• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
that reveal just sort of renforced sakurai's biases so......... were doomed
Yeah Sakurai ditching Rex only to give Byleth special treatment just proves that there's no change we're looking for any time soon.

well yes thats true but i cant help it when sakurai goes with one his preferences again it makes me feel hes gonna stick to his others
I'm pretty sure it's actually VERY indicative. Firstly, the pattern we see shows us that Sakurai is following the same formula as last DLC, down to the Fire Emblem exception. Also, thanks to the spear in Byleth's moveset, we no longer have the "No spear users" argument on our side. On top of that, Sakurai just added a spear user; there's VERY little chance he'd add another until Smash 6/7 for the sake of variety. Furthermore, we just lost our Nintendo rep slot. It's just like the last Smash game, where all of the newcomers were third party with the exception of one Nintendo character, both being Fire Emblem protagonists. Finally, he spared Byleth from being a spirit because he knew Byleth would be in the game. Meanwhile, Bandana Dee's a spirit because Sakurai knows Bandana Dee's NOT gonna be in the game.

I've come to terms with Bandana Dee being impossible a while ago. I think I can accept almost anyone that Sakurai can add that isn't FNaF or something horrible like that (I really hope there are no FNaF fans/supporters on this thread to hear me say that. I just really want jumpscares away from Smash). As I just said, I'm not mad about Byleth, but you can't deny it hurts Bandana Dee's chances BIG TIME, just when we thought it couldn't realistically get much worse.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
The fact that the explosion of Fire Emblem's success in 2012 has gotten three unique characters, two clones, an assist trophy, three stages, seven remixes and a Mii costume while the revitalization of the Kirby series after Return to Dream Land in 2011 has amounted to literally not a single thing is probably the most disheartening thing about today's reveal to me.

I'm just hoping that Bandana Waddle Dee (or hell, literally any other non-Kirby character) can get in at this point, especially because I don't think spirits deconfirm anymore. Maybe we'll be able to reverse the curse.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Okay, double hottake from me - I feel the first pass was mostly Sakurai's personal picks, sans Banjo. I mean, think about it: He's a huge fan of Persona and Dragon Quest (literally would have put a slime if Square said no Hero), Terry/Fatal Fury directly inspired the creation of Smash, and we just heard that he pretty much played through every 3 Houses route without a guide. Banjo seems to be the only outlier?

Second take - doesn't it feel wrong that a new franchise (ARMS) and a franchise with a decently new game (XC2) were said to be released too late to get a fighter, yet 3 Houses didn't fall under that rule? I think it's more of that Sakurai hasn't played XC2 or ARMS. What I find confusing is the idea that Sakurai himself implies that he doesn't like adding a character unless he's played their game first? But, I mean, doesn't he have Sora Ltd. or Bandai Namco for that? I know it's better to play the games yourself, but he pretty much implied that he likes to 100% a game before thinking about what can work from it. I guess the biggest takeaway from me at the moment would be that it seems like once again, Fire Emblem got a new fighter to promote the series, again...
Byleth is fine, and their moveset seems alright. It just seems off that Xenoblade and ARMS were considered too late, yet 3 Houses was just fine? We first "learned" about 3 Houses' existence as just Fire Emblem for Switch way back in January 2017, right after the time Sakurai said the "cutoff" for thought of characters started. Arms was out in June, XC2 December. I figure they already knew they were doing dlc, so why not hold those series for dlc fighters??? I'm...hurting my brain trying to understand this, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
at this point I just want something Kirby related for new content. seems like the Kirby franchise is been held as second rate and that makes me sad.

