• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
So now we're talking about music, I'd like to think about what we may or may not expect.

-39 Kirby songs confirmed in August direct
-Smash 4 had 31, assuming they all return, that means 8 are unknown. (This may be a bit of a bold assumption, though.)
-City Trial remix was confirmed, seven left.
-C-R-O-W-N-E-D confirmed, six left.
-There's a credits remix of Kirby's Dreamland according to KeyOh's post, five left.

I'm aware that Sakurai said that the number of songs was subject to change, but I'm not expecting the amount of Kirby songs to get more than 2 more in a best case scenario. But for now I'm assuming five are left.

Personally hoping for the first phase theme from Planet Robobot's final boss, Battle Royale's final boss theme, and an Epic Yarn remix. Probably not gonna get all of them, but I can hope.
I did cross-referencing back when the Direct first happened, there were 35 Kirby tracks in total:
SSB64:
Dream Land 64 (1)
SSB64 KirbWin (2) X
SSBM:
Fountain of Dreams (3)
Green Greens Melee (4) SSBM KirbWin (5) X
All-Star Intro (6)

SSBB:
MK Revenge (7)
Legendary Air Ride (8)
Gourmet Race (9)
Butter Building (10)
Dedede's Theme (11)
Squeak Squad Theme (12)
Marx (13)
02 (14)
Boss Medley (15)
Checker Knights (16)
Forest/Nature Area (17)
Frozen Hillside (18)
SSBB KirbyDededeWin (19) X SSBB MKWin (20) X
SSB4:
Green Greens V2 (21)
Dedede V2 (22)
Ice Cream Island (23)
Butter Building V2 (24)
Great Cave Offensive (25)
Forest/Nature Area Remix (26)
Green Greens (27)
Float Islands (28)
Bubbly Clouds (29)
Castle Lololo (30)
Mt. Dedede (31)
Planet Popstar (32)
Forest Stage (33)
Celestial Valley (34)
The Adventure Begins (35)
Through the Forest (36)
Floral Fields (37)
The World to Win (38)

SSBU:
City Trial (39)
CROWNED (40)
Staff Roll (41)
I am aware the victory themes do not count, but there has still been 37 tracks total. Granted, Forest/Nature Area is made redundant by the remix, but they're both still there. So we're at either 36 or 37

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I have a really good feeling about DeeLC, and especially after Pirahna Plant and playing Star Allies I gotta say I'm on board! Kirby is one of my favorite franchises, Kirby 64 is one of the best, and I'm enjoying Star Allies a lot. It just feels like a popular character with the Megaton Punch Arena seems likely, and no matter what I want in on this support thread!

I hope Parasol Dee gets representation...he's my fave.
Hopefully Dee gets to use his parasol he uses in Battle Royale and implied to use in Robobot when you use the Waddle Dee amiibo.

D

Deleted member

I have a bad feeling about it. But I still believe in the D's chances. Bandana We got ya.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have not commented at all in the Bandanna Dee thread this cycle (and I believe I only commented once in his thread during Smash 4). However, this is a character whom I feel probably has among the strongest prospects of any veteran franchise character for DLC. He did incredibly well on the ballot, especially on the Japanese side of things (currently he may very well be the most wanted newcomer among Japanese Smash Bros. fans). The character has been promoted a ton in Kirby titles during this decade, and was Kirby's sole sidekick in two games (Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale).

If spirits are de-confirmations for a character's prospects for DLC, there is the fact that Bandanna Dee is among the few characters that not only has not shown up as a spirit, but also has no sort of reference anywhere at all in the game. We shall see when the game releases in five weeks, but even if Bandanna Dee has a spirit or two in Ultimate, it does not de-confirm him.

The small number of new tracks for the Kirby series despite all the titles released since Smash 4 (Rainbow Curse, Planet Robobot, Battle Royale, Star Allies) is another "bread crumb" that seems to be pointing towards his inclusion as DLC.

