• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Everyone's going on about how Min Min was a request from Yabuki? Now who created Kirby? I rest my case.
Kosuke Yabuki is the main director behind ARMS. Masahiro Sakurai is not the main director behind Kirby. The current main director of the Kirby series is Shinya Kumazaki. Masahiro Sakurai has not had control over the Kirby series in decades.
I really fail to see your point here.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't see the problem. Min Min was a special request from the director of ARMS, who claims that the game doesn't have a main character. Kirby clearly has a main character and I don't think Kumazaki has given any word on his favorite. BWD's fine. In fact, with Spirit promotions he's got his best shot in a while.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Kumazaki directs Kirby now, not Sakurai. And you think the guy that put Bandana Dee in every single game he has ever made will skip him over? No chance.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
What he need to know is if Nintendo will consider adding another Kirby character. Since they call the shots now. I don't think the ARMS character had an advertising or monetary motive. It just was a game owned by them that sold well and they thought they could add a new character from.

If a new Kirby character is decided, then Kumazaki is going to demand Bandana Dee at the first micro-second. That's a given.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
If it was up to Kumazaki, he would definitely pick BWD, especially after that HAL 30th anniversary portrait.

But yeah, BWD's chances are higher than ever. Base game roster and Fighter Pass 1's fighters have been preselected during Smash Ultimate's development (in 2016). This was around the time Robobot was released and before Battle Royale. Now we're dealing with Post-Star Allies BWD, where his popularity has skyrocketed greatly. I have high hopes this time for BWD, as well as for Rex and Geno.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh ho ho ho...
View attachment 275713
Looks like Bandana Dee speculation is back on the menu, boys and girls!
Whenever I picture Bandana Dee as an incredibly overpowered character, it's usually as Saitama. After all, they got where they are now because they trained hard and pushed their mundane skillset to it's limit. Also, Megaton Punch.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
5 more shots at the spot. seems like a new door has been opened with the spirit upgrade. and didn't sakurai that spirit battles WILL CHANGE in the future. I really hope we get something for our boi.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Whenever I picture Bandana Dee as an incredibly overpowered character, it's usually as Saitama. After all, they got where they are now because they trained hard and pushed their mundane skillset to it's limit. Also, Megaton Punch.
One Punch Dee

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Logging in for the first time in 1.5 years to celebrate that the Waddle Dream lives on! Hopefully Bandana Dee makes it in with this wave.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Been a long time since I posted here but how is everyone feeling for our boy's chances?
Oh he’s dead. Min Min was proof that bias reigns supreme in Smash. So while “spirits deconfirm” is dead, “Sakurai doesn’t favor Bandana Dee” has become an even bigger problem.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Been a long time since I posted here but how is everyone feeling for our boy's chances?
I think at least now he's fully plausible. The one argument that showed up all the time is now dead thanks to Min-Min's reveal.

Some people have theorized that bias will play against him. While it could be argued that was the major reason Min-Min got in (because the Mr Yabuki basically said "i want Min Min") seeing how Sakurai went and asked Mr Yabuki, im starting to think that should Sakurai be interesed in adding another Kirby character (or more realistically, Nintendo requests him to add a Kirby character due to the series's popularity) he probably would ask the prodcuers and staff of the recent Kirby games. Not only that, but the only "major" Kirby character left made by Sakurai (not counting Bandanna Dee) that could get in Dee's way, Marx, is already a boss and almost no one is interesed in seeing him playable anymore.

This is just a theory of course. As for his competition, i do believe Bandanna Dee doesn't have to worry about any other Kirby character outside of Maaaaybe Magolor, who even then his role is smaller in comparison to Dee's.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh he’s dead. Min Min was proof that bias reigns supreme in Smash. So while “spirits deconfirm” is dead, “Sakurai doesn’t favor Bandana Dee” has become an even bigger problem.
If Dee gets in you're gonna make a ton of posts saying "okay but they're deliberately going to make sure he absolutely sucks and competitive players won't even think he's F-tier".

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
But Min Min was a ARMS's director bias? (Let's be real, he probably chose her because he knows she's the fan favorite of the ARMS fandom).

Bandana Dee has the same power of being Kumazaki's favorite if Nintendo ever has the idea of adding a Kirby character.

BTW, the ARMS spirit board being repeated spirits is nice and all, but I would prefer if Dee comes with many Kirby spirits left out.

Bandana Dee Spirit Board (1).png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
BTW, the ARMS spirit board being repeated spirits is nice and all, but I would prefer if Dee comes with many Kirby spirits left out.
Not all of the spirits are repeated, though. Only four of them were in the base game, and of those four, Ninjara and Ribbon Girl were originally only unlocked through summons, so their spirit battles are new.

If Bandanna Dee gets in, I could see some spirits, like Magolor, Landia, Sectonia, Susie, and the Three Mage Sisters being reused, even if it's just to fill out the spirit board. (plus, much like Ninjara and Ribbon Girl, Sectonia's spirit battle would be new)

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Not all of the spirits are repeated, though. Only four of them were in the base game, and of those four, Ninjara and Ribbon Girl were originally only unlocked through summons, so their spirit battles are new.