P47

Smash Apprentice
at this point I just want something Kirby related for new content. seems like the Kirby franchise is been held as second rate and that makes me sad.
Wish granted. Mr. Frosty is the next DLC fighter and his showcase will feature Sakurai talking about the development of all 3 Kirby games for 15 minutes :4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wish granted. Mr. Frosty is the next DLC fighter and his showcase will feature Sakurai talking about the development of all 3 Kirby games for 15 minutes :4pacman:
Personally, I'd prefer Rocky, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I honestly think Byleth is a double edged sword. On one hand, yeah, they are first party. On the other hand... they purposely made sure not to do a FE:3H spirit event. Is that because Sakurai saw it pointless, or because spirits deconfirm? It's troubling to say the least. Add to that, in Smash 4's DLC, Corrin was the only 1st party newcomer, the rest were vets and 3rd party. Seems a little familiar. If these 6 are it, IDK what the cards hold. Personally, I'm not wild about our chances, mainly because the one 1st party we've seen is from a recent title, but hey, I also didn't expect 1st party until round 2, so take all that for what you will.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I honestly think Byleth is a double edged sword. On one hand, yeah, they are first party. On the other hand... they purposely made sure not to do a FE:3H spirit event. Is that because Sakurai saw it pointless, or because spirits deconfirm? It's troubling to say the least. Add to that, in Smash 4's DLC, Corrin was the only 1st party newcomer, the rest were vets and 3rd party. Seems a little familiar. If these 6 are it, IDK what the cards hold. Personally, I'm not wild about our chances, mainly because the one 1st party we've seen is from a recent title, but hey, I also didn't expect 1st party until round 2, so take all that for what you will.
Since the first and second pass were planned separately, I don't think they'd adhere to the same rules. Base game spirits might have deconfirmed for the first pass, but I predict they'll be eligible for the second.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I thought most people agreed Spirited characters would be fair game again once Fighter Pass 1 ended.
I don't really see how Byleth changes this.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I thought most people agreed Spirited characters would be fair game again once Fighter Pass 1 ended.
I don't reallyy see how Byleth changes this.
byleth doesnt really affect any spirit theories, but they do kind of make you think sakurai may stick to his bias for his own kirby games

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Since the first and second pass were planned separately, I don't think they'd adhere to the same rules. Base game spirits might have deconfirmed for the first pass, but I predict they'll be eligible for the second.
I don't really see how Byleth changes this.
It's more so an observation that they withheld a spirit event for FE at Three House's launch, when they realistically could've done an event just to throw people off and then add Byleth anyways. Doesn't really change things in the long run, more that we still have no clear indication towards spirits what so ever, or worse, he avoided the spirit thing because he doesn't think they should be both spirits and playable. Time will tell I suppose.

Disturbedfan199220

Smash Rookie
Im a staunch supporter for Bandana Dee for Smash, I really hope that Sakurai feels the same as me and many other fans of the very Kirby series that he created!!! If I were directing the Smash Ultimate Sequel here will be the Kirby Characters I would include of which there will be a total of 5!!!

* = New Character

Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
*Bandana Dee
*Adaleine & Ribbon

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t see why Sakurai would have a bias against a character he created. Bandanna Dee’s popularity has risen recently, so I can see why he wasn’t added yet, but I think he has a real chance for Pass 2. People can say Sakurai bias was what led to Byleth being added, but FE is a huge series, popular in both Japan and the west

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I mean Mr Sakurai him self said Nintendo is picking the characters this time. But then again he also said that byleth was a surprise to even the employees at Nintendo. Wish there was more acknowledgement to modern Kirby. Hell we still don't have bandana dee avatar icons on the switch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don’t see why Sakurai would have a bias against a character he created. Bandanna Dee’s popularity has risen recently, so I can see why he wasn’t added yet, but I think he has a real chance for Pass 2. People can say Sakurai bias was what led to Byleth being added, but FE is a huge series, popular in both Japan and the west
true he created him, but his role in fun pack is really miner and it was games after sakurai left the series that led bandana to be as popular as he is, ultimate is the first smash game with really any acknowledgement of him. the reason why people thing sakurai is bias towards fire emblem is because there are bigger are popular nintendo franchises with far less.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
It's not really a bias against Bandana Dee specifically. It's more rumored that he has a bias against Modern Kirby as a whole. If I recall, he left the series around Kirby Air Ride (Kirby Air Ride 2 when?), and Bandana Dee didn't really become prominent until a remake of Super Star. As far as I know, Sakurai wasn't too involved in Super Star Ultra, and Bandana Dee becoming more than a simple sub game foe was never his intent. It's when we look at Kirby's representation in Smash as a whole does something seem off. When we look at the stages, the latest game a stage is from is Super Star. Not even Ultra, just Super Star. The Assist Trophies in the game include Nightmare, Knuckle Joe, and Chef Kawasaki. Now, if adding a new Kirby character was never intended, wouldn't it have been better to make say a Bandana Dee or Magolor assist trophy? On the flip side, we did get the Ultra Sword and Masked Dedede as Kirby and Dedede's final smash, and Meta Knight even got some more modern alts. Still, it would seem that Kirby's recent outings don't seem to interest Sakurai as much as the things he worked on. Shame too, I'd have loved a Moonstruck Blossom remix.