In general, the only two other series critical characters that do not have any sort of notable role in Ultimate seem to be Elma and Dixie Kong (and the latter already has two spirits). Elma is another character whose prospects look strong as DLC currently (I am also interested to see whether she has any spirits in Ultimate and what Xenoblade X content there is in general).

Some time in 2019, you guys may very well be among the few fanbases to be blessed with a confirmation.

Bandanna Dee certainly deserves it. He has become a series critical character at this point, and the inclusion of the Pirahna Plant eliminates whatever "Goomba with a hat" arguments there were about the character.

Best of luck to you guys with the DLC phase of this game. Hopefully, Bandanna Dee will get his point across that he deserves to be in Smash Bros.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Idk if you guys have seen the Isaac and Dixie threads but I like what they are doing, we should do something similar.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If DLC was being decided upon in 2015-2016, Dee would have only had two major playable roles for Sakurai to determine worthy of merits, one of those games, Rainbow Curse, being sort of a flop with the game being on the Wii U. Star Allies likely would have not applied for Dee's chances, sorta like Xenoblade 2 and Rex being too late to consider the merits of XC2 being the most successful Xenoblade game.

Would you guys consider Dee's presence with the two games he appeared in to be far less prominent than Captain Toad, who had a successful game on the Wii U?

Do you think Dee had the stardom and marketability (prior to deciding Ultimate's DLC plan) to be enough to be prioritized as DLC (The stardom to really become an instant Nintendo all-star with huge marketable potential like Isabelle), being a bigger priority than potential types of candidates like 3rd parties and other highly requested Nintendo all-stars like Dixie Kong?

I am curious for answers.

D

Deleted member

The Golden Sun fans are naming next Sunday Golden Sunday, tweeting at Nintendo, or anyone that will listen to let them know Golden Sun has not died and still lives on. Tweeting, posting songs, talking about the games. The main goal is to let it be known despite being an assist trophy Isaac and Gokden Sunbus not done yet. Guess Dixie Kong fans are doing the same?

But yeah that's the goal.

You guys could do something similar feel free to if need be.

But Bandana Dee has got the support.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
If DLC was being decided upon in 2015-2016, Dee would have only had two major playable roles for Sakurai to determine worthy of merits, one of those games, Rainbow Curse, being sort of a flop with the game being on the Wii U. Star Allies likely would have not applied for Dee's chances, sorta like Xenoblade 2 and Rex being too late to consider the merits of XC2 being the most successful Xenoblade game.

Would you guys consider Dee's presence with the two games he appeared in to be far less prominent than Captain Toad, who had a successful game on the Wii U?

Do you think Dee had the stardom and marketability (prior to deciding Ultimate's DLC plan) to be enough to be prioritized as DLC (The stardom to really become an instant Nintendo all-star with huge marketable potential like Isabelle), being a bigger priority than potential types of candidates like 3rd parties and other highly requested Nintendo all-stars like Dixie Kong?

HAL actually owns the Kirby franchise, so it would be on them to display to Sakurai how they intended to make Bandana Dee more and more prominent as time goes on; to explain that this is an actual core character that justifies his existence. That plus his high presence in polling and stuff would help.
I feel like people underestimate what being a Waddle Dee could do for Bandana Dee. Outside of his own traits and roles, Sakurai could see the character as a method of finally making the crazy iconic Waddle Dee race into a playable character. Something I'm sure HAL is interested in. Waddle Dees have also proven time and time again to have EXTREMELY potent market power, especially in Japan, so I don't think BD would have a problem selling as DLC.

