• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Non-sword FE user is most likely due to the fact that most important FE characters/lords use a sword. Then again Robin uses his tomes and Corrin does their shape shifting...thingy, so I guess maybe the devs thought that didn't count as much(?)
The lack of a recent DKC rep is most likely due to the fact that there was a limited amount of newcomers and having multiple newcomers from DK in Ultimate would be a bit much for some people. I'm adamant that if there was room for more newcomers Dixie would have been included. Smash 4 and Smash 4 DLC are a much different story.
I'll concede on Zelda though.
For FE, pretty much what Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma said. For DK, what they said plus the fact that Dixie was supposed to be in Brawl and if we had K. Rool in Smash 4, we very well could have gotten Dixie, probably as an echo/semi-clone. As for Zelda, most of the characters from that series are one-offs with none of them being that important to the series, besides Impa who could be in, but Sakurai might know her for her appearances that don't resemble a Ninja or just can't envision her fighting like other characters, since only HW Impa actually fights, who Nintendo's not able to get due to copyright. As for Modern Kirby, there's no reason. Why pick Marx for a boss when you could have just picked Magolor or Galacta Knight? Why make what was supposed to be Epic Yarn one of your games and not a game w/o representation like RtDL, 64 or Squeak Squad? Why make absolutely ZERO modern Kirby remixes while 2 of Sakurai's games get one?

Honestly a big reason Dixie isn't in yet is likely the lack of a DK newcomer in Melee, presumably due to the Rare debacle.
Not necessarily. As I said before, if we had K. Rool in Smash 4, we very well could have gotten Dixie, probably as an echo/semi-clone.

Not too surprising, since it's not only a port on a dying console, but one of a spin-off. I don't think it's gonna spell Doom for Kirby.
(But Marine might if he gets in *ba dum tss*)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, HAL has no other choice but to put future Kirby games on the Switch, reduced output be damned.

As for "anything is possible" characters, the only ones that would truly fit this are a Western character, an indie character, someone that Kumazaki convinces Sakurai to put in, or Waluigi. Or Goku.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly a big reason Dixie isn't in yet is likely the lack of a DK newcomer in Melee, presumably due to the Rare debacle.
I actually think even if Diddy Kong was added in Melee, there is a good chance that Brawl would have had no DK newcomers (and neither would have Smash 4). Keep in mind, Dixie Kong did not start to make appearances in the DK series again until Donkey Konga 2's release in 2004, and K. Rool did not start having antagonist roles in titles again until 2005's DK: King of Swing. Keeping in mind that most of Brawl's roster was decided in mid 2005, I think there is a very good chance that neither Dixie Kong or K. Rool would have been a part of it. Dixie Kong and K. Rool having no new appearances after 2008's Mario Super Sluggers was probably the main factor that kept them off Smash 4's newcomer list (all of Smash 4's newcomers had a prominent software release after Brawl with the exception of Duck Hunt).

Dixie Kong is a character that historically has had bad timing and bad circumstances in regards to Smash Bros. She could have been retooled as a separate semi-clone of Diddy Kong back during Brawl, but was not. She probably would have been part of Smash 4's roster had it started development a year later (where Sakurai would then had known about her upcoming role in Tropical Freeze). K. Rool dominating the Smash ballot and there being only a small list of newcomer for Ultimate (of which only the most elite of newcomer choices, with the exception of Incineroar, Piranha Plant, and the echoes were able to make the cut) meant she simply could not make the cut. And now Ultimate going with very likely all third-party characters for its DLC.

It is pretty ironic how the three characters with the biggest claims to being Nintendo All-Stars left (Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee) all have unfortunate circumstances surrounding them that normally should not have kept them out.

Ridley was most likely the "everything is possible" newcomer since he had the most going against his inclusion in Smash.
I actually agree with this (partially). As a very long-time Ridley fan and supporter, I honestly thought he was most likely never going to be playable in an official Smash Bros. title after Sakurai came out and said he thought Ridley was "too big". It was simply a miracle that Sakurai re-considered his opinion on Ridley so soon after he said those thoughts on him (only a year later). Sakurai has gone on the record to say Ridley was among the most challenging characters he ever had to make, so it was definitely a miracle even through a design stand point.

The other miracle associated with Ultimate was simply bringing every single veteran in the history of the series back. I never thought this would happen (especially considering how some veterans such as Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur seemed to have relatively few championing their return). Not to mention all the arm wrestling it probably took to get the likes of Snake and Cloud on the roster again.

