• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Sometimes, I wonder where we'd all be if Bandana Dee wasn't prominent enough to be recognized as a potential fighter for Smash.

Would we be rooting for just a simple Waddle Dee? Or any of the other "cooler" Kirby characters people keep raving about?
Considering that he's my #1 most wanted character at the moment, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had fallen off of Smash Speculation completely aside from maybe some bandwagoning for other characters like Crash and Rayman.

Or maybe, in an alternative universe we'd all be Adeleine fans battling Sakurai's bias against human-like characters in Kirby games, with every other aspect of Kirby, both classic and modern, already being completely and fairly represented.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Sometimes, I wonder where we'd all be if Bandana Dee wasn't prominent enough to be recognized as a potential fighter for Smash.

Would we be rooting for just a simple Waddle Dee? Or any of the other "cooler" Kirby characters people keep raving about?
Considering that he's my #1 most wanted character at the moment, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had fallen off of Smash Speculation completely aside from maybe some bandwagoning for other characters like Crash and Rayman.

Or maybe, in an alternative universe we'd all be Adeleine fans battling Sakurai's bias against human-like characters in Kirby games, with every other aspect of Kirby, both classic and modern, already being completely and fairly represented.
I think a good place to start would be asking who player 4 in Return to Dream Land would have been if not Bandana Dee; that was really the lynchpin that made him important. I think it would have been either Marx or Adeleine, myself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think a good place to start would be asking who player 4 in Return to Dream Land would have been if not Bandana Dee; that was really the lynchpin that made him important. I think it would have been either Marx or Adeleine, myself.
I mean, it wasn't even going to be Kirby's Return to Dream Land; It was originally just Kirby GCN, with more Helpers. If it weren't for the more continuity-focused direction Shinya Kumazaki took the series, I'm not even sure we'd have much support for another Kirby character. Then again, Brawl gave Kirby quite the bump, so that might be it too.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I mean, we could easily live in a world where Return to Dreamland had 4 player, but the only true characters playable were Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight. The 4th person probably would be a "helper/friend", just like Super Star /Allies.

To be fair, some helpers/friends have enough unique things that they could legit have a smash moveset. Kirby is just one of those series where anyone who's ever had a playable role as of Star Allies has a plausible moveset. But realistically, I guess a normal Waddle Dee would probably have been our best bet.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Without Bandanna Dee, im pretty sure there would be no 4th rep for Kirby fans to rally on, making it the same situation as Zelda, which is NOT a good thing at all.

Everybody always says "we need another Zelda rep!" but nobody agrees on who. Impa? Ganon? Tingle? Skull Kid? Midna? Nobody seems to agree on an idea and push it.

Bandanna Dee on the other hand, is undeniably the most popular choice for a new Kirby character, and the only one that seems to go toe to toe with other popular requests in general.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There’s this online activity book that’s kinda like Where’s Waldo, where you have to find different colored Kirbies. Bandana Dee appears every now and then.
ive always wondered why you guys called him waldo

SharkLord

Smash Hero

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This may sound a bit petty, but screw it. They mentioned BandDee INSTEAD of Meta Knight!
Our boy is rising up to the top of the friends list!
I did notice that, although at the same time, he's not on the icon.

Pretty exciting to me, always like me some new Kirby stuff. I wonder if it will be more balanced or more dumb fun.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So combined with the description and promo image, we can see a good chunk of the roster:

1600874241580.png

1. Sword
  2. Wrestler
  3. Staff
  4. Yo-Yo
  5. Fighter
  6. Beam
  7. Ninja
  8. Bandana Waddle Dee
  9. King Dedede
  10. Meta Knight
  11. Magolor
  12. Cutter (Probably)
and there's also a character fighting Ninja who I can't quite put my finger on. Not counting them in case it's Bandana Dee. Yeah it's probably Cutter

That's 11, which is one away from how many 12, which is as many as we had in KFDeluxe. It's 99% gonna have a larger roster than Deluxe, but I'm wondering how much larger.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So combined with the description and promo image, we can see a good chunk of the roster:

1. Sword
  2. Wrestler
  3. Staff
  4. Yo-Yo
  5. Fighter
  6. Beam
  7. Ninja
  8. Bandana Waddle Dee
  9. King Dedede
  10. Meta Knight
  11. Magolor
and there's also a character fighting Ninja who I can't quite put my finger on. Not counting them in case it's Bandana Dee.

