• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I guess the Bandana Dee spirit being an enhance of normal Waddle Dee didn't help. Captain Toad is also an enhancement of normal Toad but you can't compete against Mario's massive popularity. Everyone that has played Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, 3D World, Treasure Tracker or Odyssey already knows Captain Toad is an unique character. I could say the same for all the Kirby games since Ultra. But Kirby's player base isn't comparable to the biggest videogame franchise of the world ,neither is Fire Emblem's.

I would actually love if they would release a new compilation of the DS games for Switch (Because they are becoming really expensive, specially Ultra >_>) or an HD collection of Return to Dreamland / Triple Deluxe / Planet Robobot with the Star Allies engine and a port the underappreciated Rainbow Curse (Because it seems like the new Kirby game is a long way ago). That would make Bandana Dee way more known against ignorant people.

But trolls will always exist. That's something you can't just get off until the character finally gets in. I speak as a Dixie fan that usually gets some reply from some inmature dude calling her "wig Diddy". Makes me want to slap DKC2 in his face and force him to beat everything.
"Wig Diddy" is definitely one that's new to me.
I wonder if people genuinely think that name-calling like that is funny...

Are they eventually going to start calling characters like Dante and 2B "clothed humans" or something?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
"Wig Diddy" is definitely one that's new to me.
I wonder if people genuinely think that name-calling like that is funny...

Are they eventually going to start calling characters like Dante and 2B "clothed humans" or something?
That was intentional wasn't it?

hey lets not be turning on captain toad, its not his fault gameexplain are being pleasant
Oh don't worry. I would never turn against our little buddy that is also the main representant his own species... unless he makes me play Mummy-Me Maze Forever again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That was intentional wasn't it?

Oh don't worry. I would never turn against our little buddy that is also the main representant his own species... unless he makes me play Mummy-Me Maze Forever again.
well "the" toad is the main representative of the species but this isnt the place for that

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
With a mechanic like that, the distance it covers in game, and it being his unique move that separates him from Spear, I feel like it's more suited to being a special move. His dash attack could just be the good 'ol slide.

Also I've played 150+ hours of Star Allies and I had no idea Bandee could pole vault out of Ground Thrust lmao. There's so many little things in this game I love it
Pole vault?

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I think his chances will be in a good spot, once we see what HAL has cooked up. The next game I would say will finally make the jump to full 3D. Unlike the other spin off or arena based games, but a full adventure. I think the final boss of star allies was a some what testing ground for that transition. I think E3 this year they may have something to show. But I think last year they just started the project, I think when they said they were looking to hire people for a new Kirby game. my BIG hope is that he does not get sidelined as a item distributor or cameo. If he does get another playable roll I want to see new moves and them using his voice again.

On another note, what would be the theme for the next one? last one was kind of a anniversary celebration. it would be cool to see something more in the realm of amazing mirror/great cave offensive again for the exploration aspect,

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So Chuggaconroy confirmed today that his next Let's Play will be Kirby Triple Deluxe, which is apparently the game that made him a Kirby fan. Do you guys think he'll take a moment to talk about Bandana Waddle Dee? I know he doesn't have a major role in that game, but still.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I think his chances will be in a good spot, once we see what HAL has cooked up. The next game I would say will finally make the jump to full 3D. Unlike the other spin off or arena based games, but a full adventure. I think the final boss of star allies was a some what testing ground for that transition. I think E3 this year they may have something to show. But I think last year they just started the project, I think when they said they were looking to hire people for a new Kirby game. my BIG hope is that he does not get sidelined as a item distributor or cameo. If he does get another playable roll I want to see new moves and them using his voice again.

On another note, what would be the theme for the next one? last one was kind of a anniversary celebration. it would be cool to see something more in the realm of amazing mirror/great cave offensive again for the exploration aspect,
I'm thinking that for such a big jump (for the Kirby series at least), I think the story will revolve around a "soft-reboot" of the series, making Nightmare the main villain (for at least one game) yet again. I didn't say Dedede because it's already clear that the Dream Land Squad is in good terms with each other, and basically serve their roles as the defenders of Dream Land at this point.

I don't think that there will be a huge gimmick, but rather just Kirby + Copy Abilities + Platforming/Puzzles/Challenges + 3D Environment.