But at this point it all comes down to what Sakurai himself thinks about the character. Who knows what could happen. I can see it going either way.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I know I'm a new Dee supporter, but I think one factor is that whenever I saw the Japanese polls for the ballot Bandana Dee consistently places near the top, often over the veterans. I think it's possible. Fan polls are NOT the ballot, BUT I think it's important to keep that in mind. Even before Star Allies, he was popular.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

Personally speaking, I'm not optimistic for first party DLC to begin with, but to answer your question, I can't say I'm exactly sure. At the very least he appeared on the Club Nintendo pin and possibly some other promotional art, so I wouldn't say he's exactly without it. And of course, Captain Toad is by and far the more famous character, I won't deny (but hey, he's a Mario character, that's to be expected). That being said, Kirby is kind of a big deal in Japan and from what I've heard, Waddle Dee merch tends to be pretty common. Considering Corrin came out before Fire Emblem Fates was even released in the west, I don't think that should be too much of a roadblock.
But when comparing it to the likes of let's say, Tales of, Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, Tekken, Ace Attorney, Shin Megami Tensei, and Minecraft, I'm not sure. As I said, I'm not expecting any first party DLC to pop up to begin with this time around thanks to spirits. (Especially if DLC was decided upon early, and with how easy spirits are to implement, I think Bandana Dee (not just Waddle Dee) is extremely likely to appear as one.)

I do believe that out of every first party, Bandana Dee has the highest chances at this current point in time, but I don't think first parties have as much of a chance as third parties do.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If HAL is confident enough that Dee would be a bigger marketing deal far more than the brief marketing of Ashley in 2015, maaaaaayyybe.

And if Sakurai applies the marketability of regular Waddle Dees to Bandanna Dee, maybe..

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

I feel like he definitely had the marketability and stardom to make it. He was popular pretty much everywhere and dominating fan polls. Due to this, I find it quite odd he has no pressence at all at this point. Rex got a costume and Springman an assist, but with how popular Dee is right now, it seems odd to leave him out and add chef Kawasaki instead. Other popular ballot picks such as Krystal and Isaac are assists, so it doesn't make sense to leave him out.
Also, I'm sure he could've asked HAL Labratories what future they had planned for Dee.
About Captain Toad, he's far less popular than Dee, and probably didn't do near as well as him on the ballot. Captain Toad also isn't a part of the main Mario cast like Dee is to Kirby.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I think Dee will be DLC for a few reasons.

1) Japanese Support: Japanese character polls seem to view him in high regards as he was placed 4th on Source Gamings records, now first as the first 3 got confirmed. He is an exceedingly popular character in pretty much every region as well due to the Kirby revival stemming from Return To Dream Land, his first playable debut.

2) Main Character: Kirby is a huge franchise that got all its main characters in Brawl. Since then the franchise got a reboot/ revival through Return To Dream Land and the Super Star Remake leading into the modern Star Allies. In that time a 4th main character was created, being the Dee. He is constantly around the main trio acting as Kirby’s helper in solo adventures: Getting him food/ items, being a guide, or literally being the only playable character outside of Kirby. To say the least, BD has evolved into a hero and 4th member of one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises, so I doubt Sakurai would just blaintly skip over him when other break out stars like Isabelle are in.

3) No Decomfirmation: Pretty Much Self explanatory.

4) A Stage and Music: If you notice, each new comer seems to come with a stage and music, most likely from their own franchise being my assumption. Seeing as how every title the Bandana has been in has been neglected, might work in his favor. Stages and Music from RTDL and beyond are like nowhere to be found, so Dee has a good chance of having his own stage based on Robobot, Rainbow Curse, etc.

5) Marketing: Many characters were based on marketing last DLC (Street Fighter V, FF7 Remake, Bayonetta 2, Fates), so likely the characters will follow a similar trend this time around. We already know that DLC will go into 2020, and seeing as Kirby usually has a two year development period, Dee could advertise the next installment, if not the current Star Allies that we are lacking 3 Dream Friends on.

6) Established Move Set: Kirby created the ground work for Smash, so their characters already play like it. BD already has an extensive move set pre built since RTDL.

