• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm. Hmm indeed...

Yeah, that comment I feel really hurts our chances. With two characters already known (Incineroar and Ken), and Geno almost being guaranteed, that leaves very little room for our little Waddle Warrior. DLC could be our chance, but...
My biggest concern with DLC is he will have some tough competition. If the last two are incineroar and geno, then his DLC competition will be characters like: Isaac, skull kid, Rayman, banjo, Shantae. Plus any other third party characters/ random out of no where characters. PLUS any new characters that were introduced post 2016. Rex/pyra, springman etc... I’m hoping for the base game bc DLC could be really rough!
I think you sum it up perfectly. Take into account that even without this tough competition, DLC could focus on advertising new games like Corrin was used for in Smash 4, not just slightly recent ones like ARMS/Rex and Pyra.

That said, I refuse to believe he didn't even make it as an assist trophy! Unless it really was just more Super Star bias all along?

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how much "slower" the reveals can get. We've been getting them once a month since August right? That's gotta mean we got two more reveals till the game comes out.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just want to bring up that a lot of people seem to be misinterpreting Sakurai's words here, he says that reveals will go at a slower pace from here on out, but he never said that there would be less reveals. In fact, I'm thinking he's referring to the blowout of info we got in August before Isabelle.

Just something to keep in mind.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
Yeah he also doesn’t specify characters will be slower he says character trailers. There is still a good chance not every new comer could be getting a trailer. I’ve had a strange hunch since the blog started that we may get a character or two revealed on the blog and not a trailer or smash direct. I could very well see BWD make his debut on the blog and I would not be mad if he didn’t get a trailer as long as he is in the game.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Yeah he also doesn’t specify characters will be slower he says character trailers. There is still a good chance not every new comer could be getting a trailer. I’ve had a strange hunch since the blog started that we may get a character or two revealed on the blog and not a trailer or smash direct. I could very well see BWD make his debut on the blog and I would not be mad if he didn’t get a trailer as long as he is in the game.
Ah, so like the good 'ol Brawl Dojo days, when the reveals of the day could really be anything.

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
Man, it'd be so weird if they started introducing new characters without a trailer. But you gotta admit, it would definitely throw speculators for a loop.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
With two characters already known (Incineroar and Ken)
I'm not saying "already known" until it's officially confirmed. Although those are both likely characters, and Ken is a very likely echo, I'm thinking that Bandana Dee has a high chance of getting in over Geno/Incineroar, or maybe all 3 could get in.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Bandana is perhaps the single most deserving character to be included for smash. The tease in Kirby Star Allies practically confirms him imo. Sign me up as a supporter!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Have I been signed up as a supporter yet? (I'm not even sure if I've asked to be signed up as a supporter.)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
It's been a while since I've popped in here. Still hoping and praying for Bandana Dee. I've even had three dreams where he was confirmed.

Dead Sans

Smash Rookie
Well, with smash ultimate slowly but surely nearing release, and since bandanna dee is one of the most popular characters that isn’t A) already a playable character, or B) an assist trophy, I want to say that 2 echo fighters, probably shadow as an echo of sonic and Impa as an echo of sheik, and 1 more new fighter, that clearly being bandanna dee, will be confirmed, making the full base roster for super smash brothers ultimate.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I know this is incredibly subjective but I still don't understand people who don't want Bandana Dee in at this point.
Also the Ken image is fake and the Incineroar rumors are uncredible.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree that Incineroar is unlikely due to how it's not being pushed that much, but have we really found out that the Ken pic is fake?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I agree that Incineroar is unlikely due to how it's not being pushed that much, but have we really found out that the Ken pic is fake?
It's the only real explanation. Nintendo would have addressed it by now if it was real.
Other than that, Ken's design doesn't follow the cel-shading of Ultimate. So far 8/9 of the newcomers were popular requests, and Ken isn't too big. And besides, if they were going to break the "one only" rule for guests, SF would probably be the last IP to get a second fighter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And besides, if they were going to break the "one only" rule for guests
In what world is Castlevania not a third party? Richter even debuted on and has his most famous role on non-Nintendo systems.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In what world is Castlevania not a third party? Richter even debuted on and has his most famous role on non-Nintendo systems.
They said it during the direct: Richter is in because they had to use parts of his games in Simon's moveset. It's an exception they made for other reasons.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Yeesh. The contrast between the Bandana Brigade and Lycanroc's pack is suddenly very clear to me. Updates on here are almost rapid-fire compared to the Lycanroc thread.