To get away from the whole "Sakurai hates modern Kirby" thing, I've recently learned from viewing pages on The Cutting Room Floor that Hyness was indeed meant to be playable in Star Allies, but was cut. Though I'm sure most of you all probably already know that. I was just surprise to find that out. Shame, I would've liked seeing what he could do.

Deanp66

Smash Rookie
Hey can you add me to the support list. I’ve been a bandana dee fan since I first played return to dreamland and would love to see him in the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not really a bias against Bandana Dee specifically. It's more rumored that he has a bias against Modern Kirby as a whole. If I recall, he left the series around Kirby Air Ride (Kirby Air Ride 2 when?), and Bandana Dee didn't really become prominent until a remake of Super Star. As far as I know, Sakurai wasn't too involved in Super Star Ultra, and Bandana Dee becoming more than a simple sub game foe was never his intent. It's when we look at Kirby's representation in Smash as a whole does something seem off. When we look at the stages, the latest game a stage is from is Super Star. Not even Ultra, just Super Star. The Assist Trophies in the game include Nightmare, Knuckle Joe, and Chef Kawasaki. Now, if adding a new Kirby character was never intended, wouldn't it have been better to make say a Bandana Dee or Magolor assist trophy? On the flip side, we did get the Ultra Sword and Masked Dedede as Kirby and Dedede's final smash, and Meta Knight even got some more modern alts. Still, it would seem that Kirby's recent outings don't seem to interest Sakurai as much as the things he worked on. Shame too, I'd have loved a Moonstruck Blossom remix.

To get away from the whole "Sakurai hates modern Kirby" thing, I've recently learned from viewing pages on The Cutting Room Floor that Hyness was indeed meant to be playable in Star Allies, but was cut. Though I'm sure most of you all probably already know that. I was just surprise to find that out. Shame, I would've liked seeing what he could do.
which one is moonstruck blossom from?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

He left around Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Grear game by the way), it was the last kirby game he worked on

11th

Smash Apprentice
fogbadge fogbadge : Both are the same song. Per Wikirby:
This track was localized as "Moonstruck Blossom" in a developer post on Kirby: Triple Deluxe Miiverse. However, its official English name is "Fatal Blooms in Moonlight" in Kirby: Triple Deluxe Soundtrack CD and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Pokelego999 Pokelego999 : He didn't really work on Amazing Mirror. He was more of an outside advisor for it, I think. The last game he actually worked on with HAL was Air Ride.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I personally think Fire Emblem is just a franchise that it lends to characters a bit too well, the franchise it's about the characters that we use and growth to like (it was one of the things that made the game special among other Strategy games, and even after Langrisser, FFT and Shining Force arrived it was still more loved in Japan than all of them); though I think with the more the times advance, I think Fire Emblem would actually ended up having tons of ATs in the future now that the franchise it trascended to 3D, probably also to balance the fact it's quite hard to design Fire Emblem items without being copies of other items.

The only other franchises than have more characters that Fire Emblem are "known even by your grandmother", and in Pokémon's case the game itself it's about these creatures.

Not an excuse, just a perspective of how Fire Emblem ended up with so many characters.

____

Now... What the future will say about our beloved ball? Who knows, but I'm hoping hard.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Cross your fingers for a new Kirby game announcement, that's fully 3d and has Bandana Dee not getting shafted as a 2nd thought like last game. I know they Just started development. But I'm hoping we get to see something for the next major entry.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Is anyone else a little annoyed that we're just supposed to "not say anything, and let Fire Emblem fans be happy with their 8 characters" when y'know... other Nintendo franchises were (and still are) practically "fighting" for table scraps in the form of PNG images that everyone could care less about?

Granted, I wouldn't remove Byleth from the game if I had a chance, because I recognize that FE: Three Houses's anticipated success probably pushed Sakurai to include some representation (for better or worse when it came to fan-reception).

Even then, some of the arguments combating the negativity towards Byleth's inclusion rubs me the wrong way.