If there isn't multi-player (or more than one playable character for Story Mode), I would like for the other three members of the squad to have their own separate mini-modes in which they are playable. (Basically the solidify that Bandana Dee is still a main character, and provide the game with more options of gameplay).

[/QUOTE]Do have a picture of it because I don't have it right now?[/QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/HypraSeaPea/status/1222950576490598400?s=20
Here's where I found it first.

So Chuggaconroy confirmed today that his next Let's Play will be Kirby Triple Deluxe, which is apparently the game that made him a Kirby fan. Do you guys think he'll take a moment to talk about Bandana Waddle Dee? I know he doesn't have a major role in that game, but still.
Maybe when he shows up, he'll talk briefly about his evolution from trying to beat Kirby to becoming Kirby's good friend.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Hopefully he mentions smash also

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think Emile has already said he's not a huge fan of Smash. Has he made an LP of Return to Dreamland?
Anyway. Bandana Dee getting a shout out should be good. Too bad he will be only giving food.
I'm going to see his episodes of the True Arena just because I want to see him "enjoying the game".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello there. I love Bandana Dee and I think he’d be a great addition to Super Smash Bros. I support him.:kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, so I've been seeing articles lately saying Byleth was Nintendo's choice, not Sakurai's, and that he still thinks there are too many Fire Emblem characters. If that's the case, I'm not so sure if Nintendo is any more on our side (advocating to add Bandana Dee) than Sakurai is... thoughts?

P47

Smash Apprentice
Some Spirit Battle Ideas that I came up with (only using songs and stages that are in the game atm)
  • Hyness (***)
    • Stage: Fountain of Dreams
    • First you fight a yellow Robin that mostly uses Neutral B, aerials, and smash attacks. Once she's defeated, you fight a white Robin that gains major speed and damage buffs upon reaching 50% damage
  • Dark Meta Knight (***)
    • Stage: Reset Bomb Forest (Omega)
    • Song: Gourmet Race (Brawl) (don't feel too good about this one. Maybe Id Purpose since the opening is vaguely similar to his theme?)
    • A Meta Knight with the DMK alt and a Franklin Badge equipped
  • Sphere Doomers (*) -> Grand Doomer (**)
    • Stage: Fountain of Dreams
    • Song: CROWNED
    • 4 Ridleys (1 red, 1 default, 1 silver, and 1 green) that mostly use Neutral B and Up B. Once they're defeated you fight a giant golden Ridley
  • Adeleine and Ribbon (***)
    • Stage: Dream Land
    • Song: Planet Popstar
    • A mini pink Villager that mostly uses F-Air and B-Air and a Mii Swordfighter wearing Vince's outfit and a Mario hat
  • Void Termina (***) -> Void (****)
    • Stage: Spear Pillar (Omega)
    • Song: Kirby Retro Medley
    • First you fight a giant Bowser (grey alt). Once defeated, you fight a giant monochrome Kirby that has instadrop.
  • Ice Dragon (*)
    • Stage: Summit
    • Song: Boss Theme Medley - Kirby Series
    • Giant light blue SoPo that has insta-drop, starts with a freezie, and uses neutral B a lot
  • Zero (***) -> 02 (****)
    • Stage: Dream Land GB (Omega)
    • Song: 02 Battle
    • Killer Eyes periodically drop onto the stage. First, you fight a giant monochrome Kirby with Impact Run. When that is defeated, you fight a mini red Kirby that has 300% damage.
  • Dark Matter (True Form) (***)
    • Stage: Halberd (Hazards off)
    • Song: 02 Battle
    • First you fight a Meta Knight (black and red alt). After he is defeated, you then fight a Kirby (MK alt) that starts equipped with a staff. The battle is timed.
  • President Haltmann (***)
    • Stage: Shadow Moses Island
    • Song: Pink Ball Activate
    • A Golden ROB that has Super Armor, Insta-Drop, and uses Side-B a lot. Periodically, controls are reversed and the ROB gains a massive speed boost. After a while, two Mini ROBs spawn.
  • Star Dream (***) -> Galactic Nova (****)
    • Stage: either Lylat Cruise or Halberd
    • Song: Gourmet Race (Melee)
    • Stamina battle. A giant ROB with Super Armor that periodically turns invincible. Bob-ombs, Hocotate Bombs, Black Holes, Drills, and Super Scopes can all spawn during this battle. The battle is timed.
(couldn't come up with one for Taranza besides that his song would be The World to Win. There are a bunch of other characters that could use spirits too)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm, so I've been seeing articles lately saying Byleth was Nintendo's choice, not Sakurai's, and that he still thinks there are too many Fire Emblem characters. If that's the case, I'm not so sure if Nintendo is any more on our side (advocating to add Bandana Dee) than Sakurai is... thoughts?
my thoughts is sakurai is just agreeing with the fans to save face

FancySmash

Smash Lord
my thoughts is sakurai is just agreeing with the fans to save face
That's a possibility I suppose, but at that point, why bother with the addition if he knew this kind of outcome? I certainly wouldn't put it past Nintendo to choose Byleth after what I dub the Corrin incident.