That's 11, which is one away from how many we had in KFDeluxe. It's 99% gonna have a larger roster than Deluxe, but I'm wondering how much larger.
I think that's a Kirby with Cutter fighting Ninja.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Supposedly, it has an entirely new Wrestler ability, and non-Kirby characters are playable. At the very least, it specified King Dedede and Bandana Waddle Dee himself.
I hope all of the Dream Friends of Star Allies are playable here. They already have the assests, so i don't think it would be too hard.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I hope all of the Dream Friends of Star Allies are playable here. They already have the assests, so i don't think it would be too hard.
I feel like a lot of them would be in need of balancing, especially combat-oriented ones like Dark Meta Knight and Marx. Still, if HAL already has the assets, I think they should be able to change things up enough to keep them balanced while still keeping them in. At the very least, it seems that Bandana Dee and Magolor are in; Seeing as they've become the fourth and fifth main characters by now, that isn't all that surprising.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think we're gonna get most of the dream friends/abilities from Star Allies, but not all of them.

Triple Deluxe had 26 Abilities (22 if you don't count "impractical" abilities Crash, Hypernova, Mike and Sleep), and only 12 made it into Deluxe.

Star Allies has 28 Abilities, with 23 if you don't count "impractical" abilities Cook, Crash, Festival, Mike, and Sleep. Add the 13 Dream Friends and you would have 41/36 Characters in Star Allies, with a 37th being Wrestler.

Let's say we have rogughtly the same ratio of fighters game to mainline game, in terms of characters. 12/22 = ~54.55%. 54.55% x 36 Star Allies characters = 19.64. Counting "impractical" abilities, we have 12/26 = 46.15%. x 41 Star Allies characters = 18.92.

So rounding down our lower calculation and rounding up our higher calculation, we could expect 18-20 characters, which is a reasonable estimate, IMO.

Since sure there are quite a few "practical" abilities like Stone or Suplex that are unlikely (especially the latter, considering Wrestler's now a thing made specifically for this game) and there's a possibility that some "impractical" abilities may get the BR Sleep treatment, there are bound to be some inaccuracies in the measurement, but I think that gives us a good estimate to start with.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well that was the shortest speculation cycle EVER. I mean, I knew launch was gonna be close. Just not that close. Imagine going back 24 Hours in time and trying to convince your past self of THAT.

Good news: There were 22 characters. Not so good news: only 5 are not Kirby himself. Here's hoping for DLC!

Already purchased and downloading.

Also gonna love seeing Deetractors desperately cling to their "MaRx iS iMpoRtAnT" after this

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee render:

No talk, me angy.
It's beautiful...
Well, considering Bandana Dee is used as Kirby's buddy for the story mode, I think we can finally, finally lay the "he's not important!" argument to rest.

I mean, we all knew he was important, but it's nice to see another affirmation.
The fact that Gooey, of all people, gets to duke it out with confirmed mainstays is just the cherry on top.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee render:

No talk, me angy.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate this render? It perfectly encapsulates who Bandana Dee is! "He may look like a Waddle Dee. He may BE a Waddle Dee, but he is anything but just a Waddle Dee! He is a fighter who has trained in the art of the Spear for years, and has joined the battle as a playable character to prove it! And if you dare cross him or Kirby, he'll prove it to you too!" That's the vibe I get from this render and I L O V E it!

(Bonus points that he's the only Starter Buddy and one of only 4 Starter Fighters)

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Always nice to see the boi getting some love in a new installment. Though I noticed that they decided to change the color of the ribbon around his spear; now it's an orange-yellow instead of red like it's always been until now. I wonder why they decided to make that change now? Maybe they wanted to differentiate his spear from Spear Kirby's? If so, I feel like blue (a different shade from his bandanna) would have been a better choice since that's sort of his signature color (heck, they even named his track on the second Kirby Cafe OST "Brilliant Blue"), but it's an interesting decision regardless.

Top Bottom