• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, to all those that follow Death Battle...

Our great king won, we can all rejoice.

Also, Bandana Dee wasn't present at all in the Death Battle, there were various Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo, but no Bandana Dee. Personally, I see this as a good thing. Death Battle doesn't tend to have a cameo of another character in the Death Battle, they tend to keep it between the two characters advertised. Bandana Dee's absence, to me, means Death Battle sees him as an actual character. Heck, the only time I remember seeing him was in a DBX, which does have a few more cameos than normal Death Battles. Anyone else care to jump in?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, to all those that follow Death Battle...

Our great king won, we can all rejoice.

Also, Bandana Dee wasn't present at all in the Death Battle, there were various Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo, but no Bandana Dee. Personally, I see this as a good thing. Death Battle doesn't tend to have a cameo of another character in the Death Battle, they tend to keep it between the two characters advertised. Bandana Dee's absence, to me, means Death Battle sees him as an actual character. Heck, the only time I remember seeing him was in a DBX, which does have a few more cameos than normal Death Battles. Anyone else care to jump in?
Bandana Dee vs Captain Toad confirmed?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
All memes aside, I get the feeling we're not getting any first-party characters as DLC for Ultimate, they're probably saving those for next Smash.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I really doubt they're holding back first-parties to save them for the next game. Ultimate and the Switch will both likely have quite a long lifespan, so I don't think anyone on the dev team even has a vision for the next Smash. It's likely all third-party because Nintendo thinks those are just more profitable.
If the fighter pass sells well and we're lucky, they might to an all first-party pass.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All memes aside, I get the feeling we're not getting any first-party characters as DLC for Ultimate, they're probably saving those for next Smash.
I'm willing to accept that possibility, but keep in mind also the possibility of a second wave of DLC fighters.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
At this point we have to wait till e3 for new info now. I am still holding some hope and say we do get a 2nd pass. But I am not holding my breath.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
So putting Smash aside for a moment, do you guys think Bandana Dee will get a costume in Mario Maker? Considering he's much more prominent then he was the last time Mario Maker came out

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So putting Smash aside for a moment, do you guys think Bandana Dee will get a costume in Mario Maker? Considering he's much more prominent then he was the last time Mario Maker came out
if theyre back id hope so, we got so many last time

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman

FancySmash

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/ssbunews/status/1125204020774285312?s=21

You remember that twitter poll that had over 20k votes a few months ago? They did a new one for DLC and Bandana Dee reached #3. In the last poll he ranked #4.

Also forgive me I have no idea how to make the tweet actually show on my post
Not only 3rd place and one of the two Kirby characters voted, he's the highest ranked 1st party character. If we do get another wave with first parties, I dare say we're in a rather fine place ladies and gentlemen.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee vs Captain Toad confirmed?
I meant to mention this sooner, but I asked someone on Death Battle Wiki (yes, there's a wiki), and they said that Bandana Dee would beat Captain Toad with "extreme ease", but they couldn't think of anyone better, so it's a bit hard to tell what they'll do if Dee gets in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I meant to mention this sooner, but I asked someone on Death Battle Wiki (yes, there's a wiki), and they said that Bandana Dee would beat Captain Toad with "extreme ease", but they couldn't think of anyone better, so it's a bit hard to tell what they'll do if Dee gets in.
What about Bandana Dee vs Dixie Kong? Both are the 4th wheels to their franchise that me and everybody else would feel both their series represention would be complete if they ever get into Smash.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What about Bandana Dee vs Dixie Kong? Both are the 4th wheels to their franchise that me and everybody else would feel both their series represention would be complete if they ever get into Smash.
I would be happier with Kirby representation if BWD got in, but to say it's "complete" would require a few more steps than that. Same for DK.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
can we really trust online polls? was there a limit to how often people could vote?
No, not really, but even if people were making alts he's still very popular.

But let's be honest there's a 0.0001% chance that BWD's 3rd placement was fudged.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't know if those Google polls are "can only vote once" type of thing. But it also means that if some did cheat, it already shows how many want him to win as is. That still says something about his popularity overall. Can be applied to any character, really.

I'm just in the boat of thinking it's all legit instead. I don't like assuming bad faith, really.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would be happier with Kirby representation if BWD got in, but to say it's "complete" would require a few more steps than that. Same for DK.
Honestly, Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong is all we need to say those franchises representation are complete. Anybody else after those two for both DK and Kirby are kind of unnecessary or unimportant in comparison.

Also, getting a perfect line-up for almost any franchise in Smash is impossible.

For Mario we are still missing:

Captain Toad/Toadette
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno

And pretty much everybody in Bowser's army and the Star Babies.

For Zelda we are missing:

Pig Ganon
Impa
Skull Kid
The Champions
Tingle
Vaati
Yuga

And the list goes on.

I don't want to continue farther because I pretty much made my point here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, not really, but even if people were making alts he's still very popular.

But let's be honest there's a 0.0001% chance that BWD's 3rd placement was fudged.
i am willing to believe bandana is that popular (this thread proves it) im always a bit wary of these things after some the stories ive heard

Also, getting a perfect line-up for almost any franchise in Smash is impossible.
especially as everyone has a different idea of what a perfect line up would be

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly, Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong is all we need to say those franchises representation are complete. Anybody else after those two for both DK and Kirby are kind of unnecessary or unimportant in comparison.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't see how characters like Funky Kong or Marx who have also appeared in several games (and playable) would be "unnecessary" or "Unmportant." Technically, most fighters are unnecessary. And to say someone is "unimportant" is a). Subjective, and b). largely ignores their fanbase, potential, and other reasons why they should be in Smash.

If I were to use your same logic, I would say that :ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzss: are either "unnecessary" or "unimportant" in comparison.

Also, you never specified which characters fall under this. Which specific characters from the Kirby and DK franchise do you deem "unnecessary" or "unimportant," and why?
No one here is asking for a perfect lineup. All I'm saying is that stopping at four fighters for two of Nintendo's most successful and popular franchises would be wasted potential and a huge disappointment.
For Mario we are still missing:

Captain Toad/Toadette
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno
While I agree one some of these, I should remind you that a character being "missing" is totally subjective. At its current sate, the Mario roster in Smash represents the vast majority of their major games.
Captain Toad: Agreed.
Waluigi: Definitely.
Paper Mario: Eh. I don't feel like there's a gaping hole or anything without him. Considering we may never see a Paper Mario game for a long time I don't feel like he's "missing."
Geno: He has appeared in one game (count it: ONE GAME). He has been AWOL for over two decades and limited to small cameos since. He is not "missing," and considering your logic, I'd say he's very unimportant and unnecessary by comparison.

And pretty much everybody in Bowser's army and the Star Babies.
I don't see how either of those are both necessary and important. Bowser's army already has Piranha Plant and the koopalings, and even then the army is fundamentally composed of "generic enemies" and probably wouldn't be well received after PP. While I personally don't have any reservations against them, I'd at least like to see you defend how they're both necessary and important by comparison to be in Smash.

As for the star children....what the ****. I'm going to need a five paragraph essay with parenthetical citations as to why they're both important and necessary by comparison to be in this game. They're probably more known for their appearances in Mario Kart than their original games, and we already have all of their adult versions in Smash, so adding them would be super redundant. They haven't been super important to the Mario franchise in recent years anyway.
For Zelda we are missing:

Pig Ganon
Impa
Skull Kid
The Champions
Tingle
Vaati
Yuga
Pig Ganon: Agreed. We need someone to represent older Zelda.
Impa: Definately.
Skull Kid: He kind of falls in the same boat as Geno, but considering how lackluster Zelda representation is and that the series has used his asset more, I agree.
The Champions: Uh....four new fighters from one new game? A game that already has a fighter to represent it? All of which are locked to cutscenes and have shallow development? I'll Pass, thank you.
Tingle: I'm not particularly attached to Tingle but I understand why some fans want him. It would make sense for him to be in considering all of his appearances.
Vaati: Similar boat to Skull Kid, really. Not too necessary or important by comparison.
Yuga: Using your logic, Yuga really isn't necessary or important to Zelda representation in Smash by comparison.

