• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Marx is my most wanted Kirby character, but I feel like it would be so wrong if he got in before Bandana Dee. But after Dee get's in though, Marx all the way baby!
(Before I get outed as a Marx hater), I would genuinely support practically any potential Kirby character after Bandana Dee.
Although, I think I'd actually want Dark Matter (Swordsman) after Bandana Dee.
:4bowserjr: and :rosalina: were actually popular requests.
People are still clamoring for a Mario Galaxy 3 title, and considering that Jr. and Rosalina starred in those core Mario titles (Jr. in Sunshine and NSMB series) as well, I'm not surprised by their popularity.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
(Before I get outed as a Marx hater), I would genuinely support practically any potential Kirby character after Bandana Dee.
Although, I think I'd actually want Dark Matter (Swordsman) after Bandana Dee.
Honestly, there isn't a single Kirby character I can bring myself to hate. After BWD, I'll probably move on to supporting another character, like Magolor or Galacta Knight.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know after Dee gets in, I'm hedging my bets between Magolor, Marx and Adeleine. Whoever gets in, I win because they're all characters I adore. Pipe dream is Prince Fluff, not even getting in, just being taken seriously in Kirby discussion.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like casually popular and not fan popular if that makes any sense?
I mean.

Jr. was a pretty popular request in hardcore Smash circles too.

Rosalina had general popularity mostly.

Casuals are fans too. :4larry:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Why are people arguing that Bandana Dee has to be next Kirby rep? Just remember that we got Min Min over Spring Man. Sadly, Bandana Dee has no “main character” armor.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I imagine a 3D Kirby game where you can roam around Dreamland, interact with the characters as well a feature where you can give anyone a hug.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Why are people arguing that Bandana Dee has to be next Kirby rep? Just remember that we got Min Min over Spring Man. Sadly, Bandana Dee has no “main character” armor.
That was only for Arms when the director said that everyone was the main protagonist.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Moreover in terms of fan demand for ARMS characters, its not as if Spring Man was that much higher than Min Min. With Kirby, Dee is by far the most popular request from that IP in poll after poll. That doesn't guarantee he'll get in, but its a heck of a gulf between him and even well liked characters like Marx. Its like with DK; Funky Kong has some scattered support for Smash, yet its nothing compared to Dixie's.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd reply, but people have already made my point.

That was only for Arms when the director said that everyone was the main protagonist.
Moreover in terms of fan demand for ARMS characters, its not as if Spring Man was that much higher than Min Min. With Kirby, Dee is by far the most popular request from that IP in poll after poll. That doesn't guarantee he'll get in, but its a heck of a gulf between him and even well liked characters like Marx. ITts like with DK, Funky Kong has some scattered support for Smash, yet its nothing compared to Dixie's.
Just because ARMS has an ensemble cast doesn't mean the same applies to Kirby unless Kumazaki explicitly says so. Plus, Spring Man had some pretty big competition in the popularity department, while Bandana Dee consistently ranks among the top ten in fan polls. His only real obstacle is if Sakurai wants more Kirby content.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
That debate is only relevant to the protagonist first "rule". Kirby's already in Smash Bros., and the door's wide open for subsequent reps from a series to be supporting characters. Whether Nintendo actually wants to sell a supporting character as DLC is another thing entirely and remains to be seen...

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
That debate is only relevant to the protagonist first "rule". Kirby's already in Smash Bros., and the door's wide open for subsequent reps from a series to be supporting characters. Whether Nintendo actually wants to sell a supporting character as DLC is another thing entirely and remains to be seen...
So we know that Nintendo is essentially only choosing characters who are main characters for DLC. (Even in Fire Emblem's case, they promoted a new game with a new character as the main character of that respective game). ARMS introduced a case in which "everyone is the main character"; therefore, it was easy for Nintendo/Sakurai to pick any character that they wanted. Like someone mentioned earlier, this doesn't apply to any other franchise.
Case in point, Terry was specifically chosen as the rep for Fatal Fury/KOF without any mentions of potentially choosing anyone else besides him.

