• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My heart melted at this fanart I saw:
You all don't know how happy I am that this was the one of the first things I came across on my Twitter feed this morning. Seriously, I normally don't care all that much for Kirby gijinka (or gijinka in general, for that matter), but this?

Let's just say that if HAL made/considered this to be what Kirby and a Waddle Dee would look like as humans, I might not even mind an in-game Easter egg depicting the two of them like this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what do you guys think about Kirby characters being in Mario Kart? I would be down with it since Kirby Air Ride was a thing and that is my favorite Kirby game. We should at least have Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Dee in the roster before anybody else.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So what do you guys think about Kirby characters being in Mario Kart? I would be down with it since Kirby Air Ride was a thing and that is my favorite Kirby game. We should at least have Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Dee in the roster before anybody else.
I'd be down for it,

Just please, not Mario Kart Tour

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
YES, I would love to see this!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly? After Funky and Dixie, I see Nintendo adding in characters from the 'extended Mario-verse' first (i.e. the Kong clan, Poochy, Mona, Ashley, 9-Volt, Captain Syrup, and more from the DK. Yoshi, and Wario casts, etc.).

But after them? I'd give ANYTHING to see Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and B.W.D. in a Mario Kart game! In fact, B.W.D. being added would only re-solidify that he's both a core member of the cast AND he's here to stay (as if the latter weren't already obvious after a decade of appearances).

Heck, MK8 already added Link, Isabelle, the Villagers and the Inklings, so there IS a precedent. Granted, they all hail from Nintendo's EAD division, but I think the point still stands.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
They should have BEEN in Mario Kart by now, but that would still be amazing to see in the future.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm the outlier here, but I'd rather see Mario Kart stick to the Marioverse of characters. Kirby and cast would be cool, but I'd like it better if Mario Kart gave the spotlight to characters like Wart, or Tatanga, or all the RPG characters, who otherwise wouldn't get the attention.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Considering they just added Funky Kong and Dixie Kong, I wouldn't put it past them.

Although I'm curious if those Air Ride tracks could be remade into Mario Kart. Not likely, but it'd be neat.
I would love to see Checker Knights remade into a Mario Kart track.

Honestly? After Funky and Dixie, I see Nintendo adding in characters from the 'extended Mario-verse' first (i.e. the Kong clan, Poochy, Mona, Ashley, 9-Volt, Captain Syrup, and more from the DK. Yoshi, and Wario casts, etc.).

But after them? I'd give ANYTHING to see Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and B.W.D. in a Mario Kart game! In fact, B.W.D. being added would only re-solidify that he's both a core member of the cast AND he's here to stay (as if the latter weren't already obvious after a decade of appearances).

Heck, MK8 already added Link, Isabelle, the Villagers and the Inklings, so there IS a precedent. Granted, they all hail from Nintendo's EAD division, but I think the point still stands.
And K. Rool don't forget about K. Rool especially now that he is in Smash.

I'm the outlier here, but I'd rather see Mario Kart stick to the Marioverse of characters. Kirby and cast would be cool, but I'd like it better if Mario Kart gave the spotlight to characters like Wart, or Tatanga, or all the RPG characters, who otherwise wouldn't get the attention.
It would be so cool to see Wart and the other 8-Bits in Mario Kart as well as the X-Nauts and all the other RPG partners.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
I think the only reason Kirby wasn't in MK8D was because the non-Mario in that game were from internal Nintendo studios, while Kirby is from HAL.

I can't think of any other explanation, because otherwise Kirby in MK8 makes too much sense - at least more than Animal Crossing and Splatoon characters.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the only reason Kirby wasn't in MK8D was because the third parties in that game were from internal Nintendo studios, while Kirby is from HAL.
First off: Technically they're 2nd party not 3rd party.

Second: Isn't Hal Laboratory a 2nd party Nintendo studio as well?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I think the only reason Kirby wasn't in MK8D was because the third parties in that game were from internal Nintendo studios, while Kirby is from HAL.
Same as Skylanders Superchargers, Kirby with Fox and Princess Peach were originally going to be guest characters but got cut and replaced with Donkey Kong and Bowser.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would love to see Checker Knights remade into a Mario Kart track.
Oh, man! I'd LOVE for Checker Knights to appear like that! Bonus points if they bring back 'Strong Star Warrior' as it's theme music (Remix or otherwise).

