• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

osby

Smash Obsessed
What do you guys think about the power struggle in the smash fanbase with x character does or doesn't deserve to be in smash.
and listing them A+, A, B, b, C, c and f on character rep sounds a little dumb to me.
It's one of the biggest downsides of the speculation for me. A character's inclusion always is an insult to another character, vice versa. It's tiring.

Also it makes talking about Zelda and Fire Emblem characters boring because nobody discusses characters themselves. Every talks about what they hold at their hand and whether they have Triforce or not.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you guys think about the power struggle in the smash fanbase with x character does or doesn't deserve to be in smash.
and listing them A+, A, B, b, C, c and f on character rep sounds a little dumb to me.
i think its daft as whos deserving is purely speculative and should be forgotten about as at this point most of us have probably had characters we thought were deserving left out and ones we thought undeserving put in

Also it makes talking about Zelda and Fire Emblem characters boring because nobody discusses characters themselves. Every talks about what they hold at their hand and whether they have Triforce or not.
i could happily talk for hours about the merits of any zelda character

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's one of the biggest downsides of the speculation for me. A character's inclusion always is an insult to another character, vice versa. It's tiring.

Hey, my support for Vaati has nothing to do with the Triforce. I just want an airbender in Smash.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if we're still on the detractor/supporter thing or not, but I don't think people on the internet who like/dislike Bandana Dee really matter in the end.

I mean, if it did, Chrom would never have made it in with everyone complaining about all the Fire Emblem characters there were in the game. It really comes down to Sakurai in the end. Who, on that note, seems to be more of a Modern Kirby detractor than anything, he doesn't seem to have anything against Bandana Dee outside of that.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if we're still on the detractor/supporter thing or not, but I don't think people on the internet who like/dislike Bandana Dee really matter in the end.

I mean, if it did, Chrom would never have made it in with everyone complaining about all the Fire Emblem characters there were in the game. It really comes down to Sakurai in the end. Who, on that note, seems to be more of a Modern Kirby detractor than anything, he doesn't seem to have anything against Bandana Dee outside of that.
Yes, but the one person who has a say in whether or not you get in having a vendetta against your games (Edit: to the point in which you get shafted 4 times in a row despite being part of one of Nintendo's most important franchises) pretty much makes you less likely than Shrek and Goku in and of itself.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Yes, but the one person who has a say in whether or not you get in having a vendetta against your games (Edit: to the point in which you get shafted 4 times in a row despite being part of one of Nintendo's most important franchises) pretty much makes you less likely than Shrek and Goku in and of itself.
Technically Nintendo had the DLC choice this time around, and he still got passed over. Sakurai might only be part of the issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Technically Nintendo had the DLC choice this time around, and he still got passed over. Sakurai might only be part of the issue.
...How do we know he got passed over? Spirits don't really mean anything, as characters have fighter spirits and generic spirits as is.

All that we know is they're unexpected. Bandanna Waddle Dee doesn't even have a major gameplay role like AT, Boss, Hazard(or Stage element) or even appear in a moveset. Seems more like he's just another favorite of Sakurai's team who was added a Spirit, which was up to the team, and had little to do with what character was playable. Them having a more unique name was just a smart thing to do. Besides that, they can change the name of a non-fighter spirit to fit the situation. It's not a severe amount of work either. You don't even have to change the file name, just the display of the name. Of course, if every single spirit has its own character name, it makes sense to change up the Non-fighter spirits to fit whatever the situation is.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
...How do we know he got passed over? Spirits don't really mean anything, as characters have fighter spirits and generic spirits as is.

All that we know is they're unexpected. Bandanna Waddle Dee doesn't even have a major gameplay role like AT, Boss, Hazard(or Stage element) or even appear in a moveset. Seems more like he's just another favorite of Sakurai's team who was added a Spirit, which was up to the team, and had little to do with what character was playable. Them having a more unique name was just a smart thing to do. Besides that, they can change the name of a non-fighter spirit to fit the situation. It's not a severe amount of work either. You don't even have to change the file name, just the display of the name. Of course, if every single spirit has its own character name, it makes sense to change up the Non-fighter spirits to fit whatever the situation is.
I said this before, with Rex being a mii fighter and the first newcomer being totally unexpected....it seems more likely that spirit's don't deconfirm but the first wave of DLC won't see any redundancies. A second or third wave, however, and now that's up for serious speculation.