If Bandanna Dee gets in, I could see some spirits, like Magolor, Landia, Sectonia, Susie, and the Three Mage Sisters being reused, even if it's just to fill out the spirit board. (plus, much like Ninjara and Ribbon Girl, Sectonia's spirit battle would be new)
Oh, of course I didn't mean all of the spirits. But the prospect of some existing spirits getting battles sounds very exciting.
I remember being very dissapointed that Masked Dedede and Galacta Knight didn't have spirit battles.
Well, well, both are very fitting to be in Bandana Dee's spirit board and now they could have battles with Dedede's Royal Payback and the Strongest Warrior of the Galaxy added and playing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think at least now he's fully plausible. The one argument that showed up all the time is now dead thanks to Min-Min's reveal.

Some people have theorized that bias will play against him. While it could be argued that was the major reason Min-Min got in (because the Mr Yabuki basically said "i want Min Min") seeing how Sakurai went and asked Mr Yabuki, im starting to think that should Sakurai be interesed in adding another Kirby character (or more realistically, Nintendo requests him to add a Kirby character due to the series's popularity) he probably would ask the prodcuers and staff of the recent Kirby games. Not only that, but the only "major" Kirby character left made by Sakurai (not counting Bandanna Dee) that could get in Dee's way, Marx, is already a boss and almost no one is interesed in seeing him playable anymore.

This is just a theory of course. As for his competition, i do believe Bandanna Dee doesn't have to worry about any other Kirby character outside of Maaaaybe Magolor, who even then his role is smaller in comparison to Dee's.
itd be nice if you were right

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Someone is currently making a Bandana Dee mod for Project M and I really like the quality of the model, looks Ultimate tier.

The animations are actually extremely clean and good. If you notice when he uses beam attacks the Spear actually opens up into a Beam Rod.
Having Bandana Dee's spear be more than a Spear actually makes him aesthetically tie in with King Dedede whose Hammer appears to be more than a Hammer.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm fairly optimistic. He's fairly popular AND relevant in both modern appearances and overall impact on the franchise, and Min Min opens the door to Spirits. He's not at Rex levels of star-aligning, but he's in a good spot.
But Min Min was a ARMS's director bias? (Let's be real, he probably chose her because he knows she's the fan favorite of the ARMS fandom).

Bandana Dee has the same power of being Kumazaki's favorite if Nintendo ever has the idea of adding a Kirby character.

I find it interesting that most hypothetical BWD Spirit Boards are split between glaring absences and "filler" Spirits. Kirby has a handful of what I consider to be glaring absences: Adeleine, Ribbon, Zero, Dark Meta Knight, Taranza, and Ice Dragon. The first two can also be grouped together, if we're going by Star Allies logic. That gives us five Spirits, about the same amount of base Spirits the ARMS board has, and likely the same with a potential XC2 board.
Now that Min Min's board proves we can have base game Spirits in the board, we could bring in some old Kirby Spirits, or we could have some more new Spirits, like Haltmann or Hyness.
The main confusion seems to stem from Bandana Dee's origin: Min Min is from a single game, Byleth is from an installment with a completely different setting, and Rex would be the same. Bandana Dee, on the other hand, doesn't have a real origin point. While Hero represents their entire franchise, they didn't have any reps beforehand, while Kirby has three. In terms of representation, Bandana Dee would likely be filling in the gaps, but there's still the fact that he's only tangentially related to some of the Spirits. But again, so was Terry.
But yeah. I feel like Bandana Dee's potential Spirit board wouldn't have so many "filler" Spirits like Shadow Dedede and Grand Doomer. Ice Dragon's Spirit potential is passed up quite a bit, too.

EDIT: I've seen dome ideas for reusing the battles for Sectonia, Masked Dedede, and Galacta Knight, since they lack both their themes and a Spirit Battle. I could definitely get behind that; Those as some of the most glaring omissions from the Kirby track list.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The rumors of a second Nintendo rep in the pass are possibly true, and thanks to MinMin, he's got a very good chance thanks to the popularity of the character along with the Kirby series as a whole

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I'd rather wish this pass was first party focused. We had enough fun with the 3rd parties in the first pass, but that's my bias talking.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Question: Where is this "another Nintendo character" coming from?
It's mostly speculation based on the licensing costs it would take, the likely decreased budget and dev team, and Min Min being our starter like Joker was for pass one (Assuming there wasn't a third-party pushed back by COVID, of course). It helps that most first-party requests petered out after being Spirited, and Min Min brought them back to life.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Someone is currently making a Bandana Dee mod for Project M and I really like the quality of the model, looks Ultimate tier.

The animations are actually extremely clean and good. If you notice when he uses beam attacks the Spear actually opens up into a Beam Rod.
Having Bandana Dee's spear be more than a Spear actually makes him aesthetically tie in with King Dedede whose Hammer appears to be more than a Hammer.
BRUG, those animations! It looks like they're pulled directly from Star Allies, that dedication!

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I really dislike BWD movesets with the Beam Rod. I'm aware of it just being a fan thing but it just really bothers me.

Top Bottom