• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well, I did say "may not mean much". Not that I really think anything matters beyond the ballot itself.

As an example of unbiased fan polls, this one was brought to my attention not long ago.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/

No guesses as to who made it near 1st position.
I'm not sure what I'm happier about

Bandana Dee, my most wanted, getting second (now first technically since Banjo is already in)

Or Master Chief, my second most wanted, getting tenth--a huge surprise if I do say so myself.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The poll shouldn't be taken seriously, like at all. It's pathetically tiny sample size and isn't accurate about the country they're from.

Just look up PushDustin account, he has a good reason why there

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Welp. Looks like the dream's dead. Again. To be fair, even if they did do 1st parties, we'd still have to get around Sakurai bias.

Edit: Real shame that we couldn't even go a week thinking that we MIGHT not be less likely than Shrek and Goku.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Welp. Looks like the dream's dead. Again. To be fair, even if they did do 1st parties, we'd still have to get around Sakurai bias.

Edit: Real shame that we couldn't even go a week thinking that we MIGHT not be less likely than Shrek and Goku.
Bruh what are you talking about? How does this quote suddenly deconfirm the Dee? Just because Smash Ultimate is a way to discover new characters, doesn’t mean that first parties are disqualified. Isabelle is the staple of Animal Crossing and was added after Villager. (Maybe not staple, but the consumers who knew about Animal Crossing from villager surely already knew about Isabelle.) The quote you provided, even if it’s from the president of Nintendo, has absolutely, positively no effect on the likelihood of Bandana Dee, much less killed the chances. The developers still want to give us the best experience possible with this game, which is why King K. Fool and Banjo Kazooie are in.

Quick sidetrack: how exactly is including Banjo Kazooie in Ultimate a good deal for the Banjo Kazooie series? It isn’t. Microsoft will not be making Banjo Threeie, so it isn’t “introducing the players to new series”. The real reason: everybody loves Banjo already. Microsoft is getting paid a portion for all of Banjo’s downloads (don’t quote me there), which is not used to further the Banjo series, but for other ambitions. Sure, Hero and Joker introduce players to the DQ11 and P5R, but it isn’t a commandment that all characters need to further an agenda.

Who said that “every” single representative had to be from a new series to “introduce to Smash Bros fans?” Nobody. And that isn’t even the case, as thus proven. The developers, more than anything, want us to fully enjoy Smash Ultimate. And if they see fit, they are allowed to add in a first party, or Bandana Dee if luck is on our side.

TL;DR: in the nicest way possible, your quote means nothing to me. No official deconfirmations; just restating the purpose of the Fighter Pass, which we have already deduced for quite some time.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Not to be pessimistic, but I kinda do feel the rest of smash dlc will be 3rd party reps, or the few 1st parties that don't have significant spirits in WoL or the board have a decent chance. You gotta admit, a regular waddle "evolving" into Bandana Dee is a heavy blow. One thing to notice though: Morpho Knight has no presence whatsoever in Smash. Technically, it would basically be beta Meta Knight, but don't you think it's kinda weird how it would've been incredibly easy to do a spirit battle with him and the fire bar sword? It probably means nothing.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The article has Sakurai say he wants to keep adding characters for as long as possible, so we'll get our chance eventually.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The article has Sakurai say he wants to keep adding characters for as long as possible, so we'll get our chance eventually.
Let's hope. TBH, I'm fine with Smash adding 3rd parties, but I'm more saddened about the possibility of most Major (apparently people are taking the word major too seriously, so I'm just gonna say important enough to warrant a slot) Nintendo characters getting snubbed; especially Bandana Dee. I get the scope has went to "gaming as a whole" but I don't want to lose what made Smash Bros Smash Bros in the first place. I think there should be a balance to make it (in terms of newcomers) more of a "Nintendo and Gaming All-Stars" sort of thing rather than just one or the other.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Let's hope. TBH, I'm fine with Smash adding 3rd parties, but I'm more saddened about the possibility of most Major Nintendo characters getting snubbed; especially Bandana Dee. I get the scope has went to "gaming as a whole" but I don't want to lose what made Smash Bros Smash Bros in the first place. I think there should be a balance to make it (in terms of newcomers) more of a "Nintendo and Gaming All-Stars" sort of thing rather than just one or the other.
Most major Nintendo characters have made it in, though. There are a few odd exceptions, like (Captain) Toad, Dixie Kong, or to some extent Bandanna Dee (not a comprehensive list by any means), but aside from that, most of the remaining ones seem to be from franchises that either haven't had games in a decade or more (such as Isaac) or came from games that were too new and untested to make it in as a playable character (like anyone from ARMS).