In terms of the Kirby series, it's pretty clear that Bandana Dee has established (and is continuing to establish) his role as a main character within the franchise.
Therefore, I believe that he still has a chance but only under certain conditions which have to line up perfectly in order for someone like him to even possibly be considered:

- The release of a Kirby game conveniently falling into the window for the DLC period
- Bandana Dee having a significant playable role within that game

I mean, he doesn't even need to have his name on the box (as proven by the names of other franchises/games), but he should be someone who you could pick up and play with ease so you could get to know him over the course of the game.

That's also why I'm unconvinced that characters like Marx would be chosen if they didn't have a significant playable role.
Dare I say it, that's why I believe that we won't see a single villain for the rest of the DLC because of the focus on significant, playable roles.
(Unless said villain is conveniently and notably playable throughout the course of a certain game).

Also, the whole "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X (Franchises/Game)" could easily be fulfilled by specifically promoting the newest Kirby game (akin to Fire Emblem: Three Houses being the newest Fire Emblem game). "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Kirby" simply wouldn't do.

The next Kirby game is supposed to be the "pinnacle of the series" anyway, so who knows? Maybe Nintendo would want to take advantage of that if Star Allies didn't perform well enough to their liking.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I find it weird that the main character debate is relevant again when Sakurai did an interview on Piranha. His reasoning for adding the character can be paraphrased: Smash isn't just about heroes or villains, it's about iconic characters. Ironically, as far as I can tell, Plant is the only character Not counting oddities like G&W and R.O.B. who fits that role. I wonder if this idea would be less brought if Sakurai's initial dragon quest character idea, Slime, had been the one he went with.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Bandana Dee has 12 years of perfect attendance on the series.
I get that some people prefer other Kirby characters or maybe a villain like Dark Matter, but denying Bandana Dee as part of the main cast is factually wrong at this point.

Min Min being chosen over Spring Man was because of her popularity. I can't think of any other reason why the ARMS director would say otherwise.
Who's the most requested and popular Kirby character to add to Smash by far? Who's the current director of the Kirby series and the man that put Bandana Dee in the spot he is now? Exactly.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I get that some people prefer other Kirby characters or maybe a villain like Dark Matter, but denying Bandana Dee as part of the main cast is factually wrong at this point.

Min Min being chosen over Spring Man was because of her popularity. I can't think of any other reason why the ARMS director would say otherwise.
Who's the most requested and popular Kirby character to add to Smash by far? Who's the current director of the Kirby series and the man that put Bandana Dee in the spot he is now? Exactly.
That video almost makes up for everything Prosafia has spoiled for me over the years.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The next Kirby game is supposed to be the "pinnacle of the series" anyway, so who knows? Maybe Nintendo would want to take advantage of that if Star Allies didn't perform well enough to their liking.
Actually, Star Allies is the best-selling Kirby game in a while. If anything, Nintendo would want to capitalize on that to push the Kirby name further.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Actually, Star Allies is the best-selling Kirby game in a while. If anything, Nintendo would want to capitalize on that to push the Kirby name further.
Huh, I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to sales numbers, so I'll just go with your idea.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Same here!

Honestly, there isn't a single Kirby character I can bring myself to hate. After BWD, I'll probably move on to supporting another character, like Magolor or Galacta Knight.
I know after Dee gets in, I'm hedging my bets between Magolor, Marx and Adeleine. Whoever gets in, I win because they're all characters I adore. Pipe dream is Prince Fluff, not even getting in, just being taken seriously in Kirby discussion.
That's the magic of the Kirby series. Is there really anyone you could bring yourself to dislike, let alone hate? Heaven knows I can't.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I mean.

Jr. was a pretty popular request in hardcore Smash circles too.
Im pretty sure that during the Pre-releae days of Smash 4, Bowser Jr was seen as the major frontrunner for a Mario series newcomer before Rosa's reveal (it was a different time) it was actually weird seeing it in hindsight. After Rosa's reveal his support became much more quiet.

Basically:

Holy **** im in 2009 again! Good times.

Gooey Master Race. He's probably my favorite thing about Dream Land 3 (yeah i don't hold the game in high regard) and im sad he never made appperances after DL3 (well, aside from his return in Star Allies) he works as a perfect foil to Kirby in my opinion.