There's really only one option if you ask me.

Which has the same melody as:
This song is sung by the Bandana boy himself after all. It's pretty much his character song at this point.

EDIT: To prevent double posting, I'll just edit this post.

There hasn't been any official word, but there has been a Datamine revealing who the Dream Friends in wave 3 are going to be.
Magolor, Taranza, Susie, and the Jambastion Mages.
Yeah, I actually noticed a few weeks ago that the Apple Harvest theme is just like the Apple Juice song. It's really cool that they did that.
Man, I really love the Apple Juice song, but its so hard for me to imagine our boy with such a feminine voice. I guess Kirby has a similar voice, but I grew up listing to that. If the singer comes back to voice him in Smash I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Women voice young boys in games and animation all the time. Considering how well child actors tend to work out, it's kind of a given. I'd really like for that actress to play him in Smash though, so at the very least he'd have his own voice.
I mean we could still get the Inkling-esque voice which Waddle Dees have during gameplay in Battle Royale.
That's a possibility. At the very least, Bandana Dee doesn't have to wind up mute like the Villager.
They said it during the direct: Richter is in because they had to use parts of his games in Simon's moveset. It's an exception they made for other reasons.
Umm.....No, they never explicitly stated Richter is in because Simon uses some of his moves. All they said on the subject was that Richter uses some of Simon's moves as an Echo Fighter, but Simon also uses some of Richter's moves, so Simon also echoes Richter. Almost literately their exact phrasing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a possibility. At the very least, Bandana Dee doesn't have to wind up mute like the Villager.
Let's consider the following: Sakurai had some creative input for the Kirby anime. Many of the enemy species from the games had a voice of varying degrees in it. Except the Waddle Dees.

Being the stickler he is, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai does leave Bandana Waddle Dee mute. Plus he tends not to reference stuff from other people unless he absolutely has to (although the Dee fanbase in Japan is big enough that they'd likely riot if he doesn't use a voice for BWD).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heard what Sakurai said, makes sense. Don't think it means there's not that much characters left. Just think it means there won't be huge info all the time. I'm fine with that. Let's see what happens.

Hope Bandana Dee is one of those characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Heard what Sakurai said, makes sense. Don't think it means there's not that much characters left. Just think it means there won't be huge info all the time. I'm fine with that. Let's see what happens.

Hope Bandana Dee is one of those characters.
Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. An entire month of no info is still going to be tedious tho. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't worry about it month passed by so fast, the game is almost here I believe we'll be getting info soon. In what form not sure but we will get something, eventually.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
The Japanese magazine polls that put Bandana Dee up near the top of their lists suggests to me that Sakurai is well aware of how popular our Bandana Boi is. Might be saving him for DeeLC?

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
The Japanese magazine polls that put Bandana Dee up near the top of their lists suggests to me that Sakurai is well aware of how popular our Bandana Boi is. Might be saving him for DeeLC?
It’s stuff like this that makes me remain hopeful even if Dee doesn’t make the base roster. As I’m pretty sure characters like Roy got into smash 4 DLC due to fan demand. (Although he was a veteran clone turned seni-clone.) But still. It definitely gives me reason to hope.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I feel like I’m losing hope for base game and then I keep thinking about how Kawasaki is a new Kirby AT and BWD hasn’t been shown off in the background in any stages or final smashes. We still have tenish assist trophies to show off so maybe Kirby could get three assist trophies? Idk if he doesn’t make base game/ DLC/ AT I think it would be safe to say that sakurai doesn’t like the character of BWD (which is also a hunch I have rn)