Sorry, just wanted to share my thoughts, as for the other DLC if your interested, I think it’ll be

1) Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2) Rex (Xenoblade)
3) Meltan (Pokémon)
4) Rayman / Rabbids
5) Steve (Minecraft)

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Mii costume.
To be fair K Rool and Chrom were Mii Costumes before being put in as characters. Plus the fact that Sakurai went over how Rex couldn’t be added to the base due to time and he isn’t finished or maybe even started on some DLC, he has a pretty good shot still.

SwitchButton

To be fair K Rool and Chrom were Mii Costumes before being put in as characters. Plus the fact that Sakurai went over how Rex couldn’t be added to the base due to time and he isn’t finished or maybe even started on some DLC, he has a pretty good shot still.
In completely different games though. Also, Sakurai simply said Rex couldn't be added to the game full stop, and this was AFTER he talked about the 5 DLC characters.
And considering that it's PAID dlc, and that he actually apologized, it's kinda blatant that he's outta luck. No real sense in doing that for a character that he KNOWS that he'll be adding in a few months.

Hell and this is coming from someone that thinks the Xenoblade X girl could be in. Whatever her name is, she's completely absent, and from what I hear Xenoblade X music isn't in the game at all

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
In completely different games though. Also, Sakurai simply said Rex couldn't be added to the game full stop, and this was AFTER he talked about the 5 DLC characters.
And considering that it's PAID dlc, and that he actually apologized, it's kinda blatant that he's outta luck. No real sense in doing that for a character that he KNOWS that he'll be adding in a few months.

Hell and this is coming from someone that thinks the Xenoblade X girl could be in. Whatever her name is, she's completely absent, and from what I hear Xenoblade X music isn't in the game at all
I can live with that. Maybe Elma will be the character then. I could only think of 4 likely candidates, so I guess Rex was more of a throw in. If not him, then we’ll probably get a 3rd party. Probably like Dragon Quest or Persona.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I definitely think Bandana Dee and Elma are the two most likely first party DLC choices. It's really, really suspicious that we don't know if they're in the game at all.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys: in the wake of what happened in the Direct among other things such as Isaac becoming an Assist Trophy and Shantae becoming a Spirit, two of my most wanted newcomers appear to be in limbo as of right now... or maybe they aren't, I can't say for sure. Regardless, the Direct did get to me quite a lot because of what happened then, but I don't intend on giving up on Isaac and Shantae as long as DLC still exists.

As for Bandana Dee, he remains one of the few newcomers on my wishlist who's managed to stay strong despite all the odds. I hope he finally gets his chance to shine in his game, especially for DLC as he really does look likely this time around as he's really all Kirby needs for me to say the Kirby franchise is complete outside of a possible villain rep like Marx, but let's save that for another time.

I hope Sakurai deecides on Bandana Dee this time around either way!

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I’m not going to overhype myself in this regard, but I find it both amazing and hilarious that pretty much the only character (outside of Banjo, I guess) to survive the Assist/Spirit/Cameo massacre was Bandana Dee, and then on top of that we get a generic enemy as a playable fighter.

Like I said, I’m not going to believe he’s a lock or even likely, but just the inexplicable absence when everyone else has some sort of appearance in the game- It’s really strange circumstances...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nintendo's departments work together in full tandem, and if Star Allies was finished in 2017, Dee was probably decided at around the same time as the final roster, so they could have known about him.
Also remember that DLC is still in development, if they're starting with Sora and Steve (Verge leak), then the next 3 fighters are probably in the process of being decided upon as we speak.

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee, still has a chance. Don't know who will get in as DLC.

But we will see who gets in Bandana Dee is probably among the list of favourite's.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
He's the most popular fighter request in Japan. He has to be on the list of favorites.
Yeah, with Rex most likely out of the running, Bandana Dee HAS to be #1 favorite in Japan.

Sadly, seeing how Vergeben and their friends leaked 3 out of the 5 fighters already, with Byleth from FE3H being a likely 4th, it seems Sakurai is ignoring the fans for the most part for DLC.