There are also other newcomer additions to Ultimate that were miraculous. K. Rool's inclusion was likely due to his ballot performance and probably would never had made it in had there not been one. Both Dark Samus and Chrom also were miraculous inclusions. Dark Samus's last game appearance was all the way back in 2007 and she did not seem to have many requests for her (she was also the only Assist Trophy to be promoted aside from Little Mac and Isabelle, both of whom are Nintendo All-Stars), and Chrom hails from a series where it typically is the freshest face that is chosen to be the newcomer for Smash Bros. and the fact that his game of origin already had two playable characters already).

All in all, Ultimate granted a lot of miracles in regards to character selection. I said before that Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Inkling, and Isabelle were the best of the best as far as newcomers that they could have chosen. The echo selections were also fantastic. Even Incineroar and Piranha Plant had strong points in regards to their inclusion with Incineroar finally bringing the pro-wrestler archetype to Smash Bros., and Piranha Plant upending expectations for what and who a fighter can be.

It is simply incredible.

I personally would have really liked to have seen Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong on the roster (they are the only two Nintendo All-Star characters left that do not have some sort of major role in Ultimate and their inclusion would probably make at least the Nintendo side of things seem "complete"), but on the whole we got a really fantastic roster that a year ago I would have deemed extremely unlikely to ever happen.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
It is pretty ironic how the three characters with the biggest claims to being Nintendo All-Stars left (Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee) all have unfortunate circumstances surrounding them that normally should not have kept them out.
Not gonna lie, but I feel like Toad should've been the bonus character over Piranha Plant, although PP's inclusion pretty much destroys any argument against Bandana Dee, so I also feel content in a way.

Dixie Kong should've gotten in Smash a while ago.

RandomAdam

Smash Cadet
It's sad that now spirits deconfirm characters. I wish Banana Dee was in Smash but he's a spirit so there goes that idea

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I think Snake was a better indication of "everything is possible".
Snake was everything was possible, Sonic was confirming that everything is possible tbh. All the time as a kid I remember Machinimas about his inclusion going crazy on who could be in smash because Nintendo's rival mascot got in.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, but I feel like Toad should've been the bonus character over Piranha Plant, although PP's inclusion pretty much destroys any argument against Bandana Dee, so I also feel content in a way.

People still argue against Bandana Dee saying Plant's more Iconic and that he's a joke and Bandana Dee's not and even Etika joined the fight to stop the 4th main character of Kirby from joining just because he has a character design based on a common enemy. The only person who can stop the Bandana Dee hate at this point is Kumazaki himself.

It's sad that now spirits deconfirm characters. I wish Banana Dee was in Smash but he's a spirit so there goes that idea
I know! He was one of the few actual Nintendo All Stars left to be added but nope. We get a PNG file! Because that substitutes a fighter very well! Smh

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

PP was added entirely because Sakurai saw wacky moveset potential. Toad suffers from the same thing as Waluigi in the sense that you'd be adding him moreso because of his importance to the series rather than obvious moveset potential.

Not saying Toad couldn't be just as unique as PP, but you have to admit that the latter has plenty of attacks that no one but he could use. Most of Toad's potential attacks could be given to any Mario character really.

Forgive me if this was brought up before, but why are Spirits suddenly deconfirmations?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Forgive me if this was brought up before, but why are Spirits suddenly deconfirmations?
We can't have a character equip a spirit of themselves. What do you mean it can already happen with :ultbowser::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultyounglink::ultkrool::ultpit::ultsamus:?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Poor Bandana Dee, Dixie, and Toad. There needs to be a Nintendo All Star Not In Smash anonymous.

Bandana Dee, Dixie, and Toad would clearly be in it. Who else?
i would say chibi-robo but i might be the only one who thinks of him as a nintendo all star

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nah, that has nothing to do with her not being included yet. Hack, it took us 4 games to finally get K. Rool and he only got in because his performance was outstanding in the Smash Ballot. But in another universe where he was relevant or Rare was still with Nintendo, him and Dixie would have gotten into Melee or Brawl.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No, but he still got 7th on the Smash ballot. So maybe not an "All-Star," but certainly relevant.
That was Source Gaming's giant collective data poll you are talking about and is no way the actual Ballot results since Sakurai said Bayonetta and Castlevania did well in the Ballot and nether showed up high in that poll at all.

Facts: we don't know the true Ballot results.

