• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Troykv

Smash Master
Yo, that's actually really good. I really hope future games use the apple collect song for BandDee's main theme. Just imagine our boy making it to smash and they use a rock cover of apple collect in his trailer.
That would be cool, that is the closest thing to a Bandana Dee Theme we have so far.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This. I could write an essay on why spirits do deconfirm no matter how much you want to believe they don't. Every argument for why they don't has a good counterargument, like...

Trophies didn't have a role in battle. Spirits do, since you equip them (and they represent the souls of those who were killed by Galeem and never got a chance to come back). Also, Mewtwo and Lucas were veterans, which seems to be the exception to the deconfirmation rule, since Samus, DK and Toon Link still made it in to Ultimate, Brawl and Smash 4, despite having a non-fighter role. No newcomer ever did that besides Chrom (who was last minute and I explain why we know that after the next quote).

And all of those characters that can be equipped by themselves are either alternate versions or actually something else. Tree isn't Wii Fit Trainer. It's a manifestation of the pose. Plessie isn't Mario, but only shows him because there were no preexisting renders of Plessie. Kaptain K. Rool and Yarn Yoshi are treated separately. It's like how Dr. Mario and Young Link are treated separately from Mario and Link. Only difference is Dr. Mario and Young Link got in while Kaptain K. Rool and Yarn Yoshi got deconfirmed.

Chrom is a last-minute addition, as shown by how he only got the Awakening Victory theme in the 3.0 Update. Before then, he has the standard FE Victory Theme. If they didn't even get to change the victory theme in time for launch, they wouldn't have time to Change Robin's Final Smash to something that didn't have Chrom.
There's no hard evidence that Chrom was a last minute addition. The victory theme edit was likely fully intentional. They wouldn't have waited until 3.0 to change if they did it out of error.

If anything more things point to it being something people requested a lot even if it wasn't the original plan. And even if it was a mistake...it's not even the worst one. Wolf randomly goes into his Brawl stance when using certain items.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Something tells me that was intentional but I don't know why. It just doesn't make sense that the developers would recycle 11 year old animations and keep them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
bit of an odd question but anyone know if the name bandana waddle dee has been picked up in japan like it has in the west?

11th

Smash Apprentice
bit of an odd question but anyone know if the name bandana waddle dee has been picked up in japan like it has in the west?
You mean with fans, right? I tend to see "Bandana Waddle Dee" and number of diminutive forms such as "Banwado", "Bandana Wado", "Bandan", etc. "Waddle Dee" alone seems somewhat rare for him, but it's tough to be sure because it also picks up results for Waddle Dees as a whole and I'm not patient enough to sort through them.

I don't know much Japanese, so it's possible that I've been missing something, but it seems pretty safe to say that it has caught on.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Bandana Waddle Dee is an english term and makes him sound like a generic enemy with a hat, but I think in Japan he has a real name (can't remember though. It might have been something like "bandee" IIRC).

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
There's no hard evidence that Chrom was a last minute addition. The victory theme edit was likely fully intentional. They wouldn't have waited until 3.0 to change if they did it out of error.

If anything more things point to it being something people requested a lot even if it wasn't the original plan. And even if it was a mistake...it's not even the worst one. Wolf randomly goes into his Brawl stance when using certain items.
Doubt that's a mistake. Every character that had a different idle in other smash games (Sheik and I think...somebody) else also do that. It seems they recreated the data for the older stance for some reason. Maybe a failsafe?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You mean with fans, right? I tend to see "Bandana Waddle Dee" and number of diminutive forms such as "Banwado", "Bandana Wado", "Bandan", etc. "Waddle Dee" alone seems somewhat rare for him, but it's tough to be sure because it also picks up results for Waddle Dees as a whole and I'm not patient enough to sort through them.

I don't know much Japanese, so it's possible that I've been missing something, but it seems pretty safe to say that it has caught on.
Bandana Waddle Dee is an english term and makes him sound like a generic enemy with a hat, but I think in Japan he has a real name (can't remember though. It might have been something like "bandee" IIRC).
yeah its a fan name but didnt they start using it in the actual games? i was wondering if this was in the japan version as well

11th

Smash Apprentice
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma : "Bandee/Bandy" was considered during RtDL's development, but they decided against it and it was never officially used.

fogbadge fogbadge : Oh. I'm pretty sure that HAL almost exclusively uses "Bandana Waddle Dee" for him now in both English and Japanese. The last intentional use of "Waddle Dee" that I can think of was in Rainbow Curse (2015).

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, I guess all this answers the question on his name. Plus, what with his spirit being 'Bandana Waddle Dee' as well, it's clear that his name as a playable character would be the same.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma : "Bandee/Bandy" was considered during RtDL's development, but they decided against it and it was never officially used.

fogbadge fogbadge : Oh. I'm pretty sure that HAL almost exclusively uses "Bandana Waddle Dee" for him now in both English and Japanese. The last intentional use of "Waddle Dee" that I can think of was in Rainbow Curse (2015).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9bPkyTGSs

It is. You can hear Bandy introduce himself in this video as Bandana Waddle Dee
thanks guys

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I almost think giving him the name "Bandana Waddle Dee" instead of an actual name is better. Although it makes him sound like a "hat goomba," it also means his name and his being characterize the Waddle Dee species better than anything else could.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
If this is worth anything I've seen Japanese supporters/ fans call him waddle-chan. Though this is straight from Google translator