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Most major Nintendo characters have made it in, though. There are a few odd exceptions, like (Captain) Toad, Dixie Kong, or to some extent Bandanna Dee (not a comprehensive list by any means), but aside from that, most of the remaining ones seem to be from franchises that either haven't had games in a decade or more (such as Isaac) or came from games that were too new and untested to make it in as a playable character (like anyone from ARMS).
I find it very weird that ARMS was given the assist/mii treatment. It wasn't out by the time Ultimate was in development, and we can probably assume that ARMS was nearly complete. Honestly? I expected Spring Man to get in, Spring Tron as an echo, and maybe Mechanica as an assist. The franchise didn't even get a song. Not to diss the costumes, which are actually decent looking, but it just feels wrong to not promote a new series with a fighter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I find it very weird that ARMS was given the assist/mii treatment. It wasn't out by the time Ultimate was in development, and we can probably assume that ARMS was nearly complete. Honestly? I expected Spring Man to get in, Spring Tron as an echo, and maybe Mechanica as an assist. The franchise didn't even get a song. Not to diss the costumes, which are actually decent looking, but it just feels wrong to not promote a new series with a fighter.
We didn't get Inklings in Smash 4, even as DLC (aside from a Mii costume and a trophy). I'm guessing that they don't want to be too hasty with adding new franchises, especially if those games wind up selling terribly.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
We didn't get Inklings in Smash 4, even as DLC (aside from a Mii costume and a trophy). I'm guessing that they don't want to be too hasty with adding new franchises, especially if those games wind up selling terribly.
True. Still, it doesn't sit right that the only other boxing game nintendo has made didn't get a fighter. I mean, nobody from that game would end up like Little Mac, since they have superpowers.

(Also weird that Ultimate is the first time BWD was acknowledged, even though people have wanted him since the smash ballot, and maybe even before that)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People say "major" Nintendo character as if it's some incredibly strict term that only applies to a few characters. If Smash only consisted of "major" Nintendo characters than a good third or more of the roster would be gone. And their are plenty of "non-major" Ninendo characters who have huge amounts of support to get them in Smash, Geno being the most obvious.

I say this because there are loads of Nintendo characters who are perfectly capable of being in Smash and aren't "major" in a sense compared to others. So it's not like if we were to hit Dee, Dixie Kong and C. Toad would there suddenly be no first party characters left to add.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
People say "major" Nintendo character as if it's some incredibly strict term that only applies to a few characters. If Smash only consisted of "major" Nintendo characters than a good third or more of the roster would be gone. And their are plenty of "non-major" Ninendo characters who have huge amounts of support to get them in Smash, Geno being the most obvious.

I say this because there are loads of Nintendo characters who are perfectly capable of being in Smash and aren't "major" in a sense compared to others. So it's not like if we were to hit Dee, Dixie Kong and C. Toad would there suddenly be no first party characters left to add.
I wasn't sure how to say it, but pretty much this. There is a TON of 1st & 2nd Parties you could add without going stale, like Bandana Dee (obviously), Dixie Kong, Toad/Captain Toad, ARMS (like you said), Waluigi and other ATs for the Ultimate Fake-out (obviously they're not getting in, but you get the point), Octoling, Rex/Pyra/Mythra, Paper Mario, Euden (while not too popular, Dragalia Lost is a very decent moneymaker for Nintendo), a Splatoon Idol Duo (Splatoon's an important franchise, and both Squid Sisters (albeit an AT) and Off the Hook are important duos in the Splatoon universe, both game-wise and lore-wise, so IMO it'd make sense), Pauline (if she starts appearing in more games to get to around Rosalina's level), Impa, Isaac (AT), Rythym Heaven Reps, a WarioWare rep, a Wario Land rep, Viridi (if Kid Icarus gets a revival), and more.

Assume the WoL datamine theory's correct (regardless of whether or not you actually think it's correct), and there's 10 remaining fighters (not counting Fighter Pass Challenger #5). Let's split Nintendo and 3rd evenly and give them 5 each of the remaining 10. I think they could come up with 5 Nintendo fighters while still making the DLC overall feel varied in the 3rd party department.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
It's not that I think Nintendo would skip their own franchises for the sake of third parties. I personally don't get how some of the highest requested characters that are 1st or 2nd party are still assists and spirits. I see a lot of arguments as to why spirits don't deconfirm, but those characters are spirits for some reason or another...

However, I really don't think Smash will revisit certain franchises (Mario, Pokemon) without the new fighter being a spinoff or something. Like it still feels like Paper Mario can happen, but I don't see Pauline getting in.