What I think I'm looking at here, unless I'm wrong, is a bunch of personal favorites. I simply don't understand how you can denounce every Kirby and DK character other than BWD and Dixie Kong as unnecessary and unimportant by comparison but then claim that Smash is "missing" (as in incomplete without) all of the characters you just listed, especially ones like Geno army or Yuga which, and let's be honest, really aren't as significant by comparison.
I don't want to continue farther because I pretty much made my point here.
Not really. You provided subjective opinions about who you feel is missing from the game without any explanation as to why. You also didn't explain why you would feel anyone from the DK or Kirby series sans BWD and Dixie would be unnecessary or unimportant.

I really just don't get how you can denounce every popular character from Kirby and DK except for BWD and Dixie but then suggest that Smash is "missing" the freaking star children and the BotW champions.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Paper Mario: Eh. I don't feel like there's a gaping hole or anything without him. Considering we may never see a Paper Mario game for a long time I don't feel like he's "missing."
While the gaping hole issue is going to come down to personal preference (there totally is and way more than for Captain Toad) there's nothing suggesting that Paper Mario is gone or is taking a break.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Warned for flaming
I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't see how characters like Funky Kong or Marx who have also appeared in several games (and playable) would be "unnecessary" or "Unmportant." Technically, most fighters are unnecessary. And to say someone is "unimportant" is a). Subjective, and b). largely ignores their fanbase, potential, and other reasons why they should be in Smash.

If I were to use your same logic, I would say that :ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzss: are either "unnecessary" or "unimportant" in comparison.

Also, you never specified which characters fall under this. Which specific characters from the Kirby and DK franchise do you deem "unnecessary" or "unimportant," and why?

No one here is asking for a perfect lineup. All I'm saying is that stopping at four fighters for two of Nintendo's most successful and popular franchises would be wasted potential and a huge disappointment.

While I agree one some of these, I should remind you that a character being "missing" is totally subjective. At its current sate, the Mario roster in Smash represents the vast majority of their major games.
Captain Toad: Agreed.
Waluigi: Definitely.
Geno: He has appeared in one game (count it: ONE GAME). He has been AWOL for over two decades and limited to small cameos since. He is not "missing," and considering your logic, I'd say he's very unimportant and unnecessary by comparison.

I don't see how either of those are both necessary and important. Bowser's army already has Piranha Plant and the koopalings, and even then the army is fundamentally composed of "generic enemies" and probably wouldn't be well received after PP. While I personally don't have any reservations against them, I'd at least like to see you defend how they're both necessary and important by comparison to be in Smash.

As for the star children....what the ****. I'm going to need a five paragraph essay with parenthetical citations as to why they're both important and necessary by comparison to be in this game. They're probably more known for their appearances in Mario Kart than their original games, and we already have all of their adult versions in Smash, so adding them would be super redundant. They haven't been super important to the Mario franchise in recent years anyway.

Pig Ganon: Agreed. We need someone to represent older Zelda.
Impa: Definately.
Skull Kid: He kind of falls in the same boat as Geno, but considering how lackluster Zelda representation is and that the series has used his asset more, I agree.
The Champions: Uh....four new fighters from one new game? A game that already has a fighter to represent it? All of which are locked to cutscenes and have shallow development? I'll Pass, thank you.
Tingle: I'm not particularly attached to Tingle but I understand why some fans want him. It would make sense for him to be in considering all of his appearances.
Vaati: Similar boat to Skull Kid, really. Not too necessary or important by comparison.
Yuga: Using your logic, Yuga really isn't necessary or important to Zelda representation in Smash by comparison.

What I think I'm looking at here, unless I'm wrong, is a bunch of personal favorites. I simply don't understand how you can denounce every Kirby and DK character other than BWD and Dixie Kong as unnecessary and unimportant by comparison but then claim that Smash is "missing" (as in incomplete without) all of the characters you just listed, especially ones like Geno army or Yuga which, and let's be honest, really aren't as significant by comparison.

Not really. You provided subjective opinions about who you feel is missing from the game without any explanation as to why. You also didn't explain why you would feel anyone from the DK or Kirby series sans BWD and Dixie would be unnecessary or unimportant.

I really just don't get how you can denounce every popular character from Kirby and DK except for BWD and Dixie but then suggest that Smash is "missing" the freaking star children and the BotW champions.
I didn't say any of those Mario or Zelda characters were worthy to get into Smash and I didn't say they were more important or necessary than any Kirby or DK characters, you did you prick! Also, I was using the Mario and Zelda characters as a small example as to why we will never have a true complete roster. I wasn't talking about omission ranking 1 to 100, I was using those characters as a example, not a "Who deserves to get in first or more list".

I prefer a lot of the Kongs and Star Allies over a lot of those characters I listed, so shut the hell up!

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
While the gaping hole issue is going to come down to personal preference (there totally is and way more than for Captain Toad) there's nothing suggesting that Paper Mario is gone or is taking a break.
You're right, I guess I spoke too soon. It's just been a long time since the last Paper Mario game (the previous one having a lackluster release on the Wii U three years ago). I should probably wait longer for an announcement before making judgements.
I didn't say any of those Mario or Zelda characters were worthy to get into Smash and I didn't say they were more important or necessary than any Kirby or DK characters, you did you prick! Also, I was using the Mario and Zelda characters as a small example as to why we will never have a true complete roster. I wasn't talking about omission ranking 1 to 100, I was using those characters as a example, not a "Who deserves to get in first or more list".

I prefer a lot of the Kongs and Star Allies over a lot of those characters I listed, so shut the hell up!
If your intention wasn't to compare al of the characters you listed, than your post was poorly worded. The way I read it was you were implying that it was unnecessary to add more Kirby or DK fighters beyond Dixie and BWD, but then immediately jumped to talking about "missing" fighters as if they already had a spot pending in Smash.

And even then, if we can get three joe schmo fighters from Fire Emblem who had less than ten brain cells put into their development, we can certainly go beyond four Kirby and DK fighters each.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
You know how a lot of BWD fans have been using Japan for a crutch to say that we have a lot of supporters over there?
Turns out he did worse in the Japanese fan ballot than the Western.

If I didn't already think he was impossible due to Sakurai bias and spirits deconfirming, I'd say he's impossible.

"But he still did good". Look at what "good" got us and everyone else: PNG Files, Mii Outfits and Assist Trophies. Only the 2 tip-top winners got in, with 1 wildcard exception. Top 5 doesn't cut it. You gotta win, and even then, good luck! Look at how long K. Rool took to get in, despite being #1 for years, and add a vendetta from the only person who has a say in adding characters, and you got a 0% chance of winning! The only way he would actually stand a chance, is, again, if there was a new director that 1: Doesn't hold the same (or worse) vendettas against Modern Kirby that Sakurai does and 2: hasn't specifically been told by Sakurai to not include Non-Sakurai Kirby content.

Edit: Japan for some reason was based on expectations and not wants, which I did not realize.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only way he would actually stand a chance, is, again, if there was a new director that 1: Doesn't hold the same (or worse) vendettas against Modern Kirby that Sakurai does and 2: hasn't specifically been told by Sakurai to not include Non-Sakurai Kirby content.
calling for a new director is a huge gamble on the entire game not just on the kirby content

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I disagree. Bandana Dee and Dixie I feel would perfect their respective franchise from a strictly character perspective. Sure you could add more, but it's already perfect.

Take Metroid. I saw it as perfect when Ridley was added, and then they added Dark Samus on top of it. Dark Samus was nice but I never saw her as necessary, she was only really in two games that are pretty old now (but I still love her)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know how a lot of BWD fans have been using Japan for a crutch to say that we have a lot of supporters over there?
Turns out he did worse in the Japanese fan ballot than the Western.

If I didn't already think he was impossible due to Sakurai bias and spirits deconfirming, I'd say he's impossible.
The Japanese poll was about who they EXPECT, not who the WANT.

Top Bottom