• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I honestly think it had to do with the development of base-game Ultimate itself, given that only their top franchises (Mario & Zelda) got significant content like new Stages, while the other franchises kinda got pushed to the sidelines with only varied music, assist trophies, items, and PNG images.

Then Byleth came along, of course (even after the inclusion of Chrom)... granting the FE franchise its 8th character for reasons that still baffle me to this day.

But, I'm obviously not going to blame Sakurai on that front (because that particular decision reeked of yet another facet of Nintendo's questionable decision-making skills).
Even then, I've already mentioned before that Byleth's inclusion in Smash doesn't really make my blood boil like the rest of the community, but...

The mere idea of a Fire Emblem character being the only new 1st Party DLC character to join Smash (again) definitely rubs me the wrong way, especially when a popular, thriving franchise (that doesn't rely on stuff like a mobile game to apparently gauge how much content it deserves in a game like Smash) is just sitting there in plain sight with a plethora of potential fighters, including a certain strong and brave warrior destined for greatness on the battlefield.

But overall,
Whatever happens with Fighter Pass Vol. 2, happens.

It is what it is, and it's not going to change.
This has been my gripe for quite some time. For the record, I don't really hate Fire Emblem as a franchise. Heck, I don't even really dislike it. For goodness' sake, I kid you all not, I was popping OFF during Smash Ultimate's August 2018 Nintendo Direct once Chrom FINALLY got into Smash Ultimate, and he's even the second F.E. Smash announcement I've been THAT hyped for, with the first being Roy's return in Smash 4. Why, I even play as the two of them quite often.

All of this being said, it just feels annoying to me how Nintendo has so many 1st party/2nd party series that could also benefit from at least 1-2 more characters, yet nothing comes of it. I mean, I can't even begin to tell you all how much of a sick feeling in my gut that I'm going to get if Byleth (for as unique as I find them) is the ONLY 1st party to come out of either Fighter's Passes.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Byleth shows many decision making issues, adding Reggies' lack of caution made it worse. Pushing FE is an issue, question is not just other unused candidates, but even the base game fighters are better DLC choice than Byleth who could had been easily added as a base game fighter to avoid any criticism.

Back to the main topic, we get seven new 1st party fighters so far in Smash 5, just one is from a new series and six are from presented ones, and amoing the six only DK, AC and Metroid are completely out of controversy.

I guess there is no excuse for no new 1st party leading rep. Since not only it's what Smash bros really needs, and also the only option that can win over a new Kirby fighter.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Back to the main topic, we get seven new 1st party fighters so far in Smash 5, just one is from a new series and six are from presented ones, and amoing the six only DK, AC and Metroid are completely out of controversy.
As a DK fan, I can tell you that you are very very wrong about that.... in fact, it needs an specific missing main character, a stage and music as much as Kirby does now.

At least the most shill'd franchise of Nintendo, FE, is out of the way now, and with that.... there's the looming treat of another first party series with so much representation AND an extremely dissapointing and controversial game to get the content from.... that's gonna be fun..

Will Nintendo listen to the fan demand like they did with :ultbanjokazooie:? (They did? Because of what I heard, they only joined thanks to Microsoft's initiative), or will we see only third parties and promotional first parties again. I find strange that :ultjoker: and :ult_terry: were even selected in the first place,, they are so cattered to specific players and are not even staples of Nintendo's consoles, those two are the reason everyone doubts Sakurai's statement of "Nintendo chooses the characters". :ulthero: was easy because Nintendo pushes Dragon Quest in the west even harder than Fire Emblem.

In the end, we can only wait for the Fighter Pack 6 to speculate if First Parties that aren't Mario, FE or Pokémon are even being considered.
Bandana Dee and Kirby in general are too popular in Japan to ignore them forever.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
This has been my gripe for quite some time. For the record, I don't really hate Fire Emblem as a franchise. Heck, I don't even really dislike it. For goodness' sake, I kid you all not, I was popping OFF during Smash Ultimate's August 2018 Nintendo Direct once Chrom FINALLY got into Smash Ultimate, and he's even the second F.E. Smash announcement I've been THAT hyped for, with the first being Roy's return in Smash 4. Why, I even play as the two of them quite often.

All of this being said, it just feels annoying to me how Nintendo has so many 1st party/2nd party series that could also benefit from at least 1-2 more characters, yet nothing comes of it. I mean, I can't even begin to tell you all how much of a sick feeling in my gut that I'm going to get if Byleth (for as unique as I find them) is the ONLY 1st party to come out of either Fighter's Passes.
Even if it sounds like i’d rather not have someone like Byleth in the game, i’m basically in the same boat.
Also, at the very least Byleth comes from a well-received entry into its respective series, while bringing something decent to the table overall. With that being said, I hope that this means good things for other 1st Party franchise(s) in the future. Worst case scenario, this all just means “Here’s more for Fire Emblem (that’s clearly represented enough) and that’s it for 1st Parties for the rest of the DLC”.