Of course, i expect BDee first and rightfully so,

BUT BEARDMAN!-err i mean, BUT RAZOR!-err i mean BUT DUKEMON! THOSE ARE MINOR APPEREANCES, HE ONLY GIVES YOU FOOD IN TRIPLE DELUXE AND PLANET ROBOBOT, THEREFORE HIS APPEREANCE IN THOSE GAMES ARE IRRELEVANT!1111!!!!

But joking aside, this is why Bandanna Dee is the 4th member of the Kirby crew. It's not even an argument for me at this point.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You're missing my point. I agree that he's a main character, but I'm saying that doesn't protect him from characters like Marx, and I seem to be the only person here bearing that mentality.
It's because ARMS was a new IP with an ensemble cast, and Kirby is a long-runner with a handful of recurring characters and a wide array of characters that are popular but have only really appeared once or twice, not counting Super Kirby Bros. Ultimate Star Allies. There's also a matter of popularity; Spring Man had some major competitors, while Bandana Dee is a regular high-ranker in popularity polls. While popularity obviously doesn't determine everything, it still has some degree of influence on the decision-making. ARMS logic doesn't apply to Kirby until the devs explicitly say so.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You're missing my point. I agree that he's a main character, but I'm saying that doesn't protect him from characters like Marx, and I seem to be the only person here bearing that mentality.
Probably because not everyone here wants to be a Negative Nancy.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Honestly Marx's support was a bandwagon. Of course there are people out there who always liked Marx, but once Star Allies showcased Marx a lot of folks suddendly tought Marx was likely or more popular of a request than Dee for some godforsaken reason, then Smash Ultimate's pre-release speculation rolled around and talk about him Skyrocketed, then Marx was leaked as a Boss aaaaaaaaand his support evaporated overnight. Just like Katalina from that crappy mobile gacha game called Grandad Fanta Sea or something once that rumor from Hitagi ended up beign nothing but Horse****.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly Marx's support was a bandwagon. Of course there are people out there who always liked Marx, but once Star Allies showcased Marx a lot of folks suddendly tought Marx was likely or more popular of a request than Dee for some godforsaken reason, then Smash Ultimate's pre-release speculation rolled around and talk about him Skyrocketed, then Marx was leaked as a Boss aaaaaaaaand his support evaporated overnight. Just like Katalina from that crappy mobile gacha game called Grandad Fanta Sea or something once that rumor from Hitagi ended up beign nothing but Horse****.
The speculative scene is always in flux, really. I hear Geno was pretty underground until the Mii costume, for example, and guys like Master Chief, Doomguy, and Dante were way off the radar until something introduced them to the fanbase. In the case of Doomguy and Dante, it was a gradual thing that slowly pushed them into the spotlight, while with Master Chief, his popularity exploded overnight with Banjo and Kazooie putting Microsoft on the table.
For me, the most frustrating thing about Kirby reps is that they're all very good choices in their own right, but half of the time it feels like those who support them are just there because they're not "muh generik hat goomber." Well, the vocal fans at least. I'm sure there's a bunch of little kiddos blissfully unaware of the Smash fanbase's flame wars who just want Gooey in Smash because they think he's neat, and that gives me some solace.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What better marketing push to make the Kirby brand bigger than putting Bandana Dee in Smash as DeeLC.

I still want Marx. Though I think Bandana Dee deserves to get in first. Marx has some crazy moveset potential as seen from his boss fight.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I find it weird that the main character debate is relevant again when Sakurai did an interview on Piranha. His reasoning for adding the character can be paraphrased: Smash isn't just about heroes or villains, it's about iconic characters. Ironically, as far as I can tell, Plant is the only character Not counting oddities like G&W and R.O.B. who fits that role. I wonder if this idea would be less brought if Sakurai's initial dragon quest character idea, Slime, had been the one he went with.
Actually, Sakurai always wanted Hero and thought they were the best option. He was only willing to use Slime if he was told "no" to Hero.

Here's a source if you want one: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...scrapped-initially-just-luminary-and-erdrick/

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Actually, Sakurai always wanted Hero and thought they were the best option. He was only willing to use Slime if he was told "no" to Hero.

