• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As far as Waluigi goes his lack of a canon appearance in any game puts him a step down form Toad IMO. The Toads have ben in Mario games since day 1. I'm not saying Waluigi isn't important, just I think Toad has a greater legacy going for him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They're both very well known Mario characters, which in itself puts them on another level compared to pretty much any other Nintendo character. Considering his popularity, I wouldn't say Waluigi is as far away from Toad's level as you're implying.
Waluigi is a tons more popular than Toad, but he is nowhere near as important and iconic as Toad.

Toad has been in all the mainline Mario games and is a notable member of the cast.

Waluigi on the other hand has never once been in any of the mainline Mario games and is only backed up by people because of his popularity. I have nothing against Waluigi, but to say he is a important member of the main Mario cast? No. But after Toad, I would say he is next in line in terms of the Mario characters that deserves to get into Smash.

Popularity isn't always everything and sometimes nether is legacy. But out of the two, legacy should came first.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They're both very well known Mario characters, which in itself puts them on another level compared to pretty much any other Nintendo character. Considering his popularity, I wouldn't say Waluigi is as far away from Toad's level as you're implying.
i know i know, im just a little too used to having to defend toad

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
On a different topic, have there been any online polls recently (aside from the Source Gaming one) that Dee scored well in? I want to start keeping track.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
On a different topic, have there been any online polls recently (aside from the Source Gaming one) that Dee scored well in? I want to start keeping track.
Haven't actually been following polls. They're hard put much stock into considering there's bias no matter where you go.

On another note, to start some conversation, do you all think that all Waddle Dee are capable of reaching the power and skill that Bandana Dee has reached, or is he special? There is Parasol Waddle Dee the helper...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
On another note, to start some conversation, do you all think that all Waddle Dee are capable of reaching the power and skill that Bandana Dee has reached, or is he special? There is Parasol Waddle Dee the helper...
You know, on some occasions... I've wondered that myself, and I've also taken Parasol Waddle Dee into account too...

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Haven't actually been following polls. They're hard put much stock into considering there's bias no matter where you go.

I feel like Parasol Waddle Dee doesn't really count? I mean, all the helpers are kind of in a similar situation to the Toad or the Yoshi. Plus is Parasol Waddle Dee even strong? He's...okay.

P47

Smash Apprentice
I feel like they absolutely are but what separates Bandee is his drive to be on the same level as Kirby, DDD, and MK. He's one of a kind in that regard when it comes to the usually carefree Dees.
Also I don't think any of the helpers are on the level of the main quartet (or any of the Dream Friends) in canon

Last edited:

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet

I think they could be, but do to their nature I think they will never try to be.

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
What do y'all think of my updated Bandana dee move-set

^B - Waddle copter
B - spear throw/barrage(air)/triple
>B - beam wand/wave/blast(air)
\/B - element boost
Dash - Parsol drill
\/tilt - slide kick
tilts - fast thrust
\/smash - windmill
>smash - less mobile ground thrust
^smash - super long skyward thrust (but works like staff)
Nair - forword windmill (like smash flash but with a faster spin/multi hit)
Fair - Gale Thrust
dair - moon drop
bair - Unrelenting Spear(Unrelenting Staff)
up air - skyward thrust
grab - skewers his spear inside of the opponent(like beetle) and can walk around
pumble - smashes them on the ground like a hammer.
\/throw - megaton punch
^throw - circus throw
<throw - spins and throws them off the spear (like hammer throw)
>throw - quick throw

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I feel like Parasol Waddle Dee doesn't really count? I mean, all the helpers are kind of in a similar situation to the Toad or the Yoshi. Plus is Parasol Waddle Dee even strong? He's...okay.
I feel like they absolutely are but what separates Bandee is his drive to be on the same level as Kirby, DDD, and MK. He's one of a kind in that regard when it comes to the usually carefree Dees.
Also I don't think any of the helpers are on the level of the main quartet (or any of the Dream Friends) in canon
I can't deny, he certainly has more of a drive than the rest of the Waddle Dee will ever have. Though I would count Parasol Dee, I mean, in Star Allies he's able to take down the final boss just as anyone can.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Smash bros you need to get in here NOW

-links removed-
This guy literally just joined smashboards and started spamming this in multiple threads, I wouldn't join that … at all

Edit: He got banned, lol (in case you no longer see his post)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think they could be, but do to their nature I think they will never try to be.
I can't deny, he certainly has more of a drive than the rest of the Waddle Dee will ever have. Though I would count Parasol Dee, I mean, in Star Allies he's able to take down the final boss just as anyone can.
Yeah, that might be what makes B.W.D. so different from his Waddle Dee brethren (The actual DRIVE to be strong).

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Where do you guys think Bandana Dee's chances stand at this moment?
0.01%. Sounds crazy low, I know, but there are quite a few factors going against him.

First, the emphasis is probably going to be on 3rd party characters, thanks to the President quote and Sakurai's "game worlds" quote. I'd say there's about a 20% chance that we get another Nintendo character for DLC (likely being from a new franchise like Astral Chain or Dragalia Lost).

As a result, I'm 95% sure spirits deconfirm, since if they didn't, we'd have at least seen 1 Nintendo character (Plant doesn't count, since he was meant for Base Game)

And then Bandana Dee himself. He's Modern Kirby, which means his chances are already very bad. Without Spirits and 3rd party emphasis, I'd have given him a 1% chance, and that's basically his chances given spirits don't deconfirm and we can still get Nintendo.

20% that we get Nintendo * 5% Spirits don't deconfirm * 1% Bandana Dee is the next pick among Nintendo = .01%

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Until they say they're only doing third-party DLC, Dee's chances can't be that low. Keep in mind Sakurai said he wanted to satisfy the fans, and Dee is definitely one of the characters who would do that. Not only that, but his "game worlds" comment has an ambiguous translation.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Where do you guys think Bandana Dee's chances stand at this moment?
Caustically optimistic, I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and assume everything will be third-party again.

I know we've been hurt many times in the past, but it would strike me as odd for Sakurai to say "Let's add as many fighters as we could cause as long as every addition pleases someone it'll be worth it" only to completely ignore Nintendo characters again.

Some of us don't seem to have faith him, but I'm willing to believe if first-parties are on the table again he'd be able to put his biases and the "No spirits rule" (which I don't think really matters anymore) aside if he truely cared about pleasing a good portion of the fanbase.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Caustically optimistic, I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and assume everything will be third-party again.

I know we've been hurt many times in the past, but it would strike me as odd for Sakurai to say "Let's add as many fighters as we could cause as long as every addition pleases someone it'll be worth it" only to completely ignore Nintendo characters again.

Some of us don't seem to have faith him, but I'm willing to believe if first-parties are on the table again he'd be able to put his biases and the "No spirits rule" (which I don't think really matters anymore) aside if he truly cared about pleasing a good portion of the fanbase.
This is EXACTLY how I currently feel about B.W.D.'s (as well as all other first-parties) situation right now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I'll just leave this here.

The DQ livestream is very interesting. So much behind the scene things from Sakurai.
Just Hero bit here. I don't want to translate all but you should be looking forward for full-translation from PushDustIn.
Demands for DQ was always there but Sakurai thought it was just impossible however Nintendo said to him this time may be they can make it happen.
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero. Hero was first only had 11 and 3 skins but Horii gave him go for the others. Sakurai really wanted DQ3 hero and he had intention to create 8 different Heroes but he couldn't do it because of time constraints. The image of DQ1 hero is too varied and DQ5 protagonist is not a sword-wielder so they went with DQ4 hero instead. DQ8 protagonist was for overseas.
The concept of Hero was to represent the big-hearted, easygoing and generous feelings that DQ has. He knows that competitive players tend to dislike randomness but Smash is always meant to be a loose game.
The only reason Slime got passed over was because the main character took priority in the end. Feels good to know that enemies remain on the table.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Here I'm hoping he gets announced for the 2nd wave of characters. HAL should have at least talk to Mr. Sakurai and the team for wave 2. I'm kind of reluctantly it give a definitive answer on what I think now. Though if I had to say, BWD would get new moves just to keep it fresh.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If their goal is to please as many fans as possible then at one point they're going to realize that only doing third parties overlooks as lot of fanbases. Hopefully that means they'll consider a new first party and maybe even a Kirby newcomer but I'm not overly optimistic.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
One hour left losing to rayman.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who wins</p>&mdash; ノポン Digi (@NoponDigi) <a href="https://twitter.com/NoponDigi/status/1177550067424800769?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">September 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Aaaand we lost. We're not in a good spot, TBH. Only the most highly or least highly requested characters really have a chance of getting in. Anyone near the middle gets turned into a Spirit, Mii Costume or AT on the spot. Losing in Semis is not good at all.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
For the occasion of the pool between Bandana Dee and Rayman, I made this to show to everyone the bestest of options!
RRayman Dee !.png
It was doodled quickly (20 minutes), so forvgive me for the imperfections !

D

Deleted member

I still think he has a good chance not sure how much but still a really good chance.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Tbh I'm more worried about Dee than any of my other most wanteds because of the Sakurai factor and how little modern Kirby has in Smash (not enough music, no remixes, no stage, missing spirits of main characters, etc)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Aaaand we lost. We're not in a good spot, TBH. Only the most highly or least highly requested characters really have a chance of getting in. Anyone near the middle gets turned into a Spirit, Mii Costume or AT on the spot. Losing in Semis is not good at all.
Meh, for a first party to even make it to semi finals, that's really good. You have to consider that we're living in an era that people only want to focus on third parties for some reason. That could be the reason why the pass is going full power on third party characters rather than Nintendo's own.

Tbh I'm more worried about Dee than any of my other most wanteds because of the Sakurai factor and how little modern Kirby has in Smash (not enough music, no remixes, no stage, missing spirits of main characters, etc)
To be honest, I'm in a similar boat myself. I do think that this announcement for later DLC aside from the pass is exceptionally good news for us, but at the same time, it really would appear Sakurai is done with first parties. I mean, just look at Piranha Plant, out of all the first parties left; Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee (the list goes on), Sakurai decided that Piranha Plant was the next necessary first party character. That doesn't really bode well for us I'm afraid. Still, where there's DLC, there's always a chance, so don't 100% give up yet.

Top Bottom