As a DK fan, I can tell you that you are very very wrong about that.... in fact, it needs an specific missing main character, a stage and music as much as Kirby does now.

At least the most shill'd franchise of Nintendo, FE, is out of the way now, and with that.... there's the looming treat of another first party series with so much representation AND an extremely dissapointing and controversial game to get the content from.... that's gonna be fun..

Will Nintendo listen to the fan demand like they did with :ultbanjokazooie:? (They did? Because of what I heard, they only joined thanks to Microsoft's initiative), or will we see only third parties and promotional first parties again. I find strange that :ultjoker: and :ult_terry: were even selected in the first place,, they are so cattered to specific players and are not even staples of Nintendo's consoles, those two are the reason everyone doubts Sakurai's statement of "Nintendo chooses the characters". :ulthero: was easy because Nintendo pushes Dragon Quest in the west even harder than Fire Emblem.

In the end, we can only wait for the Fighter Pack 6 to speculate if First Parties that aren't Mario, FE or Pokémon are even being considered.
Bandana Dee and Kirby in general are too popular in Japan to ignore them forever.
I know the majority of the Smash Community would be foaming at the mouth if the rest of the DLC wasn’t majority 3rd Party, but three 1st Parties (Ex: Bandana Dee, Dixie, Xenoblade Char.) and three 3rd Parties would satisfy the heck out of me for Vol. 2.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I know the majority of the Smash Community would be foaming at the mouth if the rest of the DLC wasn’t majority 3rd Party, but three 1st Parties (Ex: Bandana Dee, Dixie, Xenoblade Char.) and three 3rd Parties would satisfy the heck out of me for Vol. 2.
Oh, I don't think the Smash community would be upset at a new First Party, many of them are heavily requested (And the most wanted DLC was basically a long lost first-party pick :ultbanjokazooie:), it's mostly the Fire Emblem oversaturation and how tilted the balance is in favor of that series. And humans in general hating adversiting. Variety is key here.
How times have changed, I still remember when Third Parties were looked like the exception and not the rule. But to me, many First Parties series like Kirby, DK, Xenoblade and Zelda (Hasn't had a new character since Melee!!) have being ignored for far too long and need some help via Fighter Packs.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Oh, I don't think the Smash community would be upset at a new First Party, many of them are heavily requested (And the most wanted DLC was basically a long lost first-party pick :ultbanjokazooie:), it's mostly the Fire Emblem oversaturation and how tilted the balance is in favor of that series. And humans in general hating adversiting. Variety is key here.
How times have changed, I still remember when Third Parties were looked like the exception and not the rule. But to me, many First Parties series like Kirby, DK, Xenoblade and Zelda (Hasn't had a new character since Melee!!) have being ignored for far too long and need some help via Fighter Packs.
I always bring up this in different places, and the usual reply is "FE is popular enough to warrant that many characters". Sure, maybe, but 3 of them come from a single game (that helped rejuvenate the franchise, still weird), and the most recent seem to be direct advertisements. Technically, Marth and Roy were even advertisements in Melee! Although numbers of sales do indicate that FE is pretty popular, I do not believe they're on the same level as Pokemon or Mario, simply because a casual fan is more likely to recognize Mario or Pikachu over Byleth or Corrin.

Anyways, anyone else still find it weird that Knuckle Joe has been an assist for three games and his voice still sounds like toad?
Or that Nightmare and Joe have voices, but Kawasaki doesn't?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always bring up this in different places, and the usual reply is "FE is popular enough to warrant that many characters". Sure, maybe, but 3 of them come from a single game (that helped rejuvenate the franchise, still weird), and the most recent seem to be direct advertisements. Technically, Marth and Roy were even advertisements in Melee! Although numbers of sales do indicate that FE is pretty popular, I do not believe they're on the same level as Pokemon or Mario, simply because a casual fan is more likely to recognize Mario or Pikachu over Byleth or Corrin.

Anyways, anyone else still find it weird that Knuckle Joe has been an assist for three games and his voice still sounds like toad?
Or that Nightmare and Joe have voices, but Kawasaki doesn't?
hey knuckle joe doesnt sound like toad

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Yep, that's basically the thing with Smash nowadays and basically Ultimate's DLC thus far.
There's a much higher chance for someone's wildest 3rd Party dreams to come true, than another who wants a 1st Party character. (Unless you want a Fire Emblem character, cause then you'd be in luck).

