• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And for Shrek in particular: Sakrai said no MANGA characters. He never spoke against any character that isn't from a manga, so technically Cartoon and Movie characters are still in the running
To the Japanese, all animation and comics from around the world are anime and manga. So they wouldn't understand why westerners think it's funny to call Bee Movie an anime.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, have any of you lot played Extra Epic Yarn yet?

My biggest concern at the moment isn't Goku or Shrek getting a playable status before Bandana Dee, it's seeing Marx get playable status before Bandana Dee. Nothing against Marx, but I don't want to see another excuse to add Super Star content to the game when Dee is just as, if not, more deserving.

Also, Marx being a boss doesn't instantly disqualify him as a playable character. Bowser and Ganondorf appear in the cutscenes before transforming into Giga Bowser and Ganon respectively. We could easily get Marx's first form as playable.
Let's consider Marx's case from Sakurai's point of view here; does he see him as anything other than the final boss of Kirby Super Star? Given that so far there's been much emphasis on anything from Dream Land 1, Adventure (even if only the Dream Fountain) KSS and Air Ride.

And he did bring him up to talk about the creative process behind his boss fight. If him being playable via DLC was supposed to be a surprise, well he just blew it then.

Which sounds more likely for Sakurai to change his mind on? A character Sakurai said no to and may or may not like? Or a character Sakurai most likely hates? And for Shrek in particular: Sakrai said no MANGA characters. He never spoke against any character that isn't from a manga, so technically Cartoon and Movie characters are still in the running. Obviously they're not gonna get in, but again, they have a better chance than someone Sakurai has an active vendetta against.

What you said about Sakurai's tweet may be true, but the point that he doesn't want to hear any of it remains.

I doubt that you could call Bandana Dee promotional, since Star Allies released over a year ago, and you're not gonna wanna promote a game that's been out for way more than a year by the time a theoretical Bandana Dee DLC would be released.

The thing with Ridley's hatebase not mattering is that Sakurai didn't hate Ridley himself. His issues with him were development-based, rather than bias-based. If he knew how to work around it beforehand, Ridley probably would have been in before Ultimate. Sakurai hates Bandana Dee. And like you said, Sakurai chose fighters based on the ballot. Sakurai can simply not choose Bandana Dee.

This has nothing to do with a slightly surprising 3rd party. It's moreso Reggie's words implying that the DLC is all gonna be 3rd parties who never appeared in the series at all up to this point (with maybe 1 Nintendo promotion) just like Smash 4 and that Sakurai still has a vendetta against Modern Kirby. Obviously Shrek's not getting in, but with a longstanding beef against Bandana Dee, and the loophole in Sakurai's words, who's really more unlikely?
Thing is, the only reason manga (and by extension other licensed characters) characters can't be considered is that licensing negotiations would be too much of a hassle, especially if they use an actor's likeness (that one in particular is one of the reasons James Bond was no longer considered at the time of Melee).

Also, I'm pretty sure that Reggie only implied that all the characters would be newcomers that are unexpected. For whom? Who knows, even Joker had people expecting him.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
My biggest concern at the moment isn't Goku or Shrek getting a playable status before Bandana Dee, it's seeing Marx get playable status before Bandana Dee. Nothing against Marx, but I don't want to see another excuse to add Super Star content to the game when Dee is just as, if not, more deserving.

Also, Marx being a boss doesn't instantly disqualify him as a playable character. Bowser and Ganondorf appear in the cutscenes before transforming into Giga Bowser and Ganon respectively. We could easily get Marx's first form as playable.
That is very true. I still believe Sakurai is biased and an excuse to add his character in over Bandana Dee is pretty much the final nail in his coffin, and unlike Shrek and Goku, who are just "ohh Bandana Dee's that unlikely", Marx can actually steal his slot, which could very well mean the Kirby series will be trapped in 1996/2003 for another 10 years. Just for reference, from Return to Dream Land, that'd be 17 Years, from Brawl, that'd be 21 Years, from Air Ride, that'd be 25 Years, and from Super Star, that'd be a whopping 32 Years.