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Ugh, it's gonna be a grueling week and a half waiting to see what games I want to pre-order

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Less than a month until Mario Maker 2 comes out and I'm super disappointed with some of it's features. Not that I'm not excited, but I really wish I could make use of a Waddle Dee amiibo in it.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Less than a month until Mario Maker 2 comes out and I'm super disappointed with some of it's features. Not that I'm not excited, but I really wish I could make use of a Waddle Dee amiibo in it.
Not to mention the online "features". The original DS had games with better online capability than SMM2. To me, there is no real explanation as to why I have to play with strangers exclusively online, nor is there an excuse for why I need multiple switches for local multiplayer. It really hurts my chances of getting the game, but I know Nintendo's gonna do that weird thing where features that should've been necessary at launch are randomly added in a update, like most of their current games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not to mention the online "features". The original DS had games with better online capability than SMM2. To me, there is no real explanation as to why I have to play with strangers exclusively online, nor is there an excuse for why I need multiple switches for local multiplayer. It really hurts my chances of getting the game, but I know Nintendo's gonna do that weird thing where features that should've been necessary at launch are randomly added in a update, like most of their current games.
they probably didnt think online features were as important in a game about making levels

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Seems like to me that Sakurai doesn't think very much of Bandana Dee.

The guy didn't even appear at all in Smash 4 and his only appearance in Ultimate is just as an upgrade for the regular Waddle Dee spirit...he didn't even get a dedicated spirit battle.

Most of the other fan favorites that didn't make it in like Isaac, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Geno, Shantae, etc were at least compensated with Assist Trophies, Mii Fighter outfits and notable spirit battles. Dee didn't even get that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Remember everyone that most of the newcomers in this game were ballot picks. Ballots from Source Gaming or Japanese websites don't necessarily reflect the whole of the community, only the official ballot got the best results. This either means that Bandana Dee wasn't as popular as Inkling, Ridley, etc., or that he was as popular as them and Sakurai simply decided to veto him. I'm betting on the former.

But with all of these popular characters BWD, as well as Geno, Isaac, etc., all have pretty good footing in terms of (and I hate to say it) "competition" for getting in Smash 6.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
what we have to remember is that sakurai probably has his own idea of how kirby i supposed to be and the kirby series has gone off in another direction without him and in smash he prefers to keep things the way he thinks they should be

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seems like to me that Sakurai doesn't think very much of Bandana Dee.

The guy didn't even appear at all in Smash 4 and his only appearance in Ultimate is just as an upgrade for the regular Waddle Dee spirit...he didn't even get a dedicated spirit battle.

Most of the other fan favorites that didn't make it in like Isaac, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Geno, Shantae, etc were at least compensated with Assist Trophies, Mii Fighter outfits and notable spirit battles. Dee didn't even get that.
Bandana Dee did get a spirit in Ultimate.

Remember everyone that most of the newcomers in this game were ballot picks. Ballots from Source Gaming or Japanese websites don't necessarily reflect the whole of the community, only the official ballot got the best results. This either means that Bandana Dee wasn't as popular as Inkling, Ridley, etc., or that he was as popular as them and Sakurai simply decided to veto him. I'm betting on the former.

But with all of these popular characters BWD, as well as Geno, Isaac, etc., all have pretty good footing in terms of (and I hate to say it) "competition" for getting in Smash 6.
Say what you will about Dee's chances, but I think he is a lock for Smash 6 especially if it's nothing but relevant characters like in Smash 4. Like you said, Dee probably didn't make the cut for Ultimate because he either didn't do as well as Bayonetta, K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmont bois in the Ballot, or he just wasn't high enough priority for Sakurai to add in this game due to how limited the newcomer selection was. But had Smash Switch been a normal Smash, Bandana Dee would have made it for sure.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Well, only a couple of more days till' some lucky ducks' seemingly impossible Smash Bros. wish actually comes true.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, only a couple of more days till' some lucky ducks' seemingly impossible Smash Bros. wish actually comes true.
Me: Genie! I make my 3rd wish! I wish to see Banjo & Kazooie in Smash!

Genie: Your wish is my commend.

If you're curious on who I wished for on my first 2 wishes, I wished them on :ultridley: and :ultkrool:.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think I've found out who B.W.D.'s VA was in that Kirby Battle Royale accolades trailer. According to the Japanese version of the Kirby Wiki, it was Ayaka Saito. She's had VA roles in things like Pretty Cure, Fruits Basket, and InuYasha.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
What're the chances we get a new Kirby game (spin-off or otherwise) announced during E3? I'd say pretty likely, considering Star Allies was shown off at E3 before it's official title was known or anything.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What're the chances we get a new Kirby game (spin-off or otherwise) announced during E3? I'd say pretty likely, considering Star Allies was shown off at E3 before it's official title was known or anything.
It's been 2 years since the last major Kirby announcement, I'm sure we're due for something new.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Maybe the animal buddies will be main characters? They are all I need. Oh and Amazing Mirror 2.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Maybe the animal buddies will be main characters? They are all I need. Oh and Amazing Mirror 2.
How about new animal friends? With some older ones returning? DK does it all the time with the ride animals, or at least they use too. I like Returns and Tropical Freeze, but I miss using over steeds than just Rambi.

Top Bottom