Wait, how you know his placing in the ballot?
He doesn't, he got it from Source Gaming's giant collective data poll.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Rhymes with Paluigi.
i would say chibi-robo but i might be the only one who thinks of him as a nintendo all star
I'd maybe say Magolor. He's really popular in japan.
Waluigi, Chibi Robo and Magolor do indeed have merits of being added. Chibi Robo is the one I feel the worst for. I so, so, so wanted Zip Lash to be good, to save his franchise. Alas, it only delivered an experience that's not a true Chibi Robo experience, and thus alienated true fans of the series. Oh well, at least his Mii Costume proves Nintendo still thinks of him from time to time.

Waluigi and Magolor on the other hand face competition. Magolor probably has it hardest, since if a Kirby character is to be added, it almost certainly will be Bandana Dee, but Waluigi... Waluigi is a hard case to solve. I'd say Toad/Captain Toad is his biggest rival, but that's discounting Geno for being third party at heart, and even then, Waluigi, both forms of Toad, and Geno were all passed on in favor of a plant with almost no character. Such a strange case...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi, Chibi Robo and Magolor do indeed have merits of being added. Chibi Robo is the one I feel the worst for. I so, so, so wanted Zip Lash to be good, to save his franchise. Alas, it only delivered an experience that's not a true Chibi Robo experience, and thus alienated true fans of the series. Oh well, at least his Mii Costume proves Nintendo still thinks of him from time to time.
im gonna wait a couple more decades before i consider the series dormant let alone dead

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wait, how you know his placing in the ballot?
That was Source Gaming's giant collective data poll you are talking about and is no way the actual Ballot results since Sakurai said Bayonetta and Castlevania did well in the Ballot and nether showed up high in that poll at all.

Facts: we don't know the true Ballot results.
Yes I was referring to SG's ballot. IIRC it was the biggest one conducted, but I could be wrong.
Either way he's appeared top in multiple ballots.
ballot.png
alsoballot.png
According to this second ballot, BWD and Magolor were #1 and 2 in Japan, respectively.
ballot3.png
I tried to find the origins of this one but it seemed to be an updated/pooled version of SG's data. Either way, BWD and Magolor are 1 and 2 again.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes I was referring to SG's ballot. IIRC it was the biggest one conducted, but I could be wrong.
According to this second ballot, BWD and Magolor were #1 and 2 in Japan, respectively.
I tried to find the origins of this one but it seemed to be an updated/pooled version of SG's data. Either way, BWD and Magolor are 1 and 2 again.
Do you have a source for the second ballot? From what I can tell, the third ballot looks like Source Gaming's ballot with any confirmed characters/assist trophies removed, the percentages adjusted, and random characters added after Isaac. The second ballot seems pretty similar; I'm wondering where they're getting their claims that Isaac is the most popular choice in both the US and Europe.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Waluigi and Magolor on the other hand face competition. Magolor probably has it hardest, since if a Kirby character is to be added, it almost certainly will be Bandana Dee, but Waluigi... Waluigi is a hard case to solve. I'd say Toad/Captain Toad is his biggest rival, but that's discounting Geno for being third party at heart, and even then, Waluigi, both forms of Toad, and Geno were all passed on in favor of a plant with almost no character. Such a strange case...
Now that I think about it, Impa is another Nintendo All Star that's been MIA in Smash. Granted, her appearance in the Zelda games is always different, but lore wise, she's been with the series since Zelda 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
I was bored so I decided to make my own moveset for Bandee. Hope you enjoy!

Jab: Spear Thrust/Multispear Thrust
F tilt: Thrusts his spear foward
Dash A: Parasol Drill
Down A: Slide Kick
Up A: Skyward Thrust
N Air: Spins his spear toward the screen like a helicopter
F Air: Stabs forward twice
U Air: Spins his spear upwards like a helicopter
B Air: Opens his parasol behind him thus propelling him forwards
D Air: Moon Drop
F Smash: Lunges forward with his spear
U Smash: Rapidly stabs upward and the amount of stabs depends on how long you charge it up
D Smash: Windmill (Battle Royale)
Grab: Grabs opponent with his left hand(?)
Grab Attack: Uses his parasol in his right hand(?) to continuously bop the grabbed opponent on the head
F Throw: Bats away the opponent with his parasol
U Throw: Circus Throw
B Throw: Bats them backwards with his parasol
D Throw: Drills into the opponent with his parasol
Neutral B: Waddle Spear Throw (can be adjusted if held)
Forward B: Ground Thrust (skewers opponents and launches them at the end)
Up B: Waddle Copter (obviously)
Down B: Allows you to cycle through and choose one of the five elements from Star Allies to imbue your spear, but it wears off after awhile and you can't immediately choose another element
Final Smash: Throws a spear forward and anyone hit by it will be brought to Cookie Country where Bandee will sick the entirety of Dedede's army on them
Taunt 1: Drinks from a carton of apple juice
Taunt 2: Admires the shininess of his spear, then realizes he's still in a fight and resumes his usual stance
Taunt 3: Happily jumps around until his bandana falls on his face

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I was bored so I decided to make my own moveset for Bandee. Hope you enjoy!