Wait, is the reason Checker Knights is like the ONE Kirby song that hasn't shown up in a future Smash game (after Brawl, anyways) because it technically originated from the anime?

And K. Rool don't forget about K. Rool especially now that he is in Smash.
Oh, of course. In fact, I definitely see him coming alongside Cranky Kong, actually.

Last edited:

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
First off: Technically they're 2nd party not 3rd party.

Second: Isn't Hal Laboratory a 2nd party Nintendo studio as well?
Whoops. I meant to say non-Mario, not third party. That's my Smash brain talking.

Anyway, HAL is a second party studio, while Mario, Zelda, AC and Splatoon were all made by Nintendo EAD, hence why I think Kirby was excluded

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, man! I'd LOVE for Checker Knights to appear like that! Bonus points if they bring back 'Strong Star Warrior' as it's theme music (Remix or otherwise).

Wait, is the reason Checker Knights is like the ONE Kirby song that hasn't shown up in a future Smash game (after Brawl, anyways) because it technically originated from the anime?

Oh, of course. In fact, I definitely see him coming alongside Cranky Kong, actually.
I don't know. The fact they included it at all makes me think they at least own the song.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the only reason Kirby wasn't in MK8D was because the non-Mario in that game were from internal Nintendo studios, while Kirby is from HAL.

I can't think of any other explanation, because otherwise Kirby in MK8 makes too much sense - at least more than Animal Crossing and Splatoon characters.
animal crossing and splatoon are both very popular

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't know. The fact they included it at all makes me think they at least own the song.
Yeah, and I suppose it's probably worth noting that 'Final Strategy' (Kirby Air Ride's Drag Race theme) plays when fighting EX mini-bosses in Planet Robobot.

Honestly, when I think about it now... I'm wishing more Kirby anime music had played in Star Allies. Heck, hearing Checker Knights (Strong Star Warrior) play during the escape from the Jambastion would have been pretty epic.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet

If you want more information, Animal Crossing and Splatoon and made by the same studio, as well as being in-house, so that probably made getting them easier as they are sister franchises.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you want more information, Animal Crossing and Splatoon and made by the same studio, as well as being in-house, so that probably made getting them easier as they are sister franchises.
they werent got at the same time though, with AC being added as dlc and splat being added in the enhanced port

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
they werent got at the same time though, with AC being added as dlc and splat being added in the enhanced port
True, but since they were already part of the game, it was probably an easier get than something from another division.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So how do y'all currently view Dee's chances of still possibly making it into Ultimate? I think he has a decent chance of happening especially if we get another Ballot favorite character similar to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
So how do y'all currently view Dee's chances of still possibly making it into Ultimate? I think he has a decent chance of happening especially if we get another Ballot favorite character similar to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie.
I am uneasy. He’s popular, but Sakurai has pretty much kept Kirby to only his titles, so with him at the helm he may not go for it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I am uneasy. He’s popular, but Sakurai has pretty much kept Kirby to only his titles, so with him at the helm he may not go for it.
I think he will if Nintendo pushes him to do it. Some DK fans thought Sakurai had something against the DKC franchise before K. Rool got in because of the lack of good representation from the series in the character, stage, and music department. Before Ultimate all we DK fans had in Smash was DK, Diddy, 4 jungle levels, and a billion remixs of Jungle Hijinx. K. Rool's inclusion change things and we finally got him, a Assist Trophy, and other music tracks from the classic games in the series.

Last edited:

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
I think he will if Nintendo pushes him to do it. Some DK fans thought Sakurai had something against the DKC franchise before K. Rool got in because of the lack of good representation from the series in the character, stage, and music department. Before Ultimate all we DK fans had in Smash was DK, Diddy, 4 jungle levels, and a billion remixs of Jungle Hijinx. K. Rool's inclusion change things and we finally got him, a Assist Trophy, and other music tracks from the classic games in the series.
I don’t know. Kirby is a bit different in that he worked on the series and has personal connection. Donkey Kong seems more like an oversight, but one that Nintendo perpetuated in general till Retro saved the series. It was pretty clear that DK fell off for the GC and Wii era.