And I could see Sakurai making an exception to the whole "spirits deconfirm" thing (assuming they do deconfirm), since Marx is his creation.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I absolutely REFUSE to call Sakurai bias a simple "coincidence" anymore. From the extreme lack of modern Kirby content to the ridiculous oversaturation of KI Uprising, there's definitely something going on here. And I know Sakurai has gone on record saying he doesn't have bias while giving explanations for the strange imbalance of certain things, he always seems to avoid actually addressing the problem as a whole and seems to only talk about the small things, but even then his explanations about them are extremely vague or makes no sense at all. Why was Dreamland GB and Great Cave Offensive chosen but not Royal Road and Another Dimension? The only explanation at this point is bias.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To the Japanese, all animation and comics from around the world are anime and manga. So they wouldn't understand why westerners think it's funny to call Bee Movie an anime.
people find that funny?

At this point, I absolutely REFUSE to call Sakurai bias a simple "coincidence" anymore. From the extreme lack of modern Kirby content to the ridiculous oversaturation of KI Uprising, there's definitely something going on here. And I know Sakurai has gone on record saying he doesn't have bias while giving explanations for the strange imbalance of certain things, he always seems to avoid actually addressing the problem as a whole and seems to only talk about the small things, but even then his explanations about them are extremely vague or makes no sense at all. Why was Dreamland GB and Great Cave Offensive chosen but not Royal Road and Another Dimension? The only explanation at this point is bias.
a lot of his explanations do feel like things he made up on the spot

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Marx can actually steal his slot
That's not how it works, really. Unless they decided to reserve a spot in the roster for a Kirby character and then decided who should be in, most, if not all of the newcomers in each game are decided from the spot via Sakurai's project plan.
Interesting. I never considered it like that. Then again Giga Bowser is technically Smash OC so depending on the way you look at it that property can only be applied to Ganon.

One more time: I know people consider the worst case scenario being only one Kirby newcomer, but if we're going to be realistic, there's been enough demand for a Kirby newcomer in the last 11 years (it has been too long Sakurai) that we should be able to entertain the idea of multiple Kirby newcomers.
Bee Movie an anime.
Excuse me? Bee Movie is hardly an anime compared to Dora the Explorah

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
That's not how it works, really. Unless they decided to reserve a spot in the roster for a Kirby character and then decided who should be in, most, if not all of the newcomers in each game are decided from the spot via Sakurai's project plan.

Interesting. I never considered it like that. Then again Giga Bowser is technically Smash OC so depending on the way you look at it that property can only be applied to Ganon.

One more time: I know people consider the worst case scenario being only one Kirby newcomer, but if we're going to be realistic, there's been enough demand for a Kirby newcomer in the last 11 years (it has been too long Sakurai) that we should be able to entertain the idea of multiple Kirby newcomers.

Excuse me? Bee Movie is hardly an anime compared to Dora the Explorah
The thing is, given how Sakurai is with Kirby in particular, the next Kirby rep is likely to be the last Kirby rep for another 10 years afterwards. So if Sakurai's child gets in, Bandana Dee's deconfirmed for this game and the next, too. Maybe even the one after. Kirby does deserve a 5th and maybe even 6th, but we're not discussing what Sakurai should do, since we pretty much all agree on that. We're discussing what Sakurai would do. And he wouldn't add another Kirby rep anywhere close to the last one. And he wouldn't make that rep a character that isn't from one of his own games.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The thing is, given how Sakurai is with Kirby in particular, the next Kirby rep is likely to be the last Kirby rep for another 10 years afterwards. So if Sakurai's child gets in, Bandana Dee's deconfirmed for this game and the next, too. Maybe even the one after. Kirby does deserve a 5th and maybe even 6th, but we're not discussing what Sakurai should do, since we pretty much all agree on that. We're discussing what Sakurai would do. And he wouldn't add another Kirby rep anywhere close to the last one. And he wouldn't make that rep a character that isn't from one of his own games.
Citation needed. Kirby just had its very essential characters, we don't know the route Sakurai will take with side characters.

Also Kirby is not the only franchise that didn't get a character past two games.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Citation needed. Kirby just had its very essential characters, we don't know the route Sakurai will take with side characters.