But that's just me. I hope I'm wrong.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I said this before, with Rex being a mii fighter and the first newcomer being totally unexpected....it seems more likely that spirit's don't deconfirm but the first wave of DLC won't see any redundancies. A second or third wave, however, and now that's up for serious speculation.

But that's just me. I hope I'm wrong.
That's assuming that 1: There even is a Wave 2 or 3 and 2: That they won't run out of characters that aren't already in the game. Both of which seem unlikely.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So I've heard Nintendo has a game or two that we don't know about yet, on top of some private videos on their YouTube channel. Might be getting a direct soon, and on top of that...

Confirmation as to who Brave is.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I've heard Nintendo has a game or two that we don't know about yet, on top of some private videos on their YouTube channel. Might be getting a direct soon, and on top of that...

Confirmation as to who Brave is.
I'm listening...

Go on. Go on...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm sorry? Where did you get this from?
I'm listening...

Go on. Go on...
A Nintendo employee tweeted a picture of Erdrick's shield from Dragon Quest captioned "The Brave's Shield," and unless this is a stupid coincidence or Nintendo's just trolling, this means Erdrick is our second DLC fighter (which is really lame)

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
A Nintendo employee tweeted a picture of Erdrick's shield from Dragon Quest captioned "The Brave's Shield," and unless this is a stupid coincidence or Nintendo's just trolling, this means Erdrick is our second DLC fighter (which is really lame)
That employee just likes to take pictures of things he likes with Kirby infront of them. Holds about as much weight as that 'dig' tweet.

I am curious about the privated videos tho.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
New here. I'm honestly kinda not very sure about Bandana Dee. I understand that he is getting very visible in recent days, but I still don't know if I like him as a character.

If refering to the general Kirby's dream friends acknowledged officially, Bandana Dee is not a very old in the general Kirby series history. His introduction in Super Star Ultra and Return to Dream Land was more like "he is one of the waddle dees and King Dedede's minions and there's no further story you need to know about him". It feels like Nintendo really wanted to insert a recurring seat for a waddle dee when they decided the fourth slot of playable Kirby character. In other words, it;s like "waddle dees are the iconics", not that "Bandana is iconic".

Personally I understand that Bandana Dee, in today's view, is indeed the most possible candidate as the fourth Kirby rep in Smash 5 as DLC or in future titles. But if the fame goes to other Kirby veterans like Marx, Ribbon or Rick, I don't feel like any of them robbed the chance from Bandana Dee.

Sorry if the statement displeases Bandana Dee's fans. If there's any misunderstanding above, please corret me.

Wart and Tatanga would be very cool retro characters to get into Smash someday. I think Wart would deserve it because of how much Doki Doki Panic changed the Mario series by including Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo. Think about it, could you imagine how different Super Mario 64 would be without the iconic Bob-Omb Battlefield and King Bob-Omb? I don't..
Unfortunately it's more like the villains, despite had roles in early Super Mario titles, still need a return in Mario games first. Even KingBoo at least make more visible appearances in recent games as Mario's rival.

When we say retro characters it should be like from retro games or series as well. Mario series is obviously not discontinued decades ago.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unfortunately it's more like the villains, despite had roles in early Super Mario titles, still need a return in Mario games first. Even KingBoo at least make more visible appearances in recent games as Mario's rival.

When we say retro characters it should be like from retro games or series as well. Mario series is obviously not discontinued decades ago.
You heard about what I said about how different the Mario games would be without their games? That's enough for them to get in to be honest. Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't even a Mario game so Shy Guys, Birdo, and Bob-Ombs are not actually Mario characters.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
You heard about what I said about how different the Mario games would be without their games? That's enough for them to get in to be honest.
I understand what you mean, but like mentioned in other threads, I think they should also make some return in Mario games as well to show that they still live in the current canon and have potential to show up in more games to compete with Bowser and KingBoo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I understand what you mean, but like mentioned in other threads, I think they should also make some return in Mario games as well to show that they still live in the current canon and have potential to stick to the current main cast.
Shy Guys, Birdo, and Bob-Ombs were originaly not Mario chalaracters and are now treated as ones. Wart and the other bosses from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 should return as Mario characters and the best way for that is for Wart to get into the Smash roster.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Shy Guys, Birdo, and Bob-Ombs were originaly not Mario chalaracters and are now treated as ones. Wart and the other bosses from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 should return as Mario characters and the best way for that is for Wart to get into the Smash roster.
Uhm... yeah, I see what you mean at first but how did you jump to the conclusion that Wart needs to be in Smash?

Not to be offtopic, at least I think Kirby series at least gave Marx a try as dream friend. By your words Marx would had to be immediately inserted in Smash as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Uhm... yeah, I see what you mean at first but how did you jump to the conclusion that Wart needs to be in Smash?
Smash brought back :ultpit: and :ultkrool:from the dead. :ultpit: got a new game after his inclusion in Brawl and :ultkrool:is very likely going to return to the DKC series sometime in the very near future. So Smash is a great way to bring back dead characters.

Edit: No Nintendo series is as important and big as Mario. A normal enemy like :ultpiranha: getting in is proof of that.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Smash brought back :ultpit: and :ultkrool:from the dead. :ultpit: got a new game after his inclusion in Brawl and :ultkrool:is very likely going to return to the DKC series sometime in the very near future. So Smash is a great way to bring back dead characters.
The very major reason I would say "no" is that this theory can be applied to any single ignored or long time no see characters, there might be more than thirty iconic characters before GC era. If they can all be candidates by your theory, the Smash roster would never be done.

Let's be realistic, some of those characters are ignored likely because of intentional decisions. If Nintendo already don't think they give extra values to the franchise and keep them, it's hard to imagine they would suddenly treat them as significant characters in Smash bros.

More precisely, I just think if Mario directors are really aware of this, they should volunteerly to make those past characters return. After all Smash's director is currently Sakurai, and directors of other series still make their own decisions. Just like I'm sure without your boost theory, or even if KingKRool didn't make it to Smash (maybe Dixie instead), still he should really had been to Donkey Kong Returns or a Mario Kart game already. Which is why I acknowledged Kirby's move in dream friends.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The very major reason I would say "no" is that this theory can be applied to any single ignored or long time no see characters, there might be more than thirty iconic characters before GC era. If they can all be candidates by your theory, the Smash roster would never be done.

Let's be realistic, some of those characters are ignored likely because of intentional decisions. If Nintendo already don't think they give extra values to the franchise and keep them, it's hard to imagine they would suddenly treat them as previous guests in Smash bros.

More precisely, I just think if Mario directors are really aware of this, they should volunteerly to make those retro characters return. After all Smash's director is currently Sakurai, and directors of other series still make their own decisions. Just like I'm sure without your boost theory, KingKrool should really had been to Donkey Kong Returns or a Mario Kart game already.
Like I said ''No Nintendo series is as important and big as Mario. A normal enemy like :ultpiranha: is proof of that.'' And besides :ultgnw:, all the other retro reps are NES characters so that would increase somebody like Wart's chances.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Let's be realistic, some of those characters are ignored likely because of intentional decisions. If Nintendo already don't think they give extra values to the franchise and keep them, it's hard to imagine they would suddenly treat them as previous guests in Smash bros.

More precisely, I just think if Mario directors are really aware of this, they should volunteerly to make those retro characters return. After all Smash's director is currently Sakurai, and directors of other series still make their own decisions. Just like I'm sure without your boost theory, KingKrool should really had been to Donkey Kong Returns or a Mario Kart game already.
I think I see what you're trying to say. It would benefit the Mario franchise if Smash recognized some of the preliminary days of its success. Since a good amount of Mario characters/symbols originated from spinoff/non-canon games, incorporating them into Smash would get players to understand the history of the series. Unless I misunderstood you somehow.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Like I said ''No Nintendo series is as important and big as Mario. A normal enemy like :ultpiranha: is proof of that.'' And besides :ultgnw:, all the other retro reps are NES characters so that would increase somebody like Wart's chances.
I think in this forum it is not good to make examples of irrelevant franchises or franchises that don't work in a similiar system. Mr G&W works for his own role, he is not part of any ongoing big franchise to begin with.

I think I see what you're trying to say. It would benefit the Mario franchise if Smash recognized some of the preliminary days of its success. Since a good amount of Mario characters/symbols originated from spinoff/non-canon games, incorporating them into Smash would get players to understand the history of the series. Unless I misunderstood you somehow.
Well, in a comparative view, some other candidates are like having been significant since the early times and they're still very active in new games. It would be weird to use the term "retro" to cover up the fact that those characters are actually "neglected" and we fans just want them to have some care.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mr G&W works for his own role, he is not part of any ongoing big franchise to begin with.
I said he was a retro rep, not part of a on going franchise. He was part of Nintendo's first portable console so he represents Nintendo's history. Wart or any enemy or boss from Doki Doki Panic would be representing Nintendo history in Smash if included.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I said he was a retro rep, not part of a on going franchise. He was part of Nintendo's first portable console so he represents Nintendo's history. Wart or any enemy or boss from Doki Doki Panic would be representing Nintendo history in Smash if included.
Sorry if I misunderstood your words. Just I'm not sure if DokiDoki Panic, as an independent game, would be qualified in this case if it's not considered a brotherhood franchise to Mario. Especially the original copy was Japan-exclusive and Nintendo might not want to mention it in Smash such a worldwide game, espeically we haven't seen Wart as stickers or trophies.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sorry if I misunderstood your words. Just I'm not sure if DokiDoki Panic, as an independent game, would be qualified in this case if it's not considered a brotherhood franchise to Mario. Especially the original copy was Japan-exclusive .
Without NOA bringing Doki Doki Panic over here as Super Mario Bros. 2, Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo wouldn't be in the Mario games. Could you imagine Super Mario 64 without the iconic Bob-Omb Battlefield and King Bob-Omb? Or to a lesser extent Paper Mario without Shy Guys Toy Box? The series would be very different without those enemies.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I am calling BDee as the third DeeLC character. maybe I am raising my hopes, but I don't care. I just want him in.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It's always better to think positive whether than negative when it cames to your hopes and dreams for anything.
That's where I have to disagree. If you think positively, you'll end up setting yourself for disappointment and you'll get nothing of positive value. If you go in with a negative mindset, you'll either be left slightly disappointed, since you saw the negative outcome coming, or in the rare event of a positive outcome, you'll be even happier, because not only will you get what you were hoping for, but your low expectations will also be greatly surpassed.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I am calling BDee as the third DeeLC character. maybe I am raising my hopes, but I don't care. I just want him in.
It's kinda weird, but I feel the same way.
I thought I'd drop any sign of hope for him once he was revealed as a Spirit, and when Joker apparently set the standards for the DLC.
Yet, I feel that Sakurai could still throw us Kirby fans a bone if he really wanted to. That is, if Nintendo even considered him for DLC...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It's kinda weird, but I feel the same way.
I thought I'd drop any sign of hope for him once he was revealed as a Spirit, and when Joker apparently set the standards for the DLC.
Yet, I feel that Sakurai could still throw us Kirby fans a bone if he really wanted to. That is, if Nintendo even considered him for DLC...
But Sakurai NEVER throws Kirby fans a bone, let alone modern ones. We thought he swallowed his pride after E3, but after SS beat Modern again, I'm fully convinced that Sakurai bias has no chance of stopping, so I just abandoned all hope for not only DLC, but for next Smash game (assuming there is one) as well.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm sorry? Where did you get this from?
I'm listening...

Go on. Go on...
Oh, sorry for taking so long, classes and all.

Anyways, about those videos. I didn't see them myself, but a friend of mine sent me a twitter post about Nintendo of Germany having 6 private videos.
https://twitter.com/digidriver/status/1092527824232165377?s=21

Anyways, as for the secret games, I'm not gonna put too much stock into them, as I'm not too familiar with this news site. I'll post the link, but I'm a bit more cautious on this one. Regardless, I felt it was important to bring up just on the off chance something does indeed happen.
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-has-a-secret-2019-game-that-will-delight-fans

Edit: Hmm, that tweet seems to have been taken down for whatever reason. Regardless, I'll post the picture that came with it.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But Sakurai NEVER throws Kirby fans a bone, let alone modern ones. We thought he swallowed his pride after E3, but after SS beat Modern again, I'm fully convinced that Sakurai bias has no chance of stopping, so I just abandoned all hope for not only DLC, but for next Smash game (assuming there is one) as well.
I swear on my life if Smash 6 has this lame pattern of pushing aside Kirby content I'm going to make a subreddit dedicated simply for promoting new Kirby content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if sakurai would ok of including a modern day kirby character if he/she was representing a hypothetical series of their own?

Top Bottom