The problem with Kirby is that it is stuck in the past. Something that never affected DK as he got stages from new titles. With Kirby, we are lucky enough to get spirits and music from new titles as assists and stages seem impossible.

If Nintendo stepped in I could see a change. Add in that there are “big plans” for Kirby’s next title, and maybe I can see it. It would be great promotion for the series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well theres no way of telling how much of a "push" nintendo will give him to include characters

I don’t know. Kirby is a bit different in that he worked on the series and has personal connection. Donkey Kong seems more like an oversight, but one that Nintendo perpetuated in general till Retro saved the series. It was pretty clear that DK fell off for the GC and Wii era.
well no it was miyamoto who wanted to make a new dk game and who suggested retro make it. also there were plenty dk game on the GC and wii

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A tad uncertain, but lately I've been getting the feeling he and Dixie Kong will be in down the line (either as part of FP2 or Piranha Plant-like 'bonus characters').

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai's a professional so if Nintendo asks him to include Bandana Dee he won't say no, even if he's biased he can't actually believe that Dee has no moveset potential.

Whoever is selecting the characters within Nintendo could in theory respect Sakurai, as the creator of Kirby, if it's known that he doesn't want to add him, but given Sakurai has never spoken out about any negative feelings towards Dee or modern Kirby I doubt that's the case.

The money's on the table, so if Nintendo feels it's worth it, Dee will be in. It's just a matter of whether they think it's his time.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Y'know, I was wondering when someone would bring something like this up again. Especially since this whole DLC cycle has been quite interesting so far.

At first, the anticipation was ground-breaking 3rd Parties at every corner with each one greater than the last. Now, we've gotten back-to-back 1st Party characters from franchises with mixed receptions (with and without the influence of Smash).
I don't want to sound too hopeful, but at the very least I believe that Dee doesn't have to be completely left out of DLC Smash Speculation.
This would also be a great opportunity for the Kirby Franchise to obtain what other base-game 1st Party characters didn't get for their own inclusions, like a brand-new stage.

At the same time, I feel that if any character should join they would have to come with a promotion of sorts.
(Even Byleth and the ARMS character have something to promote after all).

Therefore the best-case scenario for Bandana Dee would have him promoting the newest Kirby game (which has even been said to be the pinnacle of the series). Most optimally though, Bandana Dee should be playable for that Kirby game so he'd have a starring role, like all of the other DLC characters for their own respective games. That would allow for people to get to know Bandana Dee if they're able to play as him for a long period of time, even outside of Smash Bros.

I also thought that if Nintendo wasn't satisfied with the sales/reception of Kirby Star Allies, this would be a good opportunity to show what the Kirby franchise really has to offer nowadays.

Overall, it feels weird to think that the stars are all of sudden aligning in a way, but it doesn't hurt to speculate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Do you all ever get the feeling B.W.D. is more likely for FP2? I'm serious, I don't know what it is, but I genuinely feel like he's happening for some reason...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Do you all ever get the feeling B.W.D. is more likely for FP2? I'm serious, I don't know what it is, but I genuinely feel like he's happening for some reason...
I wouldn't say he's likely by any means, but he's absolutely in a better spot now than he was at any point in FP1. Hopefully that gets even better after we find out the ARMS rep in (hopefully) the next month.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think he is more likely in FP2 then he was for FP1. I still don't consider him a guarantee but a low to mid key likely character. We all know about Dee's popularity and I'm sure Nintendo does too. He is literally always in the top 5 or top 3 in polls and he is literally the 2nd most popular first party or most popular first party character only tied with or behind Waluigi. I feel like If Nintendo acknowledged K. Rool's popularity and brought him back from the brink of death and put him in Smash because of the fans I feel like Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't ignore Dee either despite Sakurai just putting Kirby representation from his games.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
It all depends on what they're going for in the pass overall. If the ARMS rep isn't a spirit, I don't think any spirits will be getting promoted.

Top Bottom