Also Kirby is not the only franchise that didn't get a character past two games.
*Cries in Zelda*

And technically the "very essential" characters can expand to Bandana Dee if we're going to count modern Kirby more, but that's subjective.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Marx's chances are overrated. He was irrelevant until Star Allies, but that game made several Kirby characters relevant again. And I still stand by the opinion that his body type would be hard to work with.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Would be cursed if in the end we just got a random enemy like :ultpiranha:? I mean, the way they consider Bandana Dee to just be an upgraded version of a regular dee is kinda disheartening.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Alright, let's not turn Dee and Marx fans against each other. I'd still be hyped if Marx got in.
Would be cursed if in the end we just got a random enemy like :ultpiranha:? I mean, the way they consider Bandana Dee to just be an upgraded version of a regular dee is kinda disheartening.
Technically....BWD is an upgraded Waddle Dee. That's what separates him apart.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Alright, let's not turn Dee and Marx fans against each other. I'd still be hyped if Marx got in.
I can't say I want Marx while Bandana Dee is among my top three most wanted but yeah, there's no reason for their fans to be enemies (that should apply to any fanbase, tbh).

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
In our defense, the Marx fans have been rather rabid towards us Bandana Dee fans as of late. I'm not saying we should attack them back, but I just thought I'd mention this.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
In our defense, the Marx fans have been rather rabid towards us Bandana Dee fans as of late. I'm not saying we should attack them back, but I just thought I'd mention this.
Eh, they were only rowdy during the base game speculation period.
Even then, I bet some of those "fans" of Marx were only using him as an easy bandwagon counter-pick to Bandana Dee.

Also, while I hope that I don't sound as entitled as ever, I'd only be completely okay with Marx getting in Smash if Bandana Dee got in before him.

The call for Bandana Dee sounds more genuine in my view, (and not just because I'm potentially biased), while in Marx's case it seems that he's only requested just to fit some sort of quota. We all truly know how Marx stands in the Kirby series, and personally, he wouldn't be repping much for the Kirby series besides being one of the numerous bosses/villains that appeared throughout the series' entirety. In Bandana Dee's case, he at least made a mark in the series since the beginning of the Modern Era of Kirby, and even then he literally has just as much history in the series as Marx since they both debuted in the same title.

tldr: Marx's fans weren't always this way until Marx "fans" showed up during the speculation period and over-bloated the questionable call for Marx to join Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, they were only rowdy during the base game speculation period.
Even then, I bet some of those "fans" of Marx were only using him as an easy bandwagon counter-pick to Bandana Dee.

Also, while I hope that I don't sound as entitled as ever, I'd only be completely okay with Marx getting in Smash if Bandana Dee got in before him.

The call for Bandana Dee sounds more genuine in my view, (and not just because I'm potentially biased), while in Marx's case it seems that he's only requested just to fit some sort of quota. We all truly know how Marx stands in the Kirby series, and personally, he wouldn't be repping much for the Kirby series besides being one of the numerous bosses/villains that appeared throughout the series' entirety. In Bandana Dee's case, he at least made a mark in the series since the beginning of the Modern Era of Kirby, and even then he literally has just as much history in the series as Marx since they both debuted in the same title.

tldr: Marx's fans weren't always this way until Marx "fans" showed up during the speculation period and over-bloated the questionable call for Marx to join Smash.
i feel this mirror mys feelings toward waluigi and toad

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Most of the aggressive fans of characters are people who've watched youtube videos that described how good it would be for said character to be in smash. They never really cared about the character until their favorite personality told them to. That's usually why it's best to ignore people who try to argue that one character has a much better chance than another without any real rhyme or reason behind their argument.
Edit: Not pointing any fingers of course, but it's usually the characters that appear in every top 10 wanted dlc characters lists that gain these type of "fans"

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Most of the aggressive fans of characters are people who've watched youtube videos that described how good it would be for said character to be in smash. They never really cared about the character until their favorite personality told them to. That's usually why it's best to ignore people who try to argue that one character has a much better chance than another without any real rhyme or reason behind their argument.
Edit: Not pointing any fingers of course, but it's usually the characters that appear in every top 10 wanted dlc characters lists that gain these type of "fans"
well theres always people in every fandom who give the rest of them a bad name, a sad truth

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it's circumstantial. Characters who are genuinely iconic/important to Nintendo history typically have really aggressive support because fans are confused as to why they haven't gotten in Smash yet (Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, etc.) YouTube videos might fuel the fire, but I think a majority their supporters made the decision on their own account.