Edit: It doesn't help that Sakurai warned people to be absolutely sure they wanted the fighter pass, probably knowing that a lot of the DLC picks would make most of us unhappy.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, with Rex most likely out of the running, Bandana Dee HAS to be #1 favorite in Japan.

Sadly, seeing how Vergeben and their friends leaked 3 out of the 5 fighters already, with Byleth from FE3H being a likely 4th, it seems Sakurai is ignoring the fans for the most part for DLC.
Yeah, he's to worried about people calling Sakurai bias. It's 2018. No one says that anymore. If anything he's biased against Kirby.

SwitchButton

I took a long hard think about it, and I have a stage idea I really like. How would you guys feel about a Castle Dedede stage being added with Bandana Dee? Hear me out..

Castle Dedede is an extremely iconic location in the Kirby series. It has it's own distinct look, it's been the location of many final bosses, and has been an actual level in many others. In fact, Amazing Mirror is the ONLY MAINLINE GAME IN THE FRANCHISE that doesn't include Castle Dedede as a location. It's also extremely prominent in the modern games, with the last 3 mainline games all having an assault of some kind befall the Castle. Despite all this, the castle doesn't appear at all in Smash Bros

The stage would be a nice neutral and iconic level to represent Kirby overall AND the modern games, which have been heavily ignored. You'd fight on the Castle's roof normally with a sweeping background of Dreamland and the sky, and occasionally threats would appear to manipulate the stage

-The Dreamstalk/Sectonia flower could rise out of the ground in the distant background, and the vines could weave across the stage and lift chunks of the stage out of the ground, creating holes for you to fall into and platforms for you to stand on
-Star Dream could lower down from outer space, and blast the Castle destroying lasers that it used to destroy the castle in Robobot's intro. These lasers would hurt players and change the stage's layout via destruction.
-The Dark Hearts would rain down from the sky, with one or two landing on the stage. Grabbing it would "possess" you, increasing your power ala Star Allies bosses, but reverse your controls or something
-Dark Matter, the Squeaks, Taranza and other characters we've encountered at the castle could make appearances as well. Dark Matter could even be a stage boss like Yellow Devil

And, last but most importantly, this stage actually MEANS SOMETHING to Bandana Dee. It's not just a random level, it's his actual home and workplace. It would represent his connection to Dedede.

We could also get some sick Castle Dedede remixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snh9XfxTGdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq8F7SKUi80

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I took a long hard think about it, and I have a stage idea I really like. How would you guys feel about a Castle Dedede stage being added with Bandana Dee? Hear me out..

Castle Dedede is an extremely iconic location in the Kirby series. It has it's own distinct look, it's been the location of many final bosses, and has been an actual level in many others. In fact, Amazing Mirror is the ONLY MAINLINE GAME IN THE FRANCHISE that doesn't include Castle Dedede as a location. It's also extremely prominent in the modern games, with the last 3 mainline games all having an assault of some kind befall the Castle. Despite all this, the castle doesn't appear at all in Smash Bros

The stage would be a nice neutral and iconic level to represent Kirby overall AND the modern games, which have been heavily ignored. You'd fight on the Castle's roof normally with a sweeping background of Dreamland and the sky, and occasionally threats would appear to manipulate the stage

-The Dreamstalk/Sectonia flower could rise out of the ground in the distant background, and the vines could weave across the stage and lift chunks of the stage out of the ground, creating holes for you to fall into and platforms for you to stand on
-Star Dream could lower down from outer space, and blast the Castle destroying lasers that it used to destroy the castle in Robobot's intro. These lasers would hurt players and change the stage's layout via destruction.
-The Dark Hearts would rain down from the sky, with one or two landing on the stage. Grabbing it would "possess" you, increasing your power ala Star Allies bosses, but reverse your controls or something
-Dark Matter, the Squeaks, Taranza and other characters we've encountered at the castle could make appearances as well. Dark Matter could even be a stage boss like Yellow Devil

And, last but most importantly, this stage actually MEANS SOMETHING to Bandana Dee. It's not just a random level, it's his actual home and workplace. It would represent his connection to Dedede.

We could also get some sick Castle Dedede remixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snh9XfxTGdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq8F7SKUi80
I actually had a similar idea.
I also though Another Dimension would be a good stage. Similar to Orbital Gate Assault, moving platforms are the Landias, the Lor Starcutter, etc., and the stage could swap to versions of the organized dark matter platforms with doomers as stage hazards, and the flat planet that you fight Magolor on, with Magolor EX/Soul as stage bosses.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

Edit: It doesn't help that Sakurai warned people to be absolutely sure they wanted the fighter pass, probably knowing that a lot of the DLC picks would make most of us unhappy.
Let's be very clear about the leaks.
> Verge only says that there will be a SE rep and Minecraft content. the other leaker says that Minecraft will get a character and that Grandblue is in talks to get a character. Me Personally cannot believe the later cause I feel Sakurai would have just saved Rex for DLC if they haven't decided all of them yet.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
> Verge only says that there will be a SE rep and Minecraft content. the other leaker says that Minecraft will get a character and that Grandblue is in talks to get a character. Me Personally cannot believe the later cause I feel Sakurai would have just saved Rex for DLC if they haven't decided all of them yet.
Sakurai wouldn't choose a fighter that no one knows about, especially with only 5 slots to choose from.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't trust Verge's claims on the DLC.
His sources missed the following significant details about Ultimate:
EVERYONE IS HERE! as such a huge focal point of the E3 showcase, the fact he only had "no cuts from smash 4, icies return" is a little suspicious.
No word about Richter, Dark Samus, or Chrom.
Supposedly sources claimed Isabelle was an echo (can't find evidence for or against this, also the only posts I can find about isabelle seemed to come... after her announcement?)
His play-up of Minecraft content that is now completely absent, even after him also playing up Minecon as a source of information.
Not a WORD about the scope of DLC or :ultpiranha:.
Very much so might be a case similar to Gematsu last time around, where the information gotten was from older, outdated sources. It'd allign with the utter lack of knowledge on most of the Echo Fighters, who were likely chosen farther into development because of their quick turn around.
Also GBF seems like a kinda underwhelming choice for a new 3rd Party series and company to reach out to.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Honestly Grandblue stuff I can't believe Sakurai made it a point that Rex came too late to get in the game. Verge's stuff I could care less about. Minecraft content could easily mean Spirits or a Diamond Armor Mii Costume.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Yeah, he's to worried about people calling Sakurai bias. It's 2018. No one says that anymore. If anything he's biased against Kirby.
Considering almost every Youtuber's reaction to Kirby surviving the World of Light trailer essentially being "Sakurai bias", I think most people are fine with Kirby getting some extra attention from Sakurai.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I'm incredibly skeptical about it. For one major reason:
Granblue hasn't had any appearances on Nintendo consoles.
Say what you will about Cloud, but he's the most recognizable face of a series that most definitely has presence on Nintendo consoles, and even Metal Gear has had releases on the NES and GBC.
This would hypothetically be the first time that rule would be broken. THE ONLY WAY I can see it happening is if they've had a mutual deal, with Granblue getting an update that includes Nintendo content to promote the likes of FE: Heroes and Super Mario Run, otherwise, I'm calling ********.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I'm incredibly skeptical about it. For one major reason:
Granblue hasn't had any appearances on Nintendo consoles.
Say what you will about Cloud, but he's the most recognizable face of a series that most definitely has presence on Nintendo consoles, and even Metal Gear has had releases on the NES and GBC.
This would hypothetically be the first time that rule would be broken. THE ONLY WAY I can see it happening is if they've had a mutual deal, with Granblue getting an update that includes Nintendo content to promote the likes of FE: Heroes and Super Mario Run, otherwise, I'm calling ********.
And again, the leaker didn't say Grandblue are in, just that there are talks, and thier can't be talks if the dlc is already decided (unless this is for Season 2)

Last edited:
Top Bottom