• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, I heavily expect Crash to be "PlayStation"'s character, since he's still associated with them, even though he's kinda on every console now.
Sony's even using him on their current set of Double Decker ads in the UK.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
What exactly would be the basis for a Playstation character being #5? Is it really just that Japanese company tournament thing?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hey listen, on the bright side, if
the rumors are true and we DO get a Playstation character, Kratos or someone from Assassin's Creed would be really cool.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What exactly would be the basis for a Playstation character being #5? Is it really just that Japanese company tournament thing?
That plus Banjo plus the fact that Cloud and Joker are already in. What we thought were the rules died long ago. We should have seen it coming when 3rd party character numero uno was Solid Freaking Snake.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
That plus Banjo plus the fact that Cloud and Joker are already in. What we thought were the rules died long ago. We should have seen it coming when 3rd party character numero uno was Solid Freaking Snake.
To be fair, the original Metal Gear games and Twin Snakes were on Nintendo consoles. Snake in Smash was unexpected, but not really like "THERE'S NO RULES CONCERNING 3RD PARTIES!". I think Cloud was that moment.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair, the original Metal Gear games and Twin Snakes were on Nintendo consoles. Snake in Smash was unexpected, but not really like "THERE'S NO RULES CONCERNING 3RD PARTIES!". I think Cloud was that moment.
Cloud was "NO RULES"
Joker was "Did I stutter?"

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
for me it was

cloud "not my favourite but ill take it"
joker "at this point youve lost the element of surprise"
I agree with that. With Cloud, nobody knew what the rules are and how DLC was gonna work. As soon as the November 1st direct happened, I knew basically all of my Nintendo picks were deconfirmed, even without being a spirit/assist trophy. Joker himself was a fun surprise for me (mostly because he wasn't leaked and it was one of the few times the reveal wasn't tied to a Direct of any kind), but everyone was expecting a 100% 3rd party pass. Joker's appearance and Reggie's words about him basically confirmed those expectations. The picks after (except :ultbanjokazooie:) felt kinda boring, with little variety in terms of the characters themselves. Before the leaks and theories and deconfirmations, (nearly) anyone was on the table, and that made speculation fun. Having a general idea of who to expect (3rd party, no prior appearance, probably male, probably human, etc.) with your own favorites being deconfirmed makes it less fun to speculate on who's next, because it's almost guaranteed to be someone you've barely heard of (if at all) and/or don't care about. If you disagree with me on one or multiple of those picks, that's fine, but you can't deny that, even ignoring him being deconfirmed by spirit (if you even believe that deconfirms), the direction of DLC is not good for Bandana Dee, because it's almost like the "3rd party rules" reversed onto themselves into "Nintendo rules", and as I said, it basically makes great picks into "bottom of the barrel", as some people say, with Bandana Dee being no exception.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
VGA's approaching. Curious to see if anything will amount from it. Not expecting Dee to be fighter 5, but, with more DLC on the way afterward, perhaps a bonus character to start wave 2? Maybe? Please?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
VGA's approaching. Curious to see if anything will amount from it. Not expecting Dee to be fighter 5, but, with more DLC on the way afterward, perhaps a bonus character to start wave 2? Maybe? Please?
Probably one of the likeliest Spirit promotions, so if those happen...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If I've said it before, I'll say it again. Bandana Waddle Dee and/or Dixie Kong should have been Smash Ultimate's pre-order DLC bonus character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't expect a Spirit promotion for FP5. I would expect that more in the next fighters' pass. I think we should greet FP5 with an open mind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That his body is ready?
Ah, yes, the infamous line that has haunted E3 for over a decade.

Personally, I think he may be up there just to introduce a game or to give some generic "thank you" to the audience. That, or there's something major that he's going to announce. 2 days.....

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
That is unless they're still doing third party characters only, and only third parties are promoted. I suppose Geno and Shantae would probably have the higher chances then.

If I've said it before, I'll say it again. Bandana Waddle Dee and/or Dixie Kong should have been Smash Ultimate's pre-order DLC bonus character.
I agree. Plant is fun in concept, but it's hard to connect with the character when it's a no name random plant.

In regards to the Reggie being there. It is peculiar considering he's retired. It could be Mother 3, but this late into the year, I'm not sure I'll hold out hope for it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So I meant to come in here and do this a long time ago, but never got around to it. I was the one who started the whole "hat goomba" thing, and I'm sorry for it. To be fair, people say it out of context. I was asking how Bandana Waddle Dee is different from if, instead of adding Rosalina in mario 3d world, they gave a goomba a hat and the fire flower ability and called it hat goomba. I wasn't trying to detract, I was trying to understand what it is about him that makes him more than just a waddle dee with a bandana and the spear copy ability. Then people laughed so hard at the name hat goomba and started spreading that without context. I never meant to cause what I know has been a really annoying argument for a lot of you. I don't support the character, but I feel genuinely bad that some see him as just a meme now and you've had to deal with a lot of idiots because of it, and it's my fault. So I'm sorry.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I meant to come in here and do this a long time ago, but never got around to it. I was the one who started the whole "hat goomba" thing, and I'm sorry for it. To be fair, people say it out of context. I was asking how Bandana Waddle Dee is different from if, instead of adding Rosalina in mario 3d world, they gave a goomba a hat and the fire flower ability and called it hat goomba. I wasn't trying to detract, I was trying to understand what it is about him that makes him more than just a waddle dee with a bandana and the spear copy ability. Then people laughed so hard at the name hat goomba and started spreading that without context. I never meant to cause what I know has been a really annoying argument for a lot of you. I don't support the character, but I feel genuinely bad that some see him as just a meme now and you've had to deal with a lot of idiots because of it, and it's my fault. So I'm sorry.
Well, I don't mean to speak on behalf of everyone, but apology accepted. Must be rough to feel like the source of something so spiteful, when your intentions were anything but.