There's also echo fighters, which seemingly got a new term, but very few echoes. I kinda expected a TTT2 amount of echo fighters, because Damus and Daisy hardly deviate from their original fighters. Doctor Mario and Pichu (not really echoes, but semi-clones that require a little less work since they're still use a decent amount of another fighters data) do something similar. [Gooigi?]

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I think I'll expand by guessing which fighter "non-major" applies to.

If Smash were to only consist of major characters
:ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultike::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultgnw::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:
probably wouldn't be in the game. Give or take.

So when people say "there are no more major first party characters left, there's no one exciting left," they mea "there's no one exciting TO ME left." It's annoying how little people appreciate the "non-major" characters in Smash.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

:ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultike::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultgnw::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:

So when people say "there are no more major first party characters left, there's no one exciting left," they mea "there's no one exciting TO ME left." It's annoying how little people appreciate the "non-major" characters in Smash.
Pretty much. When I said "Major Nintendo characters" I meant ones that would make sense to add as a fighter and not tip-top importance characters only like most of the people who responded said. Did I misword? Probably, so now I'm clarifying.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd at the very least consider Greninja, Lucario, Palutena, and the Awakening trio major as well (maybe even Rosalina too), especially if you're including folks like Falco, Wolf, and Meta Knight as major characters.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Tbh I think it's just basic human nature to want to be always right even when the evidence is against you. What I say is just enjoy what you want to enjoy. No sense in to staying in the negative.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd at the very least consider Greninja, Lucario, Palutena, and the Awakening trio major as well (maybe even Rosalina too), especially if you're including folks like Falco, Wolf, and Meta Knight as major characters.
I see your logic, but Falco, Wolf, and MK have been a part of their series far longer than Greninja, Rosa, or the Awakening Trio. People use the term "major" really conservatively, usually as an argument to say that characters like Waluigi or Skull Kid should be excluded form the roster. So while I agree wholeheartedly that said characters are all important to their respective series, my purpose of putting them in that list was to point out others' hypocrisy.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Hey there! Haven't posted in a long time, and I'm not sure if I'm on the support list, but if not, add me to it!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I see your logic, but Falco, Wolf, and MK have been a part of their series far longer than Greninja, Rosa, or the Awakening Trio. People use the term "major" really conservatively, usually as an argument to say that characters like Waluigi or Skull Kid should be excluded form the roster. So while I agree wholeheartedly that said characters are all important to their respective series, my purpose of putting them in that list was to point out others' hypocrisy.
well a lot of it is subjective really, so i wouldnt say is so much hypocrisy as much as difference of opinion

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
I'm just kinda sitting here with some light hopes but really guys, let's just sit back and have fun.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Here's a funny little conspiracy that'd work in our favor (I didn't come up with this). The first letter of each FP character's company almost spells out SMASH. Don't take it to heart for obvious reasons.

SNK
Microsoft
Atlus
Square Enix
H(AL)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Most people get competitive about wanting a one off character from the 90s or the next random indie character, so it's most likely not gonna happen that way. Lets hope though.
Most people get competitive, period. It doesn't matter who they want, pretty much everyone is willing to fight and debate why their most wanted is the most deserving to be in Smash.

Edit: I should add that no matter what happens there will be at least one person who compares their most wanted to Dee, so we should always be on the Deefensive.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I did say "may not mean much". Not that I really think anything matters beyond the ballot itself.

As an example of unbiased fan polls, this one was brought to my attention not long ago.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/

No guesses as to who made it near 1st position.
I've known about this for awhile.

While I may not post here often...

Bandana Dee is totally in after the Fighter Pass!! Let's goooo!!!
That's only if we get anymore Nintendo characters in the DeeLC lineup. If all 3rd party? RIP Bandana Waddle Dee for Ultimate.

And Waluigi, you can't forget about Waluigi. He is definitely a Nintendo All Star.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Most people get competitive, period. It doesn't matter who they want, pretty much everyone is willing to fight and debate why their most wanted is the most deserving to be in Smash.

Edit: I should add that no matter what happens there will be at least one person who compares their most wanted to Dee, so we should always be on the Deefensive.
I will say, some characters get so little support until confirmation that their fanbases aren't noticed enough to get to even be on the defensive. This can lead to them not being prepared in the slightest (see: Terry's fanbase).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
weeeeeeeeell, i guess but there are bigger still mia for smash
Honestly who though? Outside of maybe Toad I can't think of a single Nintendo character who would be a bigger deal, and even Toad is more of an equal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
toad has done way more than waluigi, he is not on toads level
They're both very well known Mario characters, which in itself puts them on another level compared to pretty much any other Nintendo character. Considering his popularity, I wouldn't say Waluigi is as far away from Toad's level as you're implying.

Top Bottom