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee in any form, what be fine to me. Hope it's as character but a trophy would work too. Or hopefully as DLC if they do it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly guys... At this point he’s in or he isn’t, it’s all or nothing for him but really there’s more pointing toward him than against him. I doubt he’s an Assist Trophy because he’d be kind of redundant with the Kirby Assist Trophies we already have, because if he was he’d likely either use rapid-jab spear attacks or throw food, which both Knuckle Joe and Chef Kawasaki already do respectively and Kirby has only ever gotten one new Assist Trophy every game. He can’t be in a Final Smash since we haven’t seen him in Dedede’s or Kirby’s Final Smash’s, and it would make no sense for him to be in Meta Knight’s. He also can’t be a stage element since all of the stages are returning. This leaves only one other option, a normal Trophy, but even then he’s so big of a character I just can’t see them just going for a standard collectible as that sort of acknowledgement. If he really was just an Assist Trophy he would have been confirmed by now I’m willing to wager, imo, either he’s playable or he isn’t, nothing else to it.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Bandana Dee's description in Star Allies is directly hinting at him being a DLC character by using an in-universe explanation for his absence in the base roster, with him "being selected to make a 'special appearance', which he declined due to him feeling as though he needed more time to practice his spear moves.".

1538166750443.png

Personally, I feel like part of me would prefer to have him as DLC rather than having him in the base roster, as it would allow him to use abilities he didn't have at the time of the roster's finalization, like his Battle Royale parasol, or his elemental moves in Star Allies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like Bandana Dee's description in Star Allies is directly hinting at him being a DLC character by using an in-universe explanation for his absence in the base roster, with him "being selected to make a 'special appearance', which he declined due to him feeling as though he needed more time to practice his spear moves.".

View attachment 167082

Personally, I feel like part of me would prefer to have him as DLC rather than having him in the base roster, as it would allow him to use abilities he didn't have at the time of the roster's finalization, like his Battle Royale parasol, or his elemental moves in Star Allies.
Actually something you may not know is that it can’t be a hint for DLC because DLC is finished after the game’s release and this was before Smash was even announced.

Like I said, in this case it’s literally all or nothing guys.

D

Deleted member

Actually something you may not know is that it can’t be a hint for DLC because DLC is finished after the game’s release and this was before Smash was even announced.

Like I said, in this case it’s literally all or nothing guys.
I dunno. I feel like at that point in development (early 2018) they already have a bit of an idea as to who they'll add as DLC. If I remember correctly, Mewtwo's development began when Smash 4 was at this point, and the same is likely true about a few of the other DLC characters.

I'd be pretty surprised if they haven't at least started to think about which characters they would add as DLC.

(Plus, Kirby Star Allies was released eight days after the first Smash trailer, just to let you know)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly guys... At this point he’s in or he isn’t, it’s all or nothing for him but really there’s more pointing toward him than against him. I doubt he’s an Assist Trophy because he’d be kind of redundant with the Kirby Assist Trophies we already have, because if he was he’d likely either use rapid-jab spear attacks or throw food, which both Knuckle Joe and Chef Kawasaki already do respectively and Kirby has only ever gotten one new Assist Trophy every game. He can’t be in a Final Smash since we haven’t seen him in Dedede’s or Kirby’s Final Smash’s, and it would make no sense for him to be in Meta Knight’s. He also can’t be a stage element since all of the stages are returning. This leaves only one other option, a normal Trophy, but even then he’s so big of a character I just can’t see them just going for a standard collectible as that sort of acknowledgement. If he really was just an Assist Trophy he would have been confirmed by now I’m willing to wager, imo, either he’s playable or he isn’t, nothing else to it.
Yeah, that's what I wager too. After the promotional push that HAL has given the little guy, I just can't see B.W.D. being relegated to a mere trophy or even AT. It just feels... VERY wrong at this point in time.

Honestly, I think I've already said this before, but as long as Bandana Waddle Dee is added to Smash Ultimate, I legit don't care who else they add to this game. Granted, there ARE others I'd REALLY want in Smash (Dixie Kong, Lark, Mona, Isaac, Ray, Lip, Barbara, Shantae, etc.), but he alone would make this roster for me....

BTW, wasn't Rainbow Curse released around the time of Smash Ultimate's project plan? We shouldn't forget that, as well as B.W.D.'s Guest Star blurb in Star Allies. Compare that to Rodin's little message to Bayonetta in the Switch version of her second game where he makes a not-so-subtle reference to Smash. From there, guess who appears in Ultimate shortly after?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I dunno. I feel like at that point in development (early 2018) they already have a bit of an idea as to who they'll add as DLC. If I remember correctly, Mewtwo's development began when Smash 4 was at this point, and the same is likely true about a few of the other DLC characters.

I'd be pretty surprised if they haven't at least started to think about which characters they would add as DLC.

(Plus, Kirby Star Allies was released eight days after the first Smash trailer, just to let you know)
Mewtwo started development after the release of the 3DS game. They’ve specifically stated that they don’t start DLC until after the game has gone gold, it was the same last game as well. I appreciate the enthusiasm but it’s kind of a stretch at this point in time. Currently it’s base game or nothing guys.
Yeah, that's what I wager too. After the promotional push that HAL has given the little guy, I just can't see B.W.D. being relegated to a mere trophy or even AT. It just feels... VERY wrong at this point in time.

Honestly, I think I've already said this before, but as long as Bandana Waddle Dee is added to Smash Ultimate, I legit don't care who else they add to this game. Granted, there ARE others I'd REALLY want in Smash (Dixie Kong, Lark, Mona, Isaac, Ray, Lip, Barbara, Shantae, etc.), but he alone would make this roster for me....

BTW, wasn't Rainbow Curse released around the time of Smash Ultimate's project plan? We shouldn't forget that, as well as B.W.D.'s Guest Star blurb in Star Allies. Compare that to Rodin's little message to Bayonetta in the Switch version of her second game where he makes a not-so-subtle reference to Smash. From there, guess who appears in Ultimate shortly after?
Rainbow Curse was released in January of 2015, so about a year before the project plan was finalized, seeing as how Sakurai had made a statement that he was keeping a close eye on the Kirby series around that time, I think it was honestly on his mind about his relevancy. They’ve built him up a lot recently as well in terms of marketing and general promotion so really at this point, everything seems to point toward him, it’s just we can’t say anything till we see for ourselves.

D

Deleted member

What a true warrior that Bandana Des is. He is dedicated to his craft of being a spear fighter I respect that for sure.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Mewtwo started development after the release of the 3DS game. They’ve specifically stated that they don’t start DLC until after the game has gone gold, it was the same last game as well. I appreciate the enthusiasm but it’s kind of a stretch at this point in time. Currently it’s base game or nothing guys.

Rainbow Curse was released in January of 2015, so about a year before the project plan was finalized, seeing as how Sakurai had made a statement that he was keeping a close eye on the Kirby series around that time, I think it was honestly on his mind about his relevancy. They’ve built him up a lot recently as well in terms of marketing and general promotion so really at this point, everything seems to point toward him, it’s just we can’t say anything till we see for ourselves.
This is true. I think Rainbow Curse's timing spelled very good for BD in terms of how relevant he was in the game. Based on that they probably have more grounds to believe he'd be even more relevant at the time of Ultimate, unlike with Pokemon reps where it's more complicated. (See: Greninja)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This is true. I think Rainbow Curse's timing spelled very good for BD in terms of how relevant he was in the game. Based on that they probably have more grounds to believe he'd be even more relevant at the time of Ultimate, unlike with Pokemon reps where it's more complicated. (See: Greninja)
It also helps that he (B.W.D.) was the ONLY other playable character in that game, so he certainly wasn't at risk of being ignored for someone else in that game.

Top Bottom