By the way, did you ever get an answer to that question? Because if you didn't, you're in the perfect place.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you were? huh i thought it was just one of those things that didnt have an actual source. well i will hold you no ill will

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well, I don't mean to speak on behalf of everyone, but apology accepted. Must be rough to feel like the source of something so spiteful, when your intentions were anything but.

By the way, did you ever get an answer to that question? Because if you didn't, you're in the perfect place.
Actually I never did get an answer. Would you be willing to explain?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
careful thats a question everyone here is gonna answer

the difference is, is that bandana has become an established character of his own, with his own relationships with kirby and co, his own personality (or as much of one as you can have in a largely no dialogue series)

i leave it to the others to go in to more details

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, the thing is, while at first glance Bandana Dee might appear to be just a regular old Waddle Dee with a bandana slapped on and a spear, the truth is he has differentiated himself a ton, and has his own personality. He's docile, friendly, yet also something of a strong proud warrior type. Hell, he's actually drifted away from Dedede and towards being Kirby's friend (though it depends on the game), so I'd say he doesn't even qualify as an elite look to represent his species - he's just an individualized member of it.

Plus, he's become the de facto player 4 character in Kirby games, and with that came a clear distinction made by devs - he's clearly referred to as Bandana Waddle Dee or just Bandana Dee in games, and spoken about just like any individual, with him being defined not by his species but by his self.

I think the more apt comparison to Bandana Dee would be Captain Toad: both share certain common facets with their fellow Toads/Dees, but they also have distinguishing features, physically and personality-wise. The key difference is that Bandana Dee is much more important to his series.

I hope this covers everything, though I'm sure the nice people in this thread can go into more depth.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the more apt comparison to Bandana Dee would be Captain Toad: both share certain common facets with their fellow Toads/Dees, but they also have distinguishing features, physically and personality-wise. The key difference is that Bandana Dee is much more important to his series.
hey no digs at the toads

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
hey no digs at the toads
No digs at all, huge supporter for both regular and Captain Toad. But Bandana Dee is more important to the Kirby series than Captain Toad is to Mario. I wish Captain Toad could make more appearances, but having a spin-off is also great.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well, the thing is, while at first glance Bandana Dee might appear to be just a regular old Waddle Dee with a bandana slapped on and a spear, the truth is he has differentiated himself a ton, and has his own personality. He's docile, friendly, yet also something of a strong proud warrior type. Hell, he's actually drifted away from Dedede and towards being Kirby's friend (though it depends on the game), so I'd say he doesn't even qualify as an elite look to represent his species - he's just an individualized member of it.

Plus, he's become the de facto player 4 character in Kirby games, and with that came a clear distinction made by devs - he's clearly referred to as Bandana Waddle Dee or just Bandana Dee in games, and spoken about just like any individual, with him being defined not by his species but by his self.

I hope this covers everything, though I'm sure the nice people in this thread can go into more depth.
The Captain Toad comparison really helped me understand better. I think I can appreciate Dee a lot more now. I wish someone had put it like this before.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No digs at all, huge supporter for both regular and Captain Toad. But Bandana Dee is more important to the Kirby series than Captain Toad is to Mario. I wish Captain Toad could make more appearances, but having a spin-off is also great.
alright ill let you off this time, im used to referring to toad and cap toad at the same time

Wait...so...Captain Toad and the Toad are different people? I thought they were one guy...
they were meant to be at first

Everyone thought that for awhile. I think it was mentioned in an interview that they were seperate characters.
well its mostly due to 3d world

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
alright ill let you off this time, im used to referring to toad and cap toad at the same time

they were meant to be at first

well its mostly due to 3d world
That, and Mario Maker's default toad costume has any toad that rescues you call you captain.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hmm, so the VGAs turned out to be nothing. Anyone have any thoughts on the VGAs if ya saw them?
Disappointing and a waste of time, at least for me. There were only a handfll of announcements that interested me. No Halo Infinite, no BotW2, no Smash. The host kept saying "Reggie's in the house!" every time they went to commercial breaks, but Reggie was only there to give a speech on the importance of Indie games (which was a good speech).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Disappointing and a waste of time, at least for me. There were only a handfll of announcements that interested me. No Halo Infinite, no BotW2, no Smash. The host kept saying "Reggie's in the house!" every time they went to commercial breaks, but Reggie was only there to give a speech on the importance of Indie games (which was a good speech).
To be fair he’s retired now he’s probably not in the loop as much

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hmm, so the VGAs turned out to be nothing. Anyone have any thoughts on the VGAs if ya saw them?
There were only three games that I was interested in - Ori and the Will of the Wisps, No More Heroes 3, and The Wolf Among Us 2.

It was pretty cool that the Game Awards was the place where both Sony and Microsoft properly announced their next consoles, but I'm not overly interested in consoles on their own. I mainly care about exclusives, and while Microsoft has a lot of exclusives that I'm theoretically interested in, they never actually do anything with them, and seem to focus almost entirely on Halo, Forza, and Gears of War. (I like the Halo and Gears games that I've played, but not enough to buy an entire console just for them)

Top Bottom