"Fire Emblem doesn't have too many reps, look at Mario and Pokemon!"
"Fire Emblem deserves all the reps they get, the franchise is just that popular!"
"Be grateful that we were even getting more characters in the first place!"
"Go play with the other 80+ characters if you're even the least bit upset!" as if people weren't doing that already
"H O E S M A D"

At this point, I hope that such an odd defense squad rises up to defend another controversial character like Bandana Dee if he ever makes it into Smash.
(and preferably WITHOUT the "Hoes Mad" meme)

Anyway, I don't want to sound too entitled (although it would be a shame if Byleth was the only 1st Party DLC), but the whole current situation is just frustrating to me. (Including the people who dislike Byleth and think that they're just "another one")

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Is anyone else a little annoyed that we're just supposed to "not say anything, and let Fire Emblem fans be happy with their 8 characters" when y'know... other Nintendo franchises were (and still are) practically "fighting" for table scraps in the form of PNG images that everyone could care less about?

Granted, I wouldn't remove Byleth from the game if I had a chance, because I recognize that FE: Three Houses's anticipated success probably pushed Sakurai to include some representation (for better or worse when it came to fan-reception).

Even then, some of the arguments combating the negativity towards Byleth's inclusion rubs me the wrong way.

"Fire Emblem deserves all the reps they get, the franchise is just that popular!"
"Go play with the other 80+ characters if you're even the least bit upset!" as if people weren't doing that already
"H O E S M A D"

At this point, I hope that such an odd defense squad rises up to defend another controversial character like Bandana Dee if he ever makes it into Smash.

Anyway, I don't want to sound too entitled (although it would be a shame if Byleth was the only 1st Party DLC), but the whole current situation is just frustrating to me. (Including the people who dislike Byleth and think that they're just "another one")
THIS. THIS right here. This is exactly how I feel in regards to the Byleth situation right now. For me, this whole thing is Corrin all over again.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990

"H O E S M A D"

I'm tired of criticism being deflected by "whataboutisms" look at xenoblade, wario and Hell even KIRBY. If I'm being honest I love 3 houses I got about what 100 hours on it. But if half your series are clones. People will get mad. Why is it so wrong to be disappointed? At least Pokemon has variety with the Movesets (besides the Chus).

P47

Smash Apprentice
I don't even care about all the FE representation, I just wish the Smash team didn't treat non-Sakurai Kirby like a complete afterthought

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don't even care about all the FE representation, I just wish the Smash team didn't treat non-Sakurai Kirby like a complete afterthought
Agree with you, it's just sad. (same with Zelda having clones and requested Zelda characters everyone wants are Assist Trophies or Spirits.)

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Y'know, I completely agree with this.
I probably wouldn't give two Waddle Doos about Fire Emblem representation if Bandana Dee and more Modern Kirby content in general (aside from unremixed songs, updated Final Smashes and PNG images) was in Smash by now. (Especially since I even like Byleth, just not some of their fans.)

I guess I'm just worried about ol' Bandee's chances at this point...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

"H O E S M A D"

the thing i dont get is when people try to come up with excuses for byleth other than sakurai's bias, cause so many of the explanations would also apply to other nintendo franchises with less. the other thing that gets me is, if you like byleth then surely your happy sakurai is bias towards FE, so why make excuses for him?

i do hope that this long anticipation for bandanna will prevent us all for becoming unpleasant if we ever get him

D

Deleted member

The Fire Emblem fans are an interesting case, I'm one of them but definetly not as hardcore of a fan as them I'm happy Byleth is in now. Though not the best pick.

He looks fun and I hope everyone enjoys playing as him Tuesday.

But people that didn't want the character or don't agree with it.

Saying hoes mad a thousand times. Ain't the right way to go about things. Still I get it their happy so be it.

Just hope Bandana Dee is in someday!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Best case scenario, this is an "opposite of FP1." By that, I mean FP1 had two 1st party characters (Plant, Byleth), and four 3rd party characters. What if instead for FP2 we get the opposite? Two 3rd party characters, four 1st party characters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Best case scenario, this is an "opposite of FP1." By that, I mean FP1 had two 1st party characters (Plant, Byleth), and four 3rd party characters. What if instead for FP2 we get the opposite? Two 3rd party characters, four 1st party characters.
Plant wasn't part of the Fighter Pass, so if anything it would be five first-party and one third-party.

Top Bottom