Be that as it may, I just have doubts that Nintendo would ever add Bandana Dee unless there was a Kirby game they were dying to promote. Though, from what I can recall, Nintendo doesn't advertise Kirby much. Why is that? I always saw Kirby as a pretty big deal. Not you're Mario or Zelda, but certainly a bigger franchise than some others in Smash.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
That's a possibility I suppose, but at that point, why bother with the addition if he knew this kind of outcome? I certainly wouldn't put it past Nintendo to choose Byleth after what I dub the Corrin incident.

Be that as it may, I just have doubts that Nintendo would ever add Bandana Dee unless there was a Kirby game they were dying to promote. Though, from what I can recall, Nintendo doesn't advertise Kirby much. Why is that? I always saw Kirby as a pretty big deal. Not you're Mario or Zelda, but certainly a bigger franchise than some others in Smash.
Well, Sakurai did say before that there were too many Fire Emblem characters in Sm4sh, so I doubt he'd be smug enough to put another one if it wasn't for Nintendo's influence. Perhaps Sakurai didn't want to deny that he could make a moveset for Byleth as well, along with the possible idea that he could at least convince people that Fire Emblem characters can still be unique. (Granted, Corrin was enough to prove that, but Corrin is an underwhelming character from an underwhelming game).

and yeah, I guess Bandana Dee's chances truly fall on whether or not there's a new Kirby game coming up that he could promote, considering that Byleth at least reps a piece of Fire Emblem that hadn't been represented in Smash beforehand.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well, Sakurai did say before that there were too many Fire Emblem characters in Sm4sh, so I doubt he'd be smug enough to put another one if it wasn't for Nintendo's influence. Perhaps Sakurai didn't want to deny that he could make a moveset for Byleth as well, along with the possible idea that he could at least convince people that Fire Emblem characters can still be unique. (Granted, Corrin was enough to prove that, but Corrin is an underwhelming character from an underwhelming game).

and yeah, I guess Bandana Dee's chances truly fall on whether or not there's a new Kirby game coming up that he could promote, considering that Byleth at least reps a piece of Fire Emblem that hadn't been represented in Smash beforehand.
Agreed. If Sakurai's be totally honest here, then I'd easily believe he'd be brutally honest with Nintendo if they asked him "can you make a moveset for Byleth." Still, it upsets me that this is what Nintendo wants to do with first party characters. What's that? Characters like Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, (Captain) Toad, and [Insert Zelda character here] still aren't in the game? They'll have to wait. New guy from FE is more important.

I get wanting to preserve FE so it doesn't end up nearly dying again, that's admirable. But if they aren't careful, I feel the series that they neglect to do things like this (over promote a series, looking at FE, Pokemon, and somewhat Mario) could end up going that very route. Obviously not DK, Zelda, or Kirby, but look at F-Zero. I have to admit that I don't believe F-Zero will ever come back.

Last edited:

P47

Smash Apprentice
Though, from what I can recall, Nintendo doesn't advertise Kirby much. Why is that? I always saw Kirby as a pretty big deal. Not you're Mario or Zelda, but certainly a bigger franchise than some others in Smash.
Spitballing here but probably some combination of (some of these definitely overlap)
  • The franchise being "kiddy"
  • People only focusing on Adventure, DL1, and especially Superstar (+ Ultra) with maybe the occasional mention of Epic Yarn and 64
  • Lack of (or rather lopsidedness of) Smash representation
  • The games not taking "huge risks" for the most part
  • People and content creators seeing it as 'that other' Nintendo franchise and glossing it over, perpetuating the cycle
  • The games doing better in the East than in the West

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

but why would nintendo only want to promote 3 houses? thats the main thing thts never made any sense to me every thinks it must have been nintendo, but if it was why

