• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Well, it depends. Bandana Dee is the no-brainer in this day and age, but if we dial back a few years, maybe it'll be someone different. Adeleine would be the next one in line for the early 2000's, Daroach would be the fourth for the mid/late-2000's, and now Bandana Dee is the rep of choice for the 2010's, a trend that looks to be continuing into the new decade.
In fact, I'd argue the reason Bandana Dee got so far is indirectly because of Smash. The attention given to Kirby and co. in Brawl gave the series a bit of a push, and that led to Kirby being treated as at least a semi-major game. Due to this, coupled with the technological advancements, Kirby games slowly became just a little more continuity-based. In turn, this led to the Kirby cast becoming more recurring beyond just Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight, a phenomenon best observed in Bandana Dee and Magolor. This all came to a head with Star Allies, which pulled an EVERYONE IS HERE! of it's own and dropped a ton of lore on our heads.
In short, the reason Bandana Dee got farther than characters in similar positions, like Gooey and Adeleine, is because he came to prominence in an era where Kirby focused on continuity a bit more.
Huh, you make a pretty compelling point.
Y'know, I've heard once or twice before that Bandana Dee apparently "dethroned" other characters like Adeleine and Gooey of their top-friendship status with Kirby, because of his prominence within the continuity-based era of Kirby.

Heck, if it wasn't for how prominent Bandana Dee was in the franchise in comparison to other characters as of now, I probably wouldn't be advocating for the little guy as much. So, although I certainly think that he's worked up a certain reward for his efforts at this point, I can resonate with what you're saying.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Huh, you make a pretty compelling point.
Y'know, I've heard once or twice before that Bandana Dee apparently "dethroned" other characters like Adeleine and Gooey of their top-friendship status with Kirby, because of his prominence within the continuity-based era of Kirby.

Heck, if it wasn't for how prominent Bandana Dee was in the franchise in comparison to other characters as of now, I probably wouldn't be advocating for the little guy as much. So, although I certainly think that he's worked up a certain reward for his efforts at this point, I can resonate with what you're saying.
Yeah, he's definitely put the work in, but luck was on his side too. I wonder how the different the franchise would be if Adeleine or Daroach made more appearances. It would be interesting to see Daroach as another recurring "frenemy" type antagonist, like early versions of Dedede and Meta Knight.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
How long do you think Bandana Dee's spear would be? Seeing some clips of Star Allies makes me realize it's longer than I remember, but SMash isn't always one-to-one. I'd personally make it around Marth's sword, so he's the first extra-small character without pitiful range.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How long do you think Bandana Dee's spear would be? Seeing some clips of Star Allies makes me realize it's longer than I remember, but SMash isn't always one-to-one. I'd personally make it around Marth's sword, so he's the first extra-small character without pitiful range.
I think Dee's spear in Smash would be as long as Meta Knight's sword or slightly longer. Like you said, size in Smash isn't anyways accurate mostly due to balancing the game and all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Depends on what you're looking for. Star Allies is king when it comes to continuity and references, but many prefer the 3DS games' more complex stages and somewhat higher difficulty, me included. That being said, Star Allies sold well and most likely introduced a wide variety of new players to the franchise, meaning HAL is able to ramp up the complexity and difficulty a bit.
you think kirby games should be difficult?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The last Kirby game I played that wasn't Star Allies was Robobot
This seems like an odd comment? That's like saying the last Zelda game you played Before Links Awakening was Breath of the Wild.

But also I hope we get something new from Kirby soon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone else think kirby is really adorable in min min's hat? they should make a noodle kirby in the next main game based off it

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I can't wait to see what are they going to do with Kirby next. I hope it's a full 3D game. Even if it's not a very good game, at least we can say that they tried and a sequel can improve the original's faults (Unlike certain other franchise that always scraps everything that gets criticism instead of refining it :ultsonic:).

I think it should have almost the same range as :ultshulk:'s Monado or :ultbyleth:'s Areadbhar, so we can have a character that invalidates 90% of the FE Cast faithfully via Weapon Triangle.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's really annoying how the site is going down so much over the past day or so

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, he's definitely put the work in, but luck was on his side too. I wonder how the different the franchise would be if Adeleine or Daroach made more appearances. It would be interesting to see Daroach as another recurring "frenemy" type antagonist, like early versions of Dedede and Meta Knight.
Sometimes the only thing we need to appear in the spotlight and become an icon, it's a bit of luck in just the right moment; that is the reason why Roy and Ike became popular, they're the only characters that were chosen for Smash that didn't have previous known popularity (Marth and Chrom) or are in Smash for the games they represent (the Avatars). Roy and Ike luck out, because just happened that the kind of random inclusion they had for pretty much gameplay reason, was the reason why they became icons.

Bandana Dee benefit of taking the role of one of the non-generic Waddle Dees in Super Star Ultra (and the most prominet one in the context of the remake), when I believe, the franchise started to kick start the new direction, then RTDL arrived, the definite start of that new direction, and when the fourth character was needed for the game's gimmick, the non-generic Waddle Dee became clearly the choice.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sometimes the only thing we need to appear in the spotlight and become an icon, it's a bit of luck in just the right moment; that is the reason why Roy and Ike became popular, they're the only characters that were chosen for Smash that didn't have previous known popularity (Marth and Chrom) or are in Smash for the games they represent (the Avatars). Roy and Ike luck out, because just happened that the kind of random inclusion they had for pretty much gameplay reason, was the reason why they became icons.

Bandana Dee benefit of taking the role of one of the non-generic Waddle Dees in Super Star Ultra (and the most prominet one in the context of the remake), when I believe, the franchise started to kick start the new direction, then RTDL arrived, the definite start of that new direction, and when the fourth character was needed for the game's gimmick, the non-generic Waddle Dee became clearly the choice.
Ike was chosen for the same reason Robin was: to represent the latest Fire Emblem game at the time of development, which was Path of Radiance. Being a heavy swordsman was a bonus, like Robin being magic-based.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can't wait to see what are they going to do with Kirby next. I hope it's a full 3D game. Even if it's not a very good game, at least we can say that they tried and a sequel can improve the original's faults (Unlike certain other franchise that always scraps everything that gets criticism instead of refining it :ultsonic:).

I think it should have almost the same range as :ultshulk:'s Monado or :ultbyleth:'s Areadbhar, so we can have a character that invalidates 90% of the FE Cast faithfully via Weapon Triangle.
Something I've noticed is that the spear seems to grow in some attacks in Star Allies, and the same goes for some attacks in Smash, like with Mario. We could have his spear growing and shrinking when needed, so that it's always just longer than the sword of his current opponent.

Troykv

Smash Master
Ike was chosen for the same reason Robin was: to represent the latest Fire Emblem game at the time of development, which was Path of Radiance. Being a heavy swordsman was a bonus, like Robin being magic-based.
I don't know if Robin could have appeared in Smash if Fire Emblem had died after Awakening; Sakurai only really became sure of his choice after the success of Awakening in Japan. Ike in the other hand, he was chosen regardless of the success of the brand, and the reason why, he in particular was chosen (we'll never know for sure which other characters were considered, though Ike definitely had the advantage timing-wise) is because of Ragnell.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd assume all of Dee's alts would be based on the various species of Waddle Dees seen throughout the franchise?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Bandana Waddle Dee may be my most wanted first party newcomer that isn't an assist trophy.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I always thought Waddle Dees looked kinda fuzzy.

But like short hair fuzzy, like a horse or something.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that considering how Marx was made into a boss first, probably means that Sakurai may think that Marx as a whole is best represented with his Boss form. Case in point, between when you first encounter Marx in Super Star and when you actually battle him, you definitely see him in his Boss form longer.

Honestly, I don't see why Sakurai would bother to attempt trying to all of a sudden convert Marx into a fighter since he would presumably have to be in his regular form most of the time. Heck, before there wasn't even much to build upon in order to make him a fighter in the first place. Even when Star Allies came around and actually gave him some moves, how well would those even translate into a game like Smash?

Every DLC character so far had a kit based solely on moves and mechanics from their respective games which were translated into a clear moveset that works. From the way I see it, Sakurai would have to downgrade and probably even invent moves for Marx to use since his kit in Star Allies was meant to be undeniably OP.
Personally not too invested in wanting Marx as a playable character (he's definitively not happening in Ultimate anyways), but this is flawed argumentation. One could easily have said the same of any of the villain fighters in Smash, and was in fact one of the many arguments I kept hearing about Ridley pre-Ultimate.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Personally not too invested in wanting Marx as a playable character (he's definitively not happening in Ultimate anyways), but this is flawed argumentation. One could easily have said the same of any of the villain fighters in Smash, and was in fact one of the many arguments I kept hearing about Ridley pre-Ultimate.
I’m honestly surprised at myself for not realizing that Ridley was a boss before he became playable, so that indeed was a slip-up on my part.

My apologies.

I do still stand by the whole moveset thing, though.
At the very least, Ridley’s moves were more reasonably structured (in comparison to Marx’s blatant mishmash of moves) considering that size was potentially the main issue for his lack of an inclusion before Ultimate.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Marx is my most wanted Kirby character, but I feel like it would be so wrong if he got in before Bandana Dee. But after Dee get's in though, Marx all the way baby!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Marx is my most wanted Kirby character, but I feel like it would be so wrong if he got in before Bandana Dee. But after Dee get's in though, Marx all the way baby!
Bandana Dee's current status makes him somewhat of a gatekeeper for other Kirby candidates. Once he gets in, I wonder who the next big Kirby request will be.
Personally, I'm going with Magolor. He's become somewhat of the face for the modern Kirby era when grouped alone (Bandana Dee wouldn't count, since he's become part of the general cast), and he's sort of become a fifth main character. Plus, with my moveset I'm created, he could do some awful things with his portals.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bandana Dee's current status makes him somewhat of a gatekeeper for other Kirby candidates. Once he gets in, I wonder who the next big Kirby request will be.
Personally, I'm going with Magolor. He's become somewhat of the face for the modern Kirby era when grouped alone (Bandana Dee wouldn't count, since he's become part of the general cast), and he's sort of become a fifth main character. Plus, with my moveset I'm created, he could do some awful things with his portals.
he may seem like the most natural next choice but that doesnt mean he will be

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
he may seem like the most natural next choice but that doesnt mean he will be
Let's be honest, Sakurai choosing any other Kirby character over Bandana Dee would be like him choosing Plant over Peach or a Stalfos over Ganondorf. It wouldn't be right and he would know it too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Let's be honest, Sakurai choosing any other Kirby character over Bandana Dee would be like him choosing Plant over Peach or a Stalfos over Ganondorf. It wouldn't be right and he would know it too.
or choosing, dr mario, rosalina, daisy, jr, the koopalings and piranha plant over toad

it happens

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, you're talking about Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Plant. You have a point. Non of these characters were that popular before their inclusion aside from maybe Rosalina.
:4bowserjr: and :rosalina: were actually popular requests.

Top Bottom