• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel really good about Dee potentially being one of the five DLC characters. I absolutely agree he’s in a better spot than most characters.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
My, with Skull Kid gone too... Isn't our Bandana Deearest, like, the only 1st party big hitter that survived today? As well as probably Japan's #1?

Guess his chances are even higher than I though.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
I think he's one of the most likely DLCs now considering his popularity and the fact Kirby seems like a big focus this time. Many disconfirmations and I do think spirits characters wouldn't be there if they were considered for DLC.

Also, the generic enemy argument just died as well. Bandana's chances are better than even they were for base roster.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah but with Dee, there's still the "Sakurai ignores the post-Sakurai Kirby games" rule that he adamantly continues to uphold for some reason

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Just stopping in from isaac boards to let you know we feel for you, goomba with a hat was always the dumbest argument and then they literally add a plain pirhanna plant. Ballot my ass

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
If you would have come to me months ago and said "a Piranha Plant will be confirmed and kill the one argument people have against Bandana Dee" I would have called you insane.
But here we are...

JonSmash

Smash Ace
remember when they said bandana dee was like a goomaba with a bandana on ? WELP they just put a gineric pirahna plant in smash so bandana dee could be DLC since sakurai is ok whit generic charaters now

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Just stopping in from isaac boards to let you know we feel for you, goomba with a hat was always the dumbest argument and then they literally add a plain pirhanna plant. Ballot my ***
And apologies to you as well. Isaac really didn't deserve an unceremonious quick Assist Trophy deconfirmation. Here's to future Smash titles!

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Bandy along with Dixie are now the only 2 big first party characters left for DLC. Let's hope for the best, I don't want solely 3rd Party DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like I said on the Banjo topic, I think the Piranha Plant is a blessing in disguise. Since Sakurai is willing to add even regular enemies (so long as at least one incarnation of them is significant enough, anyway), Bandana Dee's best chance may have to be if he is pushed to get in as an amalgam of every Dee out there.

Sure, that may make him less special, but I think it'd be a creative way to not entirely copypaste Kumazaki's work.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Man, I really hope that everyone developing the DLC understands this:
1541092767413.png
I don't wanna see us get nothing from DLC and have this be the pathetic excuse for representing Bandana Dee.

xzx

Smash Lord
Hi Bandana Waddle Dee supporters, and cheers from the Paper Mario support thread! I just made this (long) comment on the Paper Mario support thread that kinda applies to Bandana Waddle Dee as well (warning, it's long):

"We literally got a Mario character that started with the letter "P" and it wasn't Paper Mario... .-.

But is it really game over for us? Hear me out:

Paper Mario isn't an AT. That's a very big plus for his inclusion as a potential DLC character. He may not be a Spirit either. If he is then (maybe) RIP, but otherwise we still have a decent chance. (Dillon is both a Spirit and an AT, but I don't think a playable character can be both honestly.)

Sakurai basically confirmed that we will be getting 5 DLC characters (if we exclude Piranha Plant). My guess/theory is that those 5 characters was planned for the base roster, but due to time constraints and whatnot, those 5 couldn't be finished in time. (IIRC Sakurai said that we will be getting those 5 fighters within next year, meaning that he must have done some prework on them already, since creating a character from scratch takes about 6 months or so. (That was Smash 4 Mewtwo's case, if you remember.)) So instead of scrapping them he wanted to make them as DLC. It is very likely that he chose those "lucky" 5 characters from the Smash Ballot. Which popular (or recent characters) characters are left?

Isaac: AT
Springman: AT
Rex: Mii Costume
Skull Kid: AT
Geno: Spirit
Dixie Kong
Shadow: AT
Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Octoling (Splatoon 2)
Someone else I've might forgotten.

If we narrow down the choices we've got these characters left:

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Dixie Kong
Octoling (Splatoon 2)

If those characters didn't have a shot at being DLC then I think at the very least Bandana Waddle Dee (given his popularity) and Paper Mario would have been Assist Trophies. Of course, they could just be Spirits like everyone else, but I'd really think that Sakurai would have made them ATs instead, maybe even Elma, Dixie Kong, Octoling and Banjo-Kazooie too.