Here's a source if you want one: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...scrapped-initially-just-luminary-and-erdrick/
My mistake, I know Hero was his first choice, I meant to say if his initial choice was declined we'd have another character who's technically a generic as a fighter (and honestly the generic argument shouldn't exist when Yoshi is the embodiment of "generic character who's named after the species" the character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I just thought about this guys hear me out: So a lot of people have complained about the lack of non Sakurai Kirby content in Smash as well as even Spirits and music. What if all of that stuff came with Bandana Dee in his pack? It would make sense since Bandana Dee perfectly represents modern Kirby post Sakurai era. The absence of this stuff could be in Dee's advantage instead of a disadvantage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I just thought about this guys hear me out: So a lot of people have complained about the lack of non Sakurai Kirby content in Smash as well as even Spirits and music. What if all of that stuff came with Bandana Dee in his pack? It would make sense since Bandana Dee perfectly represents modern Kirby post Sakurai era. The absence of this stuff could be in Dee's advantage instead of a disadvantage.
well its what most people seem to suggest

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Then everyone simultaneously forgot about Dark Matter, who was practically the K. Rool of the franchise during the Dark Matter Trilogy, and is still referenced in Kirby games to this day.
Yeah, I'm definitely inclined to believe that Marx's support was noticeably based off of a bandwagon, with the remaining amount of genuine Marx supporters present as a number in which I'd only need my fingers to count.
It was pretty hard to find anyone who wouldn't blatantly use Marx as a counter-pick to Bandana Dee, after all. He was rarely brought up in his own right.
Same thing practically goes for the rest of the Dream Friends as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
If Bandana Dee was on the base roster, absolutely nothing would happen to Kirby's representation (aside from a remix of a song that didn't even have to be among Modern Kirby tracks). Not to mention that, his moveset would've definitely been more straightforward like all of the other base roster characters.

If Bandana Dee is chosen to be DLC fighter, this could be quite the breakthrough for Kirby.
- He could be used to promote the latest Kirby game in Smash, since he has already established a stellar attendance within the series.
- If the newest Kirby game is the focus, then there's no room for retro Kirby pandering; meaning that the music tracks, spirits, and stage will all be based on something from the Modern Kirby era
- Bandana Dee could potentially have a more interesting moveset if every ability which he has used over time is implemented into his kit (Spear, Parasol, Megaton Punch, Elemental Abilities); proving to the general community that he can still be a fun and interesting character to play around with.
- The Dream Team will finally be back together after such a long period of time to celebrate the beginning of a new era of Kirby.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Then everyone simultaneously forgot about Dark Matter, who was practically the K. Rool of the franchise during the Dark Matter Trilogy, and is still referenced in Kirby games to this day.
Yeah, I'm definitely inclined to believe that Marx's support was noticeably based off of a bandwagon, with the remaining amount of genuine Marx supporters present as a number in which I'd only need my fingers to count.
It was pretty hard to find anyone who wouldn't blatantly use Marx as a counter-pick to Bandana Dee, after all. He was rarely brought up in his own right.
Same thing practically goes for the rest of the Dream Friends as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
If Bandana Dee was on the base roster, absolutely nothing would happen to Kirby's representation (aside from a remix of a song that didn't even have to be among Modern Kirby tracks). Not to mention that, his moveset would've definitely been more straightforward like all of the other base roster characters.

If Bandana Dee is chosen to be DLC fighter, this could be quite the breakthrough for Kirby.
- He could be used to promote the latest Kirby game in Smash, since he has already established a stellar attendance within the series.
- If the newest Kirby game is the focus, then there's no room for retro Kirby pandering; meaning that the music tracks, spirits, and stage will all be based on something from the Modern Kirby era
- Bandana Dee could potentially have a more interesting moveset if every ability which he has used over time is implemented into his kit (Spear, Parasol, Megaton Punch, Elemental Abilities); proving to the general community that he can still be a fun and interesting character to play around with.
- The Dream Team will finally be back together after such a long period of time to celebrate the beginning of a new era of Kirby.
Dark Matter would be pretty cool. After Dee gets in, Dark Matter is probably at the top of my list.

Top Bottom