Jab: Spear Thrust/Multispear Thrust
F tilt: Thrusts his spear foward
Dash A: Parasol Drill
Down A: Slide Kick
Up A: Skyward Thrust
N Air: Spins his spear toward the screen like a helicopter
F Air: Stabs forward twice
U Air: Spins his spear upwards like a helicopter
B Air: Opens his parasol behind him thus propelling him forwards
D Air: Moon Drop
F Smash: Lunges forward with his spear
U Smash: Rapidly stabs upward and how long they last depends on how long you charge it up
D Smash: Windmill (Battle Royale)
F Throw: Bats away the opponent with his parasol
U Throw: Balances them on his parasol before bumping them upwards
B Throw: Bats them backwards with his parasol
D Throw: Drills into the opponent with his parasol
Neutral B: Waddle Spear Throw (can be adjusted if held)
Forward B: Ground Thrust (skewers opponents and launches them at the end)
Up B: Waddle Copter (obviously)
Down B: Allows you to cycle through and choose one of the five elements from Star Allies to imbue your spear, but it wears off after awhile and you can't immediately choose another element
Final Smash: Throws a spear forward and anyone hit by it will be brought to Cookie Country where Bandee will sick the entirety of Dedede's army on them
Taunt 1: Drinks from a carton of apple juice
Taunt 2: Admires the shininess of his spear, then realizes he's still in a fight and resumes his usual stance
Taunt 3: Happily jumps around until his bandana falls on his face
That's basically how I would've imagined it, besides the Final Smash though.
Nice stuff!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Do you have a source for the second ballot? From what I can tell, the third ballot looks like Source Gaming's ballot with any confirmed characters/assist trophies removed, the percentages adjusted, and random characters added after Isaac. The second ballot seems pretty similar; I'm wondering where they're getting their claims that Isaac is the most popular choice in both the US and Europe.
The link is here, if you need it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Look at that! My boi Goemon at number 16 on that Japanese poll :cry:, I'm proud of my boi.

From what I've heard they gather the votes from a bunch of different polls online from US, Europe, and Japan to make a giant collective data poll for the world and those regions separately.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hopefully this bodes well for Bandana Dee.
Doesn't the 30 in the initial datamine include certain Alts like Gender Swaps, Advent Children, Bayonetta 1, Alph, Koopalings, etc in the count? Do we know if the 16 slots does the same?

Depends on what direction they'd take with em'

Fan-Favorites? He'd be a lock, bias aside.

Promotional Junk? Forget about it.
They're gonna go ALL promotional junk. Notice how only 3-5 of the fighters were Fan Favorites for Base Roster AND that the DLC for Smash 4 was all 3rd party and/or Promotional and Reggie implied that it was gonna be the same? Take that into account with the addition of Sakurai specifically telling fans to stop supporting their characters, and it's safe to say they're not taking the Fans into account for the Fighter Pass. Take that hope and throw it out the window... For Fighter Pass 1, at least. If Fighter Passes 2 or 3 will happen and we get a Fighter Ballot Round 2 or something, with a good amount of requests actually seeing the light of day, we might actually be more likely than Goku if Nintendo's higher-ups get a say in anything.

But all that's unlikely in and of itself, just for us to get more likely than Goku. Like Genos said, it all could just be a buffer and there are no more FPs. OR it could be another 10 Third Party and/or promotional characters who practically no one asked for. Or there could be no ballot revival. Or Bandana Dee could lose that ballot thanks to Gamexplain and their friends. Or Sakurai could still be the one with the final say and not swallow his pride. Or Bandana Dee could just be glossed over because he's a spirit (and is already deconfirmed). Most likely, it's gonna be 4 more 3rd parties no one asked for and that's it.

There are just too many hurdles for Bandana Dee to even have a chance, let alone actually be in. Much to the delight of the Marx and Gamexplain fandoms, Bandana Dee's still a lot less likely than Shrek and Goku.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Doesn't the 30 in the initial datamine include certain Alts like Gender Swaps, Advent Children, Bayonetta 1, Alph, Koopalings, etc in the count? Do we know if the 16 slots does the same?

They're gonna go ALL promotional junk. Notice how only 3-5 of the fighters were Fan Favorites for Base Roster AND that the DLC for Smash 4 was all 3rd party and/or Promotional and Reggie implied that it was gonna be the same? Take that into account with the addition of Sakurai specifically telling fans to stop supporting their characters, and it's safe to say they're not taking the Fans into account for the Fighter Pass. Take that hope and throw it out the window... For Fighter Pass 1, at least. If Fighter Passes 2 or 3 will happen and we get a Fighter Ballot Round 2 or something, with a good amount of requests actually seeing the light of day, we might actually be more likely than Goku if Nintendo's higher-ups get a say in anything.

But all that's unlikely in and of itself, just for us to get more likely than Goku. Like Genos said, it all could just be a buffer and there are no more FPs. OR it could be another 10 Third Party and/or promotional characters who practically no one asked for. Or there could be no ballot revival. Or Bandana Dee could lose that ballot thanks to Gamexplain and their friends. Or Sakurai could still be the one with the final say and not swallow his pride. Or Bandana Dee could just be glossed over because he's a spirit (and is already deconfirmed). Most likely, it's gonna be 4 more 3rd parties no one asked for and that's it.

There are just too many hurdles for Bandana Dee to even have a chance, let alone actually be in. Much to the delight of the Marx and Gamexplain fandoms, Bandana Dee's still a lot less likely than Shrek and Goku.
You still have not given a reason why Goku and Shrek especially will get in over Dee, despite Sakurai saying no 4th party characters on many occasions. Seriously, think about the negotiations that'll have to be done, why would they go through that hassle when they can put in Bandana Dee with little to no issues and still make alot of people happy?

Sakurai has never said people too stop supporting their favourite characters. He just didn't want his twitter to be spammed.

I thought we were all in agreement Spirits don't deconfirm and that they're the equivalent of trophies, if Nintendo wanted Dee in, a png would not prevent that.

All the characters are gonna be promotional junk? You don't know that. And it's not like Bandana can't be within that category as he still appears in games unlike othet fan favourites. Let's also not forget that 'Gamexplain and friends' are in a huge minority and that Ridley got in despite his hatebase. Bandana Dee isn't going to lose a ballot because of them. Pretty sure there wasn't even a proper ballot 'winner.' Bayonetta obviously wasn't number one, with the whole "realisable fighters" thing. It was basically just a suggestion box for Smash Ultimate in the end.

It baffles how after we get an even slightly suprising third-party, people like you immediately jump on the Goku and Shrek train. Seriously, compare Bandana Dee to Shrek with all their positives and negatives. You cannot convince us the ogre is likelier.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Depends on what direction they'd take with em'

Fan-Favorites? He'd be a lock, bias aside.

Promotional Junk? Forget about it.
It's gonna be promotional junk. IMO there's a high chance that the devs think that the base roster was the selection of "fan-favorites," and the DLC is going to be random jank and promotional content like Smash 4 was.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
You still have not given a reason why Goku and Shrek especially will get in over Dee, despite Sakurai saying no 4th party characters on many occasions. Seriously, think about the negotiations that'll have to be done, why would they go through that hassle when they can put in Bandana Dee with little to no issues and still make alot of people happy?

Sakurai has never said people too stop supporting their favourite characters. He just didn't want his twitter to be spammed.

I thought we were all in agreement Spirits don't deconfirm and that they're the equivalent of trophies, if Nintendo wanted Dee in, a png would not prevent that.

All the characters are gonna be promotional junk? You don't know that. And it's not like Bandana can't be within that category as he still appears in games unlike othet fan favourites. Let's also not forget that 'Gamexplain and friends' are in a huge minority and that Ridley got in despite his hatebase. Bandana Dee isn't going to lose a ballot because of them. Pretty sure there wasn't even a proper ballot 'winner.' Bayonetta obviously wasn't number one, with the whole "realisable fighters" thing. It was basically just a suggestion box for Smash Ultimate in the end.

It baffles how after we get an even slightly suprising third-party, people like you immediately jump on the Goku and Shrek train. Seriously, compare Bandana Dee to Shrek with all their positives and negatives. You cannot convince us the ogre is likelier.
Which sounds more likely for Sakurai to change his mind on? A character Sakurai said no to and may or may not like? Or a character Sakurai most likely hates? And for Shrek in particular: Sakrai said no MANGA characters. He never spoke against any character that isn't from a manga, so technically Cartoon and Movie characters are still in the running. Obviously they're not gonna get in, but again, they have a better chance than someone Sakurai has an active vendetta against.

