• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I heard from someone Waddle Dee is missing in Dedede victory animation
It is, which furthers the theories that he's DeeLC. He's also absent from Dedede's final smash, whereas Bandana Dee can be seen in the background in KSSU. I have a theory he was decided early on but planned to be DeeLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It is, which furthers the theories that he's DeeLC. He's also absent from Dedede's final smash, whereas Bandana Dee can be seen in the background in KSSU. I have a theory he was decided early on but planned to be DeeLC.
On that note, I have this silly idea of the Kirby cast having a welcoming party for him...and you can notice that the banner has Banner and Banana above Bandana.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So um, do we have any footage of Solo Dedede winning, because Waddle Dee might not be in this because it's team

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No. Nintendo and Intelligent wanted to boost Fates' sales since it was poorly constructed, so they forced pressured Sakurai into adding the Corrins, which ended up over-hyping the game and creating an even bigger stigma against Fire Emblem.
id read it was the smash development team that begged sakurai to add corrin as it was the game theyd all been playing

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, how would you react if the DLC character was a Waddle Dee without the Bandanna?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Went over this in the Geno thread but when Nintendo's given the keys to the bus, they almost always choose characters for promotional reasons. Corrin was released the same month as Fates NA release. Roy was released about 3 months before the Binding Blade. Nintendo included ads with all the veterans that were revealed from E3 2013 to E3 2014. I think you guys are good because Bandana Dee already has two "payout" games that any schmo could go out and find at Walmart with little effort: Star Allies and Battle Royale. "Oh, you like this guy? Buy these two games!"

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Nintendo had full decision, it’s probably all third parties. Corporate synergy and such. My worst fears confirmed...
It seems like it could go either way. On one hand, they might go with first party characters because they'll get 100% of the profits. On the other hand, they might go with third party characters to promote closer ties with other developers.

I figure it's likely going to be a mix of both.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Question, how would you react if the DLC character was a Waddle Dee without the Bandanna?
Not going into detail, but I'll just leave it at this:
"I thought Piranha plant was a one-time thing, like a joke character."
I would be pretty sad. Like, I love Waddle Dees in general, but I don't really like the idea of just a regular waddle dee getting in over Bandana boy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The logical choice would be to include the Bandana and recolor it for alts, even if the name is just paired down to Waddle Dee instead of Bandanna Dee or Bandanna Waddle Dee.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's not what happened at all. Sakurai's team wanted a promotional character, and they picked Corrin because of moveset potential, not Nintendo. Corrin was also popular in Japan at the time because Fates had been out at least a year at this point and was doing very well.
FE Fates was released in June 2015 and the character was announced in December. Based on datamining, work was done on Corrin since at least April.

So I doubt he was included because he was popular in Japan... because his game wasn't even out when he was included!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
FE Fates was released in June 2015 and the character was announced in December. Based on datamining, work was done on Corrin since at least April.

So I doubt he was included because he was popular in Japan... because his game wasn't even out when he was included!
Maybe I got my stories mixed up, but I could've sworn it had to do with the team convincing Sakurai because they themselves liked the game.

I mean for what it's worth, I don't like the game (as a moveset though Corrin is cool).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Maybe I got my stories mixed up, but I could've sworn it had to do with the team convincing Sakurai because they themselves liked the game.

I mean for what it's worth, I don't like the game (as a moveset though Corrin is cool).
No. They wanted to promote fates. They worked on Corrin before the release.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If he still wields a spear: I’d be weirded out, and kind of pissed that we got another non-character, but mostly weirded out because they still would have taken inspiration.
If he doesn’t wield a spear: you had one job Nintendo. You got thrown a rope and instead of pulling yourself up, you made a noose.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I'd be kinda weirded out. If one wants a Waddle Dee playable, why pick a generic one when one is a member of the big 4 of the series and is highly requested?

On the "Nintendo chose the DLC" thing, I think it might be very profitable to Bandana Dee. His chances were kinda high already: he most likely scored very high on the ballot. He is insanely marketable especially in Japan who is head over heels for Waddle Dees. His conspicuous absence anywhere in what we know about the game would be explained if we was planned as a DLC fighter a while ago.

But he is also free of charges unlike most of its competitors, being one of the very few first parties left. I am quite sure Nintendo will not have ALL FIVE characters third parties, since they would lose quite a chunk of the profit, and BWD is one of the most popular Nintendo characters that did not bite the dust last week. Besides, from a marketing standpoint, BWD would likely promote the newest Kirby games, which are sorely underrepresented in Smash.

Things are looking up, BrigaDeers!

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

(Male) Corrin is actaully the only post FE5 character to not make it in the top rankings for the Fire Emblem Heroes poll.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Female Corrin is popular (in fact Smash is just about the only depiction that defaults to Male Corrin) but I'm not sure if that had much impact.

In any case, we need to keep an eye out and see what comes down the pipeline.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Female Corrin is popular (in fact Smash is just about the only depiction that defaults to Male Corrin) but I'm not sure if that had much impact.

In any case, we need to keep an eye out and see what comes down the pipeline.
Whatever it is, I can guarantee that at least one DLC fighter is going to be some dumb promotion/advertisement or a character from a game no one know about, or both.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If any character is added for promotion, I wholly expect Edelgard. That however doesn't make me expect the Dee any less.
Edelgard would be nice, but people would still go nits if we got yet another Fire Emblem fighter just for the purpose of promoting a game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
True. But they'll find some way to make her hate-able.
Just the fact that, with a total of 17 newcomers between DLC, base uniques, and Echoes, Fire Emblem would get two characters would probably nab her a lot of hate.

At this point I think the only Fire Emblem character that wouldn’t get hated is Lyn.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Just the fact that, with a total of 17 newcomers between DLC, base uniques, and Echoes, Fire Emblem would get two characters would probably nab her a lot of hate.

At this point I think the only Fire Emblem character that wouldn’t get hated is Lyn.
Actually Lyn (and Camilla recent too) have gate in Fire Emblem Heroes for having 5 versions of themselves (Only them, Lucina, who already has hate, and Tiki, who has 2 for Older and 3 for younger, have versions of themselves).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Actually Lyn (and Camilla recent too) have gate in Fire Emblem Heroes for having 5 versions of themselves (Only them, Lucina, who already has hate, and Tiki, who has 2 for Older and 3 for younger, have versions of themselves).
I’ll be frank: I don’t care what Fire Emblem Heroes fans like or dislike.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

Lyn and Hector seem like the safest choices. Those are pretty much the only ones who could get away with being another Fire Emblem character

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Edelgard would be nice, but people would still go nits if we got yet another Fire Emblem fighter just for the purpose of promoting a game.
Although I'd prefer Lyn, she is an assist, so I have low hope for her overall.
I feel that Edelgard would be nice for the sole purpose of getting an non-sword user in Fire Emblem.
Anna in her Heroes incarnation would be cool as a possible echo, but at that point, people would get REALLY annoyed at the number of FE reps.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Lyn and Hector seem like the safest choices. Those are pretty much the only ones who could get away with being another Fire Emblem character
I dont know about that. Again, just stuff I've been hearing from Heroes, but Japan has apparently started blaming America for Fates/Awakening being so popular and getting so many alts with Lyn and Hector.

Side note: They could just put TH characters in FEH since it helps IS the most.

Other Side Note: Considering Kirby Battle Royale had Kirby, Bandanna Dee/Parasol Dee, Meta Knight, and Axe Knight fight Kirby clones, how strong do you think Dee is?

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet

Man I normally love gameXplain but they still absolutely REFUSE to give Bandanna Dee any credit, like every time man.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

Man I normally love gameXplain but they still absolutely REFUSE to give Bandanna Dee any credit, like every time man.
I've honestly been trying to avoid Gamexplain Smash stuff since Simon was revealed. Especially cause of the Dee analysis and how they never mention Xeno X.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've honestly been trying to avoid Gamexplain Smash stuff since Simon was revealed. Especially cause of the Dee analysis and how they never mention Xeno X.
You and me both. It's wild to me that Elma and Bandana Dee look to be the most likely newcomers to people following speculation and trends on this forum and yet to folks like them they just STILL go for the picks like Edelgard or Rex & Pyra despite clear evidence that they wouldn't be making the cut.

The only reason people are claiming Edelgard is because of Corrin. Faulty facts lead to faulty conclusions.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Dedede symbol on bandanna or no?
As far as I know, that detail has never been official. That's not to say that I would mind, though. (Only if HAL approves, of course.)

Other Side Note: Considering Kirby Battle Royale had Kirby, Bandanna Dee/Parasol Dee, Meta Knight, and Axe Knight fight Kirby clones, how strong do you think Dee is?
Depends on what you mean by "strong"?

Not taking copied abilities into account, I headcanon him as second strongest behind Dedede when it comes to lifting strength and whatnot. Megaton Punch isn't technically canon, but I like including it anyway because it's fun to build off of... In a general fighting ability sense, though, I put Dee as the "weakest" of the four leads. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, though, so it's tough to fairly rank them like that.

Also, heck, Wave 3 has landed.
"Another Dimension Heroes" mode??
Now we get to wait for the official English announcement.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I boycotted GXP after that Bandana Video.

and also....

now the fun REALLY begins....

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Actually, Derrick's main pick is Bandana Waddle Dee. He just says that if, for some reason, we can't have him, he'll take Marx.

Top Bottom