The type of fans you're talking about usually get involved with the lesser-knowns like Geno and Isaac or perhaps more specifically, meme-centered characters like Waluigi.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it's circumstantial. Characters who are genuinely iconic/important to Nintendo history typically have really aggressive support because fans are confused as to why they haven't gotten in Smash yet (Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, etc.) YouTube videos might fuel the fire, but I think a majority their supporters made the decision on their own account.
we toad fans are pretty easy going

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

The type of fans you're talking about usually get involved with the lesser-knowns like Geno and Isaac or perhaps more specifically, meme-centered characters like Waluigi.
I wouldn't call Waluigi a complete meme. I mean there are only 2 characters left needed to complete the main Mario cast, those being Walugi and Toad. It's up for debate, but yeah, there are a lot of characters who are supported because of bandwagons, like Skull Kid, Shadow, and the characters you mentioned.

The thing is with some characters, like Bandana Dee, can be argued with "They're a main character of one of Nintendo's important franchises (meaning the whole franchise, not just a game or two), so they should be a fighter in Smash", and honestly, I think that should be one of if not the most important criteria, rather than "What does Sakurai like?", because I think characters who could have easily gotten the slot long beforehand like Bandana Dee, Waluigi and Toad who meet that main character of main franchise criteria have gotten screwed over multiple times because of it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I wouldn't call Waluigi a complete meme. I mean there are only 2 characters left needed to complete the main Mario cast, those being Walugi and Toad. It's up for debate, but yeah, there are a lot of characters who are supported because of bandwagons, like Skull Kid, Shadow, and the characters you mentioned.
Remove :ultdoc::ultpiranha: and replace them with those two and we have the complete mario cast.

Memes aside, and although PP is certainly iconic, it's a generic scrub. I'd gladly replace it with Waluigi.

Moving on

From previous posts: I've never seen "aggressive" behavior come from BWD supporters. Depending on how we define aggressive support for a character, I've seen fanatical posts, but nothing along the lines of hostile. I daresay that I've seen more hostile posts from other fanbases, but I won't point any fingers.

I also think that if we're going via a pre-2003 perspective, Marx is infinitely more qualified for being in the roster than BWD is simply for being more iconic to the series as whole and (arguably) more design space to work with.

In my opinion, for Kirby representation to be the best it can be without over-inflating the roster, these four fighters are needs:
1. BWD. The most popular Kirby choice, and represents modern Kirby best.
2. Marx. The most iconic villain from the series with tons of moveset potential.
3. Magolor. Very popular in Japan, and the face of Kirby's big comeback (think of it this way: RtDL is to Kirby as Awakening is to FE)
4. Adeline and Ribbon: Represent both the Dark Matter Trilogy and Kirby 64, plus lots of creative potential.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Just copying over a thought I've had in the Dixie thread.

Most of the popular first party ballot characters who didn't make the roster were added as assist trophies, notably Waluigi, Issac and Krystal among others. But it's strange to me that Bandana Dee is neither playable nor an assist despite his huge popularity. It makes me wonder if he's being held back for DLC.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Just copying over a thought I've had in the Dixie thread.

Most of the popular first party ballot characters who didn't make the roster were added as assist trophies, notably Waluigi, Issac and Krystal among others. But it's strange to me that Bandana Dee is neither playable nor an assist despite his huge popularity. It makes me wonder if he's being held back for DLC.
Nah. If he was, he wouldn't be a spirit. He's sadly deconfirmed. Also, Reggie's words after Joker's reveal strongly imply that there will be no fan favorites, which Bandana Dee definitely is. They also imply the DLC's only gonna be 3rd parties with maybe 1 promotional Nintendo character like Smash 4 DLC was. So Bandana Dee's not getting in, as deserving as he is.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nah. If he was, he wouldn't be a spirit. He's sadly deconfirmed. Also, Reggie's words after Joker's reveal strongly imply that there will be no fan favorites, which Bandana Dee definitely is. They also imply the DLC's only gonna be 3rd parties with maybe 1 promotional Nintendo character like Smash 4 DLC was. So Bandana Dee's not getting in, as deserving as he is.
Then again, there are all of those new rumors about a 2nd and possible a 3rd DLC wave incoming. I agree he's deconfirmed for wave 1 but I'm keeping an open mind for the possibility of extra DLC.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
He said they will be surprising picks, and Spirits only deconfirmed characters in the vanilla game, not DLC. If a character dodn't get in soley because he was a spirit... That would be stupid.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
No, Reggie was basically saying that the characters would be new to the series, which is correct as no veteran will be DLC this time, because everyone from the past games are already in the game. All of the characters in the DLC will be newcomers. The "Characters that you would not expect to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" part is subjective, a character that some consider expected, others may not think they are. It's too early to assume anything when we only have Joker to go on.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So are there still people who don't treat spirits as a deconfirm? Because I wish I could be that way.
I just can't see them preventing a character from being DLC because they included a single PNG file of them in the base game.

If spirits de-confirm characters, then 99% of Nintendo's line-up of major characters is automatically disqualified (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly), which would be a strange move to say the least.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just can't see them preventing a character from being DLC because they included a single PNG file of them in the base game.

If spirits de-confirm characters, then 99% of Nintendo's line-up of major characters is automatically disqualified (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly), which would be a strange move to say the least.
Not if you want all DLC to be third parties.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace

Okay, then why was there no Piranha Plant spirit before his release as a fighter, despite him being on a stage? Spirits were such a last minute thing, hence even characters from 2018 games being spirits. So any character planned to be in the game (which they were decided on already before the December direct) wouldn't be added as a spirit. If that's not the case, Plant would've had an equippable spirit in the game.

Spirits are a deconfirm, as much as I hate to say it. But saying any spirit character could be playable at all is just ignorance.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Okay, then why was there no Piranha Plant spirit before his release as a fighter, despite him being on a stage? Spirits were such a last minute thing, hence even characters from 2018 games being spirits. So any character planned to be in the game (which they were decided on already before the December direct) wouldn't be added as a spirit. If that's not the case, Plant would've had an equippable spirit in the game.

Spirits are a deconfirm, as much as I hate to say it. But saying any spirit character could be playable at all is just ignorance.
I think it's heavily implied Plant was actually supposed to be in the base game, hence it was a free limited time offer and is the only DLC character with a guidance. It was probably planned way before the Spirits concept.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I think it's heavily implied Plant was actually supposed to be in the base game, hence it was a free limited time offer and is the only DLC character with a guidance. It was probably planned way before the Spirits concept.
Exactly my point. I think all characters were planned before which characters would be spirits. All of you are only saying you think spirits could still be fighters because your favorites were deconfirmed. Come back to me in 2020 when none of the DLC fighters are spirits.

No fighter can equip a spirit of a regular version of themselves. This won't change with DLC. Pay attention to reason. Don't believe something unlikely because you want it to be true.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Exactly my point. I think all characters were planned before which characters would be spirits. All of you are only saying you think spirits could still be fighters because your favorites were deconfirmed. Come back to me in 2020 when none of the DLC fighters are spirits.

No fighter can equip a spirit of a regular version of themselves. This won't change with DLC. Pay attention to reason. Don't believe something unlikely because you want it to be true.
Excuse me but what did my post have to do with your point exactly? I was arguing Piranha Plant was a completely different case from the rest of the DLC. I just can't see the fighter pass being brainstormed before Spirits mode. That kinda goes against "finishing the game first" and the Tweet made by Sakurai seems to imply the lineup was finalised just last year, way after Spirits were implemented.
Spirits might deconfirm and the DLC will be all third-party or characters hand picked to not have Spirits, they also might not and it could turn out they were still the equivalent to trophies which have no barring on the DLC plan at all. We simply do not know. Joker and Plant still can't give us a definitive conclusion.

My point is, why are you acting with such arrogance all of the sudden?

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Excuse me but what did my post have to do with your point exactly? I was arguing Piranha Plant was a completely different case from the rest of the DLC. I just can't see the fighter pass being brainstormed before Spirits mode. That kinda goes against "finishing the game first" and the Tweet made by Sakurai seems to imply the lineup was finalised just last year, way after Spirits were implemented.
Spirits might deconfirm and the DLC will be all third-party or characters hand picked to not have Spirits, they also might not and it could turn out they were still the equivalent to trophies which have no barring on the DLC plan at all. We simply do not know. Joker and Plant still can't give us a definitive conclusion.

My point is, why are you acting with such arrogance all of the sudden?
I didn't mean to be, sorry. But you can't act with such uncertainty but still act like you just be right! Note that Sakurai announced that all DLC had been selected less than a week after the direct that announced DLC at all. These characters were likely ready in advance, with special care not to add spirits of the characters they might want to use.

Don't act like my argument makes no sense without also providing a good enough argument of your own. End of discussion.

Top Bottom