? If he's neither in the final roster or an Assist Trophy, then your nervousness will continue as we await to see if he'll be added in via DLC.

In any case, I'm erring on the side of optimism. I've always considered him one of the most likely of newcomers, alongside the likes of King K. Rool (who is playable), Dixie Kong, Ashley (who isn't playable), and Isabelle, so I feel safe in believing in his chances. Besides, whilst I'll be more downhearted if he isn't in, I'd rather go about my days waiting for the full roster of SSBU with a hopeful and happy outlook.

If Bandana Dee isn't in the base roster, then I'll just have to chant for my 4th most wanted to get in as DLC!

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I want to bellieve.

I WANT TO BUHLEEVE.

We don't know. Considering the Mii logo wasn't found, Any Mii related songs (like the ones on the find mii stage) are under the "other" section of the Music section from the Direct is any indication. So we can't really say for sure.
EDIT: I suppose it's possible they're under the Smash section, Miis *did* have the smash logo as their series logo in smash 4, after all. But we didn't get a number for that. So we can't really estimate any guesses how many songs (like FD, BF, etc.) we'd have to detract for an accurate number of potential Mii songs.
Just saying, at least 2 Miitopia songs should get in because the ost for that game is 10/10

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Hey guys, been a while huh. This has exploded and our Dee population has grown a lot since I was last here like a month ago. He's coming everyone, just be patient!

Top Bottom