So my prediction of who the 5 DLC characters will be are following:

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Elma
Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee
Either a Gen VIII Pokémon to promote the next Pokémon generation or a crazy Sakurai pick (i.e. Chorus Kids) or a Square Enix character (possibly Geno, given the Square Enix rumor and Sakurai wanting him in Brawl)

If I understood it correctly, we would'nt get any more Echo fighters, meaning that Dixie Kong and Octoling are out. (Though they could still be semi-clones.) So my conclusion is that Paper Mario very well could be a DLC character! He actually still has a shot! (Though I'm not gonna raise my expectations way too high, but they have risen nonetheless.)

Guys, we still have hope! Don't lose it until it is over! All popular ballot characters (that aren't playable fighters) have been represented in either as an Assist Trophy or as a Mii costume. (In the case of Geno he may still be in despite being a Spirit, but I doubt so and now actually believes that a Square Enix not Geno will be a character.)

The only things I can see that speaks against Paper Mario is that if he is a Spirit and that being a Spirit equals not being a playable character (á la Assist Trophies), or this: Every DLC fighter will come with their own stage. Paper Mario already has a stage named "Paper Mario". Either he will get another stage, or he isn't a DLC character because of this. (There are rumored to be 5 more stages and they line up with Sakurai's "5 DLC characters, 5 new stages" plan, so this could either hinder Paper Mario's chances or simply mean that we will get another Paper Mario stage!)

We believe in you, Paper Mario!"

Yeah this kinda applies to you as well. n_n Cheers!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Seriously, anyone complaining about Bandana Waddle Dee being a Goomba with a headband can get ****ed after that Piranha Plant reveal.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hi Bandana Waddle Dee supporters, and cheers from the Paper Mario support thread! I just made this (long) comment on the Paper Mario support thread that kinda applies to Bandana Waddle Dee as well (warning, it's long):

"We literally got a Mario character that started with the letter "P" and it wasn't Paper Mario... .-.

But is it really game over for us? Hear me out:

Paper Mario isn't an AT. That's a very big plus for his inclusion as a potential DLC character. He may not be a Spirit either. If he is then (maybe) RIP, but otherwise we still have a decent chance. (Dillon is both a Spirit and an AT, but I don't think a playable character can be both honestly.)

Sakurai basically confirmed that we will be getting 5 DLC characters (if we exclude Piranha Plant). My guess/theory is that those 5 characters was planned for the base roster, but due to time constraints and whatnot, those 5 couldn't be finished in time. (IIRC Sakurai said that we will be getting those 5 fighters within next year, meaning that he must have done some prework on them already, since creating a character from scratch takes about 6 months or so. (That was Smash 4 Mewtwo's case, if you remember.)) So instead of scrapping them he wanted to make them as DLC. It is very likely that he chose those "lucky" 5 characters from the Smash Ballot. Which popular (or recent characters) characters are left?

Isaac: AT
Springman: AT
Rex: Mii Costume
Skull Kid: AT
Geno: Spirit
Dixie Kong
Shadow: AT
Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Octoling (Splatoon 2)
Someone else I've might forgotten.

If we narrow down the choices we've got these characters left:

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Dixie Kong
Octoling (Splatoon 2)

If those characters didn't have a shot at being DLC then I think at the very least Bandana Waddle Dee (given his popularity) and Paper Mario would have been Assist Trophies. Of course, they could just be Spirits like everyone else, but I'd really think that Sakurai would have made them ATs instead, maybe even Elma, Dixie Kong, Octoling and Banjo-Kazooie too.

So my prediction of who the 5 DLC characters will be are following:

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Elma
Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee
Either a Gen VIII Pokémon to promote the next Pokémon generation or a crazy Sakurai pick (i.e. Chorus Kids) or a Square Enix character (possibly Geno, given the Square Enix rumor and Sakurai wanting him in Brawl)

If I understood it correctly, we would'nt get any more Echo fighters, meaning that Dixie Kong and Octoling are out. (Though they could still be semi-clones.) So my conclusion is that Paper Mario very well could be a DLC character! He actually still has a shot! (Though I'm not gonna raise my expectations way too high, but they have risen nonetheless.)

Guys, we still have hope! Don't lose it until it is over! All popular ballot characters (that aren't playable fighters) have been represented in either as an Assist Trophy or as a Mii costume. (In the case of Geno he may still be in despite being a Spirit, but I doubt so and now actually believes that a Square Enix not Geno will be a character.)

The only things I can see that speaks against Paper Mario is that if he is a Spirit and that being a Spirit equals not being a playable character (á la Assist Trophies), or this: Every DLC fighter will come with their own stage. Paper Mario already has a stage named "Paper Mario". Either he will get another stage, or he isn't a DLC character because of this. (There are rumored to be 5 more stages and they line up with Sakurai's "5 DLC characters, 5 new stages" plan, so this could either hinder Paper Mario's chances or simply mean that we will get another Paper Mario stage!)

We believe in you, Paper Mario!"

Yeah this kinda applies to you as well. n_n Cheers!
I believe Dixie and Octolings were seen as spirits. Otherwise decent picks. I don't see Gen 8 Pokemon as likely though. Smash's development time (even DLC) doesn't line up for it at all. Geno or Sora might be the best bets.

In case you plan on staying a while, welcome to the Bandana Dee thread. :)

D

Deleted member

Alright thank goodness. Still hope for Bandana Dee.

Hoping for DLC.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
So Bandana Dee will be DLC

he ain't even a Spirit.

AND REMEMBER that even if he isn't...

does it really matter in the long run?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
TBH, I am thinking that Sakurai did Piranha Plant purely for the jokes like Pichu and nothing more.

I do not think that Piranha is a strong beneficial factor to Dee.

Piranha seems like the exception to the rule, where Sakurai's criteria is 100% briefly loosened to come up with an insane, wacky fighter idea.

Bandanna Dee would have likely been judged in the same way as other unique newcomers like K. Rool and Ridley if he was seriously considered for DLC.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
Fully putting my support for Bandana Dee Ell Cee. He seems like he would be a fun character to play.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Wait, if Piranha was meant to be a joke character, why does this destroy the Hat Goomba argument? I don't think BWD should be considered a joke character.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Wait, if Piranha was meant to be a joke character, why does this destroy the Hat Goomba argument? I don't think BWD should be considered a joke character.
Piranha Plant is a generic enemy. People were against Bandana Dee because they think he's 'generic' as well, so they called him a 'Hat Goomba'. Bandana Dee isn't a joke character, we're just saying that he's more likely than ever now due to Piranha's inclusion

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Dee's chances have gone up as opposed to every other contender getting deconfirmed or relegated to never-ever status, so good luck on getting DLC!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
DeeLC predictions:
Dee
Banjo and Kazooie
FE: 3 Houses rep
Guest (Master Chief?)
Indie rep (Hollow Knight/Shantae?)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant is a generic enemy. People were against Bandana Dee because they think he's 'generic' as well, so they called him a 'Hat Goomba'. Bandana Dee isn't a joke character, we're just saying that he's more likely than ever now due to Piranha's inclusion
B D definitely would've deserved the spot more, if it wasnt that it's really a wtf character that they like to add

Graizen

Smash Champion
Never lose Hope! Your character can be a DLC! Fight for it!

Im fighting for Agumon as well!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, I've been wondering since this morning, is it so good for Bandana Dee not to be seen in the spirits mode?
I mean, many are saying spirits are the new trophies. With that said, Mewtwo and Lucas both had trophies before being DLC. I'm wondering if not being seen in any form harms him more than helps...

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Well we are now in a weird limbo. With Piranha Plant any real argument against him is null void. Now there are guaranteed 5 more characters as DLC so only 5 chances now. Hope has been rekindled

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
This direct gives me hope for the Dee to make it in as DLC! If a generic Piranha can get in so can our Waddle boi

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Hey just want to say that I've literally never seen anyone ever say "hat goomba" outside of this thread. I hate seeing people here act like others say it.

D

Deleted member

Still hope for DeeLC.

Won't give up hope on the D.

I won't be here to continue supporting him here but don't worry will still support him.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
That AT reel had me on edge the whole time. Thankfully he survived.

Not only that, a god damn Piranha Plant killed the hat Goomba argument. So things are looking up for our little guy, at least for DLC.

Shame about the other disconfirmations, though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom