• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
If that'll stop people from calling him boring and uninspired, then I'd welcome it wholeheartedly.
If pro-Smashers feel that K. Rool needs a buff instead of a nerf, despite everything that's been said about him, then so be it.
Fair enough. I'd probably make it do chip damage (like Fox's blaster) just so there's some sort of balance.

Mm, I do feel like they could tone it down to make it good enough for Smash, not too OP, but good enough to be an interesting gimmick

As for feeling too similar to Shulk ... Well, I guess that's fair, one special that change the element of the Spear, even if it's handled totally differently from what Shulk can do, I do get your point

Another solution would be what you just said, when taking damage, he gets his Spear into the element of the attack, but how about it work as some kind of counter ? When countering an attack, he gets a random elements, if the attack in question have a specific effect on it, he get this one for sure on his Spear, that would work nicely I think, and a new kind of counter could be interesting after what they did for Inceneroar
Having it as a counter would be interesting. Just have it not be limited to a single attack like Incineroar and there you go. Combine that with the idea of chip damage I mentioned earlier and you have a reason for Bandana Dee's opponents to be careful in order to make sure they don't accidentally trigger the elemental buffs for Bandana Dee and make the match harder for them. Edit: Combine that with a Bandana Dee spear tipper and you got a potential High-tier.

"He'd have a bland moveset!": I think that if the fact that we don't have a single spear user in Smash isn't enough, we just found a way to make Bandana Dee even more unique.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
OK, I was gone for a week, sorry guys....? What's new?

Also, quick question: How would you guys feel if BWD's moveset took some inspiration from the Staff ability in Star Allies? Just a thought.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I think I have a loose theory as to why people still tend to dislike BWD on GameFaqs and the like: They don't like weapon characters.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think I have a loose theory as to why people still tend to dislike BWD on GameFaqs and the like: They don't like weapon characters.
I wouldn't say that. It's just that they hate fan favorites and will relentlessly bash on them, unless it's someone else who steals the slot from a more deserving fan favorite, like Marx (Bandana Dee) or Steve (Banjo-Kazooie and Indie Reps like Shantae and Shovel Knight). Edit: Steve, the favorite of GameFAQs, is a weapon user, so there's that.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I wouldn't say that. It's just that they hate fan favorites and will relentlessly bash on them, unless it's someone else who steals the slot from a more deserving fan favorite, like Marx (Bandana Dee) or Steve (Banjo-Kazooie and Indie Reps like Shantae and Shovel Knight). Edit: Steve, the favorite of GameFAQs, is a weapon user, so there's that.
Mhm, I've noticed someone like Marx being a consistent counter-pick to Bandana Dee, and I can certainly tell that some people who want him are only jumping on the bandwagon trend of spiting Bandana Dee.

Thankfully, not all Marx fans or fans of specific other characters are like that, but it seems that an annoyingly prominent amount of spite has risen towards Bandana Dee over the past months.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Mhm, I've noticed someone like Marx being a consistent counter-pick to Bandana Dee, and I can certainly tell that some people who want him are only jumping on the bandwagon trend of spiting Bandana Dee.

Thankfully, not all Marx fans or fans of specific other characters are like that, but it seems that an annoyingly prominent amount of spite has risen towards Bandana Dee over the past months.
Yeah. The fact that the ONE person who is in control of the character choices doesn't help at all. Next game, if Sakurai isn't director, Marx will be a shoe-in. Of all the characters to steal Bandana Dee's slot, it HAD to be the ONLY ONE that ENABLES Sakurai's Bias against modern Kirby! Goodbye, Another Dimension Stage! Goodbye, Three Mage Sisters AT, Goodbye, Bandana Dee! Hello to EVEN MORE SUPERSTAR! Good thing Kirby didn't have a game since 2003!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I don't get it when people counter-pick BWD with Marx. Who said Kirby can only get one newcomer? Why not have both, and more?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Fair enough. But I still don't get the notion that Kirby can only ever have one newcomer at this point.
I'll be satisfied with Kirby representation once BWD gets in. After that, the main Kirby characters will all be there, protagonists and antagonists. I wouldn't be opposed to more newcomers afterwards, but I'll be satisfied with what they have then.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
If Bandana Dee were to somehow get in with an Assist Trophy and Stage, what would you guys give him?

I'll be satisfied with Kirby representation once BWD gets in. After that, the main Kirby characters will all be there, protagonists and antagonists. I wouldn't be opposed to more newcomers afterwards, but I'll be satisfied with what they have then.
Yeah. For the actual Kirby fans who have been waiting for 1: The main cast of Kirby to finally be complete and 2: for Modern Kirby (and Non-Sakurai Kirby in general) to finally be represented with characters and stages (or anything meaningful besides Final Smashes, for that matter), Marx would be just a spit in the face.
It'd be like putting a Mario One-Off villain like Tatanga, Cackletta or Smithy in before a series mainstay like Yoshi or Toad just because they made a recent bonus appearance in a game that Yoshi/Toad was also in and that said series mainstays are "members of a generic species", despite being important characters in their own right.
Edit: I know Yoshi's been in since the beginning, but it's just for argument's sake.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Settle down, there's a Kirby game remake coming early next month.

DnAaIvCU8AAHS5f.jpg

Also, I'm of the view that Marx will only remain a boss in Sakurai's eyes. If Ridley took eons just to stop being a boss or cameo, what chance does the jester even have? Also, strange aversion to purple characters, do they remind him of eggplants?

Plus, game creators in general are more comfortable using their own creations rather than other people's stuff (which is why Kumazaki bringing back Shimomura's characters in earnest is so bizarre, given that the latter has completely disappeared since the start of the millenium (Coincidentally, the last thing Shimomura ever directed was a remake of a Sakurai Kirby entry) ).

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Settle down, there's a Kirby game remake coming early next month.

View attachment 194347

Also, I'm of the view that Marx will only remain a boss in Sakurai's eyes. If Ridley took eons just to stop being a boss or cameo, what chance does the jester even have? Also, strange aversion to purple characters, do they remind him of eggplants?

Plus, game creators in general are more comfortable using their own creations rather than other people's stuff (which is why Kumazaki bringing back Shimomura's characters in earnest is so bizarre, given that the latter has completely disappeared since the start of the millenium (Coincidentally, the last thing Shimomura ever directed was a remake of a Sakurai Kirby entry) ).
If Kumazaki directed Smash Bros, would there be a bias FOR Kirby rather than the opposite?
I mean, I doubt people would care that much since Kirby has grown to have a wide range of characters with interesting designs, personality, and moves along with a colorful, creative world that they reside in.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If Kumazaki directed Smash Bros, would there be a bias FOR Kirby rather than the opposite?
I mean, I doubt people would care that much since Kirby has grown to have a wide range of characters with interesting designs, personality, and moves along with a colorful, creative world that they reside in.
That depends, what else has Kumazaki worked on?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So far we can only dream of such. But in the meantime we have to put up with the uneducated kids who say "Kirby is fine with what it has" "BWD is a hat goomba" "Sakurai was biased toward Kirby in the past" and other nonsense.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
If Bandana Dee were to somehow get in with an Assist Trophy and Stage, what would you guys give him?
Megaton Punch should definitely be the stage.
AT could be any number of characters, but I'd go with Bugzzy.
Fair enough. But I still don't get the notion that Kirby can only ever have one newcomer at this point.
More than one newcomer is justifiable, but the problem is that BWD's merits are much higher than pretty much any other Kirby character. None of the others have his level of popularity, consistency, and relevance, meaning the topic of a fifth Kirby rep would be heavily divisive.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I would more go for Another Dimension for the stages ! Side Scrolling stage with at the end, Magolor Soul as a boss, how cool would that be !
As for the AT ... Mmmmm ... Adelaine would be the perfect AT for the series, she is THE support character of Kirby after all ! Painting food or Painting Bosses to help you in two different way in battle !

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Assist Trophy: Star Dream (would attack players from the background with moves that were utilized during the Final Battle from Robobot)

Stage: Starcutter Tour (via the Lor Starcutter (with Magolor peeking in on the battle) fighters will be transported to a couple of areas in the Kirby Universe in which they'll battle on for a while until the Lor picks them up again. Occasionally, fighters will be able to enjoy the aesthetic of the Another Dimension realm as they're traveling from place to place

Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Approximately...

Nothing aside from Boxboy comics, if IMDB is accurate. The guy lives and breathes Kirby. Although he does apparently own his own art website.
..full of eldritch horrors.
I've seen Kumazaki's art not too long ago and it's amazing! For those who've never seen it here's his Gijinka version of Taranza (It's officially canon now, you know I'm right :p):
Taranza - 'Cry Silver Bobbed' (found by @noddybee).jpg

Which is weird when considering he looks like this...

KSA Wave 3; Taranza artwork (Final clear render).png

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I just had an idea. What if HAL and Nintendo released amiibos for every dream friend? And when you scan them on the main menu screen, they give you concept art from their respective games, but if you scan them in a stage in story mode, Kirby gets a costume based on the respective dream friend and also gains their abilities! How does this sound?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Guys, I just had an idea. What if HAL and Nintendo released amiibos for every dream friend? And when you scan them on the main menu screen, they give you concept art from their respective games, but if you scan them in a stage in story mode, Kirby gets a costume based on the respective dream friend and also gains their abilities! How does this sound?
I don't know; it would make sense, since they made a separate line-up for Kirby characters, but I wouldn't want to see it turn out like another Animal Crossing amiibo situation, where they just sit on the shelves. I could see people buying amiibo figures for Marx or Rick/Kine/Coo, sure (there's nostalgia there), but what about Taranza or Dark Meta Knight?

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
I don't know; it would make sense, since they made a separate line-up for Kirby characters, but I wouldn't want to see it turn out like another Animal Crossing amiibo situation, where they just sit on the shelves. I could see people buying amiibo figures for Marx or Rick/Kine/Coo, sure (there's nostalgia there), but what about Taranza or Dark Meta Knight?
I'd buy em. :p Okay but how about this. What if they all come in three-packs like the splatoon amiibos? The packs would be ordered by waves:
Wave 1 pack: Animal Buddies, Marx, and Gooey
Wave 2 pack: Adeleine/Ribbon, Dark MK, and Daroach
Wave 3 pack: Magolor, Taranza, and Susie
The Three Mage Sisters would have their own pack and would each have their own amiibo
Bandana Dee would be on his own

This way, every character will have equal marketing ground, and I believe Bandana Dee is a popular enough character to stand on his own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom