• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Isn't Granblue a Japan exclusive? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it getting a rep.
Yep, its a Japan exclusive game.. but, in Nintendo's mind, what would be the best way to introduce it to western audiences? I hate to say it, but that friggin Iphone garbage seems extremely likely now...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai talking about DLC. Characters being chosen by Nintendo makes me hopeful.
If Nintendo had full decision, it’s probably all third parties. Corporate synergy and such. My worst fears confirmed...

SwitchButton

I legit have no idea what the implications of this are. Would they want more internal advertisement characters, like ANOTHER Fire Emblem or something for Luigi's Mansion 3? Would they focus on normal marketable Nintendo iconography, like NES characters, Waddle Dees, and other such ""we put this on t-shirts and mugs"" aspects? Would they focus on third party's, for that sweet gaming icon money?

Does anyone know what this could mean? I don't have the SLIGHTEST clue.

11th

Smash Apprentice
That really isn't a good example. He abandoned some Modern Kirby content just cause he heard of a game that would have a similar gimmick, even though it wouldn't be out until after Smash 4.
To be fair, that was one of the stages that didn't make it back to Ultimate, likely for technical reasons. (I've heard that it had fair amount of lag on Wii U.) We can only speculate what may have happened if it were designed as the originally planned Epic Yarn stage, but if it was going to be anything like the final, then there's a chance that it still would have been cut in the move. I'm just happy to have not lost a stage on top of not gaining much new content.

And Mr. Sakurai's Tweets... I'm ashamed that he had to post that, given that 99% of the request posts in question are coming from the English side.
And yet, they continue.

No clue how this news may alter Bandana Dee's odds. Nintendo is even less predictable than Mr. Sakurai due to lack of history, unfortunately. Obvious result would be promotional things, but we don't know that for sure.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm more hopeful than ever... So many of my faves are suddenly on the table. Including our little Dee! Hope this bodes well!

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Does Nintendo know about the most popular and requested characters?
I'm sure they have a good idea. They, at the very least, have statistics from the Smash Ballot, which would give a good indicator of what characters Smash fans were interested in at that point.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Why would people still believe in rumors that read as completely fake?

If anything, I think this means first party characters just got a bump. Even more when they're in active games/franchises.

SwitchButton

Here's what Nintendo's new president has to say about Smash:
"The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo’s main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP."​
I have no idea what this could mean for Bandana Dee, but yeah I think it's safe to say DLC is gonna be advertisement focused

SwitchButton

Since Nintendo's a picking does this help bandana Dee? Or is it bad idk
It could go either way. We simply have no idea. At the very least, Bandana Dee still has a shot since he naturally acts as an advertisement for all modern Kirby games.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think it helps because the biggest obstacle for Bandana Dee is Sakurai's reluctance to add anything from modern Kirby. And there's always going to be a new Kirby game around the corner. I think the biggest boost are popular for characters from new IPs/popular third parties though.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Here's to hoping that Nintendo suggested Bandanna Dee to Sakurai, otherwise the poor guy will have ended up with nothing in this game. All I can say to that is wow. Even characters like Geno, Shovel Knight and Shantae got nods in Ultimate. Really hoping there isn't an bias for the character on Sakurai's end. I've seen people suggest it but I've always viewed comments like that as disrespectful and uninformed.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I wasn't gonna ask, but I guess after the new tweets it's a interesting question, though I doubt it.

On a scale of 0 to 100, how likely is it that the next Star Allies update/trailer goes together with a Kirby character getting in Smash, similarly to Isabelle's trailer?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if it's ad dependant, Waddle Dees are big in Japanese adverts and merch.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Like I said before, BWD's only chance is for him to be turned into the Smash Bros. equivalent of a shelf filled with Waddle Dee merchandise. Nintendo obviously know the marketability of Waddle Dees and who knows, maybe somewhere down the line there is going to be a big (paid) KSA DLC update and BWD is used to market that.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

I mean, Star Allies Wave 3 is coming up, as is the Epic Yarn port.

At least they have a reason to advertise the Kirby series

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Tinfoil Hat Theory time
Kirby's Dreamland was released on April 27, 1992. By 2019, it would be Kirby's 27th anniversary. BWD might be the 2nd DLC character making him 72, which is 27 backwards.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Tinfoil Hat Theory time
Kirby's Dreamland was released on April 27, 1992. By 2019, it would be Kirby's 27th anniversary. BWD might be the 2nd DLC character making him 72, which is 27 backwards.
I feel like I've heard this before
I'm super afraid we're going to get another lame FE fighter.
They have FEH now if they wanna shill people.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I feel that if the recent tweet supports any of the Ultimate candidates still left in this board, it'll be Bandana Waddle Dee. Kirby's still big, yet it got no Ultimate newcomer, and plenty of people on both sides of the pond want BWD.

On the other hand, I guess Sakurai could have simply picked 5 other characters from the given list, but that's not any different from before, and the list can't be that long if all the reconfirmations still hold and if it's cut away from obscure and distant 3rd-party picks. If it's really narrowed down to those that Nintendo themselves would be most interested in supporting, then BWD will likely be on that list.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm liking Bandana Dee's chances anymore guys. Kirby doesn't really have any new games on the horizon. Sure, it has a remake (which I don't recall seeing any content of Bandana Dee in) of Epic Yarn, and another wave of characters for Star Allies, but does Nintendo see that as an advertising chance? I'm leaning on no. Chances are, we'll get a large amount of 3rd Party that no one really wants (though Rayman's chances shot up a bit, so I guess there's that). I'm now expecting that Granblue character, much to my chagrin. The only 1st party I could see us getting are characters that advertise upcoming games, so Pokemon Gen 8 and FE 3 Houses are back on the table. I guess this is also why Rex couldn't be DLC, because his game was in an awkward time too late for advertising a recent game, and too early for base roster.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm liking Bandana Dee's chances anymore guys. Kirby doesn't really have any new games on the horizon. Sure, it has a remake (which I don't recall seeing any content of Bandana Dee in) of Epic Yarn, and another wave of characters for Star Allies, but does Nintendo see that as an advertising chance? I'm leaning on no.
Remember the marketability in Waddle Dees (in Japan) and BWD's popularity in general. It'd make bank if he was DLC, especially if you give him things that reference the iconic, generic Dees (a Final Smash, maybe?) and maybe some hats (Sailor Dee alt, for instance). To me, this is enough to make me consider BWD as a high possbility for DLC.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Remember the marketability in Waddle Dees (in Japan) and BWD's popularity in general. It'd make bank if he was DLC, especially if you give him things that reference the iconic, generic Dees (a Final Smash, maybe?) and maybe some hats (Sailor Dee alt, for instance). To me, this is enough to make me consider BWD as a high possbility for DLC.
Hmm, I suppose, but remember, it was Nintendo who wanted to add Corrin and Sakurai didn't. That was one character. Now they're picking all 5 DLC characters and forcing Sakurai to choose from what they want. But hey, maybe they do want to throw us a bone, but I'm gonna remain pessimistic for the time being. Sorry, it's a defense mechanism, especially since it means that Bandana Dee was purposely left out of Spirits, Assist Trophies, and Dedede's final smash for nothing.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I suppose, but remember, it was Nintendo who wanted to add Corrin and Sakurai didn't. That was one character.
I'm very certain its the other way around. With everything being said though, stay optimistic but stay cautious.

Last edited:

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Amidst the DLC chaos, another teaser.
This one specifically references Another Dimension.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm very certain its the other way around. With everything being said though, stay optimistic but stay cautious.
I'll wait and see. I'm still supporting the little guy no matter what. I wonder how things will shift if we do see him as a spirit when the game releases though...
Yep, it's definitely wave 3 time, with Magolor at the helm.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Honestly... it makes me more worried.
Because it might prove that Katalina from Granblue Fantasy might make it in. I can see corporate meddling happening where CyGames would make Dragalia Lost and Super Mario Run, but only if she is in Smash.
There is also a matter of a SE character and Steve, it makes me think BWD might be outcompeted.
I hope I am wrong though.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77162181/911785222

Vergeben saying that may have fallen though

So it’s probably not happening.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, yes, I hope the rumored Direct ties into this...

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Translation (from @vivaceharmony):
"Jamaharoa. This is still unfamiliar to us, although it was written in a certain book. It seems that the vessel of Our Lord may have come through a space path from another world... That space path has been called... 'Another Dimension'."

It's happening!:rotfl:

And about Sakurai's tweet, if Nintendo are going for promotional characters, then Bandana Dee could promote wave 3 for Star Allies, it's possible. But if Nintendo are going for popularity/relevancy for their character selection, then BD has that as well so don't lose hope.
Remember, while Nintendo selects characters for smash it's Sakurai's decision to see if they can work as fighters. He's still the one who decides on the selection from Nintendo that are considered for DLC.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Bandana Dee is absolutely going to be a DLC character. Alongside Edelgard I think he's a sure thing.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
So with that tweet saying Nintendo did the selection this time, I have to wonder who it will actually affect. All of them? All but the first? Less? In any case, it probably means I was wrong about it going to be all third parties, and with DLC going onto february 2020, a new Pokémon character is actually somewhat likely, unlike my initial prediction.

So where does this leave Bandana Dee? ...I’m not sure. But if they’re going for advertisement characters from Kirby... I think the likes of Prince Fluff’s chances just shot through the roof. Still, not a guarantee, but I do think he’s serious competition. IF we get a new Kirby Character, I wonder who’ll get the pick? A popular poster boy of an iconic species? Or a deuteragonist reentering the spotlight? (I changed my opinion regarding spirits with that tweet. I think they actually have a chance now.)
Unless more characters get leaked (which they probably will, damnit), this is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so nintendo's picked the dlc characters? this might be out one chance to get past sakurai's bias

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No. Nintendo and Intelligent wanted to boost Fates' sales since it was poorly constructed, so they forced pressured Sakurai into adding the Corrins, which ended up over-hyping the game and creating an even bigger stigma against Fire Emblem.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No. Nintendo and Intelligent wanted to boost Fates' sales since it was poorly constructed, so they forced pressured Sakurai into adding the Corrins, which ended up over-hyping the game and creating an even bigger stigma against Fire Emblem.
That's not what happened at all. Sakurai's team wanted a promotional character, and they picked Corrin because of moveset potential, not Nintendo. Corrin was also popular in Japan at the time because Fates had been out at least a year at this point and was doing very well.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
"forced pressured" is a bit of an exagerration. Sakurai hesitated with Corrin, yes, but was ultimately convinced by IS due to moveset potential due to their shapeshifting powers. I personally would've gone for Elma, but I digress.

But I will admit that boosting sales was probably part of their goal. That being said, for a game released in two parts (I count Revelations as DLC and not as much as a seperate game), it got about 2 million sales, which they probably wanted to be higher. (Especially considering they added revelations on top of that.)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I heard from someone Waddle Dee is missing in Dedede victory animation

Last edited:
Top Bottom