What you said about Sakurai's tweet may be true, but the point that he doesn't want to hear any of it remains.

I doubt that you could call Bandana Dee promotional, since Star Allies released over a year ago, and you're not gonna wanna promote a game that's been out for way more than a year by the time a theoretical Bandana Dee DLC would be released.

The thing with Ridley's hatebase not mattering is that Sakurai didn't hate Ridley himself. His issues with him were development-based, rather than bias-based. If he knew how to work around it beforehand, Ridley probably would have been in before Ultimate. Sakurai hates Bandana Dee. And like you said, Sakurai chose fighters based on the ballot. Sakurai can simply not choose Bandana Dee.

This has nothing to do with a slightly surprising 3rd party. It's moreso Reggie's words implying that the DLC is all gonna be 3rd parties who never appeared in the series at all up to this point (with maybe 1 Nintendo promotion) just like Smash 4 and that Sakurai still has a vendetta against Modern Kirby. Obviously Shrek's not getting in, but with a longstanding beef against Bandana Dee, and the loophole in Sakurai's words, who's really more unlikely?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
It's gonna be promotional junk. IMO there's a high chance that the devs think that the base roster was the selection of "fan-favorites," and the DLC is going to be random jank and promotional content like Smash 4 was.
That's an unfortunate probability.

Also, I guess I should clarify that "promotional junk" isn't directed towards characters themselves, but rather for the reason that they've been put in. (Like Corrin, although I heard that he wasn't even a good character in general, aside from his female counterpart.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which sounds more likely for Sakurai to change his mind on? A character Sakurai said no to and may or may not like? Or a character Sakurai most likely hates? And for Shrek in particular: Sakrai said no MANGA characters. He never spoke against any character that isn't from a manga, so technically Cartoon and Movie characters are still in the running. Obviously they're not gonna get in, but again, they have a better chance than someone Sakurai has an active vendetta against.

What you said about Sakurai's tweet may be true, but the point that he doesn't want to hear any of it remains.

I doubt that you could call Bandana Dee promotional, since Star Allies released over a year ago, and you're not gonna wanna promote a game that's been out for way more than a year by the time a theoretical Bandana Dee DLC would be released.

The thing with Ridley's hatebase not mattering is that Sakurai didn't hate Ridley himself. His issues with him were development-based, rather than bias-based. If he knew how to work around it beforehand, Ridley probably would have been in before Ultimate. Sakurai hates Bandana Dee. And like you said, Sakurai chose fighters based on the ballot. Sakurai can simply not choose Bandana Dee.

This has nothing to do with a slightly surprising 3rd party. It's moreso Reggie's words implying that the DLC is all gonna be 3rd parties who never appeared in the series at all up to this point (with maybe 1 Nintendo promotion) just like Smash 4 and that Sakurai still has a vendetta against Modern Kirby. Obviously Shrek's not getting in, but with a longstanding beef against Bandana Dee, and the loophole in Sakurai's words, who's really more unlikely?
Unless you have the evidence that Sakuai personally hates Bandana Dee and/or modern Kirby games, what you are doing isn't anything more than baseless slander and doesn't deserve to be answered like a legitimate argument.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't think Sakurai hates modern Kirby, and even if he does, I think he's more likely to put his bias aside than to include ****ing Shrek.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Not to change the subject, but we got another smash game where Meta Knight AND King Dedede are way better than Kirby. I feel he really needs a moveset revamp or something. By the way, I don't believe Sakurai dislikes modern Kirby; I think it is more of a bigger thing altogether. Something about preferences.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai doesn't dislike modern Kirby, but it's obvious that the modern Kirby content in Smash pales in comparison to the old Kirby content. That's not a sign of dislike or bias, just speculation.

And honestly can we be realistic for one second BWD will get into Smash one day, and certainly a long time before Shrek and Goku do.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
My biggest concern at the moment isn't Goku or Shrek getting a playable status before Bandana Dee, it's seeing Marx get playable status before Bandana Dee. Nothing against Marx, but I don't want to see another excuse to add Super Star content to the game when Dee is just as, if not, more deserving.

Also, Marx being a boss doesn't instantly disqualify him as a playable character. Bowser and Ganondorf appear in the cutscenes before transforming into Giga Bowser and Ganon respectively. We could easily get Marx's first form as playable.

Top Bottom