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Spitballing here but probably some combination of (some of these definitely overlap)
  • The franchise being "kiddy"
  • People only focusing on Adventure, DL1, and especially Superstar (+ Ultra) with maybe the occasional mention of Epic Yarn and 64
  • Lack of (or rather lopsidedness) of Smash representation
  • The games not taking "huge risks" for the most part
  • People and content creators seeing it as 'that other' Nintendo franchise and glossing it over, perpetuating the cycle
  • The games doing better in the East than in the West
I guess that makes sense. Honestly, I'm expecting them to make a big risk sometime soon and go full 3D.

but why would nintendo only want to promote 3 houses? thats the main thing thts never made any sense to me every thinks it must have been nintendo, but if it was why
Well, the way I see it, they had two choices, and of the two choices I get why they chose 3 Houses.

Three Houses and Sword and Shield were the major releases around this time. And, given the tear to the fan base that reception to Sword and Shield caused, 3 Houses was a much safer choice.

Granted, I don't think we needed an advertisement character. We're paying for a character pass, not to be advertised another game. Sadly, I don't think this concept is gonna go away for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai has different ideas on how to deal with a large number of reps than the fans. Fans think "put in a ****ton more reps from the series I prerer" while Sakurai thinks "add in the fan requested FE character rather than someone more relevant+one that isn't just a swordsman with a counter" or in other words, add one that contrasts Corrin feeling like a shill and one that contrasts most FE reps feeling like clones.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Corrin is an underwhelming character from an underwhelming game
"Underwhelming" is being nice to Fates. Corrin is the one Smash character that I can't ever justify at all (and I wouldn't be caught dead trying, ew). They've aged like Donte in PSABR.

I appreciate the love and effort put forth to at least try and scrub some of the corporate stench off of the FEs by making them unique as possible but they will simply never have the appeal of additions like say, Simon, even coming from a well-regarded game like Three Houses.

Nintendo's approach is maddening because it genuinely makes me want to play Fire Emblem less, even when it's actually good like TH.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, the way I see it, they had two choices, and of the two choices I get why they chose 3 Houses.

Three Houses and Sword and Shield were the major releases around this time. And, given the tear to the fan base that reception to Sword and Shield caused, 3 Houses was a much safer choice.

Granted, I don't think we needed an advertisement character. We're paying for a character pass, not to be advertised another game. Sadly, I don't think this concept is gonna go away for Nintendo.
thats does make sense, but supposedly the dlc was selected before that all kicked off

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm... Honestly, after Sakurai's article on the subject, I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't occurred to me either...

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
You know what they say no risk no reward. And that is exactly what the Kirby franchise needs if it's to be respected. Making the jump to 3D is a step in the right direction but if that's all they are going to do with this next title it's going to fall flat. Look at all the other franchises that have done it years before. You cannot take baby steps in this day and age, they HAVE to make a big splash or get left behind.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
You know what they say no risk no reward. And that is exactly what the Kirby franchise needs if it's to be respected. Making the jump to 3D is a step in the right direction but if that's all they are going to do with this next title it's going to fall flat. Look at all the other franchises that have done it years before. You cannot take baby steps in this day and age, they HAVE to make a big splash or get left behind.
I could talk for ages on what my ideal Core 3D Kirby game would be like, but I certainly do hope that HAL makes a mighty leap into the concept, rather than a baby step. They've certainly been dipping their toes into 3D Gameplay with side-games like Kirby Blowout Blast (Platforming) and Kirby Battle Royale (Copy Abilities within a 3D area), but for a console like the Switch, I hope they at least try to go above and beyond a more simplistic form of effort.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree, Kirby needs to have its own Breath of the Wild/Odyssey moment. Something that really makes people notice. Evolve hard and never look back.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I could talk for ages on what my ideal Core 3D Kirby game would be like, but I certainly do hope that HAL makes a mighty leap into the concept, rather than a baby step. They've certainly been dipping their toes into 3D Gameplay with side-games like Kirby Blowout Blast (Platforming) and Kirby Battle Royale (Copy Abilities within a 3D area), but for a console like the Switch, I hope they at least try to go above and beyond a more simplistic form of effort.
Um... could I hear your ideas?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't want Kirby to become a 3D-only platformer. Like, maybe give us one or two big 3D games, but stick to 2D for the most part.

Top Bottom