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
You be the judge, it feels like those clips could easily be used by Toad!

Fun fact, that's actually Pit's japanese voice, AKA Detective Conan.
And no, she hasn't voiced a Toad.

Edit: Nevermind, Knuckle Joe got a localized voice too, that is the same actress of Zero Suit Samus's since Brawl and Krystal's voice.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You be the judge, it feels like those clips could easily be used by Toad!

Fun fact, that's actually Pit's japanese voice, AKA Detective Conan.
And no, she hasn't voiced a Toad.

Edit: Nevermind, Knuckle Joe got a localized voice too, that is the same actress of Zero Suit Samus's since Brawl and Krystal's voice.
You know, I've known about them sharing a VA in Smash Bros. for some time now, and I STILL have to ask... THAT'S ZERO SUIT SAMUS AND KRYSTAL???

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
You know, I've known about them sharing a VA in Smash Bros. for some time now, and I STILL have to ask... THAT'S ZERO SUIT SAMUS AND KRYSTAL???
The mighty power of sound engineering can make a game director sound like Dedede so....

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
sore throat?

completely off topic but i take it you were pleased with the number 1 johto pokemon from the vote?
I was surprised it even got up there! But it was a google driven voting system, so gen 1, 2 and anybody in smash was pretty much guaranteed a spot. (But I really wish there was an easier way to change names on here than just premium, I haven't used an Umbreon name on anything in years! I now go by KillJestah a majority of places)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was surprised it even got up there! But it was a google driven voting system, so gen 1, 2 and anybody in smash was pretty much guaranteed a spot. (But I really wish there was an easier way to change names on here than just premium, I haven't used an Umbreon name on anything in years! I now go by KillJestah a majority of places)
well its been a while since i earned a fog badge

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright everyone, it JUST became Bandana Dee's day on Rate Their Chances. Lets get over there and overinflate his Chance score to make him look more likely then he actually is!

What? That's what the Isaac and Geno fans did on their days. Why can't we?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright everyone, it JUST became Bandana Dee's day on Rate Their Chances. Lets get over there and overinflate his Chance score to make him look more likely then he actually is!

What? That's what the Isaac and Geno fans did on their days. Why can't we?
Now, now, give proper chance ratings that reflect what you actually believe his chances to be.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If someone ever tells you that Bandana Dee can't have a spirit board:

Bandana Dee Spirit Board (1).png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Good news, everyone! On the RTC thread, Bandana Dee got a 21.70% Chance and a 74.41% Want. This means he's not only considered the most likely first-party character to appear as DLC, but is also the most wanted first-party character!

That being said, we're currently rating Rex right now, so that could change at a moment's notice...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Good news, everyone! On the RTC thread, Bandana Dee got a 21.70% Chance and a 74.41% Want. This means he's not only considered the most likely first-party character to appear as DLC, but is also the most wanted first-party character!

That being said, we're currently rating Rex right now, so that could change at a moment's notice...
well thats something

11th

Smash Apprentice
I finally went through the trouble of getting some Star Allies models, and I discovered something very important about Waddle Dees.

... Look at how pudgy he is from the top. ♪
BWD Top 3-10-20.png

I also finally upgraded to Bender 2.8x and I'm trying to relearn everything, help.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I enjoyed watching this video. It's a long one, but I used a timestamp to jump straight to the section on Bandanna Dee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5aQxmsrv4&t=4878s

He's listed in the category for characters that translate really easily into Smash (along with Dante) - they don't have a lot to talk about because the movesets or playstyles for both of these characters seem pretty straightforward.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I enjoyed watching this video. It's a long one, but I used a timestamp to jump straight to the section on Bandanna Dee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5aQxmsrv4&t=4878s

He's listed in the category for characters that translate really easily into Smash (along with Dante) - they don't have a lot to talk about because the movesets or playstyles for both of these characters seem pretty straightforward.
Lot of takes I really don't agree with there, but that's beside the point. At least they can see how Bandana Dee and Kirby characters in general have practically premade movesets.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Lot of takes I really don't agree with there, but that's beside the point. At least they can see how Bandana Dee and Kirby characters in general have practically premade movesets.
Yeah, I didn't agree with their view on Geno in particular, but it was still interesting to watch and hear some different ideas about characters like Crash Bandicoot, or why Bandanna Dee would make a ton of sense.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
This is all the more reason to innovate the Kirby franchise. All big names are selling at least 1 million there is no excuses at this point
Personally, I'm hoping for a 3D Kirby. If we can't have that, at the very least a remake of Crystal Shards would be great.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Happy birthday to both Dream Land 2 (25) and Super Star (24), including a certain bandana boy~

BanDee BIRTHDAY 